Rash on top of bum and around base of...

Rash on top of bum and around base of penis extending into pubic area

Posted in the Dermatology Forum


Bristol, UK

#1 Nov 8, 2010
I have had a intermittent and progressive rash at the base of my penis extending well into the pubic area, for the past 4-5 years. I have been to the doctors about it and have been perscribed fungal creams such as daktacort, etc.(sorry if misspelt), however none of the anti-fungal creams I have tried have worked :(... The rash is red but some times lessens and goes more a 'skin colour', it has spouts of intense itchyness (which seems to be caused by moisture or rubbing irritation, it has recently become very dry and flakey, like layers are pealing/flaking off, and it is slightly raised feeling irregularly SLIGHTLY lumpy. I do not think it is fungal as the creams have not helped. I do not think it is ecezma (again sorry if misspelt) as i have tried E45 also, and ever tried applying Sudocrem twice a day for nearly a month, and even tried combining them together, these creams relieve itching but do not get rid of it. I just really have no idea what this is? I also have it on the top of my bum crease (gross i know T_T), which has the same symptoms as the rash around my penis. I have had both for the same period of time. I have ruled out 'jock itch' as in all the time I have had it it has not decided to spred down my inner theighs in any form. I am a fit and healthy (bar smoking) 21 year old uni student, I run three miles 5 days a week and like to try to keep fit as far as i have time for. I know my rash to be non contagious as I have a long term girlfriend who is very supportive. The rash can be very irritable after intercourse, as sweat increases itching immensely, as does contact with vaginal fluids. This results in me HAVING to itch it until the itch goes and this nearly always leads to me cracking the skin and areas bleeding slightly.
This may be unrelated, however I feel I should mention it (just incase it can be linked in any form) I have just recently, also, broke out into a series of seemingly blind and painful spots on my center-right chest. These are very painful, raised, and only immit a small amount of pus if squeezed which is dark yellow/green in colour. I have had the same thing a few months back of which the GP I saw told me to leave it and go away, that it would settle its self ... So i took it upon myself to apply a light covering of sudocream once daily and that seemed to get rid of it, however now its back. I have applied online for a doctors appointment before the 11th of this month (nov 2010) for both these issues, and am waiting for them to email me back. I would really just like a bit of pre-advice. Most likely not related, and just a reccuring infection of some description, however I do not necessarily think it is spots, as I have very good skin balance and complection,(bar these three area's at the moment)...
Do you think, seeing as I have had this groin and bum rash (gross) for so long that I should request a biopsy? As i'm with BUPA and think that allows me to get it done asap. Ive just been too embarrassed until now to keep going back to the doctors, as the rash seems to have started spreading for no particular reason within the last 2 months or so and is becoming a serious problem for me.
Thankyou to all who take the time to read this essay of disgusting things ;/ and thankyou more to the people that awnser. x

Winchester, MA

#2 Jan 4, 2013
A persistent rash like the one you describe certainly sounds like “jock itch” – a fungal infection. It is important when treating a fungal infection to continue applying the cream for the full time recommended; otherwise, it is likely that the infection will keep coming back. Your symptoms could also be related to an ongoing yeast infection, which can be treated with the same over-the-counter anti-fungal creams used for female yeast infection. Another possibility is psoriasis. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist for a full evaluation; in the meantime, you may be able to control the discomfort and ease the symptoms with a men’s vitamin cream (health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) 11 hr Spider 524
Cluster of white bumps that spreads after sun e... 17 hr ItchyArms 1
News Try turmeric for psoriasis, digestion (Feb '07) Mon Blake 28
Weird prickly skin (Sep '06) Mon Barb 1,280
Painful tiny bumps on fingers (Jul '11) Mon brian456 280
How do I treat bulging veins on forehead? (Jul '08) Sun hkhugd 1,212
Red spots, palms, pins and needles, skin peeli... (Nov '07) Sun strav 174
Small pink bumps appearing on arms/legs that it... (Oct '09) Sun Jamie Hawksworth 397
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Jul 22 Mitchell34 1,748
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) Jul 20 Kallie 526
Small clear callous-like bumps on hand and finger (Jan '07) Jul 12 DuaneDawson 694
More from around the web