Best Massage Therapy school in Clevel...
Crystal

United States

#21 Aug 20, 2007
We all here are going to defend our school, and I personally do not understand the rival between NIM and OCM, I personally think it is high school-ish. Sure, there are things I hated at times about OCM, but I overall enjoyed my experience, and I'm sure that there are things you guys did like about NIM at times also.

Point blank, the best way to find the best school is to look at the passing rates for Boards. It is non-biased, and better than fighting over who had the best experience in class. I'm sorry to jmkono for it turning into a simple question over a school, into fighting over "Alma Mater"s and personal attacks.

Interview with each school, look at the passing rates for boards, ask detailed questions (what are the rates for students dropping out, is there tutoring available). State Medical Board is intended to be difficult! And if you are not dedicated to learning Kellogg and Tortora, then you are going to hard time in class, you are not going to pass boards. Point blank!

What ever school you choose, stay on top of Anatomy and Physiology, because it will only build on older material. If you have not been in school for a while, pick up the book "The Straight A Student". I know it sounds like a hack title for a book, but it gives some wonderful advice on study habits and time management, and you'll need plenty of both with going back to school, for any type of study!

I hope this helps, and good luck in your endevours -

Crystal
Crystal

United States

#22 Aug 20, 2007
OOH!!! And also...

Medical Massage is pretty much what you'll learn at any school. I do know that my friend that went to the Cleveland Instutite of MEDICAL Massage only learned relaxation....

Pay attention to Form and Function (what is bothering the patient, such as their back, and what could be the possible cause, such as their chest). You'll never going to learn all the information from one school, or one class. It takes going to many of different classes to learn various techniques, I know that from going to OCM I learned MyoFascial, Hot Stone, Pregnancy, Precision NeuroMuscular, the typical Swedish, deep tissue and body wraps.

I'm not sure how NIM's classes are set up, or what kinds of continuing education they have, or additional seminars that are available.

Cleveland Institute for Med. Massage is only based on two classes, A&P and Massage, and they only offer a diploma, where as OCM and NIM offer both diplomas and Associates Degrees.

The AAS of Science has more classroom hours and more training than that of the Diploma.

What ever school you choose, I highly recommend to take Mid-West's Precison NeuroMuscular Therapy class. Doug Nelson is the founder, as well as a 30 year career as a Massage Therapist! His seminars are broken up into regional parts of the body, and the common issues, and the last seminar is Form and Function, and how to put every thing together. I can not say enough about Doug! He is extremely intelligent, and so helpful, and the only thing he wants is to learn and for others to learn. He is by far the best I have learned and studied under!

Another thing I wanted to mention is check with other Assocations to see what schools they recommend, such as the AMTA, or NCTMB. You can also find a list of actions taken by the Medical Board against schools. See if there are also any complaints, and also check with the association that has issued the Accrediation to the school. See what the actions were, if any, and chose these.

I think I'm done!

Crystal
Jan LMT

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#23 Aug 21, 2007
Crystal, passing the boards is the all-important first step, but it is in no way the last step in a successful Massage Therapy career. There are schools that teach only what you need to pass the boards and nothing else, and there are schools that teach you what you need to know to succeed as a therapist after you are licensed. Prospective students need to ask themselves what they will be doing a year after licensure. Will they still be looking for a massage position? Will they be stuck in a job in one of the large chain spas, doing assembly-line 50-minute massages and only receiving a small fraction of what the spa charges for their work? If they open their own practice, will they have the credibility necessary to obtain referrals from chiropractors and physicians? Will their patients leave after a couple of visits because the therapist doesn't have the skills to treat what the patient came in complaining of? If the student chooses the right school, they can pass the board on the first attempt AND be prepared for a great career. Frank Schwarz at Harmony Path has such great success with the boards because he demands strict obedience to his standards of academic discipline and preparation for the boards. If a student does not attend his mandatory review, Frank will pull that student's recommendation for the board. The greatest factor in passing or not passing the board is what the student does in the all-important weeks between graduation and sitting for the board. There are many horror stories from each school of over-confident students who graduated with scores in the nineties, only to fail the board that they sat for six or eight weeks later because they thought they didn't need to study. I studied every weekend for at least 6 hours a day in the weeks before the board. I studied alone. I studied with my study group. I made flashcards. I read Tortora until it was as familiar to me as an old song. THAT is what makes the difference. Prospective students need to ask themselves whether they are willing to clear several hours of weekend time every week for the next two years to succeed. If they have that commitment, they will succeed.
Jennifer LMT Medina

