What Is Aromatherapy? The Theory Behind Aromatherapy

Jul 8, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Medical News Today

Editor's Choice Main Category: Complementary Medicine / Alternative Medicine Article Date: 08 Jul 2009 - 2:00 PDT Aromatherapy is a type of alternative medicine that uses essential oils and other aromatic plant compounds which are aimed at improving a person's health or mood.

Comments
1 - 20 of 206 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2013
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
david hartley

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 10, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Aromatherapy is not homeopathy; it is totally unrelated to homeopathy, the medicines are entirely unrelated, the manner of practice is entirely unrelated, the BASIC PHILOSOPHIES of the two:
you guessed it: entirely unrelated.

Topix robot: 0 out of 10 on this one.
Tim James

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Dec 17, 2009
 
Okay thank you for this information.What about Herbal Aromatherapy
http://www.herbalaromatherapy.net
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Dec 17, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Herbal aromatherapy is aroma therapy using herbs.

The entirety of aromatherapy can be summed up in this phrase: "Sometimes it's nice to smell certain things".

If a certain sent is "refreshing" to you or "calming" then by all means, sniff it.

Just don't expect it to cure you of anything but slight melancolie or minor anxiety.

Homeopathy on the other hand can be summed up in this phrase: "Let's sell them water and pretend it's medicine."

It cures absolutely nothing aside from dry mouth.

Since: Dec 09

Indonesia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Dec 18, 2009
 

Judged:

1

According to WikiPedia, Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine that uses volatile plant materials, known as essential oils, and similar aromatic compounds from plants, for the purpose of improving a person's mood, cognitive function or health. Preliminary scientific evidence is growing in all these areas.
Midwest Chiro

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Dec 18, 2009
 
Nuggin wrote:
Herbal aromatherapy is aroma therapy using herbs.
The entirety of aromatherapy can be summed up in this phrase: "Sometimes it's nice to smell certain things".
If a certain sent is "refreshing" to you or "calming" then by all means, sniff it.
Just don't expect it to cure you of anything but slight melancolie or minor anxiety.
Homeopathy on the other hand can be summed up in this phrase: "Let's sell them water and pretend it's medicine."
It cures absolutely nothing aside from dry mouth.
I agree. I took a short post graduate course on homeopathy and even used it in my practice for a few months. I felt ridiculous. What you said may offend others who practice it, but you speak the truth. As for aromatherapy, you are mostly correct. The only thing I found useful that comes close is smelling salts!
As long as we're rubbing some fur the wrong way, I would like to add the Activator to the list of techniques that I also find ridiculous--with one caveat: It works on dogs! I tried using the Activator or similar instruments and found it to be of little use on people. But for some reason my dog greatly improved when I used it.
Wisdom

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Dec 18, 2009
 
"Midwest chiro", you are correct, "activator" is a quack technique. Unfortunately, "activator" is a bizarre chiropractic technique/treatment used by more than half of all chiropractors nationwide.(as seen in chiroeconomics).

The chiropractic diaper needs to be emptied. Its nice to see a chiropractor staring to do the emptying.
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Dec 18, 2009
 
Wisdom wrote:
"Midwest chiro", you are correct, "activator" is a quack technique. Unfortunately, "activator" is a bizarre chiropractic technique/treatment used by more than half of all chiropractors nationwide.(as seen in chiroeconomics).
The chiropractic diaper needs to be emptied. Its nice to see a chiropractor staring to do the emptying.
Yeah, chiro as founded is bunk. However, somewhere along the line a few of the people said: "Hey, we could just specialize is back pain" and suddenly they had some value.

Unfortunately, many chiros are like naturopaths, in that they will advocate anything regardless of how useless it is.
HaHaHa

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Dec 18, 2009
 
Ok the golden nugget has spoken. Yeah boy! Go get them.

You are such an ignorant dummy. Where do you get your information the Idiot Institute?

Hahahahahahahahahhahahhahahaha hah

GetREAL you are correct the PILL diaper does need to be emptied I like that one

Wizzy boy go FIND NEMO hahahahahahahhaah
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Dec 18, 2009
 
HaHaHa wrote:
Ok the golden nugget has spoken. Yeah boy! Go get them.
You are such an ignorant dummy. Where do you get your information the Idiot Institute?
Hahahahahahahahahhahahhahahaha hah
GetREAL you are correct the PILL diaper does need to be emptied I like that one
Wizzy boy go FIND NEMO hahahahahahahhaah
Interesting refutation of my points in so much as you didn't actually address any of them.

That's pretty typical of supporters of this kind of bunk. If you actually had the information you wouldn't be on your side of the debate.

