Low pay from Medicaid keeps doctors a...

Low pay from Medicaid keeps doctors away from primary care

There are 23 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 28, 2009, titled Low pay from Medicaid keeps doctors away from primary care. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Look no further than the Illinois Medicaid program to understand why more physicians are not being lured into the primary-care profession.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Cindy

Palo Alto, CA

#22 Jul 9, 2009
You are absolutely right! Pvt insurers have limited access for years. What do you think a PPO or HmO is ? Limited access. Doctors and nurses sitting on the phone dictating what test, procedure or hospital stay will be covered. Can the government do better - who knows? My mom is receiving medicare - so far so good. She has more options than I do with private insurance.
Anon Y Mouse wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is different from having a private insurer doing essentially the same thing?
Sorry but if you want health care reform you have to do things that will stop money from leaking from the health care industry.
Malpractice insurance is probably the largest chunk of change that doctors face regardless of their ability to practice medicine. The bulk of the malpractice lawsuits are 'frivolous'.
But where will you find an honest lawyer who is willing to enact changes to the legal system which limits the ability of someone to sue someone?
Doug

Springfield, MO

#23 Jan 13, 2011
UofC employee wrote:
Because of the FDA and the AMA becoming a doctor is way too long and expensive. If we could drastically shorten up the cost and time to get a MD then we could get more doctors willing to work for less. Just create legislation to allow non-MD's to practice medicine provided their patients consent and sign a waiver of liability. Allow third part law suits, but thats it. problem solved. how many EMTs paramedics, nurses, even aids can diagnose and treat symptoms as good as most doctors. take them off their high horse. create a bazaar out of this bureaucracy!
I would rather pay a freelancing EMT-P for a regular checkup or a prescription. doctors have blinders on and dont get out much
The average pediatrician makes less than a union dock worker in California according to published settlement papers from the last strike. They do it because they have a calling. Those other providers are not qualified as independent practitioners. Your notion of placing care in the hands of less qualified individuals shows a real lack of knowledge. People deserve to be paid appropriately for their profession. That is not happening in Medicine regardless of the type of practitioner you are. The training is long because the fundamental knowledge expected to be able to safely care for another human takes a long time to learn. Truncating the process and giving someone with the responsibility for a human life only part of the knowledge necessary is dangerous.
Danger_Close

Kingsport, TN

#24 Nov 28, 2011
spongebob wrote:
i think you all need to realize whats going on here is wrong. i was just told by someone that she has not been paid in one month because of the medicaid situation and medicaid will not pay the doctors so they cant pay the staff. my son has an absest tooth and they cant pull it, they gave me a prescription and when i got it filled they told me that after yesterday all medicaid is no good that came from the doctors office and the pharmacy. i think health care workers and pharmacy people know more than we do and there is something the government doesnt want us to know.
Too bad I just saw this post now. Where do you think OBAMA got the money for "Cash for Clunkers" and to bailout General Motors and Chrysler? Money paid in by workers and employees for social security/medicare and medicaid....someone had to suffer so he could pay off the unions.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Practice Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Drugstores, retailers dive deeper into vaccines (Sep '14) Apr '17 Dr Duntsch Ziotard 2
News New family physicians accepting patients in Hal... Mar '17 nurse-falls-asleep 8
Resignation- professionally Dec '16 mountaindoc 1
Online consultations? (Apr '16) Jun '16 Milestone06 2
News Oakville, Halton doctors prepare for Toronto ra... (Apr '16) Apr '16 GREED at the TROUGH 2
News UVic model cuts wait for psychiatric care (Mar '16) Mar '16 HumanSpirit 2
Primary Care Physician/Family Doctor (Mar '16) Mar '16 sprice1979 1
More from around the web