Akron, OH

#24 Aug 21, 2007
NIM is online, although they're having challenges.... don't give up, and you'll never regret going there. 330.867..1996 is the # to reach them. Jennifer in admissions, or Ewa (pronounced EH-vah) also there ... if you're after quality education over talk and "pretty" surroundings, wanting to graduate feeling like an actual professional LMT -- DEFINITELY the way to go!
Good luck. and feel free to ask any other questions...I won't give my e-mail here, since it's so public & I tend to be a Luddite....and I don't have Internet at home...and I'll be happy to try to answer any questions you may have.
(OK, high-schoolish, and still): GO NIM!!!!!!!
AAudZ

United States

#25 Aug 22, 2007
jmkono wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Pam, Thank You for responding. I was unable to find the National Institute of Massotherapy in Garfield Hts online. The school under that name was listed in Akron as well as the Ohio School of Massotherapy. The Cleveland Institute of Medical Massage is located in a plaza in Middleburg Hts. Is this the same school or one that is different altogether?
Again, thank you for your insight regarding schools. I have not gone for an interview yet but hope to schedule one soon and apply in June for this coming fall.
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that the National Institute of Massotherapy in Garfield Heights does not have a website. It is associated with the school by the same name in Akron. I attended in Garfield Heights, and I believe some of the instructors commute between the two schools. Hope this helps your search.
Anonymous

Pleasanton, CA

#26 Aug 25, 2007
Hello,
Our daughter is interested in attending school for learning massage therapy and has received materials for the Cleveland School of Massage in Solon. I know very little about this business- can anyone enlighten me about this particular school?
Thanks!
Crystal

Cleveland, OH

#27 Aug 25, 2007
I'm a Spa Manager at my salon, and I know both boards (cos and med) quite well.

This school offers a "practioners" education. She would not be able to sit for Medical Board, which means she would not be licensed. Here's the catch in the long run:

According to the Cosmetology Board of Ohio, if any person performs Massage in a "Salon or Spa" he/she MUST BE licensed by either the Cos Board or Medical Board. She could have some trouble finding places to work, even outside of the salon/day spa industry, because she would not be licensed.

The only type of Massage she would be able to perform is relaxation (or Swedish). She would not be able (even though Cleveland School of Massage teaches it) to perform deep tissue, pre-natal, hot stone. All of these modalities are regulated under Medical Board. Let's say she has a client who was in a car accident, or their neck/back hurts, she would have refuse them, because she is not licensed under the Medical Board. In short, she really can't do that much with an education from Cleveland School.

Also, Cleveland School of Massage is NOT a Medical Board approved school for Massage.( http://med.ohio.gov/pdf/MTAC/MT_approve_schoo... ). This is the link for approved schools.

The min. required by Ohio to take boards in no less than 9 months, and over 700 hours (this was just increased)

http://www.amtamassage.org/AMTA-COS/Default.a...
This is the link to AMTA approved schools in Ohio. The AMTA is the oldest and largest organization that represents Massage Therapists and profession.

She really is better off becoming licensed.

If you have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them for you!

