Rash around my anal area.

Posted in the Dermatology Forum

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
Icebreaker3d

Opa Locka, FL

#1 Jun 25, 2006
I have had a rash like thing on the area under my genitals going up to my anal passage for around 6-8 years (I am 18 years old now). I have learned to deal with it for a long time. This is what it looks likes and what it does. It seems as though it is extremely dry because it looks like when you get a sun burn and it peels. When I scratch it white flakes fall. It sometimes gets extremely dry (the area stiffens up) and it burns. I try not to scratch it. The pain gets so unbearable that I scratch it. When I do scratch it, the rash type thing sometimes bleeds. I went to the doctors once for it. They said it was some kind of strep rash (from what I can recall. It was 4 or so years ago when I went to the doctors for it.). I am really tired of having to deal with it. What is it and how can I treat it? Thank you so much for your time.
Doesnt Matter

Gouldsboro, PA

#2 Jul 30, 2006
I have a solution.... get some steroid cream from your doctor. This takes the redness and irritation away. I would only use it about every other day and apply a thin coat of it. Avoid getting inside your rectum.. only on the skin (crack). It will take about a week or two.
Zoox

Clanton, AL

#3 Jan 15, 2007
It sounds like you have a skin infection of some sort. I would go see a good dermatologist about it.

The following can help with anal rashes, but I'm not sure it applies to your problem.

The problems I had with anal rash in the past were caused by not getting all the fecal material removed from the anal area after I had a bowel movement.

What I have found is that cleanliness is the best treatment for anal rash problems. This means much more than just doing a good job of cleaning the anal area when taking a shower.

1. First, many people, including myself, have quite a bit of hair growing around the anal area. It is almost impossible to clean the fecal debri left after a bowel movement out of this hair. The solution is to get someone (my wife does it for me) to trim the hair after a shower. My wife uses electric hair trimmers and is, of course, very careful. You will get some slight itchyness for a few days following this as the trimmed hair starts to grow back in, but this quickly goes away.

2. When you have a bowel movement, first wipe yourself with dry toilet paper to remove most of the fecal debri. Then clean yourself well by using folded toilet paper (at least 4 layers of double ply) moistened with tap water. Wipe and re-wipe until there is no brown material left on the paper. Then dry yourself.- NOTE!- DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH WIPING YOU DO, YOU MAY HAVE TO FLUSH THE TOILET 0NE OR MORE TIMES DURING THE PROCESS SO YOU DON'T PLUG IT UP.

3. On trips or at work where tap water to moisten the toilet paper may not be easily available, I use the moist wipes you can now buy in most grocery stores to do the cleaning job. I do not use these all the time because, at least in my case, they sometimes cause there own rash problems. For me, using them once a day at work works out OK.

So, for me, trimming the anal hair and keeping clean work much much better than any cream or treatment the doctor has recommended.
b_Chicago

Chicago, IL

#4 May 14, 2007
Hey Ice...
You might check to see if you are Gluten Intolerant. I have the exact thing as you do, and I believe it has to do with the allergies. You may have developed a yeast infection in the area. Try to stay off of gluten products for a week, if you notice an improvement, then go see if you are gluten intolerant. It is a simple blood test to find out.
good luck.
K_Virginia

Germantown, MD

#5 Jun 1, 2007
I often have the problem Ice has but in the anal area. I use the method Zoox outlined when cleaning but still seem to get little cuts in the anal area when I pass a hard stool. I've gone to the doctor for it and they either tell me it's a yeast infection or a fungal infection and give me a cream, bt it always comes back. Could I really be getting an infection every few months and if so, how? I am confident I am practicing great hygiene and the doctors are no help. I am nervouse because my dad had this problem but died of colon cancer and I am so afraid.
LadyTiana

Tucson, AZ

#6 Jul 26, 2007
Steroid cream is a bad idea if there are any abrasions.

Also, using it very much can cause the skin to thin. That is an area where you don't want that to happen. ;-:
mike

Encinitas, CA

#7 Aug 8, 2007
Icebreaker3d wrote:
I have had a rash like thing on the area under my genitals going up to my anal passage for around 6-8 years (I am 18 years old now). I have learned to deal with it for a long time. This is what it looks likes and what it does. It seems as though it is extremely dry because it looks like when you get a sun burn and it peels. When I scratch it white flakes fall. It sometimes gets extremely dry (the area stiffens up) and it burns. I try not to scratch it. The pain gets so unbearable that I scratch it. When I do scratch it, the rash type thing sometimes bleeds. I went to the doctors once for it. They said it was some kind of strep rash (from what I can recall. It was 4 or so years ago when I went to the doctors for it.). I am really tired of having to deal with it. What is it and how can I treat it? Thank you so much for your time.
none
mike

Encinitas, CA

#8 Aug 8, 2007
i might have the same problem.
it hurts bad

Shreveport, LA

#9 Aug 14, 2007
i hadnt used the bathroom for number two in a few days, then all of the sudden i have to go and it's thinner turds than usual, and a lot more of them too. i have to go use the br every few hours and i went to see a movie and when i came walking out it hurt worse than ever. i looked in the mirror and it looks haggard, i put some hydrocortizone on it. it's easier to walk now but it still hurts. what should i do? i will not go to a doctor, i just cannot afford it.
Lee -NW USA

