pinky

Thrissur, India

#104 Feb 26, 2010
i have been suffering from peeling since 2yrs due to the side-effect of a pimple tablet ocotret-20.i have used it for 6 months.docter said that lips get peeled while using this tablet but wil get rid off this after stopping it,but my lips continued peeling after stopping this.my lips turns white when it get wet.if i peel it off it again get thicker and thicker.plz help me i a teenage.i am ashammed of public due to this.i consulted many docters.they say to vitamin tablets.but it dont help me.plz get me some solutions.
Daniel

São Bernardo Do Campo, Brazil

#105 Mar 7, 2010
I have this problem since i was a kid. Been suffering from it for more than 10 years, even suicide solution crossed my mind. I'm really happy to read that other ppl had the same problem and got it fixed, if anyone care enough to tell me which of those treatments should i really try (since its a 4years thread, a lot has changed). I have the endless full peeling on my lower lip every 2-3 days, and i can't live with this anymore. I got no job cuz i don't wanna go out every day, i quit college and i missed lots of opportunities on my life already. please someone reply with successfull treatments/medicines/anything! !
Susan

Foxboro, MA

#106 Mar 11, 2010
I have suffered with peeling lips and chapped skin under my lips for years and years and I found a simple solution. I spent so many years applying things that sat ON TOP OF my lips/skin (every lip balm in the world) that it finally dawned on me that I needed a moisturizer (something that actually soaked into the skin). So, IMMEDIATELY when I get out of the shower (water and drying seems to be the enemy), I apply Eucerin (for dry cracked skin) to my lip and under my lip and I do this a few times within 10 - 15 minutes or so. A few times a day I continue to put Aquaphor on my lips but that's it (don't over do it and only on the lips)-- the lips need to heal and keeping them too moist is not good. I tried everything that was suggested on this website for the last few years and this is the only thing that has worked (for me). I know this sounds too simple but try it.... I hope it works for you too!!
Miran

Munster, IN

#107 Mar 29, 2010
Hey guys, I've had that problem for 3 years or so. Every time I'd go to water, or play flute my skin would come off. Recently it became worse as i started to use BLISTEX and my lips were VERY delicate, sticky to the point i could damage the skin just by putting my upper and lower lip together, and even if I did go without biting it off, after 3 days it would come off during brushing my teeth. And they were really sore too, sun seemed to make it even worse.

Well....right now it's my 5th day and the peeling is easing. I've bought an ointment in my polish pharmacy called ALANTAN by Unia. It's for skin burns, hard to heal wounds, flaking, some skin conditions etc. it was 7$. The other ointment I heard of is an Australian brand called lucas' papaw ointment and heard from my friend it healed his condition in 4 days.

Hope it helps you as well.

Since: Mar 09

Spokane, WA

#108 Apr 12, 2010
Susan wrote:
I have suffered with peeling lips and chapped skin under my lips for years and years and I found a simple solution. I spent so many years applying things that sat ON TOP OF my lips/skin (every lip balm in the world) that it finally dawned on me that I needed a moisturizer (something that actually soaked into the skin). So, IMMEDIATELY when I get out of the shower (water and drying seems to be the enemy), I apply Eucerin (for dry cracked skin) to my lip and under my lip and I do this a few times within 10 - 15 minutes or so. A few times a day I continue to put Aquaphor on my lips but that's it (don't over do it and only on the lips)-- the lips need to heal and keeping them too moist is not good. I tried everything that was suggested on this website for the last few years and this is the only thing that has worked (for me). I know this sounds too simple but try it.... I hope it works for you too!!
Susan: Eucerin makes several versions. Which particular one did you use? Thanks, Larry.
Jenny in UAE

UAE

#109 Jul 27, 2010
i am experiencing this peeling, cracking lips, my lips lid are getting darken, i tried all the lip balms here in Dubai but it is not working, i am taking vitamins every other day but i dnt know the problem, my lips are getting worse ...
jhezzielicious

