Putting food on the table for $31.50 ...

Putting food on the table for $31.50 per week presents tough challenges

There are 49 comments on the Tomahawk Online story from Jul 10, 2013, titled Putting food on the table for $31.50 per week presents tough challenges. In it, Tomahawk Online reports that:

Despite reports of a growing economy, more than 47,000,000 Americans are receiving assistance from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program , also referred to as food stamps.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tomahawk Online.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Old Guy

Shady Valley, TN

#3 Jul 22, 2013
My parents raised six kids on less than that. In the 50's Dad brought home $70 every 2 weeks. I know prices have gone up but a family of four getting $126 per week can eat a healthy diet. We bought 50 lb sacks of potatoes, 10 pound bags of beans and still had money for veggies. Mom made our bread. We had a garden and canned. I would bet that many of those find room in that budget for cigs and some even drugs. And I bet most of these people are obese. Starving people rarely are 40% overweight. Don't complain.
sharonsharing

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jul 22, 2013
Potatoes are not healthy food. The reason I am obese is because I eat a lot of potatoes that I raised in my garden and macaroni is fairly inexpensive but is starchy. Beans only provide fiber, small amount of iron and protein. I cannot afford to eat daily servings of the food I need and doubt if most people can so I miss out on Vit. D, B12, C, Iron, Vit. A, and others. Rite Aid sells Flavor-rich milk so that helps with my calcium intake.
I am only on prescription and I don't smoke and b/c of different issues cannot exercise.
grandma

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jul 23, 2013
Them taters make you fat when you don't git out an work it off an beans hurts your belly. Dem deer eat ma beans but aint been around ater somebody tolt me about soap. I have some from last year so I will have food all winter less some hongry person comes around. blackberry is fiber and has viti mins and they are free if you aint too lazy ta pick em. Wats that little lemon on top yur remarks? Is lemon good fer you?

Since: Nov 13

Johnson City, TN

#6 Nov 3, 2013
SNAP is being cut to everyone and this will hurt children especially. You see these people riding up and down the road when there is nothing wrong with them and women shacked up with a man who takes food from her kids. I have been at the grocery line once when a small girl told the adults that she did not like the food choices. When I looked, I saw sardines, packs of meats, chips and dip and not much of anything else. They told her to shut up but finally threw a candy bar at her.
It is too bad that there is not a shelter open to children throughout the week then send them home with a food bag on the weekend. Give this center the food stamps for the children and cut the resources to the sorry parent and live-in boyfriend. They could buy in bulk and save a lot of money. The food pantry's need a better way of handing out food too.

Johnson City, TN

#7 Nov 3, 2013
grandma wrote:
Them taters make you fat when you don't git out an work it off an beans hurts your belly. Dem deer eat ma beans but aint been around ater somebody tolt me about soap. I have some from last year so I will have food all winter less some hongry person comes around. blackberry is fiber and has viti mins and they are free if you aint too lazy ta pick em. Wats that little lemon on top yur remarks? Is lemon good fer you?
You're too kind grandma and smart too. I bet you are like my grandma and feed anyone who comes to your door.

Johnson City, TN

#8 Nov 4, 2013
hint wrote:
SNAP is being cut to everyone and this will hurt children especially. You see these people riding up and down the road when there is nothing wrong with them and women shacked up with a man who takes food from her kids. I have been at the grocery line once when a small girl told the adults that she did not like the food choices. When I looked, I saw sardines, packs of meats, chips and dip and not much of anything else. They told her to shut up but finally threw a candy bar at her.
It is too bad that there is not a shelter open to children throughout the week then send them home with a food bag on the weekend. Give this center the food stamps for the children and cut the resources to the sorry parent and live-in boyfriend. They could buy in bulk and save a lot of money. The food pantry's need a better way of handing out food too.
I just want to add that this was in Boone, North Carolina. Our granddaughter attends ASU there and there are some "interesting" couples who live in the condos'. I have seen several blue tags in cars and trucks here and I really cannot see their disability. I know I am not to judge but they are taking the spot of someone who might truly need to park closer to the store.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#9 Nov 4, 2013
my grandma used to talk about the soup line, depression era I think. Maybe the gov't should start a food pantry in the schools .... oatmeal, dry milk, beans, rice and canned veggies. Why do they have to have a debit card and buy all that SNAP... junk food.... then medicaid has to pay for the kids dental work.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#10 Nov 4, 2013
If people would get up off their lazy azzes, and spend an hr of "family time" in the kitchen/dining room with everyone helping....yes you can easily feed people a good/heathy meal for under $15 a day....3 meals and a snack or two

