young male...low testosterone/growth ...

young male...low testosterone/growth hormone? help!

Posted in the Endocrinology Forum

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#1 Jan 17, 2009
Okay so I'm an 18 year old male, but I have some childish and/or feminine physical features, like shrunken small upper body (rib cage, chest) and wider than normal hip bones ( really low .75-.80 waist-to-hip ratio for male), lower body fat concentration, really emaciated/skinny, not very tall, and little facial or body hair. I think one cause of this might be that mother raised me without enough food and with a lot of soy milk and tofu all through childhood and puberty. I've read it somewhere and heard in that presentation you did that the high estrogen content of soy can interfere with hormonal development, so I'm guessing that's the main culprit, as well as unfortunate genetics, lack of exercise, and slightly off fetal development. As far as I know, I do have normal genitalia, though somewhat below average size, and no sign of female nipples or breasts. I think I might have had or still have low testosterone and low growth hormone levels.
But still I feel like I need to do something because I can hardly face the world with my non-masculine body, it's embarrassing, uncomfortable, and some people don't accept me. I was made fun of a lot, laughed at, and not respected or taken seriously at all in high school. Everyone thought I was "gay" and girly.
I was wondering what advice people have for me to get a more male appearance. Should I see an endocrinologist or what? Do you think hormone therapy is right for me? Growth hormone and/or androgen/testosterone or what? Also, what kind of dietary and exercise changes should I make as well as hormone and medical solutions?
I can tell more if anyone needs more information to help me diagnose and solve this problem.

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 17, 2009
I would see an endocrinologist, to find out if there is any explaination. Though when they put you on testosterone cream, it is usually intended for permanent use not to heal your hormonal system. Also, testosterone cream discourages your testies from producing testosterone theirself, so they may shrink.

It sounds like most of your issues are from lack of confidence of your appearance. There are plenty of things you can do about this. I would start lifting weight heavily, 3-5 times a week and also get and a weight gainer from GNC. This will help you to develop muscle to broaden your shoulders.

Also read about Teddy Roosevelt. He was a very bright child, but had physical problems that he had to overcome. He did this by boxing and weight lifting. He is now know as one of the toughest presidents.

Finally, if there is hope in Jesus Christ when you find despair. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11. "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Psalm 103:2

#3 Apr 5, 2011
Did Mom vaccinate the crap out of you? Do a search of mercury (thimerasol) and one for aluminum, and endocrine disruption. Look at bisphenol A too used in baby bottles. Leach when heated. Aluminum and mercury are neurotoxic brain cell killers, and can cause spontaneous genetic mutation. Endocrine disruption interferes with proper regulation of male or female hormones. Personally I suspect this vaccine side effect causes gender confusion. Its worth researching.

Since: Jun 11

Gravesend UK

#4 Jun 20, 2011
If you really do feel that your development is abnormal - visit an endocrinologist. My first reaction was "pituitary apoplexy" but there could be a dozen causes. From what you say, it sounds like you might have hypo-pituitary hypogonadism. A CT scan will soon check this out. Do you have any visual problems, like don't see things out of the corner of your eyes too easily? I also read somewhere (darn, I've lost the reference) that long term tofu use has side effects - but japanese and chinese guys eat it all the time. Maybe it's different for western genes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Endocrinology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can a endocrinologist help me with constant bod... (Sep '10) Sat Richard 45
News Cagayan de Oro Medical Center's Ob-Gyne: A comp... (Jun '08) Oct 19 Honeylet 16
Do I need an Endocrinologist or someone else? (Jun '06) Oct 9 Smellycat 21
Children, adults and parents of children with C... Aug '16 emma1015 1
about beard and moustache (Apr '07) Jun '16 kapil 245
SARMs instead of testosterone injections Jun '16 Jayso 1
growth velocity Apr '16 birman 1
More from around the web