white blotches on skin
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Tata

São Paulo, Brazil

#1 Oct 30, 2006
Hello, I have white blotches on my skin ( all over my back and under my breats as well as on my shoulders) They started out on my lower back, and were always white, never red or itchy. They don´t pigment like the rest of my skin so since I´m latina and brown-skinned they are very visible, especially when I get a tan. I´ve had them for about eight years now and they don´t go away, they actually seem to have spread throughout the years but don´t cause any physical sensation at all and are completely flat. The dermatologist had no idea what it was and assured me it wasn´t a fungal infection. Can anyone help me?
Tata

São Paulo, Brazil

#2 Oct 30, 2006
Sorry about posting two topics of the same thread, had a minor problem!
Andrew

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Dec 24, 2006
Tata wrote:
Hello, I have white blotches on my skin ( all over my back and under my breats as well as on my shoulders) They started out on my lower back, and were always white, never red or itchy. They don´t pigment like the rest of my skin so since I´m latina and brown-skinned they are very visible, especially when I get a tan. I´ve had them for about eight years now and they don´t go away, they actually seem to have spread throughout the years but don´t cause any physical sensation at all and are completely flat. The dermatologist had no idea what it was and assured me it wasn´t a fungal infection. Can anyone help me?
I think I can.
I had the same thing and I got them to go away by using Selson Blue (a dandruff shampoo) with selenium sulphate (or something that sounds similar. Use it on the infected areas on your skin, like you would a shower gel soap. You don't need to scrub, just lather and let it set for a minute, and rinse.
Hope it works!
Natalie

Pontypool, UK

#4 Feb 21, 2007
I think i have the same thing. My only seem to come when i am in the bath, do yours?
Jemima

Malvern, UK

#5 Mar 1, 2007
This sounds very similar to my condition. I was told it was a fungal infection in the skin so have been using Ecostatin creame for a week now and before that I tried using Selson but don't think I used i properly. How often and for how long do you have to use the Selson product?
Mexican Sofia

United States

#6 May 10, 2007
I am going to prom and my skin is like a cow filled with spots. Pleas help me I look like the look a lochness monster.
Staci

United States

#7 Jun 14, 2007
Did anyone find anything that works?? I am very tan and am having these white splotches come up all over my chest and shoulders. It looks awful.
stefan

South Africa

#8 Jun 16, 2007
i have the same thing!!!i have been using selsun and it looks like my spots are fading now.i have been using it for about 3-4 weeks now every night after i get out of the bath.hope it works for you too.
Caroline

Greenville, SC

#9 Jun 23, 2007
I think this condition may be TINEA VERSICOLOR. There is some information about it on Wikipedia.org . They say that using an OTC Selsun product (there is something called just Selsun that is not the shampoo) that contains Selenium Sulfide will fight the fungus. This has a higher concentration of Selenium Sulfide than Selsun Blue, the shampoo. I'm going to the pharmacy to see if they have it. Hope this helped someone!
Lori

AOL

#10 Jun 24, 2007
My nine month old has a white odd shape patch of non color on her torso right by the front of her shoulder and assending down toward her breast area. It shows up more distinct after she has been in the sun. Her father has a odd shaped lite brown patch of color on his left upper back . Almost all of his siblings have something similar to these marks so I'm calling it off as a birth mark. I'm not to concerned. But will have the doctor look at it on my daughters next check-up.
sherry

Calvert City, KY

#11 Jun 24, 2007
When I get a sun tan on my face my jaw line and my hairline does not get tanned. I look like I am wearing a mask. Does anyone have a solution that really works

Since: Jul 07

Cambridge, MA

#12 Jul 25, 2007
yup it is definitely tinea versicolor. I use lotrimin or lamisil.

What is tinea versicolor?

Tinea versicolor is a fungus infection that commonly affects the skin of young people, especially the chest, back, and upper arms and legs. It doesn't usually affect the face, though. This fungus produces spots that are either lighter than surrounding skin or reddish-brown. There may be just a few spots or many.

What causes tinea versicolor?

Tinea versicolor is caused by a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults. This fungus exists in two forms, one of which causes visible spots. Factors that can cause the fungus to become more visible include high humidity and immune or hormone abnormalities. However, almost all people with this very common condition are perfectly healthy.

Because the tinea versicolor fungus is part of the normal adult skin, this condition is not contagious. It often recurs after treatment, but usually not right away.

When tinea versicolor produces lighter-colored spots, it may take up to several months for the color to even out between skin areas that are affected and not affected. It always eventually does, however. Tinea versicolor does not leave permanent skin discoloration.
Ping

Monroe, NC

#13 Aug 1, 2007
I have the same thing on my lower back, sides shoulders and stomach. How long does Selsun treatment take before the white spots are gone? and do they come back?
carol phoenix az

Phoenix, AZ

#14 Aug 2, 2007
selson blue works, for the wht spots, which are a fungus
Sally

Phoenix, AZ

#15 Aug 2, 2007
???, what does one do for enlarged pores? My face looks like a dart board? This is not a joke. What causes enlarged pores? How do you get rid of them?
Topchi

Great Falls, MT

#16 Aug 2, 2007
My husband has one big white blotch on his neck
and it is getting bigger. Please help. Will it spread ? It started with a few small blotches and is now one big one about the size of a football. What can we do?
Siggi

Kópavogur, Iceland

#17 Aug 6, 2007
I have white spots on my skin where the skin comes in contact with soap (embarrassing spots). The spots start off in the sun as small red acne.
One doctor told me it was an autoimmune reaction and nothing to be done. Another one thought it might be a fungus. The medication does not work though.
Help!
sarah

UK

#18 Aug 10, 2007
I have red patches on my arms which are causing white patches. Have been told that it is a fungal infection. Was using Clotrimazole cream didn't get rid of it all though. Just started using Selsun, does anyone know if this works, I cant take these white patches any more they look awful.
sarah

UK

#19 Aug 10, 2007
oh, and do the white patches go. does anyone know or am i permentaly stuck with them.
paul enfield london

Dartford, UK

#20 Aug 19, 2007
The product Selsun does get rid of the white patches which are a common skin fungus called tinea versicolor. I have not used the shampoo products, I asked at the chemist and this Selsun product was behind the counter. It does work and the white spots are a harmless fungus, so dont panick. It will go if you persevere with Selsun and it may come back, if it does just use the Selsun again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) 5 hr Big boy 615 1,785
Peeling lips (May '06) 14 hr Marianne_C 152
Small linear cuts appearing, scabing over then ... (Oct '10) 17 hr Anna 46
Itchy scalp with tiny spots of dry blood and ha... (Aug '07) 22 hr EllieGilbert2003 101
Lump on forehead (Jun '06) Mon Marshall 686
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) Sun Mam79 568
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) Sun Mike 552
Zits with a hard white mass. (and I mean hard) (Apr '07) Nov 24 Scotty 171
Small pink bumps appearing on arms/legs that it... (Oct '09) Nov 20 Susieg56 435
More from around the web