Impacted cerumen and conductive heari...

Impacted cerumen and conductive hearing loss

Posted in the Audiology Forum

WeenSP

Sydney, Australia

#1 Oct 1, 2011
Hey. Im actually a speech pathology student but need a bit of help with an audiology case study.
A client has a bilateral, mild, low frequency conductive hearing loss,consistent with impacted cerumen found on her otoscopic examination.
After this has been treated the client still has a bilateral, mild, low frequency conductive hearing loss .
So i guess my question is to what degree can impacted cerumen affect hearing and with the condition treated, would her hearing levels (dB) drop towards normal limits by what degree? 10? eg. 35dB at 250Hz to 25dB at 250Hz?
I have had some trouble finding literature regarding the degree, understanding that is generally a case by case thing.
King Chung

Lisle, IL

#2 Aug 11, 2013
Impacted cerumen are reported to create negligible amount of conductive hearing loss (<=10 dB) in approximately 20% of patients, 11-20 dB of hearing loss in approximately 50% of patients, and 21-30 dB of hearing loss in 30% of patients (Subha & Raman, 2006).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barely Used VNG equipment for sale (Feb '10) Aug 24 Lisa G 58
News Hearing tests, hearing aids, and Medicare (Aug '14) Aug 17 Raylin 11
News Group helps those with rare disorders Jul '15 Vaccine Nightingale 6
Used ENG/VNG equipment for sale Jul '15 Lisa 2
Hearing Aids Jul '15 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Hearing aid users can now fine-tune their devic... Jun '15 Gerald Vonberger 2
News This is Sami and she lives with Trigeminal Neur... Jun '15 Lorraine Burgess 1
More from around the web