Dentist in Costa Rica
KDunn

Montclair, NJ

#7662 Mar 5, 2016
I've never posted on here before but feel like I need to add to this because I am one of those people who had a HORRENDOUS experience with the first CR dentist I saw (because I didn't do great research on relied only on names that I heard the most frequently). It turned out they simply paid more for advertising than others. I want to add that I am NOT talking about the dentists that are spoke of most frequently on here..I am talking about those that come up in searches. So, I am NOT bashing the popular dentists people are referring to. I just want to add an additional name of the dentist that I saw who was just unbelievable, and who, along with his father, has a 4 year specialty training completed in the US, above his regular DDS . For me, it really boiled down to finding someone who was US trained, in a specialty (prosthodontics), and it just so happens the dentist I saw also taught at Ohio State. So, his English was excellent and the clinic was very familiar in environment. I am posting below the link for the review that I wrote for the website that I was finally referred to by someone ( an expat running a business in San Jose) who assured me that they checked out the credentials of all those listed. So, if you want another option, I suggest you look into Kriebel Dental in San Jose ( I do not receive any money, kickbacks, accolades, etc for this post..they simply did an unbelievable job). And here is why (and feel free to email me for further info): see full review at: http://www.medicaltourismcostarica.com/item/k...
Without a doubt, Kriebel Dental is the BEST dental facility I have EVER been to ANYWHERE that I have lived, including six states in the US, Japan, The Netherlands and Mexico. Across the board, I have never encountered such a stellar combination of attributes in one dentist: Scholar-level education and training, polished, adept and PAINLESS clinical skills, experience borne from a 100-year lineage of dentists, and unparalleled, patient-centered treatment ethics. Bar none, Kriebel Dental is in a league of their own.

Since: Sep 10

Syracuse, NY

#7663 Mar 6, 2016
Patnj wrote:
Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences. I am now down to Obando and Prada.
Those of you that have been through the process understand the anxiety in choosing the right dentist. These are the only two I haven't seen any complaints on.
Dr. Prada called me to talk about what I wanted right away but his quote is much hogher than Nova. Saying that he has added services that I have allready received. So I'll continue my conversation with him.
I'm looking to go in May.
Any other comments or experiences shared are appreciated.
One question, is sedation really necessary? I have allready had all my teeth chiseled down here so its just a matter of impressions and implants.
In addition I want to have 4 more implants. I don't like to be put ro sleep or have IV's put in my arm. Anyone else do this work without sedation?
Thanks
Patty
I didn't have IV sedation, I took a pill at the dentists office 30 minutes prior to surgery, the dentist provided it and I have no idea what it was, and that provided more than enough sedation

Since: Aug 14

Hayesville North carolina

#7664 Mar 7, 2016
KDunn wrote:
I've never posted on here before but feel like I need to add to this because I am one of those people who had a HORRENDOUS experience with the first CR dentist I saw (because I didn't do great research on relied only on names that I heard the most frequently). It turned out they simply paid more for advertising than others. I want to add that I am NOT talking about the dentists that are spoke of most frequently on here..I am talking about those that come up in searches. So, I am NOT bashing the popular dentists people are referring to. I just want to add an additional name of the dentist that I saw who was just unbelievable, and who, along with his father, has a 4 year specialty training completed in the US, above his regular DDS . For me, it really boiled down to finding someone who was US trained, in a specialty (prosthodontics), and it just so happens the dentist I saw also taught at Ohio State. So, his English was excellent and the clinic was very familiar in environment. I am posting below the link for the review that I wrote for the website that I was finally referred to by someone ( an expat running a business in San Jose) who assured me that they checked out the credentials of all those listed. So, if you want another option, I suggest you look into Kriebel Dental in San Jose ( I do not receive any money, kickbacks, accolades, etc for this post..they simply did an unbelievable job). And here is why (and feel free to email me for further info): see full review at: http://www.medicaltourismcostarica.com/item/k...
Without a doubt, Kriebel Dental is the BEST dental facility I have EVER been to ANYWHERE that I have lived, including six states in the US, Japan, The Netherlands and Mexico. Across the board, I have never encountered such a stellar combination of attributes in one dentist: Scholar-level education and training, polished, adept and PAINLESS clinical skills, experience borne from a 100-year lineage of dentists, and unparalleled, patient-centered treatment ethics. Bar none, Kriebel Dental is in a league of their own.
Thank you for your review.Although I haven't heard of Kriebel dentists I believe you when you heap on the praise.I also would have my CR dentist(Cavallini)work on me than the most expensive dentist in Beverly Hills.The total health care system in CR is excellent..
SoCal

