Locals asked to urge hospital coopera...

Locals asked to urge hospital cooperation - Fort Morgan Times

There are 8 comments on the Fort Morgan Times story from Mar 19, 2011, titled Locals asked to urge hospital cooperation - Fort Morgan Times. In it, Fort Morgan Times reports that:

A call has gone out urging Morgan County residents to contact local hospital board members and to take other measures to get medical corporations to collaborate in making area health care better.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fort Morgan Times.

Jeremy Engdahl-Johnson

Seattle, WA

#2 Mar 20, 2011
Latest in our droid series -- Big healthcare reform question: How do health insurers set rates? http://www.healthcaretownhall.com/...
right

New York, NY

#3 Mar 20, 2011
So we should demand not to have local choices for our health care? People will go out of town and spend money do to lack of choice in local shopping. This sounds like a bad idea to me.
Thinking

Butte, MT

#4 Mar 21, 2011
Let the free market reign.
Malediction

Colorado Springs, CO

#5 Mar 21, 2011
This is a case of well-intentioned central planners with a dubious solution in search of a non-existent problem. As M. Bradshaw clearly states, both organizations are doing well financially and "have no incentive to change." So why should they? If local consumers wanted them to change, they would have already changed. One of them would have gone out of business, or changed their business model to better compete. Apparently, everyone in this equation, including local consumers, is happy. Markets are very efficient that way. What the council is arguing for is effectively a cartel, admittedly on a minor scale.

This board is asking two entities engaged in healthy (excuse the pun) competition to cooperate, that is, collude, and telling the public that their interests will be better served as a result. Personally, I doubt it. The council is complaining about redundant equipment and services. All competitive enterprises are redundant. GM and Toyota do not share factory lines, for example. Instead, they try everything in their power to put each other out of business. That's what leads to efficiency, lower costs, and happier consumers. All other things equal, if two hospitals offer MRIs and one of them stops, at the margin, what would you expect to happen to the price of an MRI?

I don't understand what urge possesses people who think they can out-think a functioning market and force a better outcome for consumers. We need MORE competition in healthcare, not less. We actually have laws that prevent collusion between competitors to stop the destructive effects of "cooperation." This applies to software companies, cigarette stores, lawyers, car manufacturers and cable-TV companies. Why not hospitals? And now this anti-competitive urge has been legislated into Obama-care, which, if allowed to stand, will give other well-intentioned central planners the power to force such cooperation on hospitals with the power of law.

The council identified the problem with higher insurance costs in Morgan County almost a year ago and said they "needed to understand" it. I still don't see an explanation for that here. It seems to me that solving that particular problem would be more productive than asking locals to bully the hospitals into a specious cooperation agreement.
Kim Dudden

Fort Morgan, CO

#6 Mar 21, 2011
Morgan and Brush have been fighting this battle for years and the fact is Morgan doesn't want to merge, Brush is in favor of merging. It would only make good sense to hav one large hospital for both towms. I agree the cost of equipment is sky high and think of the money that woild be saved with one hospital. They could have a larger baby suite and combining Drs. only makes sense. But once again Morgan doesn't want to, so I guess we are stuck with two hospitals instead of making one cost friendly one.
Carol

Nashville, TN

#7 Mar 24, 2011
I live in Brush but I go to Fort Morgan for all of my medical needs. I do not like EMCH nor some of their physicians. Why can't we go where we want to go. Its been this way for years so why try to change. It is our personal preference. Leave us alone and do not expect us to rally for change. Brush is in favor of merging because their ER does not have a physician on call all of the time. They are not a trauma center like CPMC. Most likely if you were critical you would be transfered out to another facility anyway. Why not save yourself the time and effort and just go to the Level 3 Trauma Center at CPMC.... Wake up Morgan County........
heim

Seychelles

#8 Feb 1, 2012
vis in favor of merging because their ER does not have a physician on call all of the time. They are not a trauma center like CPMC. Most likely if you were critical you would be transfered out to another facility anyway. Why not save yourself the time and effort and just go to the Level 3 Tra
cret

Germany

#10 Feb 1, 2012
wonder our nursing homes are in such horrid condition? Scraping the bottom of the barrel, the ex gf called in three times during orientation, and yet..........Rolling Hills is so desperate for nurses in their subpar facility they overlooked this. Anywhere else, wonder our nursing homes are in such horrid condition? Scraping the bottom of the barrel, the ex gf called in three times during orientation, and yet..........Rolling Hills is so desperate for nurses in their subpar facility they overlooked this. Anywhere else,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cardiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cardiologists, Veterinarian Work Together to Fi... (May '15) Jun 20 Big Al 6
contribution of the left auricle and of the ven... Jun 20 garry 2
Interpreting results of nuclear stress test (Jan '11) Jun 9 Sue 13
Mr Heart May '16 Echo 2
News Southcoast Health touts heart implant procedure... May '16 Patty 1
News Are you an apple or a pear? Your shape may dete... Apr '16 night rider 1
Sinus Tachycardia (Dec '15) Apr '16 MartyWhite 2
More from around the web