Massage Envy opening in Carmel

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

Submitted by Ingrid E. Cummungs Massage Envy, the booming national business concept, is poised to debut in Carmel on April 26.
Comments
1 - 20 of 85 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2012
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
macalla

Glendale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 8, 2007
 

Judged:

1

"Massage Envy" is one of the worst ideas to come along in the massage business in a long time. They are overselling franchises and franchisees are now competing for market share with other "Massage Envy's" close by. Plus the reason they offer such a low cost service is that they hire the bottom of the barrel in the massage field. People don't like to be short changed on personal services. You get what you pay for and at "Massage Envy" that means you get a lousy service and are then high pressured to buy a membership. No thanks!
Bob

Folsom, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 16, 2007
 

Judged:

1

Sorry I disagree. There is one close to us and it is a great way to get a great massgae for a lower price. I went to a full blown spa and had a so so massage for $120 (90 minutes). Went to Massage Envy, had a great massage for $80 (2 hours). Also, there was no pressure to join but I did, now I have a massgage just about every week - something I could not have afforded in the past. Granted, they may have some bad therapists but you may find the same problem and a regular spa. So far, I have no complaints.
Karen Palm Harbor florida

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 9, 2007
 
Went to massagehad the best massage in thirty years. my therapist was very knowledgabl and hit all the right spots .I have paid $100 for massages that were terrible .I will continue going to massage envy as long as they are in Palm Harbor. A vey happy customer. Envy in Palm Harbor Florida I
Heather

Athens, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 2, 2007
 

Judged:

1

I know that I didn't spend the last 18 months of life to make $15 an hour. Therapists that work for that pay make our profession look like even more of a joke than some people think it is already.
Jessi

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 12, 2008
 

Judged:

1

MASSAGE ENVY IS THE GREATEST!!!! They hire only the best therapists around and they have the best prices!!!!! I recommend Massage Envy to anyone and everyone!!!!!! I get a massage atleast once a week, have had a different therapist each time, never had a bad experience.
sooner

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 13, 2008
 
Spamilton Co wrote:
Retarded people with too much money will make this absolutely stupid business boom.
You sound like the 'retarded' one. Massage is good for the immune system and great after a work out and steamer.
Jim

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 13, 2008
 
Jessi wrote:
MASSAGE ENVY IS THE GREATEST!!!! They hire only the best therapists around and they have the best prices!!!!! I recommend Massage Envy to anyone and everyone!!!!!! I get a massage atleast once a week, have had a different therapist each time, never had a bad experience.
I agree, the nicest facilities I have seen in the industry. My experience has been very positive, and for less than half the price I am accustomed to. Great deal. I am also a trained massage therapist, but only did so to help my wife with an injury. My trainers wanted me to get into the industry, there is no way that I could make enough to make it worthwhile for me, maybe when I retire and want some extra money. There is no way that I can figure that you could ever get close to six figures, not enough billable hours in the day.
toupelover

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 13, 2008
 

Judged:

2

1

Why do you have to pay for somebody to rub your back?

My spouse does it for free because they love me.
Steve

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 13, 2008
 
sooner wrote:
<quoted text>You sound like the 'retarded' one. Massage is good for the immune system and great after a work out and steamer.
That's what she said!
mojo

Union, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 14, 2008
 

Judged:

1

toupelover wrote:
Why do you have to pay for somebody to rub your back?
My spouse does it for free because they love me.
How many spouses do you have?

People who pay for massage probably do so for the same reason they would dine out or see a movie.

Does your spouse trim your hair because she loves you?
LMT

Edinburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

These Places are an insult to the profession of massage therapy. Reason being that the therapists who work there do not get paid what they are worth.Of course people love it, they dont get to pay what they should be paying for the body work they are recieving.Its a defect of society to not want to pay the value of something that is quality, they want to pay less and go for the "great deal", blame the recession in our economy for that and the fact that America outsources everything to give us those "great deals". The corporations out there want to capitolize on therapists just starting out of school. The only positive that i can say about these places is that for a beginning therapist its a good place to start because you are constantly doing body work and honing your skills as a therapist,however, we as therapists still get shafted by these "Mcssage" places. They make a killing off of us. So just remember all you frugals and cheapskates out there. We put 100% into the work we do, and like the food service industry we exist on your gratuity. The very LEAST that you can do for US at these places is Tip us well when you get off that table.
Jim