It wil require some thought and planning and take about a month or two to "stock up" (some stuff so it flows better)
But if your a lazy azz and think its cheaper to eat all meals take out.....your wrong, eating craptastic processed found and are probably over wt because of what your eaing...only because you think it costs to much to eat healthier
must be nice

Jonesborough, TN

#11 Nov 4, 2013
I myself have been in the grocery stores and witnessed on several accounts people with food stamp cards , wasting it on junk food ! they will have chips , candy , cakes , soda , and anything else that don' have to be prepared ! it's a shame that other people provide it for them , and it just gets wasted , and it's also a shame that they spend the food stamps on such foolishness , and get their health in such bad shape then we have to also provide their healthcare for high blood pressure, diabetes , high cholesterol , and heart failure , which just drives up the cost on everybody else ! I know parents that go and sign up on food stamps and then don't even use it on the kids they have because they live with other relatives , and are their responsibilities . and another thing that pisses me off, is to be in line at the store and have someone pay fore their groceries with a food stamp card , and then tell the cashier that they want a carton of Marlboro , and will pay for it with cash ! if they have the money for cigarettes and other non-necessary items , then they should be able to pay for their own groceries !!!!
corn pong READ

Johnson City, TN

#12 Nov 4, 2013
corn pong, people gonna buy what they choose, always have-my kin and I have always worked, raised food, preparing for every winter since I can rem. Now, just keep bellowing and whining about folks buying junk food "with our tax dollars", as if you're helping the situation? Go count all those processed goods you've prepared and, be thankful for what you've gathered in, old corn pong. it's just sickening how people get on this secret site, acting soooo superior, and boohoo about issues that YOU can't fix!
must be nice

Jonesborough, TN

#13 Nov 4, 2013
corn pong READ wrote:
corn pong, people gonna buy what they choose, always have-my kin and I have always worked, raised food, preparing for every winter since I can rem. Now, just keep bellowing and whining about folks buying junk food "with our tax dollars", as if you're helping the situation? Go count all those processed goods you've prepared and, be thankful for what you've gathered in, old corn pong. it's just sickening how people get on this secret site, acting soooo superior, and boohoo about issues that YOU can't fix!
no one is on this site bellowing , whining or acting superior to anyone !! what i'm saying is stop wasting it on junk food that costs more than more nutritional food , and stop complaining about it not lasting the whole month ! and as a matter of fact I will get on here and put what the hell I want because u don't own this site , or pay my internet bill !! so u just post whatever u like and I will do the same ! and as for these people taking advantage of government services , they better learn to spend smarter , or they will really be hurting when more and more services are cut out !! and if u happen to be 1 of the people that are affected by such cuts , then maybe u can get a job on a website commenting on other peoples posts like u are doing right now as a means to earn money !! have a nice day !!
corn pong READ

Johnson City, TN

#14 Nov 4, 2013
and of course you're still bellowing,
as I expected. you've gotta be a tough
old corn pong..........
WishHimWell

Johnson City, TN

#15 Nov 4, 2013
sharonsharing wrote:
Potatoes are not healthy food. The reason I am obese is because I eat a lot of potatoes that I raised in my garden and macaroni is fairly inexpensive but is starchy...
Agree, most of us take in too many calories from carbohydrates.
sharonsharing wrote:
Beans only provide fiber, small amount of iron and protein..
Beans only provide fiber...? Sorry, wrong.

