Beware! Goji Berries
kaya

Stoke-on-trent, UK

#22 Feb 9, 2008
Racbmm,

Goji berries measure a whopping 25,000 on the orac scale making them THE leading superfood. The chocolate you are advertising here only measures 3000 on the orac scale. So how can it have more antioxidents than goji berries?
Dan

Cardiff, UK

#23 Feb 15, 2008
I've started having a few goji berries in my cereal and my lips, gums and tongue go itchy/tingly/dry. They may be really good for me but it's so annoying that they're not worth the effort.
jane

Chandler, AZ

#24 Feb 25, 2008
goji berries are very healthy and are delicious too!
amanda smith

Nottingham, UK

#25 Feb 28, 2008
i have gall stones which are waiting to be removed, i have had several severe attacks since nov last year - and obviously can eat nothing with any fat in to try and prevent any further attacks.
therefore i've been making my own muesli - and on a couple of occasions i have added goji berries - on both occasions i've developed attacks from the gall bladder, i have been so violently sick that i've ended up in casualty on both occasions, ended up nill by mouth and spent few days in hospital! i've had to miss my original op which was due in feb. spent last weekend in hospital again.
the only common factor is the goji berries = and they were very noticable in the sick.. sorry to be detailing that.
but the goji is the only element that i cut out and then let back in and then on each occasion became so ill that had to be hospitalised!
hence why i am researching possible allergies to goji berries right now.
Goji berry label warning

Reseda, CA

#26 Mar 30, 2008
The dried goji berries I bought in Chinatown in Los Angeles say the berries have to be boiled for 10 minutes before consumption; there is also a warning on the label that an ingredient in them can cause cancer. Does anyone know more about this? I read that some exporters use red dye to make the berries look better and wonder if boiling removes the dye or if the dye or something else (maybe a pesticide) causes cancer.
Thank you. [email protected]
ben

Leichhardt, Australia

#27 Apr 10, 2008
i ate about 50g over a period of 4 weeks with my cereals and was wondering why my eczema becomes worse. my eyelids, my lips, my neck and some spots of my body (even with my genital area) are red and very itchy! especially at night it's so itchy! i had goji berries before. that was about 4 months ago but i cannot remember having any symptoms.
when i started 4 weeks ago again i also changed my nutrition, became a vegan and did not have any dairy products. so i thought this might be the reason but then i started eating dairy again but the skin and itching problem became worse.
it must be the goji berry. i'll stop eating them now!
thanks everyone!
Emily

United States

#28 Apr 19, 2008
Noey wrote:
I had an issue with something and did not know what...I had intense stomach cramping and it became worse each day I had it. I stopped almonds thinking it was them, but went to the dr. and did a test where I showed I was not allergic to almonds....it must be the goji berries...anyone else have this issue
Last week I quit taking a antibiotic because I thought it was causing severe cramping and diareha. This week I had the same symptoms...and the only thing I had eaten both weeks was the Gogi berries. They made me deathly ill.
cory

Monroe, CT

#29 May 16, 2008
Exactly!! its called "detox" symptoms an dit could be a flu liek feeling or joint ache or a rash.. but many detoxing agents ..like the goji.. can cause Detox side effects.. hmm just something to think about before making a Rash(cheesy? yes) decision
k wong wrote:
I'm allergic to just about every fruit on earth and have serious reactions so I was a little hesitant to try goji berries but thought that if I could eat them and be ok, I'd be doubling my fruit buffet (of the common fruits I can only eat watermelon without being the star in some sort of horror story).
Thanks for the info everyone - I noticed that if I rinsed the berries first and then patted them dry, color would come off on the paper towel. I don't know if it's dye, but something to notice - I mean, blueberries do this without dye... I have felt ok so far but sometimes allergy symptoms take time for you to notice as they can entail a million different sensations (look up anaphylaxis - one of the more bizarre symptoms is "an impending sense of doom" - trust me, you never want this feeling). If you think you're allergic, for goodness sake's, set it aside. Cleansing or internal cooling can be achieved in many other ways than those that cause traffic stopping rashes.
Blue_Isis