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

LMT wrote:
These Places are an insult to the profession of massage therapy. Reason being that the therapists who work there do not get paid what they are worth.Of course people love it, they dont get to pay what they should be paying for the body work they are recieving.Its a defect of society to not want to pay the value of something that is quality, they want to pay less and go for the "great deal", blame the recession in our economy for that and the fact that America outsources everything to give us those "great deals". The corporations out there want to capitolize on therapists just starting out of school. The only positive that i can say about these places is that for a beginning therapist its a good place to start because you are constantly doing body work and honing your skills as a therapist,however, we as therapists still get shafted by these "Mcssage" places. They make a killing off of us. So just remember all you frugals and cheapskates out there. We put 100% into the work we do, and like the food service industry we exist on your gratuity. The very LEAST that you can do for US at these places is Tip us well when you get off that table.
Free enterprise and free market dictates what time and talent are worth. Not some esoteric "the way the world should be." If such places pay too little to obtain talent, clients won't go, it will close. However, what I have seen there is young talented well trained personnel who probably make more money than those who don't work in such a professional environment. They can take advantage of the owner covering the overhead, and strong advertising campaigns. Most therapists may make more per hour when they are actually working, but most simply are not booked heavy enough to make much money, too much dead time, or running from venue to venue.
Jim

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 2, 2008
 
LMT wrote:
These Places are an insult to the profession of massage therapy. Reason being that the therapists who work there do not get paid what they are worth.Of course people love it, they dont get to pay what they should be paying for the body work they are recieving.Its a defect of society to not want to pay the value of something that is quality, they want to pay less and go for the "great deal", blame the recession in our economy for that and the fact that America outsources everything to give us those "great deals". The corporations out there want to capitolize on therapists just starting out of school. The only positive that i can say about these places is that for a beginning therapist its a good place to start because you are constantly doing body work and honing your skills as a therapist,however, we as therapists still get shafted by these "Mcssage" places. They make a killing off of us. So just remember all you frugals and cheapskates out there. We put 100% into the work we do, and like the food service industry we exist on your gratuity. The very LEAST that you can do for US at these places is Tip us well when you get off that table.
I wonder if Harlan Sanders thought the way you did when he was going broke in his family restaurant in Corbin, KY. He hung on so long that he had no money left, all he had was his car, a 64.00 a month Social Security check and a chicken recipe. He then barn-stormed Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, and Ohio trying to sell his franchising idea. It wasn't until the 1009 person who finally said yes to him, his name was Jim Calhoun in Ft. Wayne, In who owned the Hobby House Restaurant. His manager didn't think it was a good idea to pay this weird old guy from Kentucky "all that money" when they already served good chicken. The fee to buy the franchise, was nothing up front, and a nickle for every chicken they sold, that manager that fought this franchising idea was Dave Thomas, who later turned what he learned into Wendy's.
Those guys all sound like sell outs to corporate greed as well according to you. I would counter that they ended up serving millions instead of a few hundreds, also provided jobs and starts into the business world for too many to count.
Wondering

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 3, 2008
 
Do you think the CPD will send detectives to this massage parlor?

LMT

“Just another Therapist”

Since: Feb 08

screwyville, Kenfunky

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 3, 2008
 

Judged:

1

JIM, you are comparing carrots and apples here. Do you even know the time and study that it takes to be a massage therapist? notwithstanding that the MT industry is not up there with say brain surgery or the medical profession, but we do provide a service that goes beyond the fast food chains of Wendy's and KFC which, in case you havent been paying attention, is contributing to the downfall of Health in America. Free Enterprise is what it is and i dont begrudge it, but you have to reread what i originally wrote.
The Value of Getting on that Table and having your muscles worked so that it facilitates stress relief, release and structural realignment that helps you to lead a better physical life, i say that is far worth more than earning what we earn at these establishments. Spas and hotel resorts offer us quite a bit more and what i consider to be fair. and in a private practice we get 100% of the profit. Its not like those of us in private practice charge an arm and a leg. I think the going rate of a dollar a minute on the massage table is VERY FAIR. At these Massage envy's and harmonies and heights. It is reduced to rougly 30cents a minute. Sorry dude, but i am certainly worth more than that. and so are those who are starting out in this field who have a natrual talent to work the human body in a healing and therapeutic way.
Jim

