Thickened hyperpigmented places on to...

Thickened hyperpigmented places on top of feet

Posted in the Dermatology Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Morgan

Dunnellon, FL

#1 Jul 10, 2010
This one is stumping me. Have googled and googled and nothing. Doesn't hurt or itch so not really disposed to going to an M.D. Here goes:

About 6 months ago I noticed the ankle crease on top of my right foot (where your foot meets your leg) was darker or something. I didn't think anything of it, but now it is more pronounced. Essentially, the skin there is thickened and hyperpigmented kinda orangish-brown. It almost looks like I have an ankle bracelet on! It is ONLY on the right side. I then noticed that I have the same skin darkening and thickening (it isn't really dry OR flaky, just thick) on my ankles in a round quarter sized area about two inches to the front of my outside ankle bone. So, if I look down to the ankle crease, to the outside and down a bit.

I initially thought that was from my shoes, but that is NOT where the tops of my shoes rub!

I am 46, healthy, good nutrition, good weight, and usually nice skin. I would note that my mother had bad ezcema in the same place (the quarter sized areas). However, mine does not itch at all. I tried sanding it down, but there really isn't old dry skin there. It's just thick and orangish looking. And no, I don't use self tanners at all. I generally heal well, no hyperpigmentation any place else.

ANY ideas? I really think this is weird.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Christina

Broomfield, CO

#2 May 24, 2012
I have the same thing! I'm a healthy 42 year old woman who has always had great skin. I have a history of some eczema, but nothing terrible.

I have that thick, slightly darker, dry skin on the top of my feet by my ankles and on the top in the middle of the foot. My knees are also a little thicker and darker...

Did you ever find out what it was? Of course the first thing that comes up when I google it is scleroderma!!!(sp?) Ugh..
Kya

United States

#3 Jan 19, 2013
Either of you figure out what it was, or how to get rid of it? Going through the EXACT same issue!! I'm stumped!
Melinda

Grand Prairie, TX

#4 Jan 20, 2013
I have it too; started in my 40's w/ a quarter size dark patch in the top crease btwn ankle and foot and spread to the side of my foot. Doesn't itch but sometime gets thick and peels. I did go to a dermatologist who could not tell me what it was or what caused it - ugh. Sent me home w/a prescription for Urea Cream mosturizer and a Salayic Acid. The Urea did nothing and the Salayic acid helped only a little. My insurance stopped covering Salayic acid so I buy any acne medicine w/it such as Stridex pads. I scrub it with a Lava Rock I got at Sally's Beauty Supply and that has helped more than any other type exfoliator thingee. Use the salayic acid after a bath,then apply a thick cream like Eucirine and cover with a sock overnight - every night. Save your money on foot/callus creams - they do nothing for me. It has never gone away completely but this helps somewhat with the discoloration and the thickness of the skin. If anyone gets an accurate diagonoses, I'd sure like to hear. I have not found any other information on this except in this forum either. I would suggest going to a doctor though because it could be an indication of not getting enough oxygen to that part of the body for a number of medical reasons, but especially if you are a smoker.
Cindy

Toledo, OH

#5 May 3, 2013
I have had the same thing, about the size of a quarter, on both feet all my life and I'm 41. It is worse on my right foot than my left. The only time it went away was when I was pregnant 3 yrs ago. I took Omega 3 every day and my skin was like silk. I quit taking it after my pregnancy and it's back. So, either the prenatal vitamins cured it or the Omega 3. I just started taking Omega 3 again and hope it will go away because it's embarrassing.
Valerie

Sherwood Park, Canada

#6 May 26, 2013
I have this too! I'm a 50 year-old female and I suddenly developed these darkened spots (thicker, striated skin) on tops of both feet where feet meet leg as described in other posts, but also just below both knee caps. They are not itchy, flaky or anything, just really unsightly. I hate wearing skirts now because I just see 4 dark spots perfectly symmetrical. They are darker and almost bruise-like, not orangish as Morgan mentioned. It's so weird. My doctor doesn't know why they're symmetrical or what they are; she just said something about getting drier skin in older years and suggested a cream high in urea (which doesn't help at all). It's frustrating. It's also not from shoes or being on knees a lot like some people I talk to are guessing. And it arrived so suddenly about a year and a half ago. I don't use any creams, or tanning products; nothing was different.
Brittany

