Staph infections rampant

Staph infections rampant

There are 30 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jun 25, 2007, titled Staph infections rampant. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

As many as 1.2 million hospital patients are infected with dangerous, drug-resistant staph infections each year, almost 10 times more than previous estimates, based on findings from a major new study.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Oh Please

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Jun 25, 2007
MRSA is a nasty bug. I've had it for over 6 months now. Doctors treated it with oral antibiotics unsucessfully until last week. I now have a Groshon catheter (IV line in my chest) that I get 2 antibiotics through each day for the next month. Installation of the catheter was outpatient surgery. I have already been allergic to two drugs requiring me to stay in the hospital on oxygen to be monitored. Apparently I can still become allergic to the new drugs I am taking as well. This is a nightmare.
This bug is more common out of hospitals now too. It is called community acquired. I got it getting my ear pierced. Apparently those places at the mall aren't as safe as I thought.
A friend called the other day and said she was taking her kid to get her ears pierced at the mall. She changed her mind when I told her what I am going through.
net neutrality

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#2 Jun 25, 2007
maybe the hospitals should pay more attention to their emergency rooms where a complete cross section can sit for hours waiting to be seen and our exposed to every ailment that walks in the door. Go see Sicko the movie and see where your hard earned insurane payments wind up!
DR FRANKENSTEIN

Apopka, FL

#3 Jun 25, 2007
Just another piece of evidence showing that the medical profession is the number one cause of death. If you want to live to a ripe old age, do your best to avoid doctors, hospitals, and prescription drugs. Take responsiblility for your own health. Doctors don't cure ANYTHING. They just treat disease with drugs and surgery, 99% of it doesn't work, but it will potentially kill or make your life one living nightmare, and will probably bankrupt you.

“Now I know how strong I can be”

Since: May 07

Marthastown

#4 Jul 6, 2007
I spent 2 weeks in hospital with resistant staph. a total of 12weeks on vancomiacin. (I have a port-a-cath)I still have an open wound where the infection was cut out of me. I have been doing this for 1 year and 1 week.
Oh Please

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#5 Jul 6, 2007
Carbon, I was allergic to the vancomaicin. I am taking Zyvox by IV twice a day and tobramyacin by IV once a day. I'm hopiing to only have to do this a month or so. I spend 4 hours a day hooked up to an IV. Six months of oral antibiotics got me nowhere, so now I'm doing this.

Your situation doesn't encourage me much.

Marthastown

#6 Jul 6, 2007
Oh Please wrote:
Carbon, I was allergic to the vancomaicin. I am taking Zyvox by IV twice a day and tobramyacin by IV once a day. I'm hopiing to only have to do this a month or so. I spend 4 hours a day hooked up to an IV. Six months of oral antibiotics got me nowhere, so now I'm doing this.
Your situation doesn't encourage me much.
I'm sorry. My home health nurse says I am getting better. If you can in your area, go to a teaching hospital. I am doing MUCH MUCH better since I started going to a medical school hospital because they can and will do things that are experimental. Take tons of vitamin C and my nurse told me to take centrim silver and eat like 6 protiens a day and to try to avoid soda pop and to drink all day long because dehydration makes you heal slower. and get enough pain meds because pain inhibits healing. go to a pharmacy and get hypocleanser (a red soap) and wash your area with this.
I will pray for you. If this offends you, please let me know, I mean no offense I just believe in prayer but I don't want to offend you if you don't.
Pleasse let me know of your progress.
Oh Please

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Jul 7, 2007
Carbon,
Thank you very much in advance for the prayers.
I'm glad to hear you are getting better. What I found depressing is that you have been suffering with this for a year. I'm hoping that a month or a bit more on IV will do it for me. I don't know if that is overly optimistic now. My infectious disease doctor says it should do the trick. So far I haven't seen any change since I started the IV, so I find that discouraging. From what the doctor said, when the meds kick in I should see rapid improvement. The drugs are brutal. I feel like I've been beaten up most of the time. I'm self employed so I can work around the IV schedule, but it is sure tiring. Thanks for the advice.
net neutrality

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Jul 20, 2007
http://www.qualitycheck.org/consumer/searchQC...

Link to check how your local hospital does with infections issues etc
Jbrat

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Jul 30, 2007
I have been fighting some sor tof infection for almost 3 years. Now, it is call MRSA/staph and bacterial. I have lost part of my hair on the right side of my head. No one can tell me why my hair has come out. All the dermatologist can say is he don't know. Well, heck, I can do that. But it is only on my head. I have sores in my head and I at first (and still do to an extent) thought it was ringworm. I got it almost 3 years ago from a kitten. I think it got into my system and remained dormat and then flares up. esp. uner stress.