UK

#30 Jun 26, 2008
I would like to respond by saying I too tried Goji berries but unfortunately I suffered anaphylactic shock! There should be a warning on these berries as so many people seem to be reacting badly to them!
KLN

Manchester, UK

#31 Jul 8, 2008
Hello,
I have just started to query if the elbow, ankle and knee pain that has started in recent weeks might be attributed to Gojis which I started eating daily around the same time as far as I can recall. It sounds like a very whacky idea but I do wonder if there is a link. Do you mind if I ask: did you notice any swelling around the joints and did you stop eating Gojis and did you get better?
Best wishes
KLN
Den D wrote:
Has anyone experienced joint pain from eating goji berries. I have been eating about 2 tblspoons day on fruit for the past 30 days and am experiencing severe joint pain, pain in my feet, knees, ankles, etc. Any comments would be appreciated.
Panster

Cleveland, OH

#32 Sep 6, 2008
I have been taking Goji juice, also developed joint pain in
fingers and elbows, hip. Maybe for a few individuals it
works backwards aggravating joints. I am A negative
blood type. Anyone else? I am going to stop and
see if it goes away.
Heather Campbell

Seattle, WA

#33 Sep 19, 2008
I just went to the 3 day Raw Spirit Festival and had many different superfoods there. However on the way home i started to notice my face was getting a rash. I thought it might be from detoxing so I just put up with it and continued to make superfood smoothies with the items I bought there. When I woke up the rash would almost be gone and then I would drink a smoothie and it would get bad again. I decided it had to be one of the superfoods. Thanks to you all I can narrow it down to gojis. I would love to be able to eat them but I can't go around looking like a freak.
LaChelle

Decatur, GA

#34 Oct 8, 2008
I too had a bad reaction to the goji berry juice. I just wanted to confirm what I felt. I had real funny sensation that I cannot explain and it scared me because I could not explain what was wrong but I knew that it was caused by me using this product by genesis. I am glad that I did not kill myself.
Sara

Lynwood, CA

#35 Oct 10, 2008
2 months ago I purchased a giant bag of ORGANIC goji berries. I am a health nut, and this was my first time trying these. I'm the type that buys all this crap and only eats organic food, I am vegan, I juice my own juice, I am one of those...
Unfortunately, about 2 hours after eating them, I started to feel very sick.
I was nautious for hours. Then finally began vomiting waking up from my sleep. I was in and out of the bathroom for 3 days with extreme stomach pain. I will never eat these ever again and do not recommend them to anyone. I honestly thought I was poisoned. They are also the worst tasting berry I've ever eaten in my life. They even taste sorta toxic. The after taste of them...I just don't trust these berries.
nanolitomicromin ibum

Richmond, VA

#36 Oct 13, 2008
I went to Tropical Smoothie after a workout and ordered the Get Up and Goji. Thinking that the go-ji was just a play on words, I never took the thought that it would be the berries of my food nightmare. I am not allergic to any type of food except for these renowned berries. After drinking about half the cup and watching the presidential debate, I noticed that my left eye was extremely hot and swollen (as I react to with cats). I then asked my boyfriend if it was red, and sure enough he told me to go look for myself in the mirror. As I have done so, I noticed that there was a film of a thick tendon-like string of mucus developing over the cornea of that eye. Being a college student and be it at 10 pm, I thought I was able to go to the school clinic, but it was closed. So, my boyfriend took me down to the security and a police officer dispatched the EMT to take me to the hospital. I had 50 mL of Benedryl shot into my arm and had 7 tubes of blood taken out of my hand.(Since the nurse claimed: "you have small veins...")