Washington, DC

#7 Jun 25, 2013
Just curious do any of you have a habit of sitting with the particular affected foot tucked under you? For instance, I sit at my computer a lot in a leather computer chair with my right foot tucked under me. wasn't a habit before but recently started doin it in the last few months and I have a large darker thick patch from about my ankle to the side edge of my foot. its only on the foot I sit on a lot so perhaps this is caused by excessive pressure on sensitive skin ? my skin there is very thick with deep ridges and had gotten so dry it actually hurt a bit.
Shannon

Brampton, Canada

#8 Jun 26, 2013
Has anyone found a remedy for this? I have had the same thing for about a year now and I don't know what it is....Thanks!:)
Sharon

Alexandria, VA

#9 Jun 28, 2013
I have it, too; both feet, where the foot and leg meet, and they are symmetrical. They started out as dark, almost circular patches and now, after a year or more, are also dry but creams do not help, and using a pumice stone hasn't helped, either. Why can't dermatologists say what it is? Please forward information if you come up with an accurate diagnosis and treatment. It's ugly and embarrassing!
Hannah

Quezon City, Philippines

#10 Jul 15, 2013
Omg i have the same thing! I'm only 15 years old girl and i have this already since 13 years. I can't wear skirts and dress because of my ankle. Help me.:(
Jorge

Lancaster, CA

#11 Jul 16, 2013
I'm 29 and noticed I had some darkening very similar to what everyone seems to be experiencing. Really sucks! Doesn't hurt, but lately noticed the skin there is becoming thicker. Tried scrubbing it off to no avail. Please, if anyone comes to a diagnosis please reply. Just out of curiosity though, anyone of you suffer with thyroid problems? That's the only thing I can think of that it may be related to. I'm hypothyroid on meds for it. Just wondering.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Lou

UK

#12 Jul 31, 2013
Yes I have this on both ankles, so does my sister, always assumed it was normal! It looks like when you have fske tan on dry skin!! reminds me of elephant skin. wondered what it is now I know it's not, it also went in pregnancy and back now, I'm 31. My mum is reflexologist and states this area is hormone related but cannot say what this is. However I have always had hormone issues, pmt etc, might be a clue x
Anne

Calgary, Canada

#13 Aug 3, 2013
I have this too, I'm 36 and it has been there for about 2 years (dryer, darker, brownish, quarter size and symmetrical on both feet), although now that I am pregnant again it appears to be improving. Really curious what it is caused by.
Kelly

Loomis, CA

#14 Aug 11, 2013
Yes! I started to think this must be it for me too! I sit at my desk on a leather chair very frequently with my foot tucked under me. Usually my right more than my left and this skin condition is thicker on my right ankle. I think this must be it. I am also pregnant and thought it was hormones but I also realized I didn't start sitting that way until I became pregnant and it's the most comfortable right now. I will try sitting differently and see if it goes away! Glad to hear you might think its the same thing.
Brittany wrote:
Just curious do any of you have a habit of sitting with the particular affected foot tucked under you? For instance, I sit at my computer a lot in a leather computer chair with my right foot tucked under me. wasn't a habit before but recently started doin it in the last few months and I have a large darker thick patch from about my ankle to the side edge of my foot. its only on the foot I sit on a lot so perhaps this is caused by excessive pressure on sensitive skin ? my skin there is very thick with deep ridges and had gotten so dry it actually hurt a bit.
Sarah

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Aug 11, 2013
I'v had a 2 inch patch of rough, thick, ridged skin under my right ankle for a couple of years now. I also last year suddenly had pain in the outer side of my right foot when walking. I did notice I was sitting a lot with my right leg tucked under me (oddly it didn't really hurt to sit that way, just to walk). I stopped sitting that way and the pain went away (not sure if I strained a tendon or had a small stress fracture), and thinking about it now, the rough skin improved as well. I recently started sitting that way again and the pain is back, and the rough skin is much worse and getting little burning pinpricks. Back to being careful how I sit, I guess.
As to the yellow/orange colored, thick skin on the front of the ankle, I don't have it so bad there, but I do have the same skin in a lot of other creases, most noticeably the back of my neck, where it's almost brown. The doctor I went to said it was a harmless pigmentation issue and that no one really knows what causes it or how to cure it. He called it Acanthosis N.(The auto-mod thinks I'm using an offensive term there, so I've abbreviated it.) When I've looked it up it seems to have links to being overweight, but it's not exclusive to overweight people and doesn't always go away if the weight is lost.
Eleanor

