Doctor: Acupuncture works by 'placebo effect'

Oct 14, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Hattiesburg American

Q. I remember from reading your past columns that you're no fan of acupuncture. I ran across the enclosed article; 'Acupuncture Works for Back Pain' and wondered if you would care to comment. via Hattiesburg American

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6

Since: Sep 07

Laramie, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

I, for one, am a firm believer in accupuncture. I think that just because you are a traditionally trained, Western medicine doctor, doesn't mean you should limit the possibilities of what can actually help heal a patient.
Samantha

Georgetown, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2007

I agree with you MellyMel.

Acupuncture is a great adjunct to conventional medical treatment.

We have doctors here in Australia who study both conventional and alternative medicine and can treat patients with whatever approach they feel would work the best for the patient.
interestedReader

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Interesting comment by the doctor about how the more invasive and expensive a treatment option is, the more of a placebo effect it will have. If that was the case, surgery should have a 100% cure rate.

Contrary to what you claim, acupuncture does not involve a very uncomfortable procedure of inserting hundreds of needles. It is a very gentle technique that involves the insertion of as little as 1 and usually no more than 20 almost hair thin needles just below the surface of the skin. Many patients, in fact, find this to be a very relaxing experience and fall asleep during treatment.

I do not argue with the effectiveness of Western medicine, but find it to be very narrow minded when its practitioners criticize other modalities that they obviously know very little about.
joliegirl777

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

I have had acupuncture and loved it ! It helped with the pain I was experiencing and my energy level returned. I think that health insurance companies should cover acupuncture if they really wanted to cut their expenses. When I was an employee there, I even suggested to Forrest General Hospital of a way to help their employees with the health insurance was to also allow coverage for acupuncture, accupressure, chiropractic treatment, and other holistic type healthcare treatments.
joliegirl777

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2007

mellymel21384 wrote:
I, for one, am a firm believer in accupuncture. I think that just because you are a traditionally trained, Western medicine doctor, doesn't mean you should limit the possibilities of what can actually help heal a patient.
I agree with you. I think that there is a healthcare conspiracy in this country. With the ultimate goal being to keep people sick so they can contine to be treated and continually line the pockets of the insurance companies, and people in the medical field.
Keshawn

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Acupuncture Discussions

Search the Acupuncture Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
A local chiropractor uses pressure points to he... Tue Chiropractor From Chicago 35
Little Falls doctor doles out chiropractic and ... Apr 10 Chiropractor From Chicago 3
Are acupuncturists doctors? (Jul '09) Apr 6 Anonymous 17
free samples Hemi facial spasm- treatment by ac... (Mar '13) Apr 1 pradeep 2
Bali Spirit Festival 2014: A global celebration Mar '14 James Bond 1
Using acupuncture to treat the symptoms of hay ... (Apr '10) Mar '14 Allen 4
Blurred vision after acupuncture? (Sep '07) Mar '14 sara b 14
•••
•••
•••
•••