Rosemead, CA

#7665 Mar 7, 2016
Hi All,
Just got my 1st cleaning today from my U.S. dentist. I did not say where I got my crowns and bridges done. He commented "you must have spent a fortune on your mouth" Which, I did.... but I was still curious if the work was good or bad. Well, Dr. Au, said " they did a great job and it looks very nice, whoever did your work" So all is good and my crowns took a long time to calm down and not be so touchy to temp and hard foods. I can eat nuts,steak,apples..... Hot coffee does not hurt any more nor does a cold soda. So thanks to my 2 Costa Rican Dentist, Dr. Obando, Nova Dental who did Phase 1 and Dr. Marco, Cavillini Clinic who did Phase 2. If you read back some you will know my situation and why I had to go to the 2 different clinics. People here will always and I mean ALWAYS help you if it is ask for. I still would tell all to really do you own research first and foremost. Do your HOMEWORK!!!! or just ask Chicago Dave:} Hey Dave what is up??? Doing well and wishing all a safe journey!
SoCal.

Since: Oct 14

Rosemead, CA

#7666 Mar 7, 2016
Sorry forgot to log in.... Yes it is really me SoCalDude626 who just posted above.

Since: Mar 15

Portland, OR

#7667 Mar 8, 2016
Nynana wrote:
<quoted text>Just wanted to check in with you. I know you are all done now . Hope everything turned out great. Are you happy with the finished product. Thank you for sharing your experience it was a great help to me.Best of luck with your new smile.
Doreen
Hi Doreen,

Sorry for the delay, but I got back in the States on the 3rd and getting settled in... I'm so glad what little I've contributed has helped you!

I'm absolutely thrilled with the finished product - I've asked a co-worker, who is a pro photographer to take my picture. I can't remember the last time I actually wanted my picture taken!

Getting lots of compliments from folks at work, some of them truly happy for me and my new smile.

Looking forward to connecting with RJ and showing him the finished product and perhaps I can figure out a way to share my before and after pics with you guys.

Chao

Jeff
Schroonloon

Schroon Lake, NY

#7668 Mar 8, 2016
Nynana wrote:
<quoted text>
I just returned from cr. I was there 2 weeks. I arrived on 2/6 had a consultation with Dr Prada. I also had a failed bridge.On 2/8 I had 5 extractions and 9 implants placed. I did have some bruising and swelling but tolerable. I also had gum flap surgery. I was given a partial upper denture. I will return in July to finish with zirconium bridge and full mouth crowns. I will say the denture is the worst part. I paid in cash with a bank transfer. On my next trip I will be staying 2 and a half weeks. I wanted to make sure I had enough time to get the bite right for the finished product. The dr's really work with you on the amount of time you will need to be there. Best of luck
Doreen
I'm in a very similar situation and agree with you that the denture is the worst part. I find wearing them exhausting. I am counting the minutes until I can return to Costa Rica in November for my permanent crowns.
Chris

San José, Costa Rica

#7669 Mar 9, 2016
Schroonloon wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm in a very similar situation and agree with you that the denture is the worst part. I find wearing them exhausting. I am counting the minutes until I can return to Costa Rica in November for my permanent crowns.
Did they tell you at Prada that you would have to wear dentures for several months?

Did they offer any other option at Prada?
Schroonloon

Schroon Lake, NY

#7670 Mar 9, 2016
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Did they tell you at Prada that you would have to wear dentures for several months?
I went to Dr Obando at Nova Dental. He didn't give me other options. I also wasn't given options at the other clinics I contacted which included Meza and Mario Garita.

Since: Aug 14

Hayesville North carolina

#7671 Mar 9, 2016
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr Cavallini sent me home with fixed teeth temporaries that probably would of lasted for years.i was very happy with them and they didn't look as good as my permanent crowns but they looked good.When they were taking out my temp teeth for my crowns they loosened an implant that Ithey had to replace
Nynana

West Babylon, NY

#7672 Mar 9, 2016
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
As you will see in Rod's blog , he was given immediate load temporary full bridge. In my case Dr Prada thought it would be best to use the partial denture until the implants could osseintergrate. I will need to wear it until I return in July to finish the work. For me I wasn't thrilled about it, but I do understand that it is best for a successful outcome.
LaStars

Salmon Arm, Canada

#7673 Mar 10, 2016
When doing research you need to acknowledge problems can arise from receiving dental implants.

