Chinks in the 'Idol' armor?

Chinks in the 'Idol' armor?

There are 22 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 9, 2007, titled Chinks in the 'Idol' armor?. In it, Newsday reports that:

First, the young kids go. Maybe they decide that homework isn't so boring after all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Annie

Warwick, NY

#1 Apr 9, 2007
Taylor Hicks received more votes than any other winner of AI. This year, for whatever reason, the powers that be have done everything possible to convey that they didn't want him to win. They have literally said that Daughtry should have won because he's sold more cds. So, they have told all those voters that they were wrong and made a mistake. Why should anyone invest themselves in a contestant if that person's winning means nothing? If they are going to be totally disrespected and that person's fans are going to be called stupid? They've lost me and many, many other Taylor fans.
Donna

Goldens Bridge, NY

#2 Apr 9, 2007
Annie, you are so right. The disrespect that AI has shown Taylor is the main reason I don't care anything about the show this year. All you hear about is Daughtry... sure and thats because he is "their boy," it was quite obvious early on that they thought he would be the winner (they were wrong).

Why the decline this year? As soon as I heard the first snide remark out of Simon's mouth in regards to Taylor, I was gone. No one on the show this year is as exciting to watch and vote for as Taylor, Elliot, Chris and a few others were last year. It was a REAL competition. Taylor was the underdog (as far as the judges were concerned, mainly Simon - who really hated him). America knew better, and voted for the one they wanted to win, and he did! AI has done nothing to back him. I guess we should be happy because Taylor made a choice to perform his music his way and they didnt like that. Taylor will be around for a long time, in spite of the BS going on at AI.
emmarude43

AOL

#3 Apr 9, 2007
Well, I could be gray, but I dye my hair. I stopped watching Idol because of Simon Cowell calling that one kid a bush baby. I will not watch a show that allows this kind of talk. The same thing for Imus, won't watch him any more.
If it were not VFTW and Howard Stern fans, the Nielsen numbers would be down even lower.
The judges put thru this bunch of bad singers.
Simon Fuller, stated this week, that America got it wrong last year. I thinks America got it right and Taylor Hicks won. They don't like that.(The powers that be) Well, they can't blame anyone but themselves this year.
donna

Sandy Hook, CT

#4 Apr 9, 2007
I'm getting tired of the judges pimping some contestance and insulting others.They think they are the only ones who know who has talent.The judges are also disrespectful of the contenstant...they talk and fool around with each other while the contestant is performing. I wach DWTHS and these judges are actually watching the performance and give constructive advice to the performers. Listen up judges...Watch and then tell the performers how they can improve. "You did your thing dog",You look great,"Thatwas dreadful"..are not teaching the performers anything.
Pat from Georgia

Taylorsville, GA

#5 Apr 9, 2007
Your theories are as probable as any others, but please consider these as well:

1) Theme - Standards, Big Band, even British Invasion - none of these themes appeal to the audience they are courting. If they want young viewers, the music needs to appeal to them.

2) Starting early and dragging things out may increase ad revenue, but unless you have real drama to keep people viewing in - boredom is sure to set in. Face it - there is
no drama. We have about 3 good singers left and many weeks to go. Why not just wait for the last month?

3) All this talk about charity may be good PR, but it doesn't stir interest in the youth. Say what you need and shut up. Belaboring this point is a mistake.
Sanjaya to stay

Deesa, India

#6 Apr 10, 2007
This year give the teens a chance to be the next american idol. the money can help them to go to university. so i think it is between Jordan and Sanjaya and my vote is for sanjaya who at at age is taking all the barbs from simon and the public americans.
no one special

Shirley, NY

#7 Apr 10, 2007
all good things must come to an end.
mac

Garden City, NY

#8 Apr 10, 2007
if mellinda doesn't win, this show really is a joke and the american public don't know a real talent when they hear one!
Sorry

River Edge, NJ

#9 Apr 10, 2007
Sanjaya should be let go next. Although he is adorable and has a great personality, he does have a horrible voice. It is not fair that others are kicked off before him because he is adorable.

