Why wearing helmets while riding motorcycles can lead to hearing loss

There are 2 comments on the AndhraNews story from Jul 30, 2011, titled Why wearing helmets while riding motorcycles can lead to hearing loss. In it, AndhraNews reports that:

It had earlier been indicated that motorcycle helmets, while protecting bikers' brains, may also contribute to hearing loss, but why this happens was unknown, until now.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AndhraNews.

raragtime

Woodstock, GA

#1 Jul 30, 2011
I have been wearing a helmet each time I ride. In fact, I won't sit on my bike without one. However, my ears began to ring caused by the buffering and wind noise.
I went to a audiologist. She is a biker. She told me that wind noise with out a helmet will do as much damage as wearing one.
She suggested a pair of ear plugs that allow sound to come through, but not more than 67db. That is a safe level. I got a pair ($100), and now wear them each time I ride. The ringing in my ears has decreased a lot. However, if I ride without those plugs the ringing returns to the same level it was before the plugs.
These plugs allow my music from in helmet speakers, and I can hear vehicles, horns, sirens, people talking, etc. I highly recommend getting a pair.

Since: Aug 11

Pittsburgh, PA

#2 Aug 4, 2011
How this is possible? How can it lead to hearing loss?

Thanks,
http://www.leprechaun-software.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audiology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barely Used VNG equipment for sale (Feb '10) May 14 ijeremy7 53
News Hearing tests, hearing aids, and Medicare (Aug '14) May 6 Ronsy 10
News Audiologist Offers Free Hearing Aids (Apr '13) Apr 29 kody 4
Hearing Aid Apr '15 Angela K 2
Hearing Loss Apr '15 bryanflake1984 1
Used ENG/VNG equipment for sale Mar '15 hearwellevanston 1
News Maintenance of hearing aid devices ensures they... Mar '15 walkerwilliam 2
More from around the web