I came across a blog iweardentures.com where Kristi shares videos of her experience over a few years. She had her work done in a different state, not country, however these issues are a possibility for anyone going through this process.

Here she explains her predicament when her hybrid denture becomes loose...
http://youtu.be/b8nFCLHXiIE
http://youtu.be/hQieov1RItc
And the story continues with more explanations in video form.(I have not watched all)

I have mentioned that Dr Anglada gave me 'off' brand implants (SCHUTZ) although he reassured me up and down that I could go anywhere in USA or Canada and have work done "no problem".
I have been trying to resolve my issues and get my work completed for >>>over 3 months inquiring with many dentists in 3 different countries (I will not go to Castro, Anglada's partner) and am still waiting to receive a go ahead so I can book my plane ticket and get permanent teeth!!!

please understand that anyone can have problems with implants so you need to know your implants will be compatible/common place with a local dentist!!

I received two implants (locally) 20 years ago and they are holding strong...HOWEVER....after 15 years one of the crowns came loose, this is not uncommon. It was a quick trip to the dentist and about 3/4 Hr of my time.
If you have 'off brand' implants and you have a similar issue, or any issue, what will happen??
Will a local dentist be able to fix things? Will you have the ability to immediately just pack up and fly back to CR, will you have money for such an event?

MAKE SURE YOU GET A COMMON IMPLANT TYPE AND GET YOUR WARRANTY IN WRITING!!
biteimpared

Arecibo, Puerto Rico

#7674 Mar 10, 2016
Donna WG wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr Cavallini sent me home with fixed teeth temporaries that probably would of lasted for years.i was very happy with them and they didn't look as good as my permanent crowns but they looked good.When they were taking out my temp teeth for my crowns they loosened an implant that they had to replace
Same here, I was dreading the thought of coming back with yet another set of dentures. I did not have to tell the doctors any thing, they just did what they do best, mouth restorations. They used a combination of immediate and delayed load implants. I came back with fully functional, good looking fixed temps, I did not have to pay extra for the work. Other clinics did not offer me that option, instead, they wanted me to pay ad additional $3,000 for fixed dentures. Total cost of 4 sets of temps 15 implants and 26 e max crowns $17,100. The final result, priceless. Sal F.
See my work here: SalFPR.blogspot.com

Since: Aug 15

Location hidden

#7675 Mar 10, 2016
LaStars wrote:
When doing research you need to acknowledge problems can arise from receiving dental implants.
I came across a blog iweardentures.com where Kristi shares videos of her experience over a few years. She had her work done in a different state, not country, however these issues are a possibility for anyone going through this process.
Here she explains her predicament when her hybrid denture becomes loose...
http://youtu.be/b8nFCLHXiIE
http://youtu.be/hQieov1RItc
And the story continues with more explanations in video form.(I have not watched all)
I have mentioned that Dr Anglada gave me 'off' brand implants (SCHUTZ) although he reassured me up and down that I could go anywhere in USA or Canada and have work done "no problem".
I have been trying to resolve my issues and get my work completed for >>>over 3 months inquiring with many dentists in 3 different countries (I will not go to Castro, Anglada's partner) and am still waiting to receive a go ahead so I can book my plane ticket and get permanent teeth!!!
please understand that anyone can have problems with implants so you need to know your implants will be compatible/common place with a local dentist!!
I received two implants (locally) 20 years ago and they are holding strong...HOWEVER....after 15 years one of the crowns came loose, this is not uncommon. It was a quick trip to the dentist and about 3/4 Hr of my time.
If you have 'off brand' implants and you have a similar issue, or any issue, what will happen??
Will a local dentist be able to fix things? Will you have the ability to immediately just pack up and fly back to CR, will you have money for such an event?
MAKE SURE YOU GET A COMMON IMPLANT TYPE AND GET YOUR WARRANTY IN WRITING!!
LaStars,

I see that Schütz has a presence in the U.S.:

https://www.facebook.com/Schutz-Dental-USA-16...

It appears that they have a distributor in the U.S.

http://www.sdginnovations.com/index.html

It may pay to contact them to see if they can refer you to dentist near you who uses their implant system if you don't want to travel to Costa Rica.

