Vitamins, genetic trait linked to aut...

Vitamins, genetic trait linked to autism risk | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 14 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 26, 2011, titled Vitamins, genetic trait linked to autism risk | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Women who reported not taking prenatal vitamins immediately before and during a pregnancy were twice as likely to have a child with autism, researchers at the University of California, Davis, reported yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Backwards

Columbus, OH

#1 May 26, 2011
The headline is backwards. It gives the exactly opposite (and wrong) impression. Should be "Mothers' vitamins lower autism risk" or "Lack of vitamins linked to autism risk" or something similar. Important because many people just skim the headlines.
sayitaintso

Columbus, OH

#2 May 26, 2011
It is total BS anyway so it doesn't really matter what the headline says. What a crap article. It might as well say - we still don't know what causes autism or how to prevent it but let's get women to take probably unnecessary prenatal vitamins before they even know they are pregnant. Oh, and btw here are 2 genes that may be associated with autism.
CrankynUA

Dublin, OH

#3 May 26, 2011
This is total crap. Women have been having babies for thousands of years without pre-natal vitamins. The spike in autism the last 20 years has to be linked to heavy metal poisoning. (i.e. VACCINES)
Marvin Glep

Naperville, IL

#4 May 26, 2011
sayitaintso wrote:
It is total BS anyway so it doesn't really matter what the headline says. What a crap article. It might as well say - we still don't know what causes autism or how to prevent it but let's get women to take probably unnecessary prenatal vitamins before they even know they are pregnant. Oh, and btw here are 2 genes that may be associated with autism.
OK, "it ain't so." Where might one find this "research?" What I've been able to find implies that there is some kind of external trigger required. If not, why the increase in expression of the gene(s)(if that has anything to do with it at all) in the last several decades? Strongly implies that environmental factors involved.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#5 May 26, 2011
CrankynUA wrote:
This is total crap. Women have been having babies for thousands of years without pre-natal vitamins. The spike in autism the last 20 years has to be linked to heavy metal poisoning.(i.e. VACCINES)
Many diseases and conditions are linked to multiple factors. It is often the case that the factors combine to cross a threshold of vulnerability. It is also true that much research provides only bits of a total picture.

If the incidence of autism can be impacted by taking prenatal vitamins when one is trying to get pregnant (something that is advised anyway), this is important to know--as is isolating a gene that is linked.

But, when you start talking about "total crap," how about your assertion that the spike in autism HAS to be linked to vaccines. To date there is no evidence to substantiate this, and in fact I believe that there is evidence to the contrary. If the rate and type of vaccinations were the only environmental factor to have changed at all in the last several decades, perhaps you would have a stronger case. But, there are countless environmental factors--and the process of isolating the most likely one by one is a long and tedious one.
Mom

Westerville, OH

#6 May 26, 2011
Here we go again, blaming the mother for autism.

Well I will agree that mothers are nutrient deficient. The way food is mass produced in this country has depleted food of it's natural nutrients that were there in the past, plus additional chemical additives (preservatives, coloring, flavoring, msg, etc.) has had a negative impact on people as well. In addition a high number of women are vitamin D deficient because they do not get enough sunshine. So maybe there is something to this.

I really believe environmental contaminants are more likely--plastics & other disruptive hormones, outgasing from synthetic construction materials, mercury emissions, other chemicals in the environment--it all impacts our bodies.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#7 May 26, 2011
Mom wrote:
Here we go again, blaming the mother for autism.
Well I will agree that mothers are nutrient deficient. The way food is mass produced in this country has depleted food of it's natural nutrients that were there in the past, plus additional chemical additives (preservatives, coloring, flavoring, msg, etc.) has had a negative impact on people as well. In addition a high number of women are vitamin D deficient because they do not get enough sunshine. So maybe there is something to this.
I really believe environmental contaminants are more likely--plastics & other disruptive hormones, outgasing from synthetic construction materials, mercury emissions, other chemicals in the environment--it all impacts our bodies.
I don't know that the findings so much "blame the mother" for autism as point out something that mothers can do to diminish the odds of something we don't yet fully understand.
Put down the pills

Blacklick, OH

#8 May 26, 2011
All pills and supplements are toxic and foreign to your body. Once ingested your body works like h-e-l-l to purge them. Some of the residue remains in your body causing all kinds of diseases. Put down the pills.
Bob

Blacklick, OH

#9 May 26, 2011
Get off the drugs (including prescriptions) people, and your kids won't get all these birth defects.
Skeptical Chemist

Grove City, OH

#10 May 26, 2011
"Women who reported" gives off the fact that this is an epidemiological study which in and of itself cannot prove causation. Third variable may be association of vitamin use and general health consciousness or wealth. Similarly, gene-risk associations do not necessarily make screening for the sequence a useful diagnostic test.

I general, one should be wary of the autism bandwagon. To this day, there is no physiological explanation for autism that can hold up to commonly accepted standards of proof. Nor is there any action that one can take that is shown to prevent it. There are many confounding factors that tie into the dramatic increase in autism diagnoses in the past 20 years, including increased awareness amongst physicians and the general public and changing notions about what it means to be autistic (move from seeing it a severe disorder affecting to few to a relatively common "spectrum" of conditions that ranges from relatively normal behavior to severe impairment), as well as overt campaigns to publicize the disorder.
Marvin Glep

Naperville, IL

#11 May 26, 2011
Put down the pills wrote:
All pills and supplements are toxic and foreign to your body. Once ingested your body works like h-e-l-l to purge them. Some of the residue remains in your body causing all kinds of diseases. Put down the pills.
Clearly, you are a complete numbskull. Get facts before spewing utter drivel. About supplements you are obviously an utter ignoramus.
El Grego

United States

#12 May 26, 2011
What if you eat right and get enough vitamins in your food instead of eating junk food?
El Grego

United States

#13 May 26, 2011
Marvin Glep wrote:
<quoted text>Clearly, you are a complete numbskull. Get facts before spewing utter drivel. About supplements you are obviously an utter ignoramus.
You have more utters than a cow.
Autism

Zanesville, OH

#14 May 27, 2011
Just another word for 'tard.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Epidemiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 77 more hepatitis cases may trace to clinic, of... (May '08) Mar '16 Jarvis 5
Good review material Mar '16 Bio-stats 1
News Young African Americans, Hispanics fare worse w... Jan '16 Carl 1
Need help on these questions. Any one? Jan '16 Jollyx89 1
News EXCLUSIVE: Syrian Refugees Bring Flesh-Eating D... Jan '16 solidarity 1
Getting into epidemiology? Dec '15 froa98 1
How many people at risk from HIV in this example (Nov '15) Nov '15 Twa13 1
More from around the web