Posted in the Gastroenterology Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Krystal

Ilford, UK

#1 Jan 6, 2010
Hi all,

I've scheduled yet another appointment with the doctor as I have now been for visits 4 times and haven't been given an answer for what's going on with me. I know that these forums can be very helpful so i thought I'd give it a try.:)

For the last 3-4 months I've been experiencing some very painful symptoms. Beneath both sides of my rib cage I started feeling a dull ache that has now developed into such a pain, especially on the left side, that I cannot sleep on that side at night. My stomach is always very bloated to the point of pain, and if I press down on my right side (about midway between my rib cage and hip) it hurts horribly. I've also started to get very bad pain in my lower back and sides and stomach spasms, which seem to be worse if I cough or sneeze (the area will spasm for about 5 minutes). The latest symptom to show up is very black tarry stool *very sorry for the T.M.I.*. The pain on my sides, lower back, and beneath my ribs in beginning to interfere with my life. Also, I don't know if it's related, but I've been suffering with shortness of breath and dizzy spells.

If anyone has even a clue as to what this could be I would be so grateful. I know that we cannot diagnose someone over the internet, but I'm hoping that maybe someone will recognize the symptoms and can point me in the right direction since my doctor is just not taking me very seriously.

Thank you!
ABP

New York, NY

#2 Feb 11, 2010
Hope you were diagnosed by now! Just came across this and black tarry stools + shortness of breath = blood loss through your GI tract and anemia, which urgently needs attention. I'd definitely recommend looking into crohn's or IBS as a possibility through colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, or the camera pill. Good luck!
Steve

Salisbury, MD

#3 Oct 14, 2010
Any word on this?
Krystal wrote:
Hi all,
I've scheduled yet another appointment with the doctor as I have now been for visits 4 times and haven't been given an answer for what's going on with me. I know that these forums can be very helpful so i thought I'd give it a try.:)
For the last 3-4 months I've been experiencing some very painful symptoms. Beneath both sides of my rib cage I started feeling a dull ache that has now developed into such a pain, especially on the left side, that I cannot sleep on that side at night. My stomach is always very bloated to the point of pain, and if I press down on my right side (about midway between my rib cage and hip) it hurts horribly. I've also started to get very bad pain in my lower back and sides and stomach spasms, which seem to be worse if I cough or sneeze (the area will spasm for about 5 minutes). The latest symptom to show up is very black tarry stool *very sorry for the T.M.I.*. The pain on my sides, lower back, and beneath my ribs in beginning to interfere with my life. Also, I don't know if it's related, but I've been suffering with shortness of breath and dizzy spells.
If anyone has even a clue as to what this could be I would be so grateful. I know that we cannot diagnose someone over the internet, but I'm hoping that maybe someone will recognize the symptoms and can point me in the right direction since my doctor is just not taking me very seriously.
Thank you!
Steve

Salisbury, MD

#4 Oct 14, 2010
Has there been any resolve to this, you seem to have the same problems I have.
All of this is on the left side of my body.
Jenfer

Canton, MS

#5 Dec 6, 2010
I am having same problem mine is on left side between hip and ribs...dull aching burning sensations that are constant, sometimes w/bm sometimes not. I have appt w/gastroenterologist on 12/10/2010. Pain seems to relieve a little w/pressure from pushing on my side and my stomach does seem bloated.
LMD

Columbus, NJ

#6 Dec 13, 2010
If anyone has any resolution or has made any headway on this, please respond. My fiancee has been dealing with the same issues for close to 4 years now with no answers but a HUGE amount of tests. His is also all on the left side of his body. extreme pain in the lower left abdomen that wraps around the left side up to the back of the left rib cage. there is swelling near the rib area as well. There are a ton of posts online from people dealing with these symptoms but they are all a couple years old with no update. Just looking to see if anyone got any headway on this...
jena

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Mar 1, 2011
Not to scare anyone but my cousins friend went through the same she had a lump under her ribs with pain shortness of breath she went to docs and they kepts saying it was a pulled muscle come to find out one doc finally went in and removed it and found out she has a rare cancer she didnt give me the name yet but it is rare and they have her on treatments to hopefully take care of it hoping they caught it in time but just like someone posted do not give up until you find a doctor to take you seriously its sad now a days seems like docs dont care anymore
natasha

