bill

Calhan, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2007

I've had this same problem for about a year and a half. It starts as a boil, the hairs around the infection hair follicle disappear, and then it turns into a hard cyst. Dr. told me to hold a warm compress on it 10 minutes a few times a day. I did that with the first one, and squeezed out a hair with a waxy cocoon on it. Then it spread to nearby hairs. I've since pulled 20-30 of these out of my face in the last year. Now I have an obsessive compulsion to pick at these. They seem to get deeper each time, requiring me to really gouge and pick with a safety pin. Once I get them pulled, it heals and doesn't return. Why is this happening all of a sudden at 30? I've tried leaving them along, but then it stays as a large pea-sized cyst for months. They are also painful to the touch because the hair is almost like a hard splinter. all this talk about dermatologists not having an answer sucks.
brett

Milpitas, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2007

i too have the exact same issues as bill detailed above, and haven't found a dermatologist yet who understood the cause or was able to recommend anything that improved the situation.

Since: Jul 07

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks Hakan, there may be a bit of that involved I'm told. I am now going for electrolysis as that is the only way I can deal with my irritating hair. I have fought this for years and got nowhere and the only solution is removal. It will be an ongoing thing as it takes years to remove a thick male beard but I hope I'll find relief along the way as it reduces growth and options for ingrown or infections to form. I felt that this was the best option years ago but have been put off by numerous so-caled experts and medical people who I now belief do not like this option as it renders their business unessessary. Bit like the everlasting lightbulb syndrome. Please people DO NOT be conned by people who just want to sell you overpriced lotions or treat you at stupid prices etc for something which they can not cure. Facial hairs curling and kinking are as natural as curly hair is anywhere on your body, shave it and it is likely to cause problems and in some of us hair cycles will always mean repeat problems as new hair replaces old. Good luck.
john

Victoria, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2007

Bill Riggs wrote:
I'm a 38 y.o. male and until two years ago, I never had the problem I'm constantly experiencing.
Habits since age 18: When I shave, I always done so dry, and usually with double and triple razors. I rarely shave all the way to the skin. Most often, I use my beard trimmer and get it close. I don't use lotion or pre/after shave. I've never trained my hair to grow in one direction by only shaving in one direction. Seems impossible to get all the hair doing it that way.
Two years ago, I got a couple of painful bumps on my chin, and noticed the hairs on the bumps were colorless (I have dark hair) so I plucked each one, and out came a nasty-looking, thickly coated hair with a light bulb. I then applied a slight amount of pressure to the bump, and out popped another hair...and then another hair. The last thing that came out resembled a pore, and blood filled inside that wormy pore (no blood was touchable with a finger - it was like the pore was push outward through itself), and then I plucked out that pore, and it didn't hurt.
This happened repeatedly and seriously for about 1.3 years, and at one point I had about 30 cysts. I kept thinking they'd go away eventually. Amazing how quickly time can pass... I decided not to shave for about 1 month, and everything seemed to get better, but I did have the random hair.
A few months ago, everything started happening all over again, and antibiotics (cyclocenic or something like that) did get rid of the swelling/bumps, but after the meds were done, everything came right back in a few days. I feel that the swelling is due to the body sending in the troops to dissolve the hair, and the meds were trying to eliminate the troops. Soon after I took the meds, my chest, neck and face broke out in tiny white pimples EVERYWHERE, and it's been 8 days since I stopped the meds and things are starting to calm down, but the cysts are still here.
I've also had problems where 3-6 hairs clump together in one hair follicle/pore, I eventually have to pull it out because it looks bizarre.
I just don't know what to do. One dermatologist had me using some lotion, saying my face was producing too much of something, and the other doctor was had no clue and just gave me some topical and oral meds.
Nothing is solving the problem.
Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.:)
I have exact same problem.. A new razor every time i shave has helped. even a cheap one but fresh

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2007

FAO GO SEE A DOCTOR - Are you a bit dim? The reason people are posting on here is because they have already seen a doctor and in a lot of cases a dermotologist as well and still have not been helped with their condition. This is a very hard condition to treat. Please read through properly before posting and making yourself look stupid again or else just bog off.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

Guys...I have some really good news...I think.

Bought a one touch home electrolysis unit from ebay. I think it was around $15. I was wary of using it at first and actually a little scared to be electrocuting myself, but mustered up some bravery, read the instructions, and have been using it for the past 2 hrs.

I started using it on just random hairs here and there in my beard and it seemed to work as supposed to. Then I got to thinking about the problem areas I have. I'm sure mine are just like yours...never heal sometimes...swollen just a little, feels like a small lump under the skin, scar tissue forming on the outside on some of these....etc etc so I stabbed that probe into the heart of one of these problem areas and started zapping. After some zapping here and there for about 3 or 4 minutes directly in the center of the problem area I then squeezed moderately hard and the hard waxy cocoon like thing everyone is saying they've got (I've got em too) came right out. I mean it was EASY. No need to pick with a safety pin or rip at your skin and make deep punctures...or anything like that...it just came out. Of course the area I was zapping and squeezing is red now, but with some antibiotic I am hoping it will heal up just great.