Pasong Tamo, Philippines

#110 Aug 18, 2010
LIKE EVERYONE OF YOU.. I AM ALSO SUFFERING FROM DRY,CHAPPED,CRACKED AND PERSISTING PEELING OF LIPS FOR ALMOST 5YRS NOW.. BUT I AM NOT LOSING HOPE.. WE SHOULD CONTINUE HOPING OF BEING CURED FOR WHEN YOU RUN OUT OF HOPE, YOUR CONDITION WILL ONLY WORSEN.. ITS GOOD TO HAVE YOUR LOVE ONES SUPPORT YOU AND LOVE YOU DESPITE OF YOUR HORRIBLE LOOKING LIPS.. IT WILL DETERMINE WHO LOVES YOU TRULY AT YOUR WORST.. INSTEAD OF BEING DEPRESSED BECAUSE OF OUR CONDITION, WE SHOULD STILL BE THANKFUL TO GOD FOR THERE IS A LOT OF CONDITION WORSE THAN US.. LOOK AT THE BRIGHTER SIDE OF LIFE AND CONTINUE FINDING THE CURE.. WE ARE NOT A PAIR OF LIPS.. WE ARE HUMANS.. WE CAN STILL LIVE OUR LIFE DESPITE OF IT.. ACCEPTANCE IS THE FIRST STEP TO CURE IT.. LEARNING TO ACCEPT THE CONDITION AND DON'T STRESS OUT YOUR SELF WILL HELP YOU A LOT..
Suzette

Tampa, FL

#111 Aug 19, 2010
My daughter orders Chop Saver and says it helps somewhat. Dosen't solve the problem, but makes it feel better.
http://www.chopsaver.com/

I guess if that Grape Seed extract comes only in a liquid form, buy a little spray bottle and pour it in there and use it as a spray. Don't know if it would have to be mixed with some purified water or not tho. How thick is that liquid? Trial and error, I guess.
Taking Grape Seed extract pills internally might help the situation from the inside out.
I personally think Vaseline makes a barrier that keeps oxygen out, which wouldn't be all that great if used too heavy or too often. Just my opinion & I'm no Dr.
If it were me, I'd see a licensed nutritionist to find out the amounts of various foods and vitamins/minerals/herbs I'd need for my particular situation. Heck, I'd try acupuncture if I thought it would help!
Sounds like the key is to find out why new skin keeps coming forth and going to the top layer too often. It's the dead skin on the surface you're trying to moisturize, but the new skin underneath isn't ready to appear yet.
I agree with drinking several glasses/bottles of water (or Gator Aid, if bored of plain) each day. Eat lots of fruits & veggies and stay away from anything - food or cosmetic - that bothers your lips. And try some prayers maybe too!
Tayia

Austin, TX

#112 Aug 20, 2010
Linda wrote:
I am going crazy with this peeling, dry lip problem! I think mine may have started from a side effect from using Zoloft this past summer - that is the only thng externally that I had different. I am off the Zoloft now for all of 2 months but the lips are worse. My Dr still thinks its from the Zoloft but you would think it would start getting better. He told me to use Vitamin E oil. I am so desperate to get rid of this condition I think I may over use stuff. I just started aloe - directly from the plant in my yard! It has eased the pain the most so I will try it for another week. To think of having this for years is scary.
I have had the same problem for about 1 and 1/2 yrs. I started taking a tablespoon of applecider vinegar for about a month due to the yeast in my body. I am using a vitamin E oil for the dryness and it has helped tremendous. Try not to stay out in the sun for long periods of time if you can help it because the sun seem to inflame it. Overall my face is pretty much back to normal. Thank you Jesus!!!!!!!
Theresa

