Cancer drug wiped patient's fingerprints

May 28, 2009 Full story: www.abc.net.au 12

A patient who took an anti-cancer drug lost his fingerprints, which caused him to be detained for hours when he tried to visit the United States.

Full Story
CSI

Crewe, VA

#1 May 28, 2009
That is unusual, he must have an infection that sloughed skin off.

Since: Mar 09

Gastonia, NC

#2 May 28, 2009
If drug was stopped would prints return?
LOBOS SUCK AND HOW

Albuquerque, NM

#3 May 28, 2009
hey thanks for telling criminals and terrorist how to remove there finger prints.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#4 May 28, 2009
Godiva-NC wrote:
If drug was stopped would prints return?
They might. However, scientists and doctors don't have that much experience with that scenario, since this is a pretty rare side-effect. But it seems if the inflammation stops, then the top layer of skin would grow back.
CSI

Crewe, VA

#5 May 28, 2009
If the infection is deep the prints won't grow back. I had severe burns to one hand and that shows on the finger print pad, however it does make for an unusual print which makes it harder for the criminal to escape.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#6 May 28, 2009
Speaking of hands there is this principal filing a complaint against the superintendent over a missed high five:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090529/ap_on_fe_...

She didn't put her hand up soon enough, so she got slapped in the head. But he thinks her complaint was political, that she staged this in retaliation for a demotion.

“There's one for ya!”

Since: Oct 08

here, now

#7 May 28, 2009
Hey, Tony, we just scored us a pallet of Capecitabine...fell off the back of a truck...now our guys can hide out without having to go into the Program.
Chemo packs a power punch

United States

#8 May 28, 2009
Chemo makes other drugs seem like baby aspirin. When I was on Taxol treatment (chemo), among other crappy side effects, the bottoms and sides of my feet began to shed skin. I'd never experienced anything like this. It seemed like I lost a layer of skin every day or so, and used almost an entire box of moleskin each day. This condition wasn't too good as it soon got pretty painful for me to walk to work each day. But, once the treatment ended the skin finally stopped peeling and my feet were good as new (except for lingering numbness).
Outside of cancer patients, I don't think anyone, including terrorists, would willingly take chemo drugs once they'd tried them. At doses high enough to make skin peel deeply, the drugs screw up thinking for quite a while and cause great fatigue. You'd find it hard enough just to get through a day, let alone take part in terrorist activity. So, chemo drugs are unlikely to intentionally be used by terrorists.
joann in pa

Lansdale, PA

#9 May 29, 2009
Chemo packs a power punch wrote:
Chemo makes other drugs seem like baby aspirin. When I was on Taxol treatment (chemo), among other crappy side effects, the bottoms and sides of my feet began to shed skin. I'd never experienced anything like this. It seemed like I lost a layer of skin every day or so, and used almost an entire box of moleskin each day. This condition wasn't too good as it soon got pretty painful for me to walk to work each day. But, once the treatment ended the skin finally stopped peeling and my feet were good as new (except for lingering numbness).
Outside of cancer patients, I don't think anyone, including terrorists, would willingly take chemo drugs once they'd tried them. At doses high enough to make skin peel deeply, the drugs screw up thinking for quite a while and cause great fatigue. You'd find it hard enough just to get through a day, let alone take part in terrorist activity. So, chemo drugs are unlikely to intentionally be used by terrorists.
bummer. hope you are cancer free
Torsten Fiebig

UK

#10 May 29, 2009

That the illogical, but you must be careful because the skin may have a particular symptom, I recommend seeing your doctor to get a prescription was required, because the cancer is very painful, I take oxycontin for 3 years and is unique to calming when the terrible pain I have in medicine mega_pharma@mail.com found this a good price and confidence in the product because I work with them 8 months ago and I have no problems, I wish you luck and blessings.
Cancer-Survivor

Crewe, VA

#11 May 29, 2009
I too wish you luck and prayers for a full recovery.
G Blue

Hendersonville, TN

#12 Feb 16, 2013
Yep, lost my fingerprints too. Wonder if they'll come back?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oncology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Myeloma Awareness Day held at Queen's Park Dec 14 kids catching on too 1
Cancer Test Dec 12 kurtcooksalot16 1
Therapy found effective in older, African-Ameri... Nov 26 Zombie Corpse Rental 1
Black women die more often from breast cancer t... Oct '14 Spotted Girl 1
Doctors: Being Overweight Increases Risk for Ca... Oct '14 Does Not Compute 1
Breast Cancer Study Sep '14 paddyomalley 8
The Lancet journals: Three-quarters of depresse... Aug '14 MMR CAUSES AUTISM 2
More from around the web