Kathy

Portland, OR

#21 Jan 26, 2010
Check to see if any of your hair care products contain gluten (either on the label or call the company). I am researching the same thing and (like an earlier post) I am currently being tested for Celiac disease. I am finally putting the pieces together. Look up "dermatitis herpetiformis."
joleen

Covina, CA

#22 Feb 20, 2010
Ive been getting the same thing for years I can't figure out what it is.I never had that before. I sweat alot in my sleep and when I wake up my head is itchy and smells.I have scabs that are itchy and dry with brown dots. Its like a rash on my head.Im miserable...I notice a change when the weather changes too.
julian

New York, NY

#23 Feb 21, 2010
hi I'm 17 I have been with spots on my head for a while and it's little spot all over my head and it's constantly itchy it may have been caused from dry scalp which cause me to scratch excessively or a product that's Ive been using a couple of years ago what do I do is there any thing to regrow the little spots ? please HELP!!! and to stop the itching?
Isel

Miami, FL

#25 May 4, 2010
Wow, i have exactly the same symptoms. i actually thought i had lice. and when i used the lice comb i it had small blood spots. My doctor had suggested a while back that i may be gluten intolerant. i never connected the two. Now ia going back to get the proper tests.
Phoebe Comish

UK

#26 May 22, 2010
i am only 13yrs old and have been having problems with my head first i though it was just bad dandruff but now its quite bad i get itchy heads and i also have little sscabs wich i find when i itch. If i was to wash my head i have problems of it coming greasy very quickly i think this is because my cuts in my head are weeping stuff so it makes my hair greasy if i use a cheep shampoo my head will start burning up ITCH like crazy i need someone to help i am only 13 this is so embarrising
Rebecca

Saint Louis, MO

#27 Jul 11, 2010
Somebody help! i'm twelve and I have a simmilar proublem. I have blood and scabs, but my scalp is flaking, itching and rarely burning. I was sunburnt 3 weeks ago, but it went away two weeks ago. Please help.
kayla

Pasadena, TX

#28 Aug 26, 2010
...im nineteen and iv had this problem for about a year...the itching just wont stop...it started as a few small bloody scabs and now its many dime size scabs...iv changed shampoos...when that dint work i thought it may be stress buy its not...and i got married a few months ago...my husband doesnt understand that icant help it and thinks im scratching...so he constantly gripes...i cant really even wash my hair with hot water cause the scabs burn so much... does anyone know what this is...its imbarising and i just wanna go the salon and not be looked at like a leppor.
Dr J

Atlanta, GA

#29 Sep 21, 2010
Scalp itchyness may just be to a bacterial infection callied seborrhea or a fungus (tinea capitis) or just bad dandruff. Luckily the treatment is all the same. Use selenium sulfide shampoo twice a day. Trade name is Selsun blue that is otc. The high dose selenium sulfide is perscription.bloody scabs comes from when website scratch the scalp to much it starts to itch. Stop you scatching addiion. Get then shampoo mentioned above. Will.take.a.while.to.work mine was better after 2 weeks and NO SCARTCHING.i saved you all a 50 dollar visit. Hope this.works
msa

Manchester, UK

#30 Nov 2, 2010
i still get a blood clot on the back of my head sometimes and my scalp can be itchy ,also had loss of hair at some point which mostly seems to hve stopped, i find mine was down to oily foods like fired chicken bec when i used to eat fied chicken etc sometimes i used to get an severe itch on my head, back and i used to feel like im stuffy anyway it cut down alot prob bec i dont eat takeaway food as much butlike i said i still do get it, wierd thing is people say sweating alot is a sighn of fitnes and i sweat more than others when i play football or when im very active
lucky lucy

London, UK

#31 Dec 5, 2010
MIke Springer wrote:
Hi i have beem experiencing rare things on my head for several months. My head itches once in a while and when I want to scratch it I come to find out there are tiny scabs on the spots where my head itches. To add to it whenver i take showers there is more than usual hair falling out im only 21 HELP!!!the hair that come out have flaky roots that look kind of brownish. What is it and what do i do?
HELLO MIKE......you have NITS. i had the same issue as you and im 19, i used the nit treatment and after a few days it all dissapperead
Courtney Grabeel

Irving, TX

#32 Dec 15, 2010
i have been expierencing only one dry spot and its on the back of my head and everytime i scratch it, its puts out like an orangy color and then it drys up in clogs. please help!! by the way im only 15 so i cant have this happening!
Milo

New York, NY

#33 May 6, 2011
Many of the posters above almost certainly have an overgrowth of malassezia (a strain of yeast that lives on everyone's scalp). For unknown reasons, some people's skin mantle chemistry allows this yeast to grow rampantly. On the scalp, this manifests as oily, flaky scales; on other areas of the body, such as the chest and back, you might see small, itchy red bumps. The condition is almost always worse in the summer, after sweating, or in an otherwise hot, humid environment.

The condition is called Pityrosporum folliculitis. After more than a decade of having this, I figured out what it was and had it independently confirmed by two dermatologists. I use propylene glycol (50%) on my skin and Extina foam (which contains ketoconazole, the same ingredient found in many dandruff shampoos) on my scalp. I still get the bloody scabs occasionally, because it is hard not to pick at them absentmindedly.