Colorado Springs, CO

#113 Aug 21, 2010
I found something that really works for me. It's called Scar Zone. It was in the Band-Aid section at Wal-Mart and cost about $10 for the 1.25-ounce tube of cream. The active ingredients listed are octinoxate 7.5% (a chemical sunscreen agent), zinc oxide 3.93%, and dimethicone (silicone) 4%. Within hours after I put it on for the first time my lips started peeling. They were normal by the end of the day, and I'm now at day three of my lips remaining normal. I still can't believe it. I don't know how it works, but it does. I put it on after I eat and at bedtime. It wasn't made to put on your lips, so it's dry, and I prefer to put ChapStick over it.
Deborah

Chicago, IL

#114 Sep 28, 2010
Lisa wrote:
I am also experiencing dry, peeling, fissured lips for the past 2 months. I have seen a dermatologist for it and her gave me a mild steroid ointment, and zinc oxide. Neither are working. I am at my wits end with this. The derm. is working me up for Sjogrens syndrome. This is a disease that causes drying of the mucous glands. Anyone else have this? I have used multiple OTC lip balms and nothing works. I take a multi vitamin with iron and no aother meds.My lips are sore, peeling, inflammed. Any one have some advice on this, or are experiencing the same thing??
My bottom lip (only) peeled and had sores that wouldn't heal for 3 1/2 months.The dermatologist prescribed steroid cream. It made no change. I saw him 3 eeks later wit no change and he told me "it was an allergy and to put nothing on my lips" Again...no change. I had read something about the possibility of yeast on the lips. He finally prescribed a yeast cream..AND THE LIP CLEARED UP AFTER 48 HOURS AND NEVER CAME BACK!!!!!!! Th´sores were on the bottom lip where the lips touch....a warm moist environment for yeast. It started during especially warm weather where I was outside quite a bit. THE YEAST CREAM WORKS!!!
Deborah

Chicago, IL

#115 Sep 28, 2010
My bottom lip (only) peeled and had sores that wouldn't heal for 3 1/2 months.The dermatologist prescribed steroid cream. It made no change. I saw him 3 eeks later wit no change and he told me "it was an allergy and to put nothing on my lips" Again...no change. I had read something about the possibility of yeast on the lips. He finally prescribed a yeast cream..AND THE LIP CLEARED UP AFTER 48 HOURS AND NEVER CAME BACK!!!!!!! Th´sores were on the bottom lip where the lips touch....a warm moist environment for yeast. It started during especially warm weather where I was outside quite a bit. THE YEAST CREAM WORKS!!!
maria

Auburn, WA

#116 Dec 28, 2010
I have the same problem and also do think is from zoloft I been on it for a year and saw my problem of my lips getting worst I tried everything and see no results yet I'm desparete for help I don't know what else to use I have alo try expensive lip balms they made no progress help plez.
Theresa

Colorado Springs, CO

#117 Dec 28, 2010
You may be allergic to titanium dioxide. Try eliminating it from what you use. It won't be easy--it's in everything.
Finally an answer

Durham, NC

#118 Jan 1, 2011
For me, it turned out to be an allergy to Benzoyl Peroxide which I had used with no problems for years. After stopping all Benzoyl Peroxide products, the pelling/chelitis went away and has never returned since. Hope this helps someone.
mary Carlton

