Ingrown facial hair, cysts, multiple ...

Ingrown facial hair, cysts, multiple beard hairs

Posted in the Dermatology Forum

First Prev
of 33
Next Last
Bill Riggs

Bethel Island, CA

#1 Oct 24, 2006
I'm a 38 y.o. male and until two years ago, I never had the problem I'm constantly experiencing.

Habits since age 18: When I shave, I always done so dry, and usually with double and triple razors. I rarely shave all the way to the skin. Most often, I use my beard trimmer and get it close. I don't use lotion or pre/after shave. I've never trained my hair to grow in one direction by only shaving in one direction. Seems impossible to get all the hair doing it that way.

Two years ago, I got a couple of painful bumps on my chin, and noticed the hairs on the bumps were colorless (I have dark hair) so I plucked each one, and out came a nasty-looking, thickly coated hair with a light bulb. I then applied a slight amount of pressure to the bump, and out popped another hair...and then another hair. The last thing that came out resembled a pore, and blood filled inside that wormy pore (no blood was touchable with a finger - it was like the pore was push outward through itself), and then I plucked out that pore, and it didn't hurt.

This happened repeatedly and seriously for about 1.3 years, and at one point I had about 30 cysts. I kept thinking they'd go away eventually. Amazing how quickly time can pass... I decided not to shave for about 1 month, and everything seemed to get better, but I did have the random hair.

A few months ago, everything started happening all over again, and antibiotics (cyclocenic or something like that) did get rid of the swelling/bumps, but after the meds were done, everything came right back in a few days. I feel that the swelling is due to the body sending in the troops to dissolve the hair, and the meds were trying to eliminate the troops. Soon after I took the meds, my chest, neck and face broke out in tiny white pimples EVERYWHERE, and it's been 8 days since I stopped the meds and things are starting to calm down, but the cysts are still here.

I've also had problems where 3-6 hairs clump together in one hair follicle/pore, I eventually have to pull it out because it looks bizarre.

I just don't know what to do. One dermatologist had me using some lotion, saying my face was producing too much of something, and the other doctor was had no clue and just gave me some topical and oral meds.
Nothing is solving the problem.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.:)
Greta

AOL

#2 Nov 12, 2006
I developed a small red bump below the knuckle of the ring finger on my right hand. The oddest thing was that a bunch of hair sprung up around it and the hairs were black ( I am blonde). The evil looking thing grew and seemed to burst through the skin. It resembled a peeling onion. It also looked as though it had a blood supply. Red striations running up the sides. I caught it one day under the lip of the metal bread drawer. Instant surgery!! It was gone, for a few months. It is growing back hair and all. Help

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Lynne

Riverside, CA

#3 Nov 28, 2006
Bill Riggs wrote:
I'm a 38 y.o. male and until two years ago, I never had the problem I'm constantly experiencing.
Habits since age 18: When I shave, I always done so dry, and usually with double and triple razors. I rarely shave all the way to the skin. Most often, I use my beard trimmer and get it close. I don't use lotion or pre/after shave. I've never trained my hair to grow in one direction by only shaving in one direction. Seems impossible to get all the hair doing it that way.
Two years ago, I got a couple of painful bumps on my chin, and noticed the hairs on the bumps were colorless (I have dark hair) so I plucked each one, and out came a nasty-looking, thickly coated hair with a light bulb. I then applied a slight amount of pressure to the bump, and out popped another hair...and then another hair. The last thing that came out resembled a pore, and blood filled inside that wormy pore (no blood was touchable with a finger - it was like the pore was push outward through itself), and then I plucked out that pore, and it didn't hurt.
This happened repeatedly and seriously for about 1.3 years, and at one point I had about 30 cysts. I kept thinking they'd go away eventually. Amazing how quickly time can pass... I decided not to shave for about 1 month, and everything seemed to get better, but I did have the random hair.
A few months ago, everything started happening all over again, and antibiotics (cyclocenic or something like that) did get rid of the swelling/bumps, but after the meds were done, everything came right back in a few days. I feel that the swelling is due to the body sending in the troops to dissolve the hair, and the meds were trying to eliminate the troops. Soon after I took the meds, my chest, neck and face broke out in tiny white pimples EVERYWHERE, and it's been 8 days since I stopped the meds and things are starting to calm down, but the cysts are still here.
I've also had problems where 3-6 hairs clump together in one hair follicle/pore, I eventually have to pull it out because it looks bizarre.
I just don't know what to do. One dermatologist had me using some lotion, saying my face was producing too much of something, and the other doctor was had no clue and just gave me some topical and oral meds.
Hi. I also am having some weird skin problems and the hair follicle seems to be involved. I too get different looking sometimes colorless hairs and pluck them and often will find a thick black coating and a bulbous end. Often I will get a white speck clinging to the shaft from under the skin. As crazy as this sounds, I have seen some of the hair move, very distinctly, as if looking around. It will always have a speck on it, sometimes seems like energy moving. I am baffled and wondering if anyone has had this?
Tanmai Saksena

