Why Thyroid Patients are Organizing a...

Why Thyroid Patients are Organizing and Agitating

There are 3 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Aug 5, 2013, titled Why Thyroid Patients are Organizing and Agitating. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

Some people with hypothyroidism, or underactive thyroid glands, are organizing and agitating.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

Ernst

UK

#1 Sep 25, 2013
Why does a medication intended to sort out under active thyroid,(Levothyroxine) increase weight instead of lessening it?
Myowndoc

Edwardsville, IL

#2 Oct 5, 2013
Because the doctors suck. They do not test correctly and often times they give to much of the drug to help the person. They create more problems in trying to fix what they don't even know how to fix. Be very active about watching how your body reacts to the drugs the doc gives you. Ask questions get second opinions when the doctor is being a ass and acting like he knows your body better then you do. Believe it or not you can begin to almost know what tsh level you role good with. And learn to detect the slightest change in the tsh level by certain symptoms. Never just settle for anything. If your gaining lots of weight. First watch what you eat first and then if you still are gaining then sh*t you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out it's the pills. Tell that doctor that and keep telling him/her. Then you realize if your going to get better you are going to have to pay attention to the clues in your body they do not lie.
John weston

Cardiff, UK

#3 Jan 8, 2014
Re: weight gain. After a partial thyroidectomy in 1973 I was prescribed 400 mcg of thyroxine. Apart from two iodine uptake tests in the two years following the operation I was prescribed the same 400 mcg for the next 40 years. The average GP has little or no understanding of the vital importance of proper thyroid function and they have only 6 minutes per patient. Consequently they simply check the notes and continue the dosage. At the time of the operation I weighed 10st 8lbs. 10 years ago I weighed in at 18 stone and I'm now diabetic. I discovered too late that thyroxine is an appetite stimulant and although I was never a 'binge' eater I usually felt hungry and ate accordingly. I have yet to meet a doctor who understands the mood swings, the 'acid' and 'alkali' days and the energy fluctuations of a faulty thyroid.
My thyroid (what's left of it) and I are old friends and my wife has learned to live with it. Problem is, there are no outward signs of the illness so there is no sympathy and the medical profession has more important things to take care of.
My advice to new sufferers? Learn everything you can about your thyroid and explain it to your family. Finally, insist on regular checks and proper thyroxine dosage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Endocrinology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tetany caused by hyperglycemia? 3 hr cjlopr 1
Can a endocrinologist help me with constant bod... (Sep '10) Jun '15 kimkim15 28
News Treatment options vastly improved for Type 1 pa... (Apr '11) Jun '15 Bernard Farrell 17
i have high prolactin help May '15 lindseylagoy2 1
about beard and moustache (Apr '07) Mar '15 sahil 242
Sustanon 250 for Less beard growth - doctor ha... (Dec '06) Mar '15 rahul 122
News Secondhand smoke can cause weight gain (Nov '14) Feb '15 jeanrose770 14
More from around the web