Samantha

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2009

Tony - I had a full body rash for 2 weeks and very, very itchy so itchy I couldn't sleep. I am convinced Goji berries are the worst food ever.
Tony

Pyrmont, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2009

Samantha wrote:
Tony - I had a full body rash for 2 weeks and very, very itchy so itchy I couldn't sleep. I am convinced Goji berries are the worst food ever.
Hi Samantha, thank you for your reply.

I stopped using Goji berries on my cereal 1 day ago. But today my back still has a rash and still very itchy.

So how long did it take for the rash and itch to go away once you stopped having Goji berries? 2 weeks?
Luke

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

Well almost a week and a half ago i bought about $2 worth of goji berries from a health food joint. They went down fine and had no reactions for the next 2 or 3 days. Since wednesday (ate them Sunday) I have had the worst stomach cramps (mid and lower pelvic region) and have actually been constepated pretty badly. Had really bad acidic vomiting a few days back. Off to the docs tomorrow to find out how to flush the crap out. Anybody had prolonged stomach problems and have a fix? So much for a so called "super food" aye!
Tony

Woonona, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

Luke wrote:
Well almost a week and a half ago i bought about $2 worth of goji berries from a health food joint....
Did you get any itching?

Suffice to say, these GoJi berries are just a scam and push by network marketing companies who have tricked health food joints and some supermarkets to stock these lethal berries. And I should have known better to trust anything that comes out of China.

NEVER EAT ANYTHING THAT COMES FROM CHINA!! THEY EVEN USE HUMAN REMAINS AND HUMAN POO AS FERTILISER.
Luke

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

nah Tony, no itching. Just stomach problems thank goodness!
Candace

Thorndale, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

HI. This is so interesting. I grow and sell goji berry plants and have been eating goji berries soaked in my green tea almost daily for almost two years. I found that the berries give me a lovely energy boost. My daughter, however, ate a bunch of dry goji berries and got an itchy, burny tongue and throat. A friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about Chinese herbs was troubled by the sudden popularity of this medicinal plant. My conclusion is that these berries are not for every constitution (body type) and there also could be something to the dye theory. If they cause an allergic reaction don't eat them and/or consult someone knowledgeable about Chinese medicine.
Tony

Pyrmont, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2009

Candace wrote:
HI. This is so interesting. I grow and sell goji berry plants and have been eating goji berries soaked in my green tea almost daily for almost two years. I found that the berries give me a lovely energy boost. My daughter, however, ate a bunch of dry goji berries and got an itchy, burny tongue and throat. A friend of mine who is very knowledgeable about Chinese herbs was troubled by the sudden popularity of this medicinal plant. My conclusion is that these berries are not for every constitution (body type) and there also could be something to the dye theory. If they cause an allergic reaction don't eat them and/or consult someone knowledgeable about Chinese medicine.
1. There is no scientific evidence at all that GoJi berries give a person an "energy boost". The only "scientific evidence" that is ever supplied is by people who have an interest in network marketing etc that sell these berries.

2. What may not affect you can affect others. So many people can consume these berries with no ill effects, and then others can become very sick and get itchy rashes, like me for example.

3. Your last comments make a lot of sense :-)
Candace

Thorndale, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2009

Judged:

Remember this is a Chinese medicinal herb. Western allopathic medicine has no interested in any so called scientific evidence, which is usually supplied by drug companies with something to push, for the effectiveness of ancient healing modalities. Yes, I, personally, am suspicious of the claims of network marketers. However, I am always sorry to see the disappearance of many very good remedies because there is a small percentage of people who are sensitive and have a reaction. PABA is a good example. Tomatoes make me break out in a rash. It wouldn't occur to me to attack tomato producers.
My response is to grow my own goji berry plants from reliable sources. That brings down the price, too. They are hardy little things.
Anthony

Galway, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

After eating goji berries for about a month, I started getting stomach cramps when eating linseed and goji berries, then I narrowed it down to the goji berries. I thought the problem might be too much iron from the goji berries. I'd love never to eat them again but I bought 10 KGs off ebay and have nine kilos left, does any1 know If I boil the berries does that get rid of stomach complaints. The first Kg went down well I thought they were doing me good, I think it was around the time I opened the second kg bag that the problems started.
Samantha

Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2009

Hi,
I first had goji berries 2 weeks ago as part of my muesli, it was one of the ingredients of the muesli so I thought since they have such a good name I'd try the muesli! 40 minutes later I was bent over in pain. I didn't vomit but I wish I had, it lasted about 30minutes and then I went to sleep.
I assumed that it was that I had ridden my bike just after breakfast.
Later that night I had another bowl of muesli (I eat a lot of muesli!) and the same thing happened. Since I eat muesli everyday and the goji berries were the only new ingredient I figured it must be them.

Earlier on today I took some goji berries from the fridge, just to see...

Same result. This time my face is red and hot too. Never again.
Candace

Thorndale, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2009

Just checking in. I still steep a tablespoon of goji berries in my green tea with no ill effects. Be sure to soak them before you eat them. They are too chewy otherwise. I get stomach aches when I drink aloe vera juice so I don't drink it. I suggest you do the same with goji berries. If they provide you with benefits continue with them. If they make you break out or get a tummy ache - stop eating them. I would suggest that if you do have a reaction to do stop eating them or consult with a person knowledgeable in Chinese herbology who can advise you about detoxing vs allergic reaction.
Health and Happiness to you
jacobian howard

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2009

wow! i really dont know what u guys are talking about, i've been taking goji berries for about 2 weeks with maca and cacao nibs,,,but I've been eating more of the goji berries like snacks, and i havent had any bad reactions yet!--i'm from milwaukee WI and i got mine from the Out Post.
It must be where you buy them from or something, or maybe my body can just take it..lol
Melinda

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2009

Obviously you do not have an allergy Jacobian! If you had a reaction like I had you would never touch them again! I can eat nuts but I know people who can't because of nut allergies. Same thing!
Carolina

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2009

While out all day yesterday I went into a health food store and purchased a bag or organic Goji Berries. I had never had one before and thought it would be a healthy snack until I got home. I continued to munch on the odd & interesting berries and this morning -- soon after my morning tea I became extremely ill with nausea and SEVERE DIARRHEA. I became rapidly dehydrated and have since drunk 3 quarts of sports drink to replenish my electrolytes. Now I have traveled Africa and Mexico extensively -- and this bout was as bad or worse than what you can experience traveling in those locales. I will never eat another Goji Berry -- as I became dangerously ill. I do avoid sulfites due to migraines, but these were 'supposed' to be organic -- so I think these berries are a bit too powerful for folks like me.
Yes, I probably ate too many ... but gees I almost felt I needed to check into a hospital.
Close to Death

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2009

I bought a sack of Goji Berries " organic" in a loose bulk format from bins in a Natural Food store in Atlanta Ga suburb. These were makred grown in the Himalayas. Obviously I have no clue on logistics of transport shipping in USA and if they came through China route or how long they have been sitting in these "BULK BINS"
I had a severe anaphalaxis shock to them, I was driving noticed hives on my left thigh, started coughing - producing thick phlem and spitting up, wen unconcious and was lucky enough to get my car into a area where lots of people were off the highway, I was told 5 hours later in the Hospital ER that I was manaully baggged pumped in a ambulance (which I do not remember seeing or heasring at all) and than incubated (tube into lungs through mouth) in the ER. My blood results came back with a enzyme that I also had a mild heart attack, no surprise since the chemicals your mass cells release can cause increased heart rate. I can tell you for sure, I am taking the big bag of Goji Berries I have left to be tested either by a private laboratory or contact the CDC. There is no way in hell, I can even imagine lettting another person buy this stuff out of this store. I called the store and they said, can you prove it was the "Goji Berries" and hung up on me! PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THESE BERRIES _ DO NOT EAT THEM !!!!
Ruth

Springfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

I started taking gensis goji juice four days ago and I am cramping terribly in my stomach. I will stop taking the juice. I alos tired it two years ago and the same thing happened.
Samantha

