Tadpole12

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Oct 28, 2012
I am done with ACEP. It has gone past representing us as physicians in how much money they can raise for the chief executive and board.

Board President stipend is over $100K. Chief Executive Dean Wilkerson get's paid a ridiculous amount, plus get this ACEP members, you are paying for Mr. Wilkerson's 7 series BMW, membership to a top dollar dallas health club, travel for he and his wife - not just for meetings, and who knows what else.

I get that this happens at most organizations. But to see all the money that was spent on making the annual conference pretty is also ridiculous. I was also told that Mr. Wilkerson and lackey Mr. Heard are never working on our behalf, but out of the office 60% of the time.

ACEP board is also too good to have any of their meetings at HQ in Dallas. Board "retreats" are arranged so that they can be whisked away to Playa del Carmen, Hawaii (that's where they're going in November), and other lavish resorts - THIS IS WHERE OUR DUES ARE GOING!

You don't have to listen to me. But I also know that Wilkerson and his lackeys made a good run at destroying MADD before they left.

"The chapters were required to adopt standard bylaws and pay higher annual dues. Chapters that didn’t follow the rules had their charters revoked and their bank accounts taken over by their state headquarters. This new order was put in place, MADD chairman and CEO Robert L. Beck explained in 1988, because they needed to fix a “middle management problem.”

No longer a decentralized grassroots movement, the new MADD structured itself along the lines of a corporation. To keep the machine’s cogs spinning, they needed lots of grease, and they didn’t care how they got it, even if it meant using "boiler room" style companies to raise money through aggressive telemarketing. The fact that only 28% of the donations they wrung out of the public was actually going to anti-drinking and driving programs didn’t bother them in the least. They shrugged off criticism from watchdog organizations like the National Charities Information Bureau who said “... organizations should be spending 60 percent on programs and no more than what’s reasonable on fund-raising,” and the Non Profit Times, who listed MADD as one of the highest spenders on fundraising and the one of the lowest spenders on programs.

By 1998, MADD had an annual budget of $42 million. Pension plans were put in place. Salaries and benefits exceeded $9 million per year. The Frankenstein monster had kicked its creator out of the castle and had mutated into a powerful and ruthless giant, still somehow beloved by the local villagers. No longer led by volunteers, but rather salaried executives, it started approaching its goals in much the same way a corporation does. Where an idealist will go home after winning a war, a mercenary will prolong and seek out conflict, so long as he continues to get paid. But the money would only continue to roll in if the public perceived there was still a need for war, and a huge part of MADD’s budget is dedicated to keeping that perception in place."

Look up Wilkerson's bio on ACEP's site - he was with MADD during this time...

It's time to say something to our Chapter Executives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Emergency Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Extreme bleeding and clotting following turp Jan 7 Johjohjus 1
subutex8mg, oxycontin80mg and 30mg available (Jul '12) Dec '14 sidney68 2
Dallas Ebola Patient's ER Doctor Missed High Fever Dec '14 Gary 1
South Bay hospitals work to reduce emergency ro... Oct '14 Kate Smith 1
Left testical and lower stomach pain (Aug '07) Aug '14 ROHAN 37
Canadian girl, 8, trapped in Gaza while doctor ... Aug '14 other crime 1
Cannabis Saves Lives, Find Out How (Jul '14) Jul '14 Guardian Angel 1
More from around the web