Tanning beds have new title: cancer c...

Tanning beds have new title: cancer causer

There are 11 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 28, 2009, titled Tanning beds have new title: cancer causer. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

International cancer experts have added ultraviolet tanning beds to their highest-risk group, a category of carcinogens that includes plutonium, asbestos and radiation from the sun.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Mud Mamzerman

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jul 28, 2009
What a joke. It's a proven carcinogen but the do-gooder liberals that like to outlaw everything are inside getting their tan. Ted Kennedy liked tanning salons, and look at how cancerous his rotted brain is now. He will rot for eternity for Mary Jo Kopechne. Just sayin'.
nonsense

Columbus, OH

#2 Jul 28, 2009
Most people who go to tanning beds are conservative sorority/fraternity college kids, not liberals, Mud.
Native Alien

Marion, OH

#3 Jul 28, 2009
So how soon are they banning tanning beds?

Because we don't know how far those rays are traveling and they could be giving me second hand exposure and I surely don't want that.

Not to mention the amount of exposure of the people that are working around them.
Rick

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 29, 2009
Mud Mamzerman wrote:
What a joke. It's a proven carcinogen but the do-gooder liberals that like to outlaw everything are inside getting their tan. Ted Kennedy liked tanning salons, and look at how cancerous his rotted brain is now. He will rot for eternity for Mary Jo Kopechne. Just sayin'.
Okay, just make this into something it isn't. And by the way, Ted Kennedy has killed the same number of people in his car as Lora Bush did. I guess that was some liberals fault too, right???
Steven K Galson MD

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 29, 2009
Breathing air causes cancer.
Matt Osowski

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 29, 2009
Anybody who finishes their statement with "just sayin' " is a frickin retard.
Jay

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 29, 2009
Being alive causes cancer anymore. At least according to who you listen to, anything and everything will kill you. If it's good for you this year, give it a few years and something will come out about how bad it is for you now blah blah.

“Come into my Parlour”

Since: Jul 09

Santiago, Chile

#9 Jul 29, 2009
Mud Mamzerman wrote:
Radiation can kill
Summer_Kelley

Columbus, OH

#10 Jul 29, 2009
These vain girls will continue to stupidly use tanning beds, despite all the risk involved. It's a lot like how despite the proven dangers of cigarettes, young people continue to pick up the nasty habit. In 50 years, they'll realize that as they're undergoing chemo that it wasn't worth it. We'll see how beautiful their sunny tans are when they have massive chunks cut off their faces.
Tanning Salon Owner

Springboro, OH

#11 Jul 29, 2009
I currently own a tanning salon that offers both tanning beds and airbrush tanning. After reading your article, I believe that key facts and information have been left out. Was the 15 year old girl using tanning beds? Was she laying out in the sun? Did skin cancer run in her families genetics. These are all important questions, and need to be reported on.
From my perspective, I see many people who come in on a doctors recommendation to help clear up psoriasis, acne, and to help with their seasonal depression. I think your article is highly biased and one sided.
As for the new proposal, you are taking away the parents right to decide what is right for their child. You also failed to mention that they also want to include air brush tanning in the ban.
Jessica Melchiorre

Reynoldsburg, OH

#12 Jul 30, 2009
This kind of stuff upsets me. They fail to mention the benefits of tanning. Just like anything else in this world that is to "help us" it has good and bad that comes with it. Yes tanning beds may cause you skin cancer. But you can help to lower your chances by being smart about it. Don't tan more than twice a week, use lotions, don't get burned, only tan for so long. All of these aspects aid in the process of helping to protect your skin from skin cancer. Tanning beds are also a proven form of vitamin d that helps your teeth and bones. It helps with scoriasis(spelling) and acne. It also aids in self confidence. Who doesn't feel great after having a 15 minute relax time and leaves with great color?! Out door tanning is by far the worst and most significant cause of skin cancer. When people lay out outside they don't control there exposure time and most people end up getting burned. Skin cancer is the result of damamaged cells. Cells become damaged by sun burns, especially at young ages. Hello, come to a tanning salon and get a base tan so you dont burn when your out and about! I do agree that children under 18 should not be alowed to tan, not enough research has been done to say their bodies are ready for the amount of uv exposure they give it. I want everyone to look at any drug on the market and i mean any drug...take advil for instance..in small doses it is good it helps fix all our small problems, but in overdose it can hurt your liver. Depression medication..you can take it and help fix your depression, but be careful side effects range from headaches to heart attacks?! why do we focus so much energy on tanning? When everything we take or put in our body anymore is a cancer causer, or a disease causer. This is just my 20 cents added to this hot topic. agree or dis agree this is my opinion!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Weird bumps on my hand/finger? 4 hr Fefe333 1
Painful tiny bumps on fingers (Jul '11) 5 hr Palmy42 268
News Free skin cancer screening set Friday 8 hr Ted 1
Itchy skin and crawling on eyebrows and scalp (Mar '08) 14 hr Babykate 8
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) Sat Lorelei 486
I have a red mark in the middle of my forehead,... (Jun '12) Sat AlterZen 14
Patches of tiny, rough, skin-colored bumps (Jun '07) Sat MeyerAD 20
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) Apr 25 Ryu 510
Zits with a hard white mass. (and I mean hard) (Apr '07) Apr 24 Go to the skin do... 150
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Apr 20 Aaw 1,736
Small pink bumps appearing on arms/legs that it... (Oct '09) Apr 11 claudia 380
More from around the web