India

#4 Dec 19, 2006
Dear Bill,
Exactly same problem I am bearing since last 5 Years. Tried many treatment and also did many experiments but could not get any fixation.Even some of the doctors In USA advised me to go for Laser or plastic surgery. But some thing I started suddenly changed the pattern of this growth.
Before shaving, I first massage my face with a mixture of Honey+Almond oil+Rose water. This makes the hairs soft and skin glows. Then I take steam bath for another 10 Min emphasizing over the face. Meanwhile I continue massaging the face. This actually open all the pores of the face. Then apply shaving cream & rub the shaving brush for about 5 min. If possible use a shaving gel high in alcohol. And then try to have cleam shave.This will take around 6-8 months but will definitely work.
Bill Riggs wrote:
superbug

Loudon, TN

#5 Dec 26, 2006
Have any of you heard of morgellons?
Live1

Croydon, UK

#6 Feb 14, 2007
Ive plucked 20 ingrows on my beard 4 months ago and the hair hasnt grown bk.i have a big bald patch
walsh

East Lansing, MI

#7 Feb 17, 2007
Greta wrote:
I developed a small red bump below the knuckle of the ring finger on my right hand. The oddest thing was that a bunch of hair sprung up around it and the hairs were black ( I am blonde). The evil looking thing grew and seemed to burst through the skin. It resembled a peeling onion. It also looked as though it had a blood supply. Red striations running up the sides. I caught it one day under the lip of the metal bread drawer. Instant surgery!! It was gone, for a few months. It is growing back hair and all. Help
Greta, you need to see a doctor. That sounds like a certain type of skin cancer.
JDAH

Stony Brook, NY

#8 Feb 19, 2007
I've got the same thing going on, but only recently (I've only had 2 instances so far). It appeared to be folliculitis in the first case, and healed about a week after I removed (only one) hair.
Now I have a repeat incident only a few centimeters from the original... so far there is no hair in sight, but I'm not going to open myself up to find out. This one is much too painful, and is very dense (much like the other one).
If this persists, I'll see a dermatologist this weekend, but does anyone else have experience with something like this? How did you resolve it?
Ray

Los Banos, CA

#9 Mar 1, 2007
I think diet is something to keep in mind here. Lots of fruit and veggies help your body keep this kind of thing in check. Hair is made of protein. So too much or even lack of meat can throw your body off in creating hair. Moderation is key.
Suki

Motherwell, UK

#10 Mar 4, 2007
I have been geyying lumps occasionally for about 2 and half years. Not too often but when they come they can get big, and when they are popped several hairs come out, stuck together as though one, and with a lettle pressure more follow. Other times I pop and a single hair comes out only its wide and flat. Got one at the moment under my chin and its been a week and it wont pop it is painful to try. Any cures?
rudy

Mesa, AZ

#11 Mar 10, 2007
I got the same thing but i get zits on my head and pull the hairs out through them and i get a clearish white gel around the end part of the hair... its nasty but the zits on my head are so hard to leave alone.. i was on antibiotics and it didnt do anything.
what can solve my problem?
Ronald

South Africa

#12 Mar 15, 2007
Hi Bill I feel your pain as I too have the same problem and I to have been to dermitologists who cant seem to tell me anything about this condition but you are lucky you can get to the hair I have to wait till it makes a scab (gross ye) then I can pull the bugger out then it goes away. I thought it might be something I eat that causes it but I cant put my finger on it. This is a huge pain and irritation so if anyone out there who knows what to do to help please HELP...
Tanmai Saksena wrote:
Dear Bill,
Exactly same problem I am bearing since last 5 Years. Tried many treatment and also did many experiments but could not get any fixation.Even some of the doctors In USA advised me to go for Laser or plastic surgery. But some thing I started suddenly changed the pattern of this growth.
Before shaving, I first massage my face with a mixture of Honey+Almond oil+Rose water. This makes the hairs soft and skin glows. Then I take steam bath for another 10 Min emphasizing over the face. Meanwhile I continue massaging the face. This actually open all the pores of the face. Then apply shaving cream & rub the shaving brush for about 5 min. If possible use a shaving gel high in alcohol. And then try to have cleam shave.This will take around 6-8 months but will definitely work.
<quoted text>
chet chuckle

Newberry, SC

#13 Mar 24, 2007
i have one on my left bottom cheek near my jaw line center from my ear to chin. IT HURTS LIKE HELL and I shaved and it opened it right up and bled. Its like a small gaping hole in my face! WHERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS!! HELP!!
Floyd

