Experts see ill will on the grill

Experts see ill will on the grill

There are 21 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 24, 2007, titled Experts see ill will on the grill. In it, Newsday reports that:

With the backyard grilling season approaching, medical experts have managed the scientific equivalent of pouring cold water on a pile of fiery briquettes: Grilling and other high-heat cooking methods accelerate ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Bronx, NY

#1 Apr 24, 2007
For crying out loud, scientists can take the fun out of anything.
Steve Guerrero Tucson AZ

United States

#2 Apr 24, 2007
Screw it!! Ya aint living forever. So give me my chicken-wings, burgers, and steaks - and while we're at it, let's throw another shrimp on the barbie. Flame-up and chow-down baby!!!!
Yeah ok

Pleasantville, NY

#3 Apr 25, 2007
Yeah sure - let me poach up a good steak - UGH! With all the things that can kill us on this planet, it amazing we're still alive! Just grill whatever you want and live your life happy fer cryin' out loud!

Stony Brook, NY

#4 Apr 25, 2007
um...yeah, sure. Cave men had a much longer lifespan that us eating raw woolly mammoth.
Edith Anne

Bristol, CT

#5 Apr 25, 2007
Hey, we're all gonna die anyway - pass the BBQ sauce and while your at it, sure, I'll take another chargrilled hot dog!
Wya The Fugawi

United States

#7 Apr 25, 2007
Scientists and medical experts have determined conclusively that life is the leading cause of aging and fatal illness.

So do your part. Stop fcuking.

Clifton, NJ

#8 Apr 25, 2007
Grilling steak also contributes to global warming, which is killing the polar bears. Ban unlicensed Webers. For the children.

Since: Apr 07

Norfolk, NE

#9 Apr 25, 2007
They will try to outlaw BBQ next.. Bleedin heart liberals.
Fred Bronson

#11 Apr 25, 2007
I wonder if the quantity produced of these newly discovered toxins vary with the type of meat?

Morristown, NJ

#12 Apr 26, 2007
Food directly over the coals may do this. If you put the coals on one side and put the Food over the other side, cover and cook, then it's like baking in the oven and should lower these effects.

Camden, AR

#13 Apr 26, 2007
Be especially wary when "experts use words such as may, maybe, it's possible, possibly, might, could, probably, theorize, and other words. Those are buzz words for "I am speaking bologna and don't have a clue. But it sounds good and I get my name in a journal." Maybe the solution is to quit eating. Naw. Let's forget the "experts." Fire up the grill and bring on the fried chicken. Pass the gravy and biscuits, please.
Linda Rivera

Budd Lake, NJ

#14 Apr 26, 2007
Thousands of people get salmonella from drinking high-heat pasteurized milk. Pasteurization does NOT kill bacteria but it does destroy wholesome foods! Pasteurization destroys half of the calcium in milk. Health-producing raw milk, raw cheese, raw yogurt, raw butter and raw cream MUST be made available in supermarkets!
In the fall, the California Almond Board are planning to pasteurize raw almonds - destroying a wonderful, wholesome food. STOP DESTROYING dairy and other wholesome HEALTH-GIVING FOOD WITH PASTEURIZATION !
And stop destroying food via genetic modification!

Sierra Vista, AZ

#15 Apr 26, 2007
As Earl said "beware of the vague experts". This is what got Global Warming going, some dipstick in a lab coat said something and the looonies ran with it. Did you ever notice the only real bad things the loonies want stoppped are things that weaken America. They want anything that promotes he-man, god, guts, and guns Americanism (what built this country) outlawed then destroyed.
So pass the suace and the ammunition an defend your right to grill. LOL... I wonder if this expertt is really a VEGGIE/ animal rights activist who wants us to stop the slaughter for sake of the grill.
Linda Rivera

Budd Lake, NJ

#16 Apr 26, 2007
FDA/Big Pharma TYRANNY: FDA plan to reclassify vitamins and nutritional supplements, etc. as drugs! DESTROYING our FREEDOM and HEALTH. Take action now!
When it comes to health freedom, this is the FDA's end game. A new FDA "guidance" document, published on the FDA's website, reveals plans to reclassify virtually all vitamins, supplements, herbs and even vegetable juices as FDA-regulated drugs.

Massage oils and massage rocks will be classified as "medical devices" and require FDA approval. The document is called Docket No. 2006D-0480. Draft Guidance for Industry on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Products and Their Regulation by the Food and Drug Administration.

The FDA is accepting public comments on the docket until April 30th...If you wish to protect your access to nutritional supplements, herbs, essential oils, homeopathic is crucial that you take action to post your comments with the FDA right now and write your representatives in Washington to put a stop to this outrageous effort to destroy natural medicine.(And be sure to really write them. Just sending an email has virtually no impact compared to writing a physical letter in your own words.)

Click here for the direct link to the FDA's comment posting page for this docket.

... MAKE SURE you include the docket number 2006D-0480. But don't trust this to be enough. The FDA will probably simply delete half the complaints it receives, so don't trust your complaint to actually count. It's important to continue...

2. Send a strongly-worded letter to your representatives in Washington. Be sure to cite Docket No. 2006D-0480. Draft Guidance for Industry on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Products and Their Regulation by the Food and Drug Administration. Tell them you support open access to vitamins, herbs, and supplements, and you do not want CAM to be regulated by the FDA.

United States

#17 Apr 26, 2007
Get a life, The sky is not falling.
Waya The Fugawi

United States

#18 Apr 26, 2007
Another FDA/Corporate Oligopolist conspiracy!!

Support the dihydrogen monoxide ban - write your representative in Washington TODAY!

Stop these corporate greedheads and their FDA lackeys from making PROFITS off this industrial coolant compound that FDA has approved as a food additive!
Matt W

United States

#19 Apr 26, 2007
Mrs. Vlassara theorizes "that AGEs are probably produced during pasteurization." This implies that AGEs are only released during the high heat cooking and that the root cause of the problem is actually with the pasteurization of the food.
Say What

New York, NY

#20 Apr 26, 2007
Just another bogus study report that is either filled with maybe's or could be's.
This reminds me of the two reports that I read while studying engineering in under graduate school.
The first was a worst case analysis of the stresses and strains on the ankle bones which clearly demonstrated that the human foot was unsafe to walk on.
The second was done by an aeronautical engineer that "proved" that Bumble bees could not fly.
Just like the foot and bumble bee analysis, this BBQ study is also not true and sounds like it was written and endorsed by vegetarians..

Douglasville, GA

#21 Apr 26, 2007
All the more reason to eat BBQ! Which is slow cooked over low temps for long periods of time. Exactly opposite of what they're saying is bad for you.

Southern BBQ, a health food! Yeah!!

Douglasville, GA

#22 Apr 26, 2007
turnabout wrote:
well, all I have to say about this is:
You are an absolute idiot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geriatric Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halton Healthcare launches Hospital Elder Life ... (Apr '16) Apr '16 GTA 1
News Alzheimer Society hosting free seminar on dementia (Jan '16) Jan '16 Brain Pilaster - ... 1
News Graves & Gilbert Clinic Welcomes Dr. Chhabra to... (Jan '14) Jan '16 curious 20
News Learn ways to cope with depression and anxiety ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 HumanSpirit 4
Kano state school of nursing 2015/16 form isout... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Mr salami 1
News Halton Healthcare Services gets - Exemplar' sta... (Nov '14) Nov '14 a shallow room 1
News Hospital awarded 'exemplar' status (Nov '14) Nov '14 how really works ... 1
More from around the web