[email protected]
Anonymous

Long Beach, CA

#28 Aug 26, 2007
Crystal wrote:
This school offers a "practioners" education. She would not be able to sit for Medical Board, which means she would not be licensed. Here's the catch in the long run:
According to the Cosmetology Board of Ohio, if any person performs Massage in a "Salon or Spa" he/she MUST BE licensed by either the Cos Board or Medical Board. She could have some trouble finding places to work, even outside of the salon/day spa industry, because she would not be licensed.
The only type of Massage she would be able to perform is relaxation (or Swedish). She would not be able (even though Cleveland School of Massage teaches it) to perform deep tissue, pre-natal, hot stone. All of these modalities are regulated under Medical Board. Let's say she has a client who was in a car accident, or their neck/back hurts, she would have refuse them, because she is not licensed under the Medical Board. In short, she really can't do that much with an education from Cleveland School.
Also, Cleveland School of Massage is NOT a Medical Board approved school for Massage.( http://med.ohio.gov/pdf/MTAC/MT_approve_schoo... ). This is the link for approved schools.
The min. required by Ohio to take boards in no less than 9 months, and over 700 hours (this was just increased)
This is the link to AMTA approved schools in Ohio. The AMTA is the oldest and largest organization that represents Massage Therapists and profession.
[email protected]
Dear Crystal,

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the information. I will pass this on to my daughter. I really appreciate it!
curious

Massillon, OH

#29 Sep 7, 2007
Do you have to be licensed in state of ohio to give massages. There are alot of dancers around here in canton opening massage places who are not LMT's. Most costumers are men from the clubs they work at, if you get my drift. It's sad, some of us actually pay money to go to school and then struggle to build our customer base! I can't believe the authorities allow this! Very Strange!!!
Jan LMT

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#30 Sep 11, 2007
You have to be licensed by the State Medical Board to provide Massage Therapy, which is the treatment of any disorder (you can go to the Ohio State Medical Board web site for the exact language). If the client does not identify any disorder, then an unskilled massage practitioner can still legally perform what they still refer to as massage. In most cases, this "massage" by an unlicensed practitioner is prostitution. All they need to open this shady business is a business license from the municipality. That's how these prostitution parlors calling themselves massage parlors are able to open. Most people wouldn't think of going to an unskilled and unlicensed physical therapist, but they allow untrained amateurs to perform potentially risky manipulations on them because they think no harm can come to them. After all, it's just "massage." Many cosmetologists and estheticians still think they can perform massage therapy for "sore shoulders and necks" as part of a facial or other procedure. Definitely risky and illegal. So, what it all boils down to is that what the public doesn't know about massage therapy can hurt or kill them if they go to the wrong place.
curious

Massillon, OH

#31 Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for the information. For example if these so called massage places tell someone they can help a pulled muscle, this would be illegal correct. If this is happening what is the next step in the process of stopping this lewd behavior.
Jan LMT

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#32 Sep 12, 2007
curious wrote:
Thanks for the information. For example if these so called massage places tell someone they can help a pulled muscle, this would be illegal correct. If this is happening what is the next step in the process of stopping this lewd behavior.
File a complaint with the State Medical Board (form is available on their web site) and the local police. They are practicing a limited branch of medicine (Massage Therapy) without a license.
Joseph

Bangkok, Thailand

#33 Oct 4, 2007
Hi
I have some directory of massage school here http://www.houston-massage-school.com
anon

Massillon, OH

#34 Nov 16, 2007
do you have to be licensed in ohio to give deep tissue massages or hot stone massages? Or are these considered relaxation massages?
Ohio LMT

Conneaut, OH

#35 Nov 22, 2007
anon wrote:
do you have to be licensed in ohio to give deep tissue massages or hot stone massages? Or are these considered relaxation massages?
For deep tissue - definitely yes, you need to be licensed because you are applying massage to other than superficial skin areas. You are squeezing and stretching muscles that lie dangerously close to nerves, blood vessels, lymphatic channels and other potential endangerment sites. Only someone extensively trained in anatomy, physiology and contraindications to massage can safely perform this.
For hot stones - you could probably get away with giving a warm stones massage with feather-light pressure, but nothing more intense than that.
Lynne

Akron, OH

#36 Jan 21, 2008
I am interested in becoming a licensed massage therapist. I would like to learn how to do deep tissue massage etc. not just relaxation techniques.
Would I get this type of education at The Cleveland Institute of Medical Massage in Middleburg Heights.
I visited the school and I saw that they are accredited by COMPTA. Does that place them above other schools? Why are they the only ones in the area given that accreditation?
dave

Cleveland, OH

#37 Jan 27, 2008
Crystal wrote:
[email protected]
The Cleveland School of Medical Massage is listed in both resources as an approved school.

