Sensitivity from two-arm vs one-arm study design

Posted in the Epidemiology Forum

Amit Heaven

Edmonton, Canada

#1 Mar 9, 2010
Hi all, I am currently doing research on diagnostic accuracy and have encountered some conceptual issues in mind.

A diagnostic case control study (one arm with disease population and another arm with healthy control) can provide enough information (TP, TN, FP, FN) for a 2x2 table and sensitivity/specificity calculations.

Yet a single arm study (if that's what it's called) with only disease population can also be used to calculate sensitivity since it provides both TP and FN. My question is, it there any reason to believe the sensitivity calculated by one-arm study is inferior than two-arm study?

Also, I have tried searching relevant articles on medline with no avail. If you can please, refer me to some specific book or journal that deals with this concept. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Epidemiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
78 people now infected in u.s. measles outbreak Jan 28 anothervoice 1
What parents need to know about Monsanto: "By 2... Jan 3 POS Alert 7
Quarantined nurse decries 'knee-jerk reaction' ... Oct '14 OccupyThis 8
Ethiopia to deploy 210 health workers in Ebola-... Oct '14 BettyDoll 1
Research Project Sep '14 adinar13 1
CDC to board ship from Africa with sick crew Sep '14 Marine Phoenix 1
Canadian laboratory team evacuated from Ebola z... Aug '14 motley crews 2
More from around the web