First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Carolyn

Cremorne, Australia

#1 Jun 21, 2007
After reading about the health benefits of the Goji berry,I decided to try it for myself.Apparently they are a rich source of antioxidants,or so the glossy brochure from which I got this information proclaims. A so called "miracle food" I was surprised and horrified when I discovered a very red and angry rash had developed all over my body. Since I am not allergic to anything else (I can eat nuts,eggs and peanut butter without experiencing an adverse reaction)I put it down to the sprinkling of Goji berries I put on my cereal for two consecutive mornings.Incidentally,it was a few hours after consuming the first lot of berries that I began to itch a little bit, followed by the full blown rash. I don't know if anyone else has had similar problems, but I would be interested to know what other people's experiences with this product are.
David

Perth, Australia

#2 Jul 8, 2007
I also broke out in a rash after eating goji berries. I was given some steroid cream for my inflamed skin by my doctor, who said a rash of that nature usually has to do with the immune system being hyper-sensitive... The cream has helped, and after about a fortnight the rash disappears. Unfortunately though, it still doesn't allow me to eat goji berries!!
Krissy

Cleveland, OH

#3 Aug 7, 2007
I have been drinking 3oz of Himalayan Goji Juice (Dr. Mindell) for a week and began to develop swollen gums after a few days and now they are quite swollen; went to the dentist; he said I am having an allergic reaction to something as I do not have gingivitis, brush and flosss daily and have teeth cleaned professionally..will stop the Goji and see what happens.
Clm

Australia

#4 Aug 22, 2007
Goji berries are a waste of money anyway.There is no real evidence to support the claims that are being made about them.There have been some invitro tests suggesting they may have some antioxidant effects but that is all.There are ridiculous claims being made that it can cure cancer and some material I have seen claims that a man in china lived for 270 years due to his diet of goji berries.Its a pyramid selling scheme.Which is also being investigated by the Australian consumer comission for making false claims!
DONT WASTE your money.You will get more benefit from drinking 100% fruit juice,eating antioxidant rich foods like berries or taking a multivitamin..
Lee

Bronte, Australia

#5 Sep 2, 2007
I think Goji berries are a happy healthy food. But sadly I too have broken out in a rash. Steriod creams to get it under control and consequently no more goji!
John

Australia

#6 Sep 11, 2007
The reason I've found this site is that after taking one Goji tablet a few days ago, I developed a red rash over my forehead only and applied antiseptic ointment. While it's gone from stopping trafic to being a blemish, it will be a couple of days yet before it disappears entirely (which means nearly a week).

I suspected the tablet although it seemed unlikely that only one (and taken with food to avoid reactions) could do that after all the great comments about the product.

After reading the postings on this site, that's probably what it was, but to be sure I'll try another once the rash has cleared.

It's always possible the reaction might just be an initial one, or it's possible I've wasted my money on a container of 60 tablets.

Since: Aug 07

Australia

#7 Sep 19, 2007
Try this website for information about the goji scam
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog/...
Elle

Surrey, Canada

#8 Sep 26, 2007
I was wondering why I was suddenly able to sleep and NOT be constantly covers-on-covers-off. Even when I try to nap, usually I just drift down into the leading edge of sleep and my body furnace blasts in, waking me up again. Last night and today, I suddenly realized that the heating had minimized to the point that I had barely noticed it, but not been discomforted. The only difference is the goji berries I got from the Chinese acupuncture clinic here in Victoria. I have no idea whether that's it or not, and I'll keep an eye out for rashes, etc.

Two comments: a) there is no food or substance on earth that does not have the potential to generate allergic reactions in a percentage of the populace, and b) my practitioner suggested NOT getting the berries at the local grocery store, because they add red dye. Certainly red dye is implicated in allergic reactions. If you think it's worth it, it may be a good idea to ensure the quality of the product in this unregulated industry. Just cause it's health food doesn't mean there aren't people out to make a buck! Good luck.
Elle

Surrey, Canada

#9 Sep 26, 2007
Oops, further, he told me to take a tablespoon of berries and steep in boiling water -- I use a table-top filter. I tried it a spoonful at a time because I have a strong tendency to react badly to just about everything (passiflora, for example, agitates me), but it's still okay a day later. That's only a tablespoonful, in hot water, once a day. So far, as mentioned, that's two cups of tea.
allison

Gaithersburg, MD

#10 Oct 11, 2007
I have a rash all over my torso, red, itchy bumps...the only thing i have eaten recently that i have NEVER eaten before is goji berries. I went online searching, and found this site....sounds like I may have found my answer?? It's been almost a week, and has not gone away...should I go to the doctor or just let it run it's course? any suggestions out there?
Babelicious Berwnite

Oak Park, IL

#11 Oct 14, 2007
allison wrote:
I have a rash all over my torso, red, itchy bumps...the only thing i have eaten recently that i have NEVER eaten before is goji berries. I went online searching, and found this site....sounds like I may have found my answer?? It's been almost a week, and has not gone away...should I go to the doctor or just let it run it's course? any suggestions out there?
This is for all the people posting about "allergic" reactions to goji berries: has it not occurred to any of you guys that it may be the purification effect of the goji expressing itself through your skin? Everyone always focuses on the result and not the cause. It's ALWAYS about excessive toxins when you wheeze, sneeze, get cancer...Just a thought...
k wong

