Older adults with severe mental illness challenge healthcare system

Nov 14, 2013 Full story: PhysOrg Weblog

Although older adults with serious mental illness didn't have more recorded physical illness and had fewer outpatient visits to primary care physicians, they made more medical emergency department visits and had considerably longer medical hospitalizations than older adults without mental illness according to a study conducted by researchers from ... (more)

Full Story

Since: Nov 13

Denver, CO

#1 Nov 14, 2013
Yes. You got me thinking there. Why is it that there are no specialize hospitals/institutions/clinics out there that offer help for the mentally challenge people of this country? And why is the government not funding them? According to www.acsia.com/overview.php that I happened to read last night, like any other patients, mentally ill people also deserve long term care services instead of locking them up in the most remote places of our country. They deserve better
helene

Aiken, SC

#2 Nov 15, 2013
suicide the answer when you feel dementia starting I already feel it Mom Dad Aunt Gramma all at my age 76. Lived long because of medication then a nursing home I refuse as of 10 years ago to see a r I refuse to have my educated sons with young kids to take care of me and let the health industry rob them for the sake of ME
When someone reported what I said a cop came here but left I swear if for some reason when I threaten suicide and cops come I will force them to shoot me It will be doing me a favor I hate being old My beauty gone ,my health I feel hardly any love only hate and my faith is just about gone and I anger very quickly I could be dangerous if provoked but so far I get control of my self what a rotten golden years OH I took care of my sick one too it e=was a night mare I was in my 40's then I watched them go down hill into a hell .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geriatric Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Halton Healthcare Services gets - Exemplar' sta... Nov '14 a shallow room 1
Hospital awarded 'exemplar' status Nov '14 how really works ... 1
Ruminda Nov '14 Ruminda 1
Memory disorders centers provide specialized care Aug '14 HumanSpirit 1
From Severe Sadness to Suicide in Elderly Popul... (Oct '09) Aug '14 Robinwilliams 10
Improve Patient Care with Case Files: Geriatric... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Skye Van Raalte-H... 1
Senior Power: Sexuality It's a good thing. (Apr '13) Jun '14 Cosmo 11
More from around the web