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2009

Close to Death wrote:
I bought a sack of Goji Berries " organic" in a loose bulk format from bins in a Natural Food store in Atlanta Ga suburb. These were makred grown in the Himalayas. Obviously I have no clue on logistics of transport shipping in USA and if they came through China route or how long they have been sitting in these "BULK BINS"
I had a severe anaphalaxis shock to them, I was driving noticed hives on my left thigh, started coughing - producing thick phlem and spitting up, wen unconcious and was lucky enough to get my car into a area where lots of people were off the highway, I was told 5 hours later in the Hospital ER that I was manaully baggged pumped in a ambulance (which I do not remember seeing or heasring at all) and than incubated (tube into lungs through mouth) in the ER. My blood results came back with a enzyme that I also had a mild heart attack, no surprise since the chemicals your mass cells release can cause increased heart rate. I can tell you for sure, I am taking the big bag of Goji Berries I have left to be tested either by a private laboratory or contact the CDC. There is no way in hell, I can even imagine lettting another person buy this stuff out of this store. I called the store and they said, can you prove it was the "Goji Berries" and hung up on me! PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THESE BERRIES _ DO NOT EAT THEM !!!!
Hi there sorry to hear this happened to you, I had something similar happen to me but luckily didn't end up in the ER. Please keep us updated as to what they find when you have the berries tested. I unfortunately had thrown my berries away...
Rene - Melbourne Aus

Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2009

I ate heaps of Goji berries the other night. My lower lip swelled to an enormous size, I had stomach pains and my palms were really itchy. Then I went cold and my body went into shock - uncontrollable shivering and difficulty breathing. I guess it was the Goji berries.
Tomas

Ogden, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Confirmed Goji Berry causing severe nausia cramping and intestinal pain.

I was introduced to goji berries during the summer as a friend I met had just opened a raw food cafe. His food NEVER (I mean never) gave me any problems it was all delicious and much of it was cacao and goji berries. He has very selective about his sources and does not trust many companies out there.(His Goji comes from Sunfood)

When I returned home from Alaska I decided to try more superfoods and bought a trail mix by Navitas taht was Goji, Cacao Nibs, and Cashews. That day I had a green shake for breakfast and a banana for a snack then just a pinch of Goji Berries afterwards. That night I was writhing in pain and couldn't imagine what it was. The last time I had this pain was about a month ago after eating dairy but I was so confused because I didn't eat any dairy or gluten (my allergies).

This pain is severe. I wanted to die. It lasted about twelve hours.

Today I had a big green salad for lunch and then feeling better grabbed another SMALL pinch of goji and within 20 minutes I am now in the exact same pain. I knew then it was the goji and instantly typed "goji stomach ache" into google and found this thread verifying it.

Again, I never had this problem before eating Goji from Sunfood, but this Navitas is killing me. I am not going to eat any Goji until I can try the Sunfood again to troubleshoot weather it is the berry itself or just this brand.
Tomas

Ogden, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2009

Update: Talked to a friend of mine who is a raw food expert. Told him I was having problems with Goji Berries and he asked me what brand I was eating. I told him I didn't remember (I threw it away) but I would check once I got back online because I had posted it here. He responded with "I'll bet 100% it was Navitas, even I have had those symptoms with them, they are schwag and rancid. I did a hydrogen peroxide test on their nuts and they were also rancid". He was right on the money, it was Navitas.

Stay away from Navitas!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Naturopathy Forum right now

Search the Naturopathy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Acupuncture benefits everyone Jul 15 need a VooDoo dollie 1
Software for Naturopathic Clinics (Jan '11) Jul 2 for Full Disclosure 4
Alternative Medicines for Impotence (May '12) Jun '14 Ethelbert 32
....FARMER...is..GOD,..not.... (Jun '13) May '14 PAUL SHYKORA arts 2
What Are the Things to Know For a Wannabe Natur... May '14 Amanda Roberts 2
Green tea and cervical dysplasia May '14 Kitty82 1
Intake Forms Apr '14 mikaaa 1
•••
•••