Get back to me when you have a point to discuss.
Midwest Chiro

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Dec 20, 2009
 
Wisdom is a quack. He obviously is an angry person and needs mental help. Wisdom knows nothing about chiropractic. Wisdom is a quack. None of his points are valid. But don't bother him--he's busy debating himself--alone!
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Dec 20, 2009
 
Midwest Chiro wrote:
Wisdom is a quack. He obviously is an angry person and needs mental help. Wisdom knows nothing about chiropractic. Wisdom is a quack. None of his points are valid. But don't bother him--he's busy debating himself--alone!
Chiro was founded on the belief that there were energy channels running through the body and that changes in the spine interrupted signals which would cause problems in lower organs.

For example, according to traditional chiro, a problem in your spleen could be fixed by adjusting your neck.

This theory fails, however, when you look at people who've had traumatic accidents which sever the spinal column.

According to traditional chiro, a minor problem in the neck can cause spleen problems therefore, a completely severing of the spinal column at the base of the neck should cause all lower organs to either cease to work, or at the very least, develop severe problems.

This, however, is simply not the case. Christopher Reeve was completely paralyzed, however he still had working organs. His heart, his intestines, his gallbladder, etc did not suddenly shut off as a result of his accident.
IMO

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Dec 20, 2009
 
Nuggin wrote:
"For example, according to traditional chiro, a problem in your spleen could be fixed by adjusting your neck.
This theory fails, however, when you look at people who've had traumatic accidents which sever the spinal column.
According to traditional chiro, a minor problem in the neck can cause spleen problems therefore, a completely severing of the spinal column at the base of the neck should cause all lower organs to either cease to work, or at the very least, develop severe problems."

Better stick with things you know about Nuggin, which obviously doesnt include health care or basic physiology. Although I am not a proponent of chiropractors who claim they can heal disease, I disagree with most of your comment above.
People with spinal cord injuries can have all kinds of organ problems. Bowel and bladder problems, cardiac problems, etc. They can also lose temperature control, proper lung funtion and immune function. It will all depend on where the damage ocurs and what components of the spinal cord remain intact.
I have no idea what kind of a background you have, but it is obviously not health care nor basic physiology.
Midwest Chiro

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Dec 20, 2009
 
IMO wrote:
Nuggin wrote:
"For example, according to traditional chiro, a problem in your spleen could be fixed by adjusting your neck.
This theory fails, however, when you look at people who've had traumatic accidents which sever the spinal column.
According to traditional chiro, a minor problem in the neck can cause spleen problems therefore, a completely severing of the spinal column at the base of the neck should cause all lower organs to either cease to work, or at the very least, develop severe problems."
Better stick with things you know about Nuggin, which obviously doesnt include health care or basic physiology. Although I am not a proponent of chiropractors who claim they can heal disease, I disagree with most of your comment above.
People with spinal cord injuries can have all kinds of organ problems. Bowel and bladder problems, cardiac problems, etc. They can also lose temperature control, proper lung funtion and immune function. It will all depend on where the damage ocurs and what components of the spinal cord remain intact.
I have no idea what kind of a background you have, but it is obviously not health care nor basic physiology.
I was about the write the same thing. Nuggin has no clue and simply came to a conclusion based on what any uninformed lay person would think. What's that saying again? "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" Applies to Nuggin, BIG TIME!
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Dec 20, 2009
 
IMO wrote:
Better stick with things you know about Nuggin, which obviously doesnt include health care or basic physiology. Although I am not a proponent of chiropractors who claim they can heal disease, I disagree with most of your comment above.
People with spinal cord injuries can have all kinds of organ problems. Bowel and bladder problems, cardiac problems, etc. They can also lose temperature control, proper lung funtion and immune function. It will all depend on where the damage ocurs and what components of the spinal cord remain intact.
You are falsely equating the theory of chiropractic magic with the real function of muscles.

Yes, a fully paralyzed person no longer has control over certain voluntary muscles.

Chiro's are talking about problems with non-voluntary organs (like the liver) which are controlled by "innate intelligence" which is "disrupted" by a kink in the spine and therefore completely shut off by a total severing of the spine.

Problems like poor circulation which arise from the person no longer using their legs are a result of... the person no longer using their legs. The same problems arise in severely obese people who's spines are perfectly functional.

That is not the sort of thing I am talking about. I am talking about chiropractic "innate intelligence" which somehow magically controls your appendix etc.
I have no idea what kind of a background you have, but it is obviously not health care nor basic physiology.
I have a great idea what kind of background you have, it's in chiropractic apologetics.
Nuggin

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Dec 20, 2009
 
Midwest Chiro wrote:
<quoted text>
I was about the write the same thing. Nuggin has no clue and simply came to a conclusion based on what any uninformed lay person would think.
Is this statement false?

"D.D. Palmer founded chiropractic in the 1890s and his son B.J. Palmer helped to expand it in the early 20th century.[9] It has two main groups: "straights", now the minority, emphasize vitalism, innate intelligence and spinal adjustments, and consider subluxations to be the leading cause of all disease;"

How about this definition from the World Chiro Alliance:

"Innate Intelligence

When you were born, your body knew exactly what to do to keep you healthy. It knew how fast your heart should beat, how often your lungs should breathe, how you should digest your food, and a million other things about its own functions. Your body knew all this because it (and every other living thing) possesses what chiropractors call Innate Intelligence. This is the knowledge our bodies are born with -- knowledge that no school can teach!