The implant procedure is pretty standardized across brands. The limiting factor for dentist availability is the tool kit that is customized to each brand. I don't think a broken crown would be an issue, because repair only requires a new impression of the abutment. It doesn't matter what brand the implant is to place a crown over it. So if the implant is not defective, I don't think that comes into play.

It looks like Schütz has been around for a long time,(50 years). And apart from the Volkswagon emissions fiasco, German engineering is a usually a positive factor when purchasing technology because they are very good at it. So I'm don't think implant quality will become an issue.

Good Luck.

TI
Seahorse15

Milton, Canada

#7676 Mar 10, 2016
La stars,
I have been following your posts as 3 members of my family were in the midst of having work done by Drs. Anglada & Castro. We have just returned from our second trip to Costa Rica. While two of us got some minor work done (including shutz implants), one of us had received 14 implants during our first trip. We found Dr. Anglada to be incredibly skilled as a dental surgeon and an ethical individual who takes a lot of pride in his work and care towards his patients.
Before making our decision on which dentist to go with, I read a lot of posts on forums like this one. There was not a single negative remark of this scale against both the above mentioned doctors. In fact, they were well acclaimed.
I believe in one of your posts, you mentioned Anglada was more about the $$$. Well, in our experience, we had discussed pricing with Dr. Anglada months before we actually could make the first trip. By this time, even though the price for each implant had gone up, he only charged us what was originally discussed. We had also opted for mini implants (which were highly recommended so that they would hold the patient's old dentures in place while protecting the newly placed implants from the risk of overloading). During the surgery, Dr. Anglada ended up placing extra minis as he saw fit and at no extra cost. Additionally, one of us had a somewhat complicated extraction and grafting done, for which Dr. Anglada did not charge for the extraction.(This will never happen in Canada or US).
On our second trip we mainly encountered Dr. Castro and team of technicians. Dr. Castro is simply amazing. He too is very skilled and experienced!! He goes about his work very patiently and truly lives up to his 'maestro' reputation. Needless to say he and his team did an outstanding job placing crowns & partials over the 14 implants. We are still in the process of observing to see if any issues crop up with the crowns/partials. So far we've not had any issues.
We found Dr. Anglada and Dr. Castro make a strong, solid team. Both work tirelessly towards their patients' well being. We found them both (in their own way) to be incredibly ethical and compassionate towards their clients. They both work diligently in the day and, more often than not, they spend time in the evenings and nights answering patient enquiries.
It really is unfortunate that you have to go through this ordeal. No one deserves to suffer like that. If you feel inclined to, please don't hesitate in reconsidering Dr. Castro. Note: although Dr. Castro partners with Dr. Anglada for the purpose of providing complementary services, Dr. Castro works independently and has his own team.
Lastly, you mentioned Dr. Anglada lied to you that dentists in Canada should have no issues working on Shutz implants. To this I have the following two points to make:
a) I have to agree with TI's post above. Dentists should have no problems working on this brand. The Shutz implants also go by the name IMPLA and are manufactured in the US.
b) While a) is the most relevant point, I also truly feel - if you were that conscience about the brand working in Canada/US as well, you may have done your own research as well.
The two of us who had minor work done by Dr. Anglada, received Shutz implants. We were given the option to buy the crown parts while in Costa Rica. We did so and if we don't manage to go back to Costa Rica, we will be looking for a local dentist to fit the crowns in for us.
You had mentioned Dr. Anglada was trying to help you (by calling up various dentists) to find a local dentist who would complete your work in Canada-which, I thought that was a rather nice gesture considering everything. Looks like no dentist is willing to take the liability probably due to legal considerations.
I really hope things get resolved for you quickly.
All the best!

Since: Mar 16

Salmon Arm, Canada

#7677 Mar 11, 2016
..."The limiting factor for dentist availability is the tool kit that is customized to each brand"....

This is indeed an issue. Far more then a crown replacement can be at stake. the screw came loose with the old crown after 15 years (not Anglada's work); if that had been a SCHUTZ implant what would I do??

There are some SCHUTZ implant parts made in USA (Zest near San Diego, I believe), however they are sent to Germany and can only be purchased through SCHUTZ in Germany.
I will also say SCHUTZ IS HORRIFICLY BAD ABOUT RESPONDING TO DENTISTS/PEOPLE THAT TRY TO CONTACT THEM. I being one of 5 that have tried to get info or any response from them, the others being dentists. That is what is holding things up at this point, Dr Prada can not get a response from the SCHUTZ representative to find out what costs will be. This has been going on for MONTHS , different dentists getting new bits of info, and alas, I'm STILL waiting for answers and to book to get work done!!