PLEASE research this if you don't believe it: The combination of legumes (pinto, kidney, lima or other beans) PLUS grains (like rice or corn, etc.) yields complete protein for growth---it is completely as good as meat or poultry and is NOT as expensive.
This scientific fact explains why so many Tenn. farm boys grew off so well on a diet richest in cornbread (grain) and soup beans (legume).

sharonsharing wrote:
I cannot afford to eat daily servings of the food I need and doubt if most people can so I miss out on Vit. D, B12, C, Iron, Vit. A, and others. Rite Aid sells Flavor-rich milk so that helps with my calcium intake.
I am only on prescription and I don't smoke and b/c of different issues cannot exercise.
But the skin of our body manufactures Vitamin D for us when we are exposed to sunlight. That's why mothers or nannies in decades past have wrapped their babies warmly in their carriages and let them lie out in sun even in winter weather.

Iron is in dark greens like creecy greens, kale, spinach, and Vit. A is in carrots.

The B's are in whole grains so we should stay away from the gooey, white sandwich bread when we can buy a loaf of whole grain or multi grain bread.
WishHimWell

Johnson City, TN

#16 Nov 4, 2013
mntcitysuburbs wrote:
If people would get up off their lazy azzes, and spend an hr of "family time" in the kitchen/dining room with everyone helping....yes....
Yes, then everybody is peeling and dicing and learning to cook and be together...instead of unwrapping fast food wrappers.
WishHimWell

Johnson City, TN

#17 Nov 4, 2013
My WishHimWell name I am using today was about the young teacher Michael Icenhour. The thread today said he had heart attack.

It does not mean I am Ikhw. That is a sharp tongued older guy. But he has high ideals and high expectations of the human race---usually disappointed.
Not True

Pensacola, FL

#18 Nov 5, 2013
1 week @$34.69 = 1 bag yellow cornmeal -$1.86, bag of flour -$1.98, 5 pound bag of pintos - 2.98, 1 pound bacon -$3.98, 1 dozen eggs (large)-$1.40, 5 pound cabbage -.40c lb, 2 lb yellow onion -.38c lb, 1 lb tomatoes -$1.50 lb, 1 lb cucumbers -.75c, 3 green peppers -.50c ea, gallon 2% milk -$3.98, 1 bag russet potatoes -$2.98, 3lb bone-in pork chops -$1.75 lb, 1 whole chickens -$3.75 ea = Some GOOD eating. I know, I do most of the cooking and shopping. This was my shopping list last week.

Assuming you have the basics like S&P, oil, butter. seasonings, baking powder etc...

Johnson City, TN

#19 Nov 6, 2013
I have been told that there was some greens on my property but I have not seen them. My family is from the surrounding area but I never heard of the creas greens.
Mazed

Johnson City, TN

#20 Nov 6, 2013
hint wrote:
I have been told that there was some greens on my property but I have not seen them. My family is from the surrounding area but I never heard of the creas greens.
It is "field cress." Similar to water cress, but water cress grows in...well, you know, slow moving creek banks, around springs,etc.
We call the field cress "creecy greens."

You might have creecy greens growing wild on your property, but then you might not. There is a look-a-like weed, bitter and not edible at all.

The leaves of the real creecy greens are more crinkled and darker green than the look-a-like weed.

In the past we have bought creecy green seed at Tri-State and planted our own. They will tell you when to plant. Call them, but it's too late this year, I would think.
Not True

Pensacola, FL

#21 Nov 6, 2013
My Grammy had some on her property west of town, look for mountain cress in clear streams and ponds if you have those on your property. Gotta be clear, clean water though. It's got a peppery bite to it.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#22 Nov 6, 2013
All "greens" are good, if you don't like a certain taste remember this before tossing them out:
Garlic,onions,even beef bullion cubes(even vinigar white,apple cider and balsimic) could make them "taste" better so you eat them and get the nutrients.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nutrition Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Natural ED Pills Score over Drugs - Come with Z... (Jan '14) May 26 Anonymous 15
News Lunafest is all about women and will stop here ... May 17 much ado bout nuthin 1
News The sticky truth about honey May 5 mealexwar 1
Why Superfood's Evolution Makes Them Super Apr '15 glacialhealth 1
News Regular consumption of nuts reduce mortality by... Apr '15 massa 4
Do supplements even work? Apr '15 glacialhealth 1
News Passover, Easter menus celebrate renewal Apr '15 _Learsi 2
More from around the web