Suffolk, VA

#119 Feb 15, 2011
jhezzielicious wrote:
LIKE EVERYONE OF YOU.. I AM ALSO SUFFERING FROM DRY,CHAPPED,CRACKED AND PERSISTING PEELING OF LIPS FOR ALMOST 5YRS NOW.. BUT I AM NOT LOSING HOPE.. WE SHOULD CONTINUE HOPING OF BEING CURED FOR WHEN YOU RUN OUT OF HOPE, YOUR CONDITION WILL ONLY WORSEN.. ITS GOOD TO HAVE YOUR LOVE ONES SUPPORT YOU AND LOVE YOU DESPITE OF YOUR HORRIBLE LOOKING LIPS.. IT WILL DETERMINE WHO LOVES YOU TRULY AT YOUR WORST.. INSTEAD OF BEING DEPRESSED BECAUSE OF OUR CONDITION, WE SHOULD STILL BE THANKFUL TO GOD FOR THERE IS A LOT OF CONDITION WORSE THAN US.. LOOK AT THE BRIGHTER SIDE OF LIFE AND CONTINUE FINDING THE CURE.. WE ARE NOT A PAIR OF LIPS.. WE ARE HUMANS.. WE CAN STILL LIVE OUR LIFE DESPITE OF IT.. ACCEPTANCE IS THE FIRST STEP TO CURE IT.. LEARNING TO ACCEPT THE CONDITION AND DON'T STRESS OUT YOUR SELF WILL HELP YOU A LOT..
Really love your attitude!
Nick

Nashville, TN

#120 Feb 15, 2011
I too have suffered from cracked an peeling lips for nearly 5 years. I had tried everything including swapping every product I used regularly, conducted a year long dietary change and health nutrition course and several yeast clenses, adding yeast killers to my diet. All of which are absoulety amazing for my body, but the cracked lips remained although better because of membrane support suppliments like OMEGA-7.

With all this said I had concluded that something else must be wrong, until on day my brother came to spend two weeks with me. Towards the end of the first week his lips started to peel as well. He had never had a problem until now, and we knew it was something we both had used. This pointed me back to the web and another search marathon found a site with a women discussing the same type of simptoms and she said she FOUND THE ANSWER! She stopped using automattic dishwashing soap and started using plastic utensils and straws with her glasses and the cracked lilps cleared up in 48-72 hours.

The issue was a compound used in dishwashing detergent called Protease. Protease helps break down proteins on the dishes and aids in the cleaning process. Glasses mostly will have a thin residue of protease on the edges and outside of where your lips normally are. This pattern matches the dry patches that would peel every other day and sometimes worse.

I have spent the last 2 weeks adjusting to avoiding protease in every instance that I can and no more cracked lips. No more white film when drinking water or drinks, no more embarrassment beond imagination. I have found that avoiding protease on dishes is not easy and when you eat out if they give you a glass, use a straw, or -re-wash it.

I will followup in another couple weeks if everything has continued as it has, but the excitement I have over FINALLY finding the solution has me wanting to scream from the mountain tops.
MtL-Homegrown

Pierrefonds, Canada

#121 Feb 17, 2011
Hey guys, peeling lips which don't heal and peel in a continuous cycle is called exfoliative cheilitis.

I've cured myself of the problem and I made a huge blog post to outline the diet and lifestyle you should follow if you want to heal your lips:

http://exfoliativecheilitishelp.com

Hope it helps some of you, the condition sucks I know first hand..

Cheers,

-MtL-Homegrown
Nathaly Key

Beirut, Lebanon

#122 Feb 28, 2011
my lips don't stoop peeling for like 3 years from now it's really bothering and ugly and it feels like you have a numb skin on your lips, I went to many doctors they did not help :( what am I supposed to doo ?!!

Since: Apr 11

Europe

#123 Apr 24, 2011
hi pinky,
I am dr swapnil. I am sure I can help u. contact me
curencare111 at gmail dotcom
also I need ur help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) 24 min ycoats 450
Dry, red, itchy skin around nose (Sep '06) 1 hr tanyabrown 1,592
Circular, Dime sized, Facial Hair loss (Sep '06) 1 hr Dave M 1,998
[Pictures] A lot of red bumps on back. No idea ... 2 hr ThrowawayPancake 2
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) 2 hr fitfreak 1,663
Bump on nose (Dec '06) 4 hr buffster 770
Tiny pustules on one foot (May '07) 9 hr Pauly 156
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) Mon Chynna 360
Small pink bumps appearing on arms/legs that it... (Oct '09) May 4 Susan 291
Small clear callous-like bumps on hand and finger (Jan '07) May 3 tijina 662
More from around the web