As far as quality goes, it doesn't matter if they are made of diamonds if you can't get the work done.

Thank you for the SCHUTZ contact I will see if I can make any headway there, however, I can't imagine I will have more success or ability then the staff at Dr Prada's office.
...~*~...
Temporary Interloper wrote:
<quoted text>
LaStars,
I see that Schütz has a presence in the U.S.:
https://www.facebook.com/Schutz-Dental-USA-16...
It appears that they have a distributor in the U.S.
http://www.sdginnovations.com/index.html
It may pay to contact them to see if they can refer you to dentist near you who uses their implant system if you don't want to travel to Costa Rica.
The implant procedure is pretty standardized across brands. The limiting factor for dentist availability is the tool kit that is customized to each brand. I don't think a broken crown would be an issue, because repair only requires a new impression of the abutment. It doesn't matter what brand the implant is to place a crown over it. So if the implant is not defective, I don't think that comes into play.
It looks like Schütz has been around for a long time,(50 years). And apart from the Volkswagon emissions fiasco, German engineering is a usually a positive factor when purchasing technology because they are very good at it. So I'm don't think implant quality will become an issue.
Good Luck.
TI

Salmon Arm, Canada

#7678 Mar 11, 2016
Looks like my posts are not making on to topix.
I did respond to the last 2.
This forum is constantly freezing on me and I'm having difficulties reading and posting.
lastars@icloud.com

Salmon Arm, Canada

#7679 Mar 11, 2016
Seahorse15
A) I speak from real Life experiences, you are making assumptions.
B) yes, wouldn't it be dandy to research the implants beforehand like I did with the two mentioned on the website. How do you expect me to research something that I have never heard of until the day after surgery?? In the scores of emails, the website information and in person, NEVER did dr Anglada mention the word SCHUTZ.

SCHUTZ has some parts made in the USA, zest in San Diego, I believe, however they are not permitted to sell, one must go through SCHUTZ, Germany....whom are impossibly slow to respond...if....they respond at all, to me or numerous dentists.

Yes, all the best to you!!
Seahorse15

Milton, Canada

#7680 Mar 11, 2016
LaStars wrote:
Seahorse15
A) I speak from real Life experiences, you are making assumptions.
B) yes, wouldn't it be dandy to research the implants beforehand like I did with the two mentioned on the website. How do you expect me to research something that I have never heard of until the day after surgery?? In the scores of emails, the website information and in person, NEVER did dr Anglada mention the word SCHUTZ.
SCHUTZ has some parts made in the USA, zest in San Diego, I believe, however they are not permitted to sell, one must go through SCHUTZ, Germany....whom are impossibly slow to respond...if....they respond at all, to me or numerous dentists.
Yes, all the best to you!!
La Stars,

I am sorry, I assumed you were aware of the Shutz brand prior to surgery.

Initially we had short listed Drs. Anglada/Castro, as well as Dr. Obando (NOVA). In our experience with both, they mentioned the implant brand at the very onset of the discussions.

"Yes, all the best to you!!" --REALLY???

Salmon Arm, Canada

#7681 Mar 11, 2016
I contacted the SCHUTZ info provided by TI and it is official,
...SCHUTZ is NOT approved in USA or Canada....
The fellow, John, I believe it was, said that in the past he had been able to sometimes supply parts but can no longer do that and one must contact SCHUTZ in Germany.
So I've circled around and none the further ahead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dentistry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nano Spy mind control Implants being put in wit... (Jan '16) Dec 5 OMG 30
Nano Implant laws including...... SPY CHIPS! (Feb '16) Dec 2 hhgytu 37
News Dental implants done right first time (Oct '17) Oct '18 dentsma 2
News Oklahoma patients to receive free dental servic... (Oct '17) Oct '18 benjoseph 3
News Prosthodontics program donates dentures to needy Oct '18 Vicky8877 1
News Nearly 1 in 5 people in Halton have never tried... Aug '18 expensive in Canada 1
News Executive Q&A with Glenn Ashmore: Dental Depot ... (Apr '18) Apr '18 Jorge the Illegal 2