Medicare
FamDoc

Searcy, AR

#1 Nov 21, 2010
Medicare needs to be fixed! I had SGF (sustainable growth formula) fatigue so in 2009 after writing my state senators twice, I decided that the only reasonable option was to close my practice to new medicare patients. Due to the low reimbursement and red tape hassles of medicare, there was only one other option---to start seeing far more patients each day and take care of fewer and fewer "extras" at each visit (like preventive care). Since I am not willing to sacrifice quality for quantity, I chose to stop taking medicare. Now, when I do speak with a medicare beneficiary or a soon to be beneficiary, I tell them to call their legislators if they cannot find a Doctor. This sounds harsh but the Physicians have been speaking to businessmen and lawyers in DC using the compassionate language of the caregiver--We need to speak their language in order to be heard and that means we must act on business principles. If the margin on a product we sell gets too low for profit, then we stop selling that product. Ultimately supply goes down, demand goes up and the margin is again reasonable!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Practice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Town lands new doctor (Jan '09) Aug '17 drug software 2 eh 8
News There's a new doc in town (Sep '14) Jun '17 Homer 4
News Drugstores, retailers dive deeper into vaccines (Sep '14) Apr '17 Dr Duntsch Ziotard 2
News New family physicians accepting patients in Hal... (Jan '17) Mar '17 nurse-falls-asleep 8
Resignation- professionally (Dec '16) Dec '16 mountaindoc 1
Online consultations? (Apr '16) Jun '16 Milestone06 2
News Oakville, Halton doctors prepare for Toronto ra... (Apr '16) Apr '16 GREED at the TROUGH 2
More from around the web