Columbus, OH

#8 Mar 2, 2011
I have been having a pain in my back about 1 to 2 inces below my shoulder blade...it comes and goes but gets really intense at times. Also if i press right below my rib cage in the front right side it hurts in my back.....any suggestions???? Any will be greatly appreciated :)
Jennifer

Hixton, WI

#10 May 3, 2011
Krystal wrote:
Hi all,
Thank you!
I am betting you found no relief yet, I too had the same symptoms for the past TEN years and just found out 1 week ago that I have parasites inside me!! It is very common just like you de-worm your pets, we need to do the same thing!! You can email me with any questions you may have classicssportsbar@yahoo.com

http://www.appliedozone.com/parasites.html

http://www.morgellons-disease-research.com/Mo...
Kristin

United States

#11 May 13, 2011
I've never done this forum thing before but I like to read them. I'm looking on this one because I also am having some strange spasms too. Almost like mild contractions. Some entries I just read though from all of you remind me of celiac disease. I was diagnosed about two months ago and it has changed my life tremendously!! All for the better. My plumbing finally works great!! I'm not sure why I'm having these spasms now though. It's very painful and I know I didn't eat something wrong with this new gluten free diet that I'm on.
Any ideas?
roberta hannigan

Dublin, Ireland

#12 Jun 22, 2011
Krystal wrote:
Hi all,
Thank you!
i was wondering if u ever got any diagnosis to ur problem as ive benn having the same problem about 2 and half months now ?
deanna

Bowling Green, KY

#13 Jun 25, 2011
i am having pains on my ride side only from my ribs down to my hips its like a very dull pain an if i stand or sit i feel something move in there an it hurts pretty bad .. i dont no wat it can be i havnt went to the doc yet i dont want to look stupid either an they say i am fine .. but if anyone noes anything please like me no soon
Rosemarie

AOL

#14 Aug 11, 2011
Im having the same pain that you are all discribing if you are over weight as i am its just somthing you have to live with . the best thing i can tell you is when it dont hurt thats when you should try to exersise drink plenty of water and try not to smoke thease things have helped me. when you get the pain in your sides stand up and lean backwards with your arms stright up as you are comming foward take a deep breath and let it out slowly. this is realy bad i gst it when im driving ands have to pull over to strighten up good luck
sarah

Warrenton, VA

#15 Aug 24, 2011
I've been having horrible cramps under my ribs/ up to my chest it hurts when I breathe heavily or sneeze,laugh,yawn. My back is very sore and tender. I did have a urinary tract infection two weeks ago ans was treated with cipro. I have a little but of a "vommiting" feeling
michy

Avon, OH

#16 Sep 27, 2011
It can possibly be your gall bladder. I had the same issues and was diagnosed with gallstones.
Ilona

Bethlehem, PA

#17 Oct 14, 2011
Natasha, Right side under rib cage and shoulder back pain fits into gallbladder issues. Read http://www.sensiblehealth.com/ for natural food treatments to flush your gallbladder out to relieve the pressure from backed up bile and stones. No need to fear natural flushes. There is a reason to fear jumping under the blade from overzealous doctors wanting to cut organs out without trying healthy and natural ways to remedy problems as they occur.

I wish some others would please respond to the pain on the left side of abdomen between hip and ribs and let us know what was found. I'm sure not all results are cancer, but am glad at least one person responded.
natasha wrote:
I have been having a pain in my back about 1 to 2 inces below my shoulder blade...it comes and goes but gets really intense at times. Also if i press right below my rib cage in the front right side it hurts in my back.....any suggestions???? Any will be greatly appreciated :)
Janice Nuku