Only downside is I bent BOTH tips you get with the unit, so I'll have to buy another unit or get some replacement tips or try to straighten the tips I bent. I figure if I start zapping deep in my skin on some of these problem areas, they won't be problem areas anymore and I'll start to be able to remove these embedded hairs and the healing process can begin.

I still intend on exfoliating as often as possible...even twice a day sometimes. As well as keeping up the vitamin regiment. I would say after a year or two of constantly using the home kit I'll probably get at least half of my lower beard removed and if the hairs are gone...then so will the problem...hopefully.

Andlark, would love to hear how your professional electrolysis works out. I'm sure you'll have good or better results than I.

I'll keep at this for a couple more weeks and post some more results. For once, finally, I now see a glimmer of hope......it's only taken 10 years...but I finally see one....

Enjoy, Chris
eeks

Singapore, Singapore

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah, I get this every now and then too. The bump heals once you pull out the hair. If you got someone to help you do that, good. If not, you're left blindly pulling out hairs from the back of your head till you get the right one. And you'll know it's the right one cos it hurts to pull out and the root of the hair is yucky. And sometimes if the bump is big, more than one hair is infected!
Nomiecat wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally! Someone who has the exact same problem as me. I've been searching on and off for years for these symptoms and only found serious, nasty looking diseases. Like you, I get zits/sores on my scalp, and when I pull the hairs from the area they are covered with about 1cm of whitish-clear film at the root. I usually just put benzoil peroxide on the infected areas and they eventually heal, just like acne. They also seem to heal faster once the hairs are pulled out, but then I end up with a small bald spot. The hair currently does grow back normally, but I'm afraid after years of this it's going to turn into alopecia and I'll be bald by the time I'm 50! If someone can recommend a diagnosis and/or treatment, I'd be most grateful. My dermatologist wasn't helpful.

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

I have had 3 sessions now Chris and am going for another this week. So far the electrolysist has gone directly for the problem areas as you have done with your home kit. It is obviously too early to say yet whether it will be a success but I did notice a few lingering roots/hard embedded hairs come to the surface and drop out a few days after the first session. Whether this was a direct result of the treatment I dont know but I will discuss this further with my electrolysist and post any useful comments. The main reason for the treatment is obviously to remove existing hair/reduce my growth to help minimise future problems while existing problems are still being treated with antibiotics and steroids. Another userful tip is to use warm salt water on any bumps/boils, hold a compress on the areas or bath for up to 30mins, I use cotton wool pads, and this will help to bring the problems to the surface. Do this as often as you can and it should help. I will post more when I see any results one way or the other in the near future. I would also point out that electrolysis is not as expensive as laser so well worth investigating if you think it may help you but do go for a tried and trusted one with all the relevant qualifications and certificates.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2007

Andlark,
Would you care to discuss the electrolysist's comments in regards to your problem? In other words, has he seen problems like ours before? Has he helped other patients like us in the past? What are his comments in regards to the permanence of hair loss of his procedure? Would you care to comment on the costs you are paying for the procedure? How close to your treatment areas were the hairs that fell out? Sorry to pry, but the more info the better!!!!
Thanks
Chris
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2007

Also....did it hurt???!?!?!?!
Other View

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2007

Judged:

A question here that some of you might not like to answer. How much alcohol would you say you drink. I've had the thick hair/zit thing going on for something like two years now. It's far from frequent, though I am noticing it more often. And having thought about it, it correlates with when my drinking liquor began to increase.
What I don't want to hear is a barrage of reasons to temper my drinking. Those are plain enough. But I would like to know if others have noticed a similar correlation as well (causation being another question, of course).

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2007

Chris - I am happy to discuss. The electrolysist I am using has treated people with this condition before. I am getting the impression, call me an old cynic, that a lot of other people tend to shy away from suggesting electrolysis as it is permamnent and it basically will put them out of the picture and unable to profit from your condition. The condition is curable if hairs are removed it would seem as they cause the problem, it's logic so why do people not suggest this in the first place? Laser therpy does not do a permanent removal job yet is more expensive than electrolysis, it does not make sense to opt for this as when the hairs grow back they will cause the same infections. Get rid of them and bingo, problem solved. Cost wise you need to shop around and I recommend someone who does gender change routines rather than a general high street beautician as they are more used to removing whole dense beards. Discuss your problem with them and I think you'll be surprised how often they deal with this. Also make sure they are registered and approved. Hairs have been removed close to existing boils for me so as to prevent spreading infection and so far so good. I am still taking prescribed drugs to deal with existing boils via a dermotologist. Electrolysis is a slow process as hairs sometimes have to been blasted 4 times before they die but at least I feel I am getting somewhere at last. It hurts a little but no more than a little lingering sting which is a lot less painful and prolonged than a boil can be. My sessions cost around 40 pounds an hour in which time a good electrolysist should be able to treat up to 100 hairs. I am happy to answer any questions and will keep you informed of my progress. I have had 3 sessions now and due a 4th next week.

