End-of-life patients need big picture

There are 3 comments on the www.usatoday.com story from Jun 11, 2008, titled End-of-life patients need big picture. In it, www.usatoday.com reports that:

Cure: Eliminate all cancer cells in the body, even if the cancer is widespread. This is rarely if ever possible with advanced breast, colon, lung or prostate cancer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.usatoday.com.

Since: Dec 05

Union, NJ

#1 Jun 17, 2008
One would ask, "Who is the customer of a medical oncologist's services?" You might think the patient. True enough. But oncology is also a referral specialty.

Medical oncologists have to be good doctors, who provide good services, or they will lose their referrals to medical oncologists who provide better services.

There are conflicts of interest wherever self-referral rears its ugly head. Surgeons are one of the most notorious self-referrers on the planet, but it's hard to figure out how to correct this.

A surgeon can spend five minutes telling a patient he needs an operation and a half hour doing the operation and then have three 5 minute post-op care sessions and make thousands of dollars.

Or the surgeon can spend the same amount of time in non-surgical examination, work-up, explanations, and ongoing care and essentially make peanuts.

Over the last 20 years, there has been a lot more per capita abuse of chemotherapy than of surgical oncology, in terms of cost benefit ratio to the system and toxicity benefit ratio to the patient.

If medical oncologists were paid for their thinking skills rather than for selling medications, the use of drugs may fall.
Corbin

UK

#2 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
Luis
#3 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oncology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CTCA Oncologist Discusses Cancer Risks Among Mi... May 8 Ms Louisiana 1
News Risk of a calamity if North haze not tackled ur... Apr 27 norman 1
News To Your Good Health: Mental health doctors impo... Apr 26 HumanSpirit 2
News To battle cancer, choose oncologist with care (May '08) Apr '15 VoteJoe 31
News Valerie Harper to Keynote Extraordinary Healer ... Apr '15 _Learsi 1
News Author Robert B. Marcus Jr. Promotes His Politi... Apr '15 Waffle_Eris 1
News What doctor thinks about 'Jolie effect' Mar '15 Disclaimer 5
More from around the web