Blackburn, UK

#16 Aug 13, 2013
I have this problem too! Thickened, dry, scaly skin that's darker than the rest of my foot, on top of my feet where leg meets foot. On my right foot it extends out from the dry patch in a line around the underside of my ankle bone for about 4 inches. My knees also look darker and are starting to get quite dry. What IS this?
Lou Lou

Peterborough, UK

#17 Aug 19, 2013
I have this problem too and noticed its since I've been sitting in the floor with my legs underneath me. I have a 1 year old and been playing on the floor with her everyday since she was about 3 months. Have any if you guys come to a conclusion or got a cure? I'd love some advice!
Kelly wrote:
Yes! I started to think this must be it for me too! I sit at my desk on a leather chair very frequently with my foot tucked under me. Usually my right more than my left and this skin condition is thicker on my right ankle. I think this must be it. I am also pregnant and thought it was hormones but I also realized I didn't start sitting that way until I became pregnant and it's the most comfortable right now. I will try sitting differently and see if it goes away! Glad to hear you might think its the same thing.
<quoted text>
Vennie

Plymouth, MI

#18 Sep 4, 2013
I am 46 years old and started noticing the skin darkening on the top of my feet right after my ankles. It started out with a small on the top of my feet over a year ago, but now most of the top of my feet are dark now and the skin feels very rough & thick. Don't like to wear skirts or shorts anymore, because it's embarrassing. Dermatologist think it may be something called Ichthyosis, but was not sure if this. I'm still searching for answers. I really wish someone can figure out what this is and what is causing it.
Jonathan

Black Canyon City, AZ

#19 Sep 28, 2013
I think I found something that is working ...

I can't remember when I got the rough dark patch on the top between my foot and ankle, left foot. I tried every type of cream, but it didn't help. The dry heat in Arizona didn't help. I started soaking some toilet paper with Apple Cider Vinegar, which really helped stop the itching and flaking. I would put it on at night and take it off in the morning. Now it's smoother, and not flaky or itchy, but it's still darker, my wife says it looks pink. The skin also looks rough, maybe from scarring, not sure. And when I press on it turn white and then the blood comes back and makes it dark pink. Also I've felt my left leg restless and like I need to keep stretching it, which I have been and it's been helping.

Other things I've done that may have helped:

stopped drinking coffee, soda, too many carbs or meat and started to focus on eating alkanizing foods. I also have been flossing very regularly. I've also been excercising to increase my circulation, been excercising almost everyday. And lastly, every morning I've been drinking apple cider vinegar with raw honey (two teaspoons, 1 teaspoon of raw honey, and fill with purified water, stir). The only thing I need to figure out now is how to get the skin to stop being so dark ... I'm thinking of using "Concha de Nacar" or conche cream which is great for getting rid of scars. I'll bookmark this website and provide update. Please let me know what is working for you all.

Jonathan
SR JSR

Hyderabad, India

#20 Oct 6, 2013
I too have it on my right ankle. It started 2 years agaon during winter with tiny dark spots and increased ever since. My doctor advised Urosone cream,'regular' application just made it soft and improved the colour by a shade. Nothing beyond that however, if I ever forgot to apply the cream even once, it goes back to the way it was.
Though, dipping the foot in warm water and cleansing it with lemon peel and a good scrub does improve it, but is short lived.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dermatology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tiny, painless wart like bumps on hands and fin... (Jul '07) 23 min elizabeth rushton 525
Severe Coccyx Itching (Mar '12) 2 hr happybunny 87
Lump on forehead (Jun '06) 6 hr Amoodyrn 684
Tender Swollen Lump near Groin Area (Oct '08) 11 hr BartholinGland 527
Red spots remain for months after baby acne on ... (Jan '07) 14 hr Jean 21
three, not raised, not itchy or irritated red s... Thu libra 1
Small clear callous-like bumps on hand and finger (Jan '07) Thu cody 695
Penis skin irritation -- already diagnosed as n... (Mar '08) Jul 26 Anonymous 1,749
Zits with a hard white mass. (and I mean hard) (Apr '07) Jul 18 Victor ibiks 156
More from around the web