recovery problems following colon resection

Posted in the Colon & Rectal Surgery Forum

marilyn

Parkersburg, WV

#1 Feb 27, 2010
How do you manage constipation following colo-rectal surgery. Is it normal to be so miserable with abdominal pressure and frequent bouts of loose stools?
kristy

State College, PA

#2 Mar 1, 2010
Marilyn, I had colo-rectal resection on Thursday, and I am experiencing the same symptoms...I swear there is a baby inside of me moving sometimes! Maybe we can connect and walk through this recovery together. The doc gave me milk of mag in hospital and said I could have it at home, so I took a half dose this am; we'll see what that does
Sandy

Largo, FL

#3 Oct 5, 2010
Had prolapse surgery 2 years ago,looks like it may happen again. Had an illeoscopy bag for 12 weeks it was reversed found a better Dr.I'm afraid to do this again........

Since: Jul 11

Provo, UT

#4 Jul 17, 2011
I am open for anyone that can share their experience -- Eight weeks ago I had surgery for a redundant colon...they took 55 cm of my small colon when they did the resection on my left side. I have a lot of pain when I eat and pain when I have a BM. I am exhausted and sleep when I am not working. I am passing maroon colored stools. I had to have another colonoscopy. I was told that my anastomosis isn't healing and that is the source of the blood I am passing...so, now what? I was told not to get constipated so I take Citrucel in the morning and at night. The pain is out of control today. It radiates on my lower left side from the front to the back. Has anyone had this problem. Does the anastomosis heal on it's own?

Since: Jul 11

Provo, UT

#5 Jul 17, 2011
marilyn wrote:
How do you manage constipation following colo-rectal surgery. Is it normal to be so miserable with abdominal pressure and frequent bouts of loose stools?
I had surgery 8 weeks ago. I take citrucel twice a day to keep everything moving ok. It all depends what I eat---how long ago was your surgery?
kim

Perth, Australia

#6 Jan 10, 2012
joy11 wrote:
<quoted text>
I had surgery 8 weeks ago. I take citrucel twice a day to keep everything moving ok. It all depends what I eat---how long ago was your surgery?

Is anyone losing weight after their colon operation ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Colon & Rectal Surgery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
J. Mark Maddox Joins CenCal Health as Chief Med... Jul '14 TBal 1
Dr. Craig Amshel, MD Opens New Office in Sun Ci... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Nancy 1
rectal spasms (Oct '13) Oct '13 Tam 1
Using a power plate after bowel surgery (Jul '13) Jul '13 Steve Powell 2
How to find a hole in the Bowel (May '13) May '13 Angela 1
bowel problems over the last 10 years (Oct '06) Apr '13 mark Vincent hogden 10
Ventrus Biosciences Announces Poster Presentati... (Mar '13) Mar '13 3dempty 1
More from around the web