I have been on high does of steroids for a.most 5 years. I am ow down to 5 mgs. a day. I can't find the right person to tell me what is wrong, and I am getting desperate. I have so many other helath problems on top of this; osteoporosis, a broken leg, 5 broken ribs, and just had T-10 repained in my back. I take over 24 diferent prescriptions every morning, less for lunch, supper and bedtime. But after I take all my meds in the AM i dont' have rom for breakfast. Oh, I am now a diabetic. I have reached my limit on medicare part D. I now have to pay 100% of my prescriptions costs. It was over $500.00 this month. I don't have that much to spend this onth. I will have to leave some out, but which ones do you leave out? It takes me onger to get any meds from the pharm. companies. I have to explain that I am in my "dough-nut hole" b and would they please make an exception. It takes 2 months or more to get that done. I have recevied meds for 2 of my prescriptions.
If anyone out there has any answers to the MRSA and/or the prescription help please reply to my post or email me at [email protected] Thanks for the outlet to vent. it helps.

Marthastown

#10 Jul 30, 2007
Jbrat wrote:
I have been fighting some sor tof infection for almost 3 years. Now, it is call MRSA/staph and bacterial. I have lost part of my hair on the right side of my head. No one can tell me why my hair has come out. All the dermatologist can say is he don't know. Well, heck, I can do that. But it is only on my head. I have sores in my head and I at first (and still do to an extent) thought it was ringworm. I got it almost 3 years ago from a kitten. I think it got into my system and remained dormat and then flares up. esp. uner stress.
I have been on high does of steroids for a.most 5 years. I am ow down to 5 mgs. a day. I can't find the right person to tell me what is wrong, and I am getting desperate. I have so many other helath problems on top of this; osteoporosis, a broken leg, 5 broken ribs, and just had T-10 repained in my back. I take over 24 diferent prescriptions every morning, less for lunch, supper and bedtime. But after I take all my meds in the AM i dont' have rom for breakfast. Oh, I am now a diabetic. I have reached my limit on medicare part D. I now have to pay 100% of my prescriptions costs. It was over $500.00 this month. I don't have that much to spend this onth. I will have to leave some out, but which ones do you leave out? It takes me onger to get any meds from the pharm. companies. I have to explain that I am in my "dough-nut hole" b and would they please make an exception. It takes 2 months or more to get that done. I have recevied meds for 2 of my prescriptions.
If anyone out there has any answers to the MRSA and/or the prescription help please reply to my post or email me at [email protected] Thanks for the outlet to vent. it helps.
Check your area for a teaching hospital and contact them. Tell them in a letter or email everything going on so thay can get you to the right place. They drop fees a lot and give samples of meds a lot. Your meds need to be regulated. cause side effects could be causing a lot of stuff. you need one big co-ordinating doctor!
Oh Please

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Jul 30, 2007
Hey Carbon,

I wanted to update you on my progress. I get the groshong catheter out tomorrow. The doctors all agree that with all the stuff they pumped into me the infection has to be gone. I was on the IV one day shy of a month. The side effects got so bad I couldn't do the last day. I was throwing up 16 hours a day, with blood pouring out my nose. It has been a week and most days I go without throwing up now. They said it should all be out of my system, but considering I still have days of throwing up (and the nose bleeding), it seems there must be some still in my body. I like that thought better than that this is a permanent side effect or something!! This dizziness still has not gone, so I'm hoping that is still attributable to the drugs. The doctor said there were no reported incidences of what I have, so I am just praying the rest of this goes away.

I'm hoping you are doing better.

Marthastown

#12 Jul 30, 2007
Oh Please wrote:
Hey Carbon,
I wanted to update you on my progress. I get the groshong catheter out tomorrow. The doctors all agree that with all the stuff they pumped into me the infection has to be gone. I was on the IV one day shy of a month. The side effects got so bad I couldn't do the last day. I was throwing up 16 hours a day, with blood pouring out my nose. It has been a week and most days I go without throwing up now. They said it should all be out of my system, but considering I still have days of throwing up (and the nose bleeding), it seems there must be some still in my body. I like that thought better than that this is a permanent side effect or something!! This dizziness still has not gone, so I'm hoping that is still attributable to the drugs. The doctor said there were no reported incidences of what I have, so I am just praying the rest of this goes away.
I'm hoping you are doing better.
Yeah, I am getting better. The side effects WILL go away, it just takes a while. Til you aren't dizzy, sit up slow. stand up slow, hold on to something!! Falling is a big risk and a cut or burn can take you right back. i'm still praying for you!! Keep me posted!!
Peachyhugs55

AOL

#13 Nov 28, 2008
I was diagnosed this past week, with what is a potetntial staph infection withtin my port. I am now understanding that this is very serious and I should have stayed in the hospital and continued the IV therapy. My second set of blood cultures are negative for growth, and I feel ok.. all other blood work is fine, my port is working the same as the day I had it put in, no redness or puffiness around port, and no fever. I insisted that the doctor allow me to go home without antibiotics today.. maybe that was a mistake after reading some of your posts. I guess I will need to take heed and watch myself very closely for signs of further infection, and maybe get myself to my primary care doc this week as he said in his discharge instructions and see them..
I am sooo confused, I don't know which is better.. to have stayed in the hospital and continued to get the IV antibiotics until we could have come up with some plan for outpatient IV therapy that wouldn't cost me a $50 a day co pay.. which I can't afford, or put me into a long care facility for the next 4-12 weeks.. meaning I would have had to stay in this facility during the holidays.. Boy, am I depressed right now and I can't stop crying .. please help..

