Staph infections rampant

As many as 1.2 million hospital patients are infected with dangerous, drug-resistant staph infections each year, almost 10 times more than previous estimates, based on findings from a major new study. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#22 Aug 7, 2009
STAPH INFECTIONS DISCOVER HEALTHCARE RAMPANT

...would be a more accurate title.
Abe

Bellevue, WA

#23 Sep 16, 2009
I have had staph on my scalp for 3 months now and it has been a pain. I am a healthy young wrestler and I take multivitamins and protein and eat a well balanced diet and I still can't get rid of it even with two different antibiotics both sulfanomide and cephalosporin drugs (Septra and Keflex.) It started as a scab and I thought nothing of it until it progressed into a golf ball sized growth on the side of my head and caused serious hair loss. I now can't even go into public without wearing a hat since the sight of a massive bald spot on my head seems to trigger random interrogation sessions from concerned people. I never thought that staph could be such a nasty thing. I just want to be able to wrestle for my senior year and have my life back.

“Now I know how strong I can be”

Since: May 07

Marthastown

#24 Sep 16, 2009
Abe wrote:
I have had staph on my scalp for 3 months now and it has been a pain. I am a healthy young wrestler and I take multivitamins and protein and eat a well balanced diet and I still can't get rid of it even with two different antibiotics both sulfanomide and cephalosporin drugs (Septra and Keflex.) It started as a scab and I thought nothing of it until it progressed into a golf ball sized growth on the side of my head and caused serious hair loss. I now can't even go into public without wearing a hat since the sight of a massive bald spot on my head seems to trigger random interrogation sessions from concerned people. I never thought that staph could be such a nasty thing. I just want to be able to wrestle for my senior year and have my life back.
I did vancomiacin for 16 weeks. this can cause liver damage, so be careful. Have they tried cutting it out? Please keep it monitored, Staph can kill you, what kind of doctor are you seeing? see either a surgeon or an infectious disease doctor. go to a teaching hospital, they have the most cutting edge technology.
Abe

Bellevue, WA

#25 Sep 16, 2009
carbon wrote:
<quoted text>
I did vancomiacin for 16 weeks. this can cause liver damage, so be careful. Have they tried cutting it out? Please keep it monitored, Staph can kill you, what kind of doctor are you seeing? see either a surgeon or an infectious disease doctor. go to a teaching hospital, they have the most cutting edge technology.
Well when I first went to an urgent care clinic, they couldn't even tell me what it was and sat there poking it with a wooden stick. They eventually prescribed me with Keflex. So I went to my doctor and he said it was most likely staph even though I also had ringworm and impetigo on my body.(Yeah 3 skin diseases at a time.) So he stuck a drain inside the pus cavity and left it stitched in there for 3 days. That's when he put me on Septra and said that the Keflex might now work so to take Septra instead. So I halted the Keflex after taking only a couple pills and started taking the Septra. The swelling went down but the tenderness was still there and it hurt to touch it. So I decided to finish up the Keflex and that cleared it up even more. Now I am out of antibiotics and am afraid that it might not be all gone. My hair is starting to grow back though, thank goodness.

Marthastown

#26 Sep 16, 2009
Abe wrote:
<quoted text>
Well when I first went to an urgent care clinic, they couldn't even tell me what it was and sat there poking it with a wooden stick. They eventually prescribed me with Keflex. So I went to my doctor and he said it was most likely staph even though I also had ringworm and impetigo on my body.(Yeah 3 skin diseases at a time.) So he stuck a drain inside the pus cavity and left it stitched in there for 3 days. That's when he put me on Septra and said that the Keflex might now work so to take Septra instead. So I halted the Keflex after taking only a couple pills and started taking the Septra. The swelling went down but the tenderness was still there and it hurt to touch it. So I decided to finish up the Keflex and that cleared it up even more. Now I am out of antibiotics and am afraid that it might not be all gone. My hair is starting to grow back though, thank goodness.
Go to an infectious disease doctor or a surgeon. There is the relatively new specialty of wound care doctors so see if you can find one of them.. I was on Augmentan first then vancomiacin, Keflex make me puke like a billy goat. If it still hurts it is probably still infected. Just google wound care doctors + your zip. or look for a teaching hospital in your area.
Abe

Bellevue, WA

#27 Sep 17, 2009
carbon wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to an infectious disease doctor or a surgeon. There is the relatively new specialty of wound care doctors so see if you can find one of them.. I was on Augmentan first then vancomiacin, Keflex make me puke like a billy goat. If it still hurts it is probably still infected. Just google wound care doctors + your zip. or look for a teaching hospital in your area.
Okay thanks. I will check out some of those places.

Marthastown

#28 Sep 17, 2009
Abe wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay thanks. I will check out some of those places.
\keep me posted
donna durrenberger

San Mateo, CA

#29 Oct 20, 2009
This is so crazy I have had three recent surgeries without any incident and now i have mrsa. My baby nephew had a boil and i was carrying for him weeks ago, we later found out he has mrsa. Now i get a bite or pimple or whatever it was and end up in the hospital. They dug out the infection and put me on iv antibiotics for 5 days. Now i'm home on oral meds, with a hole in my leg. Is this mrsa going to kill me. I'm so scared now to even touch anything. I have had animals all my life and cuts and stratches all my life with no problems now this. Will I just keep getting these over and over again.
donna durrenberger

San Mateo, CA

#30 Oct 20, 2009
I forgot to ask if anyone has had any experience having this mrsa and being close to their animals. I have house cats who are old don't do much and have never gone outside. I also have one dog. I like to love and play with my pets, should i not be doing that anymore?

Marthastown

#31 Oct 21, 2009
i have cats, and I have no problem with them. Ask your doctor anything. there are no dumb questions when it comes to your health. you'll be more prone to infections, just keep cuts and burns clean and covered

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Epidemiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Sample size' calculation in a cross sectional ... Feb 17 IlonaS 1
'Measles parties' a bad idea, California public... Feb 13 Sister Stuart Hal... 3
78 people now infected in u.s. measles outbreak Jan '15 anothervoice 1
What parents need to know about Monsanto: "By 2... Jan '15 POS Alert 7
Quarantined nurse decries 'knee-jerk reaction' ... Oct '14 OccupyThis 8
Ethiopia to deploy 210 health workers in Ebola-... Oct '14 BettyDoll 1
Research Project Sep '14 adinar13 1
More from around the web