New York, NY

#12 Oct 16, 2007
I'm allergic to just about every fruit on earth and have serious reactions so I was a little hesitant to try goji berries but thought that if I could eat them and be ok, I'd be doubling my fruit buffet (of the common fruits I can only eat watermelon without being the star in some sort of horror story).
Thanks for the info everyone - I noticed that if I rinsed the berries first and then patted them dry, color would come off on the paper towel. I don't know if it's dye, but something to notice - I mean, blueberries do this without dye... I have felt ok so far but sometimes allergy symptoms take time for you to notice as they can entail a million different sensations (look up anaphylaxis - one of the more bizarre symptoms is "an impending sense of doom" - trust me, you never want this feeling). If you think you're allergic, for goodness sake's, set it aside. Cleansing or internal cooling can be achieved in many other ways than those that cause traffic stopping rashes.
Den D

Nolensville, TN

#13 Oct 25, 2007
Has anyone experienced joint pain from eating goji berries. I have been eating about 2 tblspoons day on fruit for the past 30 days and am experiencing severe joint pain, pain in my feet, knees, ankles, etc. Any comments would be appreciated.
Dorothy - UK

Blackburn, UK

#14 Nov 7, 2007
I have been taking goji berries for six days and, yes, I now have a rash on my face and just below my neck, the part which is normally exposed to the air when wearing blouses, tops etc. I am hoping that it is, as Babelicious Berwnite above says, 'it may be the purification effect of the goji expressing itself through your skin'. The reason I think this is because my daughter recently went to an acupuncturist because of her eczema and was told her spots would get worse before she got better as part of the healing process. I will continue to take the berries for the time being and see what happens.
Noey

Cumming, GA

#15 Nov 14, 2007
I had an issue with something and did not know what...I had intense stomach cramping and it became worse each day I had it. I stopped almonds thinking it was them, but went to the dr. and did a test where I showed I was not allergic to almonds....it must be the goji berries...anyone else have this issue
Robert

Canberra, Australia

#16 Dec 4, 2007
I am anaphalatic (allergic to peanuts/satay/cashews) and I get severe stomach cramping if I eat too much Avocado. I tried Goji berries (non organic) and experienced severe stomach cramps. I elimated all other foods and took the berries by themselves and 20mins later it was game on. I took about 2 litres of water and waited about 2 hours before it subsided. I am disappointed that for some reason I cant eat the damn things. I think I may have a touch of "latex fruit syndrome"
Hector

San Jose, CA

#17 Dec 4, 2007
After about 2 weeks of eating dried goji berries(1 - 2 Tablespoons/day) I developed severe stomach/intestinal cramping. I have experienced the same problems with dried lychee, fine at first then all of a sudden big pain. I have subsequently steeped the goji in hot water and have been able to drink this tea without discomfort.
kiki

Englishtown, NJ

#18 Jan 14, 2008
I no know it is the Goji Juice. I have been terribly itchy since I started drinking 1 oz every a.m. of Goji Juice. I thought it was detergent, changed that, still itchy! I now know after reading this it definitekly is the juice and I am stopping that asap. Thanks for the info. I am relived , I thought I was going t9o scratch my skin off if this itchiness persisted.
Lena

AOL

#19 Jan 15, 2008
I went to a runner's convention and tried the "New Goji Juice" that would "cleanse my blood." A tiny capful 30 minutes later caused my face to look like I had mosquito bites all over and an intense radiating heat. The goji juice was the only thing new I had tried. I went to the local pharmacy where the pharmacist told me to immediately drink children's liquid benadryl. The hives went away in about an hour.
Kellidanyail

AOL

#20 Jan 26, 2008
Clm wrote:
Goji berries are a waste of money anyway.There is no real evidence to support the claims that are being made about them.There have been some invitro tests suggesting they may have some antioxidant effects but that is all.There are ridiculous claims being made that it can cure cancer and some material I have seen claims that a man in china lived for 270 years due to his diet of goji berries.Its a pyramid selling scheme.Which is also being investigated by the Australian consumer comission for making false claims!
DONT WASTE your money.You will get more benefit from drinking 100% fruit juice,eating antioxidant rich foods like berries or taking a multivitamin..
This is a lie.Freelife is not a pyramind scheme.There is evidense and many scientic studdies and blind plocebo test have been done to prove that the himilayan Goji Juice from Freelife is what it claims to be!!So before you start making these false claims check it out for yourself! Freelifefacts.com , www.gojibook.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Naturopathy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Naturopath - Testing For Frutose Malabsorption ... Sep 12 wee-haggis 1
Heat: The Achilles Heel of Cancer Sep 12 flmcl 1
“My oncologist said that it doesn’t matter what... Sep 12 flmcl 1
Alternative Medicines for Impotence (May '12) Sep 9 marcussmart1 33
why i select naturopathy center as final year t... Aug '14 Gaurav 1
Acupuncture benefits everyone Jul '14 need a VooDoo dollie 1
Software for Naturopathic Clinics (Jan '11) Jul '14 for Full Disclosure 4
•••

Naturopathy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE