skin rash with body heat, sweating

Posted in the Dermatology Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jake

Rock Island, TN

#1 Jul 17, 2007
I am literally about ready to go insane with this. I am 38 years old. About 3 months I went to the beach. Got severely dehydrated to the point of passing out. Over the next 3 to 4 days, I drank water and electrolytes to replenish my body. But around the fifth day, I started have this skin rash that would pop up whenever my body heat started to rise. It would start under my armpits, on my stomach, and inner thighs. The only thing I could do was go back inside the house and sit in air condition until it went away. Any time I started sweating it would happen. It I continue to do what I was doing and getting hot, I would start breaking out all over my body. I could sweat for a short period of time but all of a sudden it was like my sweat glands clogged up and couldn't release any sweat. It was getting trapped under my skin causing the bubbling up of the skin. I am a very active person especially outside and this really controlling my life. I wen to the gym last night as I do every Monday to play basketball. I can play and sweat for about 45min to an hour then all of a sudden my hands begin to itch and sure enough I look at my arms and stomach and I have broken out. I keep playing because it doesn't hurt but it gets to the point that I have to stop because my entire body gets clogged and I can't sweat at all. I have to go take a cold shower everytime to get this crap to start to go away. I went to 2 doctors about it and neither really had any answers for me. From what I read, it sounds like Prickly Heat. I have had 2 steriod shots to treat it and for the past week have been taking Dermintin drops which is a guaranteed treatment for Prickly Heat (according to them) but I'm not seeing much improvement. I am not as bad as I first was with this stuff but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly what it is. I take 20mg of Cymbalta for an anxiety. Other than that, just vitamins. Apologize for the book I wrote but I have no other place to turn for answers.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
prickly heat rash

Los Angeles, CA

#2 May 13, 2008
I have the exact same problem! i am about to travel , and where i am going, the place is humid and hot. I really dont know what remedies are out there. How do i get rid of it?

i heard you can use water based lotion with oatmeal. bathe more. stay away from the heat..."shrugs"

i went to dermatologist, family doc, and asked two pharmacists. They all just said stay away from the heat and take claritin or benedryl. That really doesnt help much because they dont know when itll go away or what caused it to come
artie

Lees Summit, MO

#3 May 26, 2008
Interesting, I'm a very healthy 24 year old male and I have the same problom. I am extremly active and this makes my life horrible. It started about two years ago and doctors cant seem to help me. What do I do??????????
Linda

United States

#4 May 27, 2008
Please call your water department to see if they are using chloramine (a combination of chlorine and ammonia) as a disinfectant. Chloramine leaves a residue in clothing when it is washed and will react with the ammonia in sweat to cause intense itching.This itching can feel very prickly, like thousands of fleas biting you at the same time. The website www.chloramine.org has more information about chloramine and what you can do about it.
Jackson

United States

#5 Jun 28, 2008
I have the same problem, but what i did was get allerginic skin soap and take benydrel before i go into the sun.

Benedryl cream works the best. Just rub it to the itchy spots.
Sally

Llantwit Major, UK

#6 Jul 3, 2008
Im sick of this prickly heat stuff. I have suffered for over 20 years and all my holiday are ruined because of it. I can only spend 2-3 days in the sun and after that have no choice but to stay indoors in the cool. This is so awful as I love swimming and watersports. I have spent a fortune on medication and sunscreen, Dont know whats left really! Would love a holiday whereby I have the freedom to swim sunbathe and generally roam around at my leisure.
Allan

Malton, UK

#7 Jul 5, 2008
I'm in the middle of a severe prickly heat attack after a trip to the beach a few days ago. It is like being in hell for the 3rd day. I have prickly heat over the upper part of my chest. It is like having an incredible itch in several places at once. I've found that if you scratch yhe itch it simply makes it about 20 times worse and then it just escalates. So, you have to resist the temptation to scratch it. As for treatment, there is a new product called 'Magicool Plus' which you spray on to your affected areas. It's a cool mist spray designed specifically for prickly heat. In addition to this, if you take some antihystimine such as 'Piriton' this also should help. Best of luck, I'm off to the chemist.
MeM

Rockland, DE

#9 Aug 5, 2008
I've had "prickly heat" for over 3 weeks now. Amazing how I cannot sweat. I want to cut off my chest from the burning/itching. It makes me mad, driving me nuts. Why/how can there NOT be a logical treatment out there for this?
Ben Horton

Killeen, TX

#10 Aug 25, 2008
I enjoy reading the fact that most all of u seem to be having this after being in contact with heat for a long period of time, im trying to compare this to myself, i have something close to the same reactions

expect in my case, its been like this for 3 years. out of no where. started in the winter i believe. but in one way its the exact opposite, i go outside and breakout BADLY, all over my body. every square inch, but if i sweat and work out, it goes away and stays away until i either cool off inside or take a shower, upon doing those, if i go back outside in the heat i will break out again. IDK if these 2 things are the same. maybe i have a chronic version on prickly skin i do not know.

but being a 17 year boy, and being limited to the indoors in recking my childhood.

plz if anyone can regonize my illness in anyway possible plz email me at [email protected]
Audra

Fitzgerald, GA

#11 Nov 20, 2008
I started working out on my treadmill everyday and after about a month I got red itching spots under my arms. At first it wasn't that bad but it keeps getting worse. I take a shower as soon as I finish my walk and I use anti-inch cream. Nothing has worked so far. I haven't been to a doctor because I hoped it would go away, but no luck so far.
Jez

Dundee, UK

#12 Dec 3, 2008
I have a similar problem. I sweat a lot all the time, but the real problem is when I change to a suddenly warmer area. No problems in summer, but in winter when I go inside and it is warmer, or sometimes when I am cold and put a jumper on, I have a sudden sweat, and break out in a rash all over my upper body, including forehead and scalp. Usually spend about 5-15 mins scratching, then okay after that. The rash disappears, but the sweat smell is quite bad.
Jonathan

Southaven, MS

#13 Dec 14, 2008
I've had a similar problem my entire life..well..atlest since I was 11 years old..I'm 20 now.

What I have isn't bums though..it's more like splotches..or blotches...red blotches break out all over my skin whenever I get hot. But not just then...when i get hot is when they are brightest red; other times they seem to still be on me..just more close to my skin color so its not noticeable. It seems to get better and worse at random. But it ruined my life more or less; because it caused me to quit football; which I was really good at..because I couldn't stand constantly haveing the red splotches all over my body as it seriously hendered any confidence I could possibly have with girls.

...Oh it itches. Yes. I think I've even gotten used to the itching to a point. I itch every second of every day 24/7, 365 days a year. A constant; never ending itch on every inch of my body. And it hasn't stopped for a moment in almost 10 years now. It is amplified 1,000 fold when I get hot and it is inflamed. Even if I'm not excersicing or anything. If the temperature is hot; it is irritated; gets bright red splotches ALL over my body and itches horribly. My body is contantly covered. at least 90% from head to toe in a blanket of red blotches. The only place that isn't effected, thank God, is my face. If my face became effected by this I would hate my life. I already NEVER take off my shirt in front of anyone because I feel outcasted; and almost always wear a long sleeve shirt with long pants or a hoodie to cover my arms and legs.

This has plagued my life; but in a way I've come to accept it as just a part of me. Itching is a part of my life.:(

It doesn't sound like you guys have got it quite as bad as I do...so..heh..enjoy the fact that there is atleast some times in your life it goes away.
by tbhbjh

Manchester, UK

#14 Dec 20, 2008
holy molly I'm not alone
matthew

Greensburg, PA

#15 Jan 17, 2009
I wish there was a cure for this problem, my doctor told me to stay out of the heat, well its kinda hard when your in the marine corps and you're about to be deployed, sucks for me :(
Joel

United States

#16 Feb 4, 2009
Jonathan,
It sounds like you are allergic to the laundry detergent in your clothes. Try purchasing a long sleeve white t-shirt. Run it through a rinse cycle 3 or 4 times & then wear it under every shirt for a week. See if it improves.
My heat rash started after I put this thing in my hot tub that was supposed to keep the water clean naturally. It uses copper & silver to clean & deodorize the water. The morning following the evening I got in the hot tub with that thing in it, I broke out in a rash on my chest, neck & upper arms.
Mine is very manageable as long as I stay away from my hot tub & don't exercise. I am going to a dermatologist next Monday.
Jesse

Bordentown, NJ

#17 Feb 12, 2009
I can relate. For the past few months I've noticed a tingling/itching sensation down my spine at work when I was under a lot of pressure (I'm a chef).

This week I finally realized that I'm not sweating anymore. A few months ago my pits and back were drenched while working. Now I cannot sweat at all except for my arm pits and butt crack. When under extreme pressure my face and head get the sensation, and it's absolutely horrible. I lose all concentration. Today in one of my classes it was hot and my chest began to tingle and I could not focus. I used to lift weights a lot and would sweat like an animal. God, I used to sweat so much and hate it. Now my skin is dry while I feel like ripping my skin off to relieve myself from the sensation!

This is very depressing. I've always been an athletic, fit, active person and now this is causing a big problem. It's worsened in the past few days. Miliaria fits the description except I have no rashes. This sounds like it could be a neurological thing, which would mean there isn't much of a solution...
ozinger

New York, NY

#18 Mar 13, 2009
I've had a similiar problem for 3 years now except I only get a rash if I don't cool off right away. My doc's have diagnosis me as having Cholingergic Urticaria. I'm going to try a histamine free diet to see if it can control the problem. Good Luck!
jabari

United States

#19 Mar 14, 2009
i have the same problem i cant shop or do anything but starting tomarrow imma buy the benadryl cream and pills and see iff tht works if it doestn imma go to the doctor and see wht he says
Nick

United States

#20 Mar 16, 2009
I am 18 years old and work out and exercise regularly. About 2 months ago, is when it started for me just out of the blue. Whenever I exercise or just get hot indoors, my upper body itches like crazy. I don't sweat when this happens though. Then if I can go through the crazy itching, I begin to sweat and the itching stops, but I get bumps all over my arms like a heat rash.
I don't know what to do.
Anyone with suggestions, please email me.
[email protected]
Kevin

Davenport, IA

#21 Mar 31, 2009
I have the problem as you guys & ladies above...Im only 22...but I will tell you this, If you buy & use Tin-Actin Liquid Spray on all the rashes they WILL clear I promise, but you will need to use it for at least 4 to 6 weeks long and also if you have acess to a Steam Room that is at least 163 degrees inside...like in a gym, Set in there at least 20 minutes a day for 4 days or 5 which ever, The heat inside the room will make you sweat believe me, and it will open up your sweat glands the more you use it and ur skin will start to cure and go back to normal because it doesnt have a choice, It works for me...Hopefully it will for you guys and ladies too..Goodluck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
skin infestation by stg invisible to naked eye ... (Apr '06) 14 hr Goingnuts_ornot 219
Small clear callous-like bumps on hand and finger (Jan '07) 17 hr woedude 719
Painful tiny bumps on fingers (Jul '11) Sun Aliciayoder 343
small itchy blisters--differing diagnoses (Mar '08) Sun Joe 287
rash on face associated with menstrual cycle (Mar '10) Sun jacqui 159
Zits with a hard white mass. (and I mean hard) (Apr '07) Sat old soul 202
Small bump on hand Sat old soul 2
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) Jul 22 Ted 621
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) Jul 18 Harley 579
Small pink bumps appearing on arms/legs that it... (Oct '09) Jul 16 RN karen 475
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Jul 9 Issue resolved 1,825
More from around the web