Auckland, New Zealand

#18 Oct 17, 2011
a few years ago I had pain in my right side and in my back, and if I ate more than a saucer size I would have to sit up all night with pain in my abdomen and right accross my back, so I was quite a small person but I took a lot more weight off as could not eat much. My doctor gave me a kidney test but they were fine and then after suffering for a while he gave my an ultra sound accross my stomach and under my right ribs, it was found that I had 10 big square shaped stones, in my Gallbladder, had to have key hole surgery. and the pain went, and I could eat more again, but have kept on a low fat diet some of the time.
Now 8 years later, I have pain under left ribs, and sometimes under right ribs, but mostly under left ribs and it gets sore when I lye down on that side.And I get a bloated stomach and lots of wind and belching so am on Losec 40 mgs one every night and now dont have much wind.I am going to get the camera put down into my stomach in a week ot 2, so hope they dont find anything too horrible.I am 63 years old and have been not so active since the death of my husband 5 years ago.But I do get constipation so take laxatives a few times a week, and I think these pains under my left rib is coming from my stomach and also my bowel, thats why I try not to get constipated, so there is not much build up, but who knows what our insides look like!But I hate it when I am bloated and I look like a pregnant Woman!I have started to eat lots of fruit every morning and lessen my bread each day, and I have a raw salad every day with some lightly cooked vegetables, and very little meat.And I take smaller meals now.But still will have to get my bowel looked at again, last time they saw I had difituculitus, well I have spelt that wrong sorry but you maybe able to guess, it is little pockets found in the bowel most people get them over 60, and usually dont give any symptons, but sometimes they can flare up , but I do not think it is flaring up with me I think I have an ulcer or an inflamed stomach or bowel.
Mark

Aberdare, UK

#19 Nov 11, 2011
Interesting. Having exactly the same issue as some on here right now. Last month I started having pain top left side of abdomen, right where the ribs meet the abdomen. Went to docs and he said I was 'full of wind', so he put me on peppermint IBS medication to break the wind down.
Three days back though, my stomach swelled dramatically, and as a poster above said, I looked pregnant. Phoned NHS direct and they advised me to see my GP the following morning. Went to see him and he advised me to take Actimel twice a day, as the 'bad' bacteria were taking over my intestines, and I needed to replenish my 'good' bacteria.
He said the left sided pain was because the bend of the large intestine, which descends right where my pain is, is straightening out, because it is being blown up by the gas.
I've been on Actimel now for two days, and will let you know if it does any good. i'll bookmark this and let you know in a month.
What I can't understand is why the gas doesn't just, ahem, escape, you know? lol. Why is it staying trapped in there?
Clare

Sale, UK

#20 Nov 17, 2011
I've been really interested to read all your posts. I have awful pains in my sides, lower back and around my ribs for about 6months. The pain is there nearly all the time, it eases more when I lie down. I can't say there is any change in my bowel movements, maybe slightly consitpated. The pain was so bad last month that I went to A&E I was admitted to hosptial, I had a CT scan, gastroscopy and Colonscopy but could not find anything wrong. Although that is good news I still have no answer to what is causing the pain. It's getting me down now and my GP want to put me on Anti depressants!! I was wondering if it's IBS? I have read that the can from IBS can be very bad?? Can any help me??
Christa Claassen

Johannesburg, South Africa

#21 Nov 21, 2011
Hi - I am from South Africa and had a masectomy Jun2010 afterwards I had chemotherapy and are current suffering from sharp pain under my left rib cage, shortness of breath, stomach swelling, paid in my shoulder and dI don't have an appetite, I don't know what can cause this and is actually scared to go to the doctor in the fear of more bad news, please advice - Did they find out what was the cause of your symptoms?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gastroenterology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
upper abdominal discomfort / pain near left rib (Nov '07) Mar 24 Charmaine 843
News H Pylori Natural Treatment Advice From Gastroen... Mar 24 Gerald Vonberger 3
Nissen Fundoplication Complications (post surgery) (Oct '11) Mar 19 goldenlady r 360
News Dr. Andrew Wakefield reveals shocking news abou... Mar 16 Friend 7
Left side pain, stool changes, no answers Mar 12 Lleroux 2
please help me Feb '15 iga 1
News Living with Heartburn (Oct '12) Feb '15 Lecktor 6
More from around the web