Portland, OR

#10 Aug 16, 2007
My wife and son have delt with this. It can be stubborn so you may need a second round of treatment. You should go to the doctor and have them run a swab test for yeast (candida) and strep. If strep is positive, they will most likely treat with amoxiclllian or with penicillian. They may also give you a steroid/antifungal cream to apply for about a week (2 to 3 times a day).
I don't think the problem will resolve without medicine.
This goes beyond excellent hygiene issues. The burning, itching and even the bright red blood can be frustrating.
Go get the problem examined and resolved.
mike

Bronx, NY

#11 Sep 23, 2007
I am having the same problem in my anal area the past yr I keep getting a big red rash around the area and its stubborn to go away i used cortisone from the doctor did not work used neosporine and it made it all go away then it came back again how do i get rid of it once and for all I had a herpes test done and it was negative. Help
R_nyc

New York, NY

#12 Sep 30, 2007
I'm running into the same issue - I have raw/redness around my anus and when I scrub or use a fingernail to gently scratch between my buttocks, I get what looks like dry skin sloughing off after it get wet.

The skin between my buttocks also easily splits and oozes blood when I stretch my buttocks apart.

I've tried several types of cortisone creams, which help for a short time, but it's not a long-term solution.

I've also tried anti-fungal and gentamiacen (sp?) combinations, which didn't help for very long either.

I'm exploring food allergies and I've recently been reading more about gluten/ food allergies - if anyone could provide additional info about food allergies, that would be helpful.
abc

Cordova, TN

#13 Oct 6, 2007
Teach me how to clean anal after pooping...I am used to with islamic culture.
SSCA

United States

#14 Nov 28, 2007
I have anal itching and burning for a long time. I went to see a dermatologist and he prescribed me the Analpram HC cream 1%. I used it for a month and everything was gone. But when I stopped to use it, the symptoms occurred again. It couldn't be gone forever. Right now, it is cracking and itching. Sometimes, when I wipe my ass, it is bleeding also. Please give me some advises because I suffer from this symptom for a long time. BTW, I did everything that the doctor told me to do but it is still bad. Thanks.
4b5b6b

Lloydminster, Canada

#15 Feb 7, 2008
Have had the same problem for approx 8 years. Have tried everything and this seems to help
with the rash.
100% Pure Emu oil. It is anti bacterial and contains Omega 3-5-9 which is healing.
4b5b6b

Lloydminster, Canada

#16 Feb 7, 2008
Have had the same problem for approx 8 years. Have tried everything and this seems to help
with the rash.
100% Pure Emu oil. It is anti bacterial and contains Omega 3-6-9 which is healing.
nevb

North Sydney, Australia

#18 Feb 15, 2008
i too have had this rash for many years and at the moment it is worse than EVER before. i've had itchy bum for many years, and used to get hemoroids all the time. had an emergency operation for growth or hemoroid in 92 which seemed to ease for a year or two but has been getting excessively bad last 6 months like never before. i've tried anti fungal, steroid, vaseline, soap, no soap, douching, rinsing with a shower (hard if you need to go at work).i'd be very keen for help as i feel like i'm going mad with itchyness sometimes
r_nyc

New York, NY

#19 Mar 1, 2008
I got some advice after going to several dermatologists who couldn't figure what I had out. The most recent is that it is linked to childhood eczema. He recommended using Vaseline or a greasy creme such as Aquaphor to use often in the area. After using the bathroom, put Vaseline on the toilet paper and dab, not wipe, as that could inflame the skin. He also mentioned don't use lotions for my skin, only cremes (i.e. anything out of tubes or tubs - not bottles). I didn't have a food allergy.

I've been on this for about a month and have had some relief. I'm not completely healed, but certainly not as uncomfortable as before. It has definitely helped relieve the splitting skin between my buttock cheeks that used to split and bleed if a stretched the skin too much.
r_nyc

New York, NY

#20 Mar 2, 2008
mike wrote:
<quoted text>none
I've had a similar issue. There seems to be buildup of excess skin flaking off even though that area is moist from sweating, etc. My derm mentioned that once the friction from walking, etc in that area starts, it's almost like constantly pulling a scab off. The new skin is rubbed off as its produced.
Keeping the area lubed with Vaseline has helped me in this regard, and it has helped over the past month.
r_nyc

New York, NY

#21 Mar 2, 2008
I've tried Analpram (and a bunch of other cortisone creams) and have the same issue. It relieves the immediate severe symptoms, but they come back a couple weeks later. As simple as it is, the constant Vaseline program seems to have been the most helpful solution I've tried.
SSCA wrote:
I have anal itching and burning for a long time. I went to see a dermatologist and he prescribed me the Analpram HC cream 1%. I used it for a month and everything was gone. But when I stopped to use it, the symptoms occurred again. It couldn't be gone forever. Right now, it is cracking and itching. Sometimes, when I wipe my ass, it is bleeding also. Please give me some advises because I suffer from this symptom for a long time. BTW, I did everything that the doctor told me to do but it is still bad. Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) 12 hr asiah 457
Small pink bumps appearing on arms/legs that it... (Oct '09) 15 hr Originalblonde 315
I need your help! - red blisters/wart like hard... 16 hr Jack 1
Pleva? Is there ever going to be a cure???? (May '09) 16 hr Jolie Moyer 107
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) 17 hr Jack 389
rash on face associated with menstrual cycle (Mar '10) Mon Joycee 134
News Hale encourages to 'live like you were dying' Sun hateher 1
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Jul 1 nickandre 1,678
Zits with a hard white mass. (and I mean hard) (Apr '07) Jun 29 DoctorZed 125
More from around the web