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 4, 2008
 
LMT wrote:
JIM, you are comparing carrots and apples here. Do you even know the time and study that it takes to be a massage therapist? notwithstanding that the MT industry is not up there with say brain surgery or the medical profession, but we do provide a service that goes beyond the fast food chains of Wendy's and KFC which, in case you havent been paying attention, is contributing to the downfall of Health in America. Free Enterprise is what it is and i dont begrudge it, but you have to reread what i originally wrote.
The Value of Getting on that Table and having your muscles worked so that it facilitates stress relief, release and structural realignment that helps you to lead a better physical life, i say that is far worth more than earning what we earn at these establishments. Spas and hotel resorts offer us quite a bit more and what i consider to be fair. and in a private practice we get 100% of the profit. Its not like those of us in private practice charge an arm and a leg. I think the going rate of a dollar a minute on the massage table is VERY FAIR. At these Massage envy's and harmonies and heights. It is reduced to rougly 30cents a minute. Sorry dude, but i am certainly worth more than that. and so are those who are starting out in this field who have a natrual talent to work the human body in a healing and therapeutic way.
I am a trained massage therapist. I used to do massage in the 70's, when my wife had a physical challenge that massage was the only treatment that would give her relief, I went through training so that she could be treated as needed, when needed. I find it extremely relaxing to me as well, when the whole world narrows down to the knot that I am relieving. Those who trained me have tried to convince me to hang out my shingle so to speak, but I have done the math and there are simply not enough billable hours a week if completely booked to make enough money in that business to interest me.
I have found a couple therapists that I really like, one is 70.00/hour, the other 80.00. They are both skilled in different ways, but from what I have found head and shoulders above any others I had found. However, getting in without a standing appointment can be a pain, and inconvenient. I joined Massage Envy a couple months ago, and have had good experiences with each visit. The best thing is that so far, I have been able to call and have access right away and for half the cost of the others. As a consumer, who happens to be somewhat better informed than average, and who is a businessman, frankly their business model is very refreshing in this industry. The value of any product or service is what the market will pay. If you can prove to your clients that you are worth more, congratulations, if not then the free market system has told you to improve. You can have successful hair stylists making from 8.00 a cut to a few hundred dollars a cut through different business models.
Jim

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Feb 4, 2008
 
LMT wrote:
JIM, you are comparing carrots and apples here. Do you even know the time and study that it takes to be a massage therapist? notwithstanding that the MT industry is not up there with say brain surgery or the medical profession, but we do provide a service that goes beyond the fast food chains of Wendy's and KFC which, in case you havent been paying attention, is contributing to the downfall of Health in America. Free Enterprise is what it is and i dont begrudge it, but you have to reread what i originally wrote.
The Value of Getting on that Table and having your muscles worked so that it facilitates stress relief, release and structural realignment that helps you to lead a better physical life, i say that is far worth more than earning what we earn at these establishments. Spas and hotel resorts offer us quite a bit more and what i consider to be fair. and in a private practice we get 100% of the profit. Its not like those of us in private practice charge an arm and a leg. I think the going rate of a dollar a minute on the massage table is VERY FAIR. At these Massage envy's and harmonies and heights. It is reduced to rougly 30cents a minute. Sorry dude, but i am certainly worth more than that. and so are those who are starting out in this field who have a natrual talent to work the human body in a healing and therapeutic way.
I wasn't clear ealier, I used to do massage in the 70's then went to school about 4 years ago to train.
Sara

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Apr 2, 2008
 
toupelover wrote:
Why do you have to pay for somebody to rub your back?
My spouse does it for free because they love me.
sounds like you have never had a professional massage before!
Sara

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

I believe people who have negative comments about the Massage field are just not educated enough about it. Massage Therapy is part of our medical industry...do some research people!!
CPD Detective

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Apr 2, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Are there happy endings there? We like to go and get 'massages' and threaten them with arrest if they don't give it to us for free.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Massage Therapy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do Women get aroused during massage? (Jan '10) 18 min J Curtis Holmes 964
Therapeutic Massage and Ejaculation (Feb '07) 5 hr Jbraceboy 2,154
I was violated by massage therapist? Cheating? (Jul '13) 5 hr alexi 4
home massage in doha 16 hr susan 7
Erections during massages is it normal? (Jun '09) 20 hr Faa 688
Woman says masseur molested her at Troy chiropr... (Sep '12) Wed Richard 3
Masturbation while getting a Therapeutic Massag... (May '10) Tue WTSleuth 529
Getting a tantric massage for the first time. W... (Jan '10) Aug 19 Summer Tantra 76

Search the Massage Therapy Forum:
•••