Other View - I thought of this to but came to the conclusion that a lot of alcohol just knackers your immune system so will obviously bring out the worst in any problems you have.
WMJ

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

I had had the same situation and relate it directly to ingrown hair problems, nothing more ominous. My father had the same problem, so I think there is a genetic connection as well. I have periodic break outs and the remedy is to let the beard grow a few days, tweeze the offending spot(s) and use over OTC acne cream to dry it out. It works well and if caught in the beginning stages, they will heal with a day or two and not get any larger or more infected.
Jason

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

I have followed this forum for a while and I can relate to almost all of the issues discussed. I have struggled with PFB for a very long time and I have used a variety of techniques and products along the way. Most were a waste or too painful.

Recently, my wife came across an advertisement for Anthony's (Logistics For Men) Ingrown Hair Treatment. I decided to purchase it and I have been very pleased. While I still get bumps the severity and recovery has improved quite a bit.

In addition, I recently visited a facility which provides laser hair removal and other services. Based upon my initial visit I believe Candela's GentleYAG and/or SmoothBeam lasers may be a nice solution, but I must continue to do the research.

If anyone has tried laser hair removal using this method I would love to hear about the results you experienced. In addition, any further details on the cause of pili multigemini would be very much appreciated. Let's keep helping one another out!

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2007

Re causes of pili multigemini, I don't think there is a cause as such I have been led to believe it is just genetic, its not to say all hairs that grow in this way will cause problems but the risk is obviously higher.
Chris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2007

Otherview-
From what I have read, which are numerous articles, a few from medical journals....genetics and vitamin deficiencies have been mentioned as part of the problem. What I haven't seen a lot of mention of is immuno-deficiency or auto-immune issues in coincidence with these issues. I would say possibly that lots of alcohol could lower your body's immune system and be the cause of more outbreaks....possibly. But I wouldn't necessarily put a significant link on the alcoholism itself. I don't drink at all. I probably have 10 beers a year and I have these dermatological issues all the time. Now, I rarely eat lots of fruits and vegetables. My diet is fast food, french fries, pizza, and diet coke. I keep the weight off by working out, but I just eat horribly from a nutrition standpoint. I have noticed that, over the past 10 years, which happens to coincide with my outbreaks, that I have been getting sick a lot each year. If my wife gets 1 cold, I get 2 or 3. Or, if she gets 1 cold for 3 days, I have it for 6. My immune system is definitely lower than hers. What is strange is....is what link does the immune system have to this issue? I would say somewhat a significant one but have seen no studies or have even found a doctor that could speak with experience on this one.
Andlark, Thanks so much for the info. I am going to proceed on a different path...for now...and that's to continue the home electrolysis - hey, it's CHEAP!!!! I will keep reporting my findings here periodically. Maybe we can compare notes in several weeks and see who's better off. I would tend to guess you will be as a professional is handling your case. In the meanwhile I'll be on the lookout for someone in my area that can do what you said. By the way, the lady I contacted that owned that website I referenced in a few posts ago, commented the same as you....she specialized in the transgendered beard removals and also commented that electrolysis is THE only method of permanent removal (Jason, take note....I've had 4 or 5 sessions of laser removal and for me...it grows back, and just keeps the infections going!!! ugh.)
Also, with what I have read and what I know about my dad, I agree with the follicular issues being genetic. My dad didn't quite get these things on his face, BUT....got red bumps often on his hind quarters and thighs a lot...and....so do i too....
they don't go away very easy, they aren't acne, and I've had a doctor say it's just folliculitis and to scrub and xfoliate the legs and buttocks areas often. And....when using pumice stone in the shower repeatedly over several days, along with a good benzoyl wash, this works!
Alchemist

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Multiple hairs from the same pore is likely caused by your genetic mix. Some people have it, some don't. E thankful it's not cancer or heart disease. To treat, apply rubbing alcohol to the area once the 'bump' appears, use a heat-sterilized needle to work the hair tip(s) so that you can tweeze out the mass. Be sure to sterilize the tweezers with heat and/or alcohol. Pull out the hairs, wash the area with alcohol on a cotton ball, air dry, then apply 3-in-1 antibiotic cream. Should heal very fast. Short of changing your genes (an impossibility), you'll have to live with it till you're dead or until your genes decide to express themselves differently (which is why it showed up later in life to begin with as opposed to at birth).

