my skin bleaches my clothing

Posted in the Dermatology Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
john

Charleston, SC

#1 Dec 31, 2006
All of my clothing gets bleached after only a few wears. It actually looks like bleach marks anywhere my skin comes in contact. My wife does not have this problem so it's not our detergent or body soap. My sheets are bleached everywhere my skin touches so it's not a particular part of my body. I have psoriasis but not severe except on my scalp. Does anyone have any clue what's going on with me?
Kimberly

Kahramanmaras, Turkey

#2 Feb 12, 2007
john wrote:
All of my clothing gets bleached after only a few wears. It actually looks like bleach marks anywhere my skin comes in contact. My wife does not have this problem so it's not our detergent or body soap. My sheets are bleached everywhere my skin touches so it's not a particular part of my body. I have psoriasis but not severe except on my scalp. Does anyone have any clue what's going on with me?
I too would like to know the answer to this as this seems to be happening with my daughter and her clothes.
Kimberly

Kahramanmaras, Turkey

#3 Feb 12, 2007
I too would like to know what is going on as this is happening with my daughter as well.
kayleigh

UK

#4 Feb 20, 2007
i am desperate to know what this is, i also find it on clothes eg on the outside of my jackets where my skin has not come into contact with it, it looks like white flicks of bleach, and all my clothes are getting ruined.
please help!
Jason

Honolulu, HI

#5 Mar 6, 2007
My shirts end up with bleach spots and sometimes bleached rings around my collars on my shirts. So mysterious?? Please find an answer!!!
Stacy

Glendale, CA

#6 May 30, 2007
If you guys are using any face wash/cream that has benzoyl peroxide, this is the culprit. Benzoyl peroxide is often used in acne washes/creams/medications and will bleach clothes.
Ashley

Pittsburgh, PA

#7 Oct 16, 2007
I have the same problem. Especially my sheets and underclothes. Do you think it could be a ph problem?
Dee

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Dec 3, 2007
I have this problem as well. It seems to only happen t clothes and linens of certain colors. I do not use acne products on my neck, chest, or back when I wear clothes during the day. Is there anything else that might cause this?
A-Jay

Spotsylvania, VA

#9 Jan 4, 2008
If anyone can explain this, I would love to know what the cause is. When I was a teenager I had this problem. I completely bleached some towels and wash clothes that used to be blue. My clothes would turn white where they sit on my shoulders and thighs, and my sheets were turning white just where I would lie in bed. Eventually I grew out of this, but I recently found out that my brother's girlfriend has this problem. I would love to know how this happens.

Since: Feb 08

Richmond, VA

#10 Feb 21, 2008
You have to much salt in your systems.
Holly

Houston, TX

#11 May 8, 2008
I have had this same problem. It lasted for about 3 years and went away. Blue clothes were the worst. And I was not using any skin products at all besides mild soap and water. It also stops my watches. I have been told it was a pH problem, but no one has any answers. I was told by one doctor that his niece had the same problem but that she died at age 26 of breast cancer. Anyone with any answers would be a Godsend to this small group of us who experience this frustrating problem.
Ashley

Wampum, PA

#12 May 9, 2008
I've been going to an acupuncturist for 6 months. I told her about it and she agreed with me that it could be a pH imbalance. I've been checking my pH and taking Super Green supplements to balance it out and I haven't had any more problems! check it out.
Stacey

Ballwin, MO

#13 May 25, 2008
This is happening with my husband too...we can't figure out what it is. We stopped using all products that would cause the bleaching effects. It is so frustrating to have all of our sheets and towels bleached out. I wish someone had an answer to this question so we could figure out how to manage this issue.
Stef

Aliso Viejo, CA

#14 Jul 12, 2008
I have the same thing happening to me. My bedding, clothing, towels. I'm itch a lot, I have acne bad now. I feel bites here and there on my legs and arms. Sometimes my body temp is super high for no reason at all. I've been living with this for two and half years now. Been to 10 Derms. No one has an answer. I'm heading to a University soon to get checked by them. I'll let you know what happens. Does anyone have an answer? I saw that girl who replied about the peroxide in facial cleaners. Sorry hun but we don't use anything like that. Nor do we use bleach in the wash. Never. This is one mysterious MF'r! It's killing me! Someone help!!!!!!
john wrote:
Tina

AOL

#15 Jul 13, 2008
My husband and son both have this bleaching affect on the sheets. This is what I am finding as the possible answer: too much salt in your systems--http://www.topix.com/ forum/med/dermatology/T6DKG805 3ANLISVQ5 and acidic ph--http://www.doctorslounge.c om/endocrinology/forums/backup /topic-14657.html
Kathleen

AOL

#16 Jul 24, 2008
My daughter's skin does the same thing - bleaches our towels and linen. She is 29 years old under stress and very thin. I wonder if it isn't an improper PH like metabolic acidosis from poor diet?

Since: Aug 08

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Aug 16, 2008
TOO MUCH SODA
mari

Brentwood, TN

#18 Aug 18, 2008
My boyfriend has this exact same problem! I bought him some blue sheets for Christmas (expensive, btw) and they are ruined now. They aren't discolored from oil, they actually look bleached! He is 23 and has an OK diet. He used to drink A LOT of coke, but now has toned that down a lot. I would love to know if the whole "too much salt" thing has any basis. I can't find any information on it, though. Also, if it is a pH problem, how does one fix it? Has anyone found anything that works for them? It's good to know that he is not alone, though. I definitely know what all of you are going through!
stef

Aliso Viejo, CA

#19 Oct 24, 2008
hi everybody. Well I wasn't able to go to the university. Lost my inusrance so now I can't afford it. I wanted to know does anyone in this forum who is effected get or feel bites? On the legs, upper arms, buttocks? Are you having sweats at night just sitting in bed? Do you feel creepy crawlies as well? Any of these I'd like to know please. There has to be an answer. Also, how many effected have a dog? Long haired preferably?

Thanks
Sneedle

Kent, WA

#20 Oct 29, 2008
I have the same problem. I ruin all my sheets, pillow cases, pj shirts, towels and now my new bed spread. It is so frustrating. I do have night sweats sometimes. I know it is not anything I am using on my skin. It has been happening to me for a couple of years now.
I am confused and frustrated.
Please help us find an answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Severe Coccyx Itching (Mar '12) 2 hr jde 32
Pediatric melanoma? Weird mold on 9 yr old son... Sat Dnovak 2
growth on leg - raised scab developed Sat perplexed 1
small itchy blisters--differing diagnoses (Mar '08) Fri jess 247
Has Anybody Used FLUOROURACIL 5% Cream? (Feb '11) Fri patris 393
small bumps like micro blisters that itch like ... Fri dcs 1
Small, "tapioca like" bumps on fingers and palms (Aug '07) Jan 22 Hard hands 468
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Jan 21 18WheelsUp 1,634
Zits with a hard white mass. (and I mean hard) (Apr '07) Jan 20 BoyZone123 113
Painful tiny bumps on fingers (Jul '11) Jan 20 oxman1856 227
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) Jan 16 Deb 339
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) Jan 13 Joey 440
More from around the web