Marthastown

#14 Nov 29, 2008
Peachyhugs55 wrote:
I was diagnosed this past week, with what is a potetntial staph infection withtin my port. I am now understanding that this is very serious and I should have stayed in the hospital and continued the IV therapy. My second set of blood cultures are negative for growth, and I feel ok.. all other blood work is fine, my port is working the same as the day I had it put in, no redness or puffiness around port, and no fever. I insisted that the doctor allow me to go home without antibiotics today.. maybe that was a mistake after reading some of your posts. I guess I will need to take heed and watch myself very closely for signs of further infection, and maybe get myself to my primary care doc this week as he said in his discharge instructions and see them..
I am sooo confused, I don't know which is better.. to have stayed in the hospital and continued to get the IV antibiotics until we could have come up with some plan for outpatient IV therapy that wouldn't cost me a $50 a day co pay.. which I can't afford, or put me into a long care facility for the next 4-12 weeks.. meaning I would have had to stay in this facility during the holidays.. Boy, am I depressed right now and I can't stop crying .. please help..
I had a staph infection in '96. I had 14 weeks of vacomiacin. I have a port from chemo so I could do at home IV's. It was pain beyond belief, but I survived. What kind of insurance do you have? A staph infection is considered life threatening so you could be eligible for medicaid, which covers home health.
redcaboose3054

Grand Rapids, MI

#16 Jul 26, 2009
Carbon is RIGHT....I just spent one week in a hometown hospital because I was too sick to go 40 miles to the teaching hospital I normally use.NOT to mention my primary was ON VACATION and the other Drs.in the office treat me as though they want nothing to do with me due to the fact I have had 16 brain surgeries and they just don't know what in the #@%*to do with me. So,this past week, my IV Port ( used for Anti-Emetics..vomiting meds ) became infected ) Was REMOVED because the hospital SAID I had a STAPH infection and a UTI. I now have a PICC line. Once everything HEALS you can bet your BOOTS I am going RIGHT BACK to the TEACHING hospital where I should have been transfered to in the first place. Yay! For Teaching hospitals.

Marthastown

#17 Jul 26, 2009
redcaboose3054 wrote:
Carbon is RIGHT....I just spent one week in a hometown hospital because I was too sick to go 40 miles to the teaching hospital I normally use.NOT to mention my primary was ON VACATION and the other Drs.in the office treat me as though they want nothing to do with me due to the fact I have had 16 brain surgeries and they just don't know what in the #@%*to do with me. So,this past week, my IV Port ( used for Anti-Emetics..vomiting meds ) became infected ) Was REMOVED because the hospital SAID I had a STAPH infection and a UTI. I now have a PICC line. Once everything HEALS you can bet your BOOTS I am going RIGHT BACK to the TEACHING hospital where I should have been transfered to in the first place. Yay! For Teaching hospitals.
I have to drive about 60 miles to my teaching hospital, but you bet your boots that is where I go. They saved my life.
apostman

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#18 Jul 27, 2009
OOOOOOOOOH!...

not another pity party.

http://superbugassassins.com
Houston

Houston, TX

#19 Aug 6, 2009
I have read your posts and hope all is going well with you. I have been on Vankamicin and Merrum for three months and got off about two weeks ago only to find that the staph isnt gone. I had a foot surgery in October and then got staph about 5 months ago. They had to do a second surgery. We are now trying to find out if its still in the bone.. anyone else been thru this because I didnt expect the 3 months of IV not to work...??? Thanks
apostman

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#20 Aug 6, 2009
We have a problem Houston.

Sorry couldnt resist. I however did misquote the qoute.

"Staph" is a code word for we arent going to tell Houston how bad it really is.

email me [email protected]

Marthastown

#21 Aug 7, 2009
Houston wrote:
I have read your posts and hope all is going well with you. I have been on Vankamicin and Merrum for three months and got off about two weeks ago only to find that the staph isnt gone. I had a foot surgery in October and then got staph about 5 months ago. They had to do a second surgery. We are now trying to find out if its still in the bone.. anyone else been thru this because I didnt expect the 3 months of IV not to work...??? Thanks
I had 2 weeks in hospital and a total of 18 weeks on vank. Do you have a pict line or a port-a-cath? i have a port o that part was pretty easy. i understand it as once you get staph you always have it in your body. It just isn't always life-threatening or painful. i swear that was the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Epidemiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 77 more hepatitis cases may trace to clinic, of... (May '08) Mar '16 Jarvis 5
Good review material Mar '16 Bio-stats 1
News Young African Americans, Hispanics fare worse w... Jan '16 Carl 1
Need help on these questions. Any one? Jan '16 Jollyx89 1
News EXCLUSIVE: Syrian Refugees Bring Flesh-Eating D... Jan '16 solidarity 1
Getting into epidemiology? Dec '15 froa98 1
How many people at risk from HIV in this example (Nov '15) Nov '15 Twa13 1
More from around the web