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Be thankful its not cancer or heart disease?! I am sure anyone is, bit of a dumb thing to say really Alchemist are you suggesting that just because a problem is not terminal or life threatening that we should all just get on and live with it however painful or irritating it may be? Thanks for the advice though which is a short term remedy as it will not stop the problem permanently. My electrolysist is confident as is my dermotologist that the path of action I am taking will help a lot the minimise my condition and discomfort. I will post again in a few weeks time as I dont want to tempt fate now by saying it's working but it certainly seems a logical solution when you think about it. My hair is very strong which part causes the problem and removing some of it will hopefully make my life a little more comfortable.
Ben

Savannah, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2007

I have had similar problems with ingrown hairs and multiple hairs since I started shaving. I am 28 now and just tonight I have pulled 15 or 20 "plugs" of hair each bright white, some with as many as 12 or 14 hairs per follicle(also with the white sheath around them). They seem to be fused together sometimes, but can be pulled apart with tweezers. Whenever I shave almost every hair becomes ingrown, and for weeks after I am left with a needle picking out the ends of my hair from under my skin waiting for everything to heal. I have resorted to using hair clippers to shave with. This gives me a constant "stubble look" whether or not it is in style. It does drasticly help with the ingrown hairs though, because they don't get shaven down below skin level. I highly recomend doing this if you have a job where you don't have to be clean shaven. The multiple hair follicles still persist, but they don't seem to get infected nearly as often as when I was shaving with a razor. I also still get a random ingrown hair, but again it is nothing like when I shave with a razor. I have contemplated having electrolisis but it is so expensive I haven't found room in my budget for it yet. Thank you all for all the coments, I know how you all feel. This is the first place I have seen anyone talk about this problem with any kind of intelligence. Everyone I have talked to before seems to think it is as simple as a problem with my shaving technique.
Karla La Rue

Independence, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2007

Bill Riggs wrote:
I'm a 38 y.o. male and until two years ago, I never had the problem I'm constantly experiencing.
Habits since age 18: When I shave, I always done so dry, and usually with double and triple razors. I rarely shave all the way to the skin. Most often, I use my beard trimmer and get it close. I don't use lotion or pre/after shave. I've never trained my hair to grow in one direction by only shaving in one direction. Seems impossible to get all the hair doing it that way.
Two years ago, I got a couple of painful bumps on my chin, and noticed the hairs on the bumps were colorless (I have dark hair) so I plucked each one, and out came a nasty-looking, thickly coated hair with a light bulb. I then applied a slight amount of pressure to the bump, and out popped another hair...and then another hair. The last thing that came out resembled a pore, and blood filled inside that wormy pore (no blood was touchable with a finger - it was like the pore was push outward through itself), and then I plucked out that pore, and it didn't hurt.
This happened repeatedly and seriously for about 1.3 years, and at one point I had about 30 cysts. I kept thinking they'd go away eventually. Amazing how quickly time can pass... I decided not to shave for about 1 month, and everything seemed to get better, but I did have the random hair.
A few months ago, everything started happening all over again, and antibiotics (cyclocenic or something like that) did get rid of the swelling/bumps, but after the meds were done, everything came right back in a few days. I feel that the swelling is due to the body sending in the troops to dissolve the hair, and the meds were trying to eliminate the troops. Soon after I took the meds, my chest, neck and face broke out in tiny white pimples EVERYWHERE, and it's been 8 days since I stopped the meds and things are starting to calm down, but the cysts are still here.
I've also had problems where 3-6 hairs clump together in one hair follicle/pore, I eventually have to pull it out because it looks bizarre.
I just don't know what to do. One dermatologist had me using some lotion, saying my face was producing too much of something, and the other doctor was had no clue and just gave me some topical and oral meds.
Nothing is solving the problem.
Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.:)
This sounds similar to my sons problem and he believes his is related to chewing tobacco, because when he quit chewing the cyst went away, but then he started it back up and the cyst came back. The cysts do have an ingrown hair in them. My son is curious if you use tobacco of any kind?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

165 Users are viewing the Dermatology Forum right now

Search the Dermatology Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Small clear callous-like bumps on hand and finger (Jan '07) 2 hr Michael ripley 646
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) 12 hr Ayla 293
Skin on head of penis damaged from scraping dur... (Jun '08) 21 hr Mohamed 13
Small pink bumps appearing on arms/legs that it... (Oct '09) Thu Please help 239
Circular, Dime sized, Facial Hair loss (Sep '06) Thu Jay 1,959
Small, "tapioca like" bumps on fingers and palms (Aug '07) Thu mpm 459
PLEVA, Mucha-Habberman's disease (Apr '07) Wed jolie 951
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) Jul 23 Kayla 411
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Jul 21 Gone 1,582
Bump on nose (Dec '06) Jul 4 asbel 748
•••
•••