VA Hospital adds on $30 million in co...

VA Hospital adds on $30 million in construction

There are 3 comments on the KOAT-TV story from Nov 11, 2013, titled VA Hospital adds on $30 million in construction. In it, KOAT-TV reports that:

The only veterans hospital in the state is adding on $30 million worth of construction, quite possibly making it the biggest provider in the region.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOAT-TV.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1 Nov 11, 2013
But is it going to increase the level of care veterans get there? I hope so for the sake of those who need it.
Daryl

United States

#2 Nov 12, 2013
<h1>VA Hospital new construction is NOT American Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant. </h1>

Examples:

Group offices are not wheelchair accessible.

Bathrooms can not be accessed by a left handed person in a wheelchair.

Bathroom has a step next to toilet that prevents wheelchair from getting close to toilet.

A handicapped person skilled in ADA code should be required to go through the new construction before they complete it so that needed revisions are done so that additional costs are not incurred by the government for faulty construction.
Daryl

United States

#3 Nov 12, 2013
CornDogz,

That I suppose depends upon the productivity, or the loss of productivity that the design of the new construction is going to cause.

Obviously the criminal neglect in the design of the new construction related to ADA code must be addressed. This may be a temporary oversight that they will correct before construction is completed.

But, if productivity goes down, then the designer of the new construction should be fired. Think of the cost of personnel. A physician makes $200k to $300k a year. If 8 physicians have their productivity reduced by half, that is a loss of $1 million dollars a year just in their labor costs. There are at least 100 physicians and 500 support staff at the VA. Plus there are other losses related to logistics and the need to outsource services not provided.

$30 million spent that reduces productivity could easily cost the VA $300 million in lost return on investment if the construction reduces productivity over the lifetime of the construction use.

If the productivity goes up, without losing personnel due to professional harassment from trying to force productivity in an environment that reduces productivity. Then the design personnel may have known what they were doing.

But walking through the facility, there seems to be some self-serving corruption going on because ADA code is so fundamental to any hospital construction activity.

I will bet someone is trying to get a promotion and they are not qualified to make the decisions they are making.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geriatric Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Graves & Gilbert Clinic Welcomes Dr. Chhabra to... (Jan '14) Jul 15 NeedAGoodDr 18
News Learn ways to cope with depression and anxiety ... Apr '15 HumanSpirit 4
Kano state school of nursing 2015/16 form isout... Apr '15 Mr salami 1
News Senior Power: Sexuality It's a good thing. (Apr '13) Mar '15 jovichen 13
News Halton Healthcare Services gets - Exemplar' sta... (Nov '14) Nov '14 a shallow room 1
News Hospital awarded 'exemplar' status (Nov '14) Nov '14 how really works ... 1
News Memory disorders centers provide specialized care (Aug '14) Aug '14 HumanSpirit 1
More from around the web