Anyway, I hope this will help some of you. Figuring out the cause of these insanely annoying flakes/bumps pretty much changed my life. Good luck, and remember: always do your research!

General info from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malassezia

A more detailed article for those comfortable with medical terminology:

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/CME/art_6.ph...
Stephen

Alvinston, Canada

#34 May 24, 2011
I Have the answer for all of you based on personal experience get your Doctor to give you a prescription for the Most amazing Thing Ever called DermaZinc I swear to all that is holy in this world I had suffered for over a year with Dry Scales on my scalp, DermaZinc will work!!!spray it on at Night directly on your scalp, then wash it off in the morning you can feel it tingle and go to work Right away it will cure your Dry scalp within Days for sure,Hops this Helps someone.
Tdd5

New York, NY

#35 Jul 12, 2011
I tried the Hydrate Shampoo from Shielo Hair Collection a few months ago and I'm still using it. I really love the Hydrate shampoo because when ever I use it I feel fresh and relaxed. It makes my hair soft and silky. I recommed this Hydrate Shielo brand shampoo to everyone even men. The shampoo helps hair loss and flaky scalp. Also when ever I go swimming I put on the Shielo. So after I take a shower my hair isn't dry and rough. I order all the products from Shielo Hair online.
satar

Ireland

#36 Sep 20, 2011
hi guys i have the same problem,,,plz someone ,respond , we need solotion what to do???
Long-haired mommy

Fort Wayne, IN

#37 Oct 5, 2011
Keeley wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I have been experiancing exactly the same thing. I have yet to find out what it is and like you I am young, only 24. It started a few years ago and seems to reoccur every year and a half or so. Mine will last a few months leaving me with half the volume of hair I originally had. I've been to doctors but everyone seems to think it's stress related. I was thinking about going to have a scalp analysis but I dont know where to begin looking. I was hoping it was maybe something treatable as I am a swimmer and thought maybe I caught something from the pool. Hopefully someone will post some helpful information.
I used to have this when I was younger, 15-21yrs old. The doctors used to tell me it was psoriasis, and the treatment for it would only help for a little while. Then I started using more natural shampoos, a more moisturizing conditioner, and only washing my hair every other day. On the other days I just condition or pull my hair up. Could also just have been hormones, but I also started eating a more balanced diet. I could have been having a reaction to the sodium lauryl sulfate, but I also stopped using antiperspirant and only went to deodorant. The body is all connected. Now my hair is thick, strong and down past my hips. Hope something helps!
Long-haired mommy

Fort Wayne, IN

#38 Oct 6, 2011
Keeley wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike, I have been experiancing exactly the same thing. I have yet to find out what it is and like you I am young, only 24. It started a few years ago and seems to reoccur every year and a half or so. Mine will last a few months leaving me with half the volume of hair I originally had. I've been to doctors but everyone seems to think it's stress related. I was thinking about going to have a scalp analysis but I dont know where to begin looking. I was hoping it was maybe something treatable as I am a swimmer and thought maybe I caught something from the pool. Hopefully someone will post some helpful information.
Also, I've been massaging my scalp in the shower to stimulate blood flow and it also feels great!
Long-haired mommy

Fort Wayne, IN

#39 Oct 6, 2011
I also massage my scalp in the shower to stimulate blood flow and clear the pores.
Chelsea

Macon, GA

#40 Oct 27, 2011
I have these spots on the back of my head, ive had it for about 2 months now. When i scratch this spot i get spots on my neck and arms. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME!! i dnt know wat this is but i need to know Im only 16 years old.
Long-haired mommy

Fort Wayne, IN

#41 Oct 29, 2011
Chelsea wrote:
I have these spots on the back of my head, ive had it for about 2 months now. When i scratch this spot i get spots on my neck and arms. Can someone PLEASE HELP ME!! i dnt know wat this is but i need to know Im only 16 years old.
Read my post and try some of the things I suggest before you worry yourself sick, I had my symptoms start about your age.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rash on My Torso (Chest, back, neck, trunk) (Feb '07) 2 hr TheyrkillinguS 76
Dry Cracked thumbs - a solution!!! (Dec '06) 6 hr Norman 156
Painfully Irritated Anal Sphincter (Sep '09) 10 hr Elijafire 10
Bump on nose (Dec '06) 15 hr Cece 759
Painful tiny bumps on fingers (Jul '11) 19 hr maria 218
Red Non-Itchy Rash On My Abdomen, Inner Arms, &... (Jun '12) 21 hr shall 52
Ingrown facial hair, cysts, multiple beard hairs (Oct '06) Tue DAC 621
Small pink bumps appearing on arms/legs that it... (Oct '09) Tue millie 259
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Mon fuzzybear 1,618
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) Dec 9 Maddiline Thiel 432
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) Dec 7 Nero 334
Zits with a hard white mass. (and I mean hard) (Apr '07) Dec 4 hemant 107
More from around the web