SO! I get called Goji some times, by my very mean friends. Never again will I familiarize myself with these berries.
Hana

Delta, Canada

#37 Oct 28, 2008
Interesting this is the first I have heard about concerns of Gojo berries. You should check out baby purity dot com's site for more great information on naturopathic info... although it is more for children's ailments.
Imperatrixi

Surry Hills, Australia

#38 Nov 13, 2008
Noey wrote:
I had an issue with something and did not know what...I had intense stomach cramping and it became worse each day I had it. I stopped almonds thinking it was them, but went to the dr. and did a test where I showed I was not allergic to almonds....it must be the goji berries...anyone else have this issue
Hi I have been eating a mixed handful of dried goji berries, blueberries and cranberries and have had exactly the same stomach problems, except with vomiting and the other end within about 45 mins of eating them. I worked it out after a few days that the berries were the link. I wonder though if they have been contaminated with something or had too much of an additive put in like dye or preservative. The pain was excruciating and I was taking them for HEALTH!! Would love to get to the bottom of it and find out what is going on.
Imperatrixi

Surry Hills, Australia

#39 Nov 13, 2008
Sara wrote:
2 months ago I purchased a giant bag of ORGANIC goji berries. I am a health nut, and this was my first time trying these. I'm the type that buys all this crap and only eats organic food, I am vegan, I juice my own juice, I am one of those...
Unfortunately, about 2 hours after eating them, I started to feel very sick.
I was nautious for hours. Then finally began vomiting waking up from my sleep. I was in and out of the bathroom for 3 days with extreme stomach pain. I will never eat these ever again and do not recommend them to anyone. I honestly thought I was poisoned. They are also the worst tasting berry I've ever eaten in my life. They even taste sorta toxic. The after taste of them...I just don't trust these berries.
I am really concerned that the berries have been tainted with an additive or something. I to have had the same reaction and bought a big and pretty expensive bag of goji berries from China from a wholesaler. AND with China having added melamine to so many products, there are unethical people there who don't seem to care about health so who knows?
Imperatrixi

Surry Hills, Australia

#40 Nov 13, 2008
amanda smith wrote:
i have gall stones which are waiting to be removed, i have had several severe attacks since nov last year - and obviously can eat nothing with any fat in to try and prevent any further attacks.
therefore i've been making my own muesli - and on a couple of occasions i have added goji berries - on both occasions i've developed attacks from the gall bladder, i have been so violently sick that i've ended up in casualty on both occasions, ended up nill by mouth and spent few days in hospital! i've had to miss my original op which was due in feb. spent last weekend in hospital again.
the only common factor is the goji berries = and they were very noticable in the sick.. sorry to be detailing that.
but the goji is the only element that i cut out and then let back in and then on each occasion became so ill that had to be hospitalised!
hence why i am researching possible allergies to goji berries right now.
I have had my gall baldder out after years of agony waiting for the operation and the pain I had on Monday was as bad as any I ever had from a gall bladder attack. I am sure there is something poisonous in them because the immediate cramps and the vomiting and diarrhoea are the body trying to rid itself of them. AND THEY ARE FOR HEALTH!! Maybe the manufacturers are adding something nasty to them because i have had a more expensive commercial brand before and have been fine.
Barbara

Dartmouth, Canada

#41 Nov 29, 2008
I drank goji and felt great after several times of drinking it. I gave it to my son,(16) and within minutes, he was vomiting violently. We blamed the goji juice I had.
The next day I gave it to my husband (52) and he had intense cramps and nausea, but no vomiting. My daughter and I suffered no ill effects. I'm never going to touch the stuff again. It may be healthful but not to some of my family. Blueberries are cheaper and tastier and far safer than a berry from China.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Naturopathy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
St. Judes and Shriners Childrens' Hospitals scams? Apr '16 london2z 1
News Naturopathic clinic designated as top tier prim... (Sep '15) Apr '16 london2z 2
Do naturopaths need help growing their practices? (Mar '14) Apr '16 london2z 2
Anybody know anything about Bobbi Jo McAuliffe ... (Nov '14) Apr '16 Kuno 11
News Alternative Medicines for Impotence (May '12) Mar '16 GuyPassionFace 38
Bad body odor Jan '16 laylaqaz 2
News Working to Recover, or Adjusting to Illness? (Nov '15) Nov '15 Jane Said 1
More from around the web