Instructions from your Innate Intelligence are sent to every organ and cell in your body. If the instructions are received and followed properly, your body is able to reach and maintain its optimum level of health.

However, if there is any interference with the transmission of those instructions the result is less-than-optimum health. Your body can no longer function normally. It is said to be in a state of "dis-ease.""

What EXACTLY is incorrect in these quotes about the founder and his philosophies?

Before you go around shooting your mouth off you might just want to learn the ABSOLUTE BASICS of your claimed profession.

If I know nothing, and I clearly know more than you, what does that say about you?

Oh, wait, that's right "midwest". I forgot, you people don't do "education".
Midwest Chiro

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Dec 20, 2009
 
So Nuggin can quote, rather, copy passages from DD Palmer. Also quote, around the same time as DD's death (1913), where doctors drained a sick person's blood to remove toxins. There's plenty of medical nonsense to go around. I can quote the Gettysburg Address. So what? And that would be a true statement. Didn't Lincoln write that? Huh? Huh?
Unless you've been in active clinical chiropractic practice and have witnessed first hand the healing benefits of chiropractic, then you should keep your mouth shut. It's possible no one will ever know for sure the exact physiological reasons why an adjustment works. It does. I know. I practice. You don't.
Nuggin sounds a lot like Wisdom/Botty (same person) who simply couldn't hack it in the real world and now has to justify their failures by desperately trying to discredit chiropractic--which is impossible. Chiropractic results speak for themselves. Results don't have to listen to numbskulls.
IMO

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Dec 20, 2009
 
Nuggin wrote:
[quote="Nuggin"]You are falsely equating the theory of chiropractic magic with the real function of muscles.
Yes, a fully paralyzed person no longer has control over certain voluntary muscles.[/quote]

No, I must disagree with you. I am not falsely equating anything, and nor did I disagree with anything you said about chiropractic (although I do disagree to some extent, I just didnt need to go there as there are plenty of DCs who will tackle these issues). You stated that people with spinal injuries have no ill effects to their organs... a blatantly false statement. Spinal injuries effect ones physiology well beyond impairing their voluntary muscles or giving them pressure sores. Let me repeat, it is not uncommon to have bowel and bladder disfunction, lung disfunction, disfunctional temperature regulation, disrupted immune function, disrupted cardiac function (probably can have gall bladder issues too, as you seem to like this organ). My assumption from your comment was that you dont know much about neuro- or basic-physiology. An assumption that is still unchallenged.
Midwest Chiro

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Dec 21, 2009
 
Notice how Wisdom, I mean Botty, I mean Wisenick (I get confused since they're one and the same) bend over backwards to discredit legitimate chiropractic techniques? The biggest threat to medicine is taking away their money. Since chiropractic works so well it has become a huge threat to medicine. So nutjobs like WisenickBotty (same person) desperately try to discredit chiropractic, acting as a medical lacky, but are unsuccessful in this futile pursuit.
Wisebottynick knows (since he IS the chiropractic expert--hahahah) that chiropractic works better than just about anything else to restore health. I know (since I just don't play a chiropractor on TV, I am one--practicing every day).
Wisenick is a quack. And an angry, jealous, frustrated quack at that. Plus Wisenick is a world class liar. Wisdom IS the ultimate liar and is void of any moral or ethical fiber. But that's what makes the world go around. I enjoy laughing at jealous idiots like Wisenick. Makes everyone else feel so much better about themselves.
Wisdom

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 21, 2009
 
Just another chiropractor defending "aromatherapy".

Bizarre indeed.
Midwest Chiro

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 21, 2009
 
Hahahaha Reciting the same mantra. Looks what lunatic/liar who's talking. "Diaper. Diaper. Diaper."
So folks, if this loser Wisdom, Botty, Allen, or whatever (same guy) can lie about this, just imagine the lies he's been spewing all along.
Wisdom is liar afterall.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Acupuncture Discussions

Search the Acupuncture Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Reflexology Offers Some Pain Relief (Apr '13) Jul 22 DevinBaker33 6
Halton Community Rehabilitation Centre Jul 20 Dr Basim Elhabashy 2
Mild Depression Treatment Doesn't Always Mean M... Jul 20 Dr Basim Elhabashy 7
No, JAMA does not now recommend chiropractic ca... Jul 20 Chiropractor from Chicago 4
Depression gets pinned with acupuncture treatment (Sep '10) Jul 18 joy 5
Allergy sufferers seek alternatives Jul 17 Chiropractor from Chicago 12
A local chiropractor uses pressure points to he... Jul 16 joy 38
•••
•••