Is this school different than the 'Cleveland School of Massage'?
SHANNON

United States

#38 May 14, 2008
I'VE BEEN A MASSAGE PRACTITIONER FOR 8 YEARS AND GRADUATED FROM CLEVELAND SCHOOL OF MASSAGE. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS SCHOOL. YOU LEARN YOUR A&P AND SO MUCH MORE. I PERSONALY WENT TO LMT SCHOOL AT A CC. I HAD ONLY 2 SEMESTERS LEFT AND DECIDED TO TRANSER TO THE CLEVELAND SCHOOL OF MASSAGE BECAUSE AT LMT SCHOOL WE HAD 35 STUDENTS PER 1 TEACHER AND DIDNT GET THE HANDS ON EXPERICENCE THAT IS WELL NEEDED.YES YOU COULD BE BOOK SMART BUT THAT DOESNT CUT IT IN THE BUSINESS. ALOT OF LMT GIVE MP A BAD NAME BECAUSE THEY ARE THREATEN THEY THINK WERE TAKING THERE WORK. THERE IS PLENTY OF WORK OUT THERE FOR ALL OF US AS LONG AS YOU KNOW HOW TO BUILD UP YOUR CLIENTEL. AT THE CLEVELAND SCHOOL OF MASSAGE WE HAD 10 STUDENTS PER 3 TEACHERS THAT HAVE 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ON THEM. ALSO 90% OF THE PEOPLE LOOKING FOR MASSAGE JUST WANT A RELAXATION AND DESTRESSING MASSAGE ANYWAYS. IF A CLIENT DOES COME TO ME WITH COMPLAINT I REMIND THEM THAT I AM A EMP AND CAN DO A RELAXATION MASSAGE NOT JUST ONE CERTAIN AREA ONLY! AND A RELAXATION MASSAGE IS JUST WHAT IS NEEDED TO MAKE THEM FEEL BETTER WE ARE NOT CORRECTING AND INJUIRES OR ANY THING LIKE THAT. IF IT WAS ILLEGAL FOR US TO MASSAGE OHIO WOULDNT HAVE A CERTIFICATION FOR MASSAGE. IF YOU ARE SOMEONE LOOKING TO GET INTO THE MASSAGE BIZ I RECOMMEND GOING TO THIS SCHOOL FIRST TO SEE IF THAT IS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT THEN IF YOU WANT THE EXTRA SCHOOLING TO DO MORE THINGS IN YOUR PRACTICE THE GO ONTO LMT SCHOOL AND DIFFERENT SEMINARS AND WHILE YOUR IN SCHOOL YOU CAN BE WORKING (MASSAGING) TO HELP PAY FOR LMT SCHOOL WHICH IS MORE COSTLY.
LMT

