Nursing homes urged to use wheelchair...

Nursing homes urged to use wheelchairs sparingly, not park folk...

There are 5 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Nursing homes urged to use wheelchairs sparingly, not park folk.... In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

RALEIGH, N.C.: It's a common sight in many long-term homes - residents in wheelchairs lining hallways, just sitting or rolling slowly down the hall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Judy Hoover-Canton

Stow, OH

#1 Feb 5, 2008
this problem isn't only in one state as I have witnessed it locally also. In some cases patients aren't able to walk, however, I find that walk therapy isn't a top priority with the staff and the vast majority of residents are left to sit constantly. This contributes to the eventual level 3 care which costs more per month due to the inability of the resident to be mobile.
tracy

United States

#2 Feb 5, 2008
This article is important.
Families must insist that the patient get therapy for walking. The nursing home is all too happy for the patient to lose the ability to walk. The THEY manage the patient/
lookout

Mansfield, OH

#3 Feb 5, 2008
tracy wrote:
This article is important.
Families must insist that the patient get therapy for walking. The nursing home is all too happy for the patient to lose the ability to walk. The THEY manage the patient/
That's ridiculous - an ambulatory Resident is much easier to care for than a nonambulatory Resident.
Trust me, the nursing homes want as many Residents to receive therapy as possible - it gets a bigger reimbursement (more money) for the nursing home. Medicare has strict guidelines on what Residents receive therapy and the Resident most show that therapy is benificial and show progress, or the service must be discontinued. How would you like to see your family member standing (barely) and being dragged around by two staff members, or how would you like to be the staff member having to carry the Residents around all day. Many of those Residents due not have the cognitive ability to follow directions or remember how to walk.
lookout

Mansfield, OH

#4 Feb 5, 2008
In addition, many Residents REFUSE to have therapy - which is their right to do - and in many cases that is exactly why they don't receive therapy. You can not force them to do it, you can only try to encourage it.
Kathleen

Union City, PA

#5 Feb 5, 2008
OK. I work in a nursing home. We are already short staffed. I would love to help people that can still ambulate; get some exercise out of their wheel chairs. Some people are in wheel chairs for their safety. They can't ambulate safely by themselves anymore. Some patients don't want therapy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geriatric Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Merck halts late-stage trial of promising Alzhe... Feb '17 Pharmafia 1
News Happy birthday to Colo: Oldest gorilla in US tu... Jan '17 Go Blue Forever 22
News Genetic screening available, but not recommende... Nov '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Halton Healthcare launches Hospital Elder Life ... (Apr '16) Apr '16 GTA 1
News Alzheimer Society hosting free seminar on dementia (Jan '16) Jan '16 Brain Pilaster - ... 1
News Graves & Gilbert Clinic Welcomes Dr. Chhabra to... (Jan '14) Jan '16 curious 20
News Learn ways to cope with depression and anxiety ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 HumanSpirit 4
More from around the web