Lets me fair people.
TOM

Central Islip, NY

#10 Apr 10, 2007
SCREW YOU
Sanjaya to stay wrote:
This year give the teens a chance to be the next american idol. the money can help them to go to university. so i think it is between Jordan and Sanjaya and my vote is for sanjaya who at at age is taking all the barbs from simon and the public americans.
Jay D

United States

#11 Apr 10, 2007
SANJAYA FOR THE WIN!

I'll be voting for him a bunch tonight :-)
patty cee

AOL

#13 Apr 10, 2007
i think the formula still works; it's just this particular year is way off for the reasons you state. i have no idea why the producers and judges, having seen thousands of auditioners, couldn't have come up with a more dynamic, musically-diverse, charismatic, backstory-rich group. hate to say it, by by and large, it's a pretty boring show this year. but the formula is still golden, and hopefully they'll get it right next year.
Lady Kate

Tel Aviv, Israel

#14 Apr 10, 2007
As a former die-hard Idol fan - I concur!

The auditions were a fiasco.

Hollywood was invisible.

Last year's 12 eliminated semi-finalists could sing circles around this year's top 12 and they were all stage-worthy.

I do believe us "audience" will allow AI the grace of one bad season. One more like this year, though, and I'll be turning the channel.
wiskeyjug

Flanders, NJ

#15 Apr 10, 2007
Sanjaya should be shot with an arrow and doolittle's face placed in a paper bag. Hailey to be kissed all over ( i'll do it!)And Chris, am i the only one who thinks he sounds like a duck?
JON

Gilbert, AZ

#16 Apr 11, 2007
You're nuts. Melinda's already one? Have you listened to Jordon Sparks at all? This is certainly going to be a two horse race to the end, keep your ears and mind open until the end.
Born in Brooklyn

Denver, CO

#17 Apr 11, 2007
Actually, I was getting quite frustrated about the fact that Sanjaya was still in the running. But his performance last night was pretty good. Having said that, I think that the winner should be the one who most CONSISTANTLY has shown the qualities that should be inherent in an "american idol" - talent, presence and ability to grow. IMO, Melinda has shown ALL of those qualities. From the first time I heard her on the very first round, I knew she would wind up in the top 10. Her shyness and uncertainty were a factor in the early part of the competition, but she has shown remarkable progress in her level of self-confidence and her ability to "put it out there". I wish her the best of luck. I'm sure that those who will participate in the Idols tour will have bright futures as well. What round was it that Jennifer Hudson was eliminated in? I forget - but look where she went. Anything is possible for any of these contestants.
Rick

Hoboken, NJ

#18 Apr 11, 2007
Newsday need to remove this offensive headline at once! This is worse then Imus.
Don

Hoboken, NJ

#19 Apr 11, 2007
Easily the most offensive headline of the year. FOR SHAME NEWSDAY FOR SHAME!!!!!!!
Born in Brooklyn

Denver, CO

#20 Apr 11, 2007
Don wrote:
Easily the most offensive headline of the year. FOR SHAME NEWSDAY FOR SHAME!!!!!!!
OMG - are you people really serious? I couldn't for the life of me figure out what you people were talking about when you said the headline was offensive.

Chink - a small cleft, slit, or fissure (a chink in the fence) a weak spot that may leave one vulnerable (his lawyers found a chink in the law)

The fact that you would interpret the word "chink" as a derogatory remark before seeing it in the context in which it was intended leaves me to think there is no hope for the world.

Please tell me you were kidding.
Phlogiston

AOL

#21 Apr 11, 2007
You left out the most obvious reason: it's getting to be old hat. Every year is basically the same, the same songs are done over and over and over. Each of the 3 judges says the same things over and over and over. The chances of any of these people actually becoming a major singing star is pretty small. The world eventually moves on from every TV phenomenon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geriatric Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halton Healthcare launches Hospital Elder Life ... Apr '16 GTA 1
News Alzheimer Society hosting free seminar on dementia Jan '16 Brain Pilaster - ... 1
News Graves & Gilbert Clinic Welcomes Dr. Chhabra to... (Jan '14) Jan '16 curious 20
News Learn ways to cope with depression and anxiety ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 HumanSpirit 4
Kano state school of nursing 2015/16 form isout... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Mr salami 1
News Halton Healthcare Services gets - Exemplar' sta... (Nov '14) Nov '14 a shallow room 1
News Hospital awarded 'exemplar' status (Nov '14) Nov '14 how really works ... 1
More from around the web