Conneaut, OH

#39 May 17, 2008
SHANNON wrote:
I'VE BEEN A MASSAGE PRACTITIONER FOR 8 YEARS AND GRADUATED FROM CLEVELAND SCHOOL OF MASSAGE. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS SCHOOL. YOU LEARN YOUR A&P AND SO MUCH MORE. I PERSONALY WENT TO LMT SCHOOL AT A CC. I HAD ONLY 2 SEMESTERS LEFT AND DECIDED TO TRANSER TO THE CLEVELAND SCHOOL OF MASSAGE BECAUSE AT LMT SCHOOL WE HAD 35 STUDENTS PER 1 TEACHER AND DIDNT GET THE HANDS ON EXPERICENCE THAT IS WELL NEEDED.YES YOU COULD BE BOOK SMART BUT THAT DOESNT CUT IT IN THE BUSINESS. ALOT OF LMT GIVE MP A BAD NAME BECAUSE THEY ARE THREATEN THEY THINK WERE TAKING THERE WORK. THERE IS PLENTY OF WORK OUT THERE FOR ALL OF US AS LONG AS YOU KNOW HOW TO BUILD UP YOUR CLIENTEL. AT THE CLEVELAND SCHOOL OF MASSAGE WE HAD 10 STUDENTS PER 3 TEACHERS THAT HAVE 30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ON THEM. ALSO 90% OF THE PEOPLE LOOKING FOR MASSAGE JUST WANT A RELAXATION AND DESTRESSING MASSAGE ANYWAYS. IF A CLIENT DOES COME TO ME WITH COMPLAINT I REMIND THEM THAT I AM A EMP AND CAN DO A RELAXATION MASSAGE NOT JUST ONE CERTAIN AREA ONLY! AND A RELAXATION MASSAGE IS JUST WHAT IS NEEDED TO MAKE THEM FEEL BETTER WE ARE NOT CORRECTING AND INJUIRES OR ANY THING LIKE THAT. IF IT WAS ILLEGAL FOR US TO MASSAGE OHIO WOULDNT HAVE A CERTIFICATION FOR MASSAGE. IF YOU ARE SOMEONE LOOKING TO GET INTO THE MASSAGE BIZ I RECOMMEND GOING TO THIS SCHOOL FIRST TO SEE IF THAT IS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT THEN IF YOU WANT THE EXTRA SCHOOLING TO DO MORE THINGS IN YOUR PRACTICE THE GO ONTO LMT SCHOOL AND DIFFERENT SEMINARS AND WHILE YOUR IN SCHOOL YOU CAN BE WORKING (MASSAGING) TO HELP PAY FOR LMT SCHOOL WHICH IS MORE COSTLY.
That is not true. The State Medical Board of Ohio will not let you sit for the licensing exam if you have EVER worked as an unlicensed massage practitioner. Not really an issue, since MPs don't get sufficient anatomy & physiology training in their limited curriculum and would never be able to pass the Basic Science part of the exam anyway. Ask yourself this: If the physicians who sit on the State Medical Board feel that it is that important to stop unlicensed massage in Ohio, then why would you try to pretend that you are as qualified for ANY type of massage as a fully licensed LMT? The public needs to know that an unlicensed massage practitioner is as dangerous as an unlicensed pharmacist. Yes, a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. MPs just don't know when they are getting into dangerous territory. EVERY massage affects EVERY part of the body. The line is not as distinct between "relaxation" massage and "therapeutic" massage as the MP community would like us to think. As the old saying goes, "The most important thing that a licensed plumber knows is why you can't do it that way."
LMT

Conneaut, OH

#40 May 17, 2008
Addendum to my last post: You can't even get a Training Certificate to enroll in LMT school if you have ever practiced massage as an unlicensed MP, and you can't sit for the state licensing exam if you haven't graduated from a fully accredited LMT massage school. Once you choose to go the unlicensed path, you have closed the door on ever being an LMT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Massage Therapy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
nice girl nice massage in doha 0097466906424 (Jun '12) 1 hr Kkk 18
Body Massage in Bahrain Manama Hidd 23 hr Navas 1
Secret Massage your home Manama Bahrain Thu Navas 1
Ayurveda oil massage Thu Dickhead 5
News The Dangers of Chiropractic (Dec '09) Thu princejrt 1,248
Any Male Massage Therapists "Finished Off" a Fe... (Sep '14) Wed Vivacious Vixen C... 99
Does women get erotic massages? (Sep '11) Wed Lalengua 50
Erections during massages is it normal? (Jun '09) Feb 6 IGetIt 753
Do Women get aroused during massage? (Jan '10) Feb 5 cob 1,119
Getting a tantric massage for the first time. W... (Jan '10) Feb 4 diane 132
Therapeutic Massage and Ejaculation (Feb '07) Jan 29 earl 2,257
Masturbation while getting a Therapeutic Massag... (May '10) Jan 28 anonymous 713
More from around the web