Hearne, TX

#14 Mar 29, 2007
I also occasionally get these bumps on my face. I STRONGLY ADVISE TO NOT PICK AT THEM!!! I made the bad mistake of doing so and I had to have one cut out of my cheek. Doctors said it was due to an ingrown hair, but now i have yet another one towards the bottom of my ear lobe. I really have no idea why this is happening anymore but it is serious torture especially having to deal with scars. I have also formed smaller ones and if i squeeze those, a white almost transparent hair will come up with a sick kind of little white ball on the end. I really do not want to have to go through any surgery again so please if anyone can offer a safer, better solution, you have my full attention.
JULIE

Irvine, UK

#15 Mar 30, 2007
superbug wrote:
Have any of you heard of morgellons?
type into your search engine morgellons pictures this site might shed some light for you all
Nomiecat

Sicklerville, NJ

#16 Mar 30, 2007
rudy wrote:
I got the same thing but i get zits on my head and pull the hairs out through them and i get a clearish white gel around the end part of the hair... its nasty but the zits on my head are so hard to leave alone.. i was on antibiotics and it didnt do anything.
what can solve my problem?
Finally! Someone who has the exact same problem as me. I've been searching on and off for years for these symptoms and only found serious, nasty looking diseases. Like you, I get zits/sores on my scalp, and when I pull the hairs from the area they are covered with about 1cm of whitish-clear film at the root. I usually just put benzoil peroxide on the infected areas and they eventually heal, just like acne. They also seem to heal faster once the hairs are pulled out, but then I end up with a small bald spot. The hair currently does grow back normally, but I'm afraid after years of this it's going to turn into alopecia and I'll be bald by the time I'm 50! If someone can recommend a diagnosis and/or treatment, I'd be most grateful. My dermatologist wasn't helpful.
Sean - California

United States

#17 Apr 4, 2007
I have very similar syptoms to Suki. I am 36 years old. Every now and then a weird zit-type thing shows up and when I get tired of staring at it and assault it I find several hairs and some hard yellowish goop shaped like a bulb cemented to the base and sometimes a few more hairs if I am persistant. Other times a single hair is VERY wide, like the width of 4 or 5 hairs. Other times 4 or 5 hairs appear to have grown together somehow and when plucked they can be forced apart by squeezing them hard with tweezers.

We sure have lots of complaints - any dermatologists out there?
Suki wrote:
I have been geyying lumps occasionally for about 2 and half years. Not too often but when they come they can get big, and when they are popped several hairs come out, stuck together as though one, and with a lettle pressure more follow. Other times I pop and a single hair comes out only its wide and flat. Got one at the moment under my chin and its been a week and it wont pop it is painful to try. Any cures?
Jman

Manorville, NY

#18 Apr 7, 2007
Hey guys, I'm having the same conditions described by the topic maker. It first started around a year ago, and at that time, I had no idea how to combat the situation. I would go to sleep with some facial cleaner on the spot on my chin, and after a few weeks of doing this, it would go away. Then 2 days of me not using the cleaner would go by, and it would come back. So then about 4 months ago, I decided to just attack the problem head on.

I tweased out every mother effin hair in and around the red spot. There would be small, HARD, little short white hairs hiding amongst my black stubble that when tweased, immediately made the red patch of skin feel better. After a week, it went away. It came back about 4-5 months later, smaller though, and I just tweased the whole area again, and then it was gone very quickly.

I don't know what is causing this at all. I have a normal diet and I wash my face with rubbing alcohol many times a day to keep it clean and dry. I don't get any pimples besides these tough red, almost cyst-like things that contain some kind of ingrown hair. Once it's all tweased out, it heals and goes away within the week.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
WTF

United States

#19 Apr 9, 2007
I am at battle with these gel tube hair nightmares..... IT IS NOT MOGELLONS>>>> or a worm...... the only thing I can do is get it out... and wait to heal... but it seems to spread....

help
GO SEE A DOCTOR

Vancouver, Canada

#20 Apr 16, 2007
Maybe some of you have, but I think you should all SEE A DOCTOR instead of posting on an internet bulletin and hoping some random person will have the correct, factual solution to your problem!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 33
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) 1 hr Mike 552
Discoid Rash 10 hr jazz2330 1
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) 14 hr Mia 566
Deep lines and wrinkles in soles of feet and palms (Feb '13) 16 hr californiaaaaaaa 24
dark spots on fingertips (Oct '06) Fri OG BAE 275
How do I treat bulging veins on forehead? (Jul '08) Fri SDSD84 1,239
skin infestation by stg invisible to naked eye ... (Apr '06) Fri Deborah 199
Painful tiny bumps on fingers (Jul '11) Nov 26 Self examiner 306
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Nov 26 Honka 1,784
Zits with a hard white mass. (and I mean hard) (Apr '07) Nov 24 Scotty 171
More from around the web