Thousands cycle to work and school Th...

Thousands cycle to work and school Thursday

There are 17 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 8, 2010, titled Thousands cycle to work and school Thursday. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

An estimated 6,000 bicyclists took part in the 12th annual fall Santa Cruz County Bike to Work and School Day Thursday morning, a one-day event meant to encourage residents to forsake their cars during their morning and evening commutes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Crazy Realist

Santa Cruz, CA

#1 Oct 8, 2010
This is so sweet. Counting the thousands of children who ride their bikes to school every day as if it were a gleaming example of the good work of Ecology Action.

Nice way of making it look like you were successful at getting employed adults to give up their cars for a day.

Let us bask for a moment in the thing I like to call " reality ".

Bike riding is terrific. When I was a younger man I rode my bike from Eastern Washington up to Canada.

Had me a terrific time.

Of course I drove my Volvo up to Washington in the first place.

These coercive Utopians who attempt to portray the automobile as something evil drive me crazy.

I have a lovely recumbent bicycle now which I love to ride. It is a hobby, not a lifestyle.

While I concede that riding my bike is much better for me physically....I must also point out that in my life it is hard to find time to take a couple hours so that I can ride to do my shopping.

So while we read this article and feel good about the 384 adults who biked to work, and smile at the thought of thousands of children riding their bikes to school ( because they are not yet old enough to drive ) let us also remember the tens of thousands of us who drove our cars because we live in this crazy place called " reality ".

Let the hate begin.
Oaleder

Monterey, CA

#2 Oct 8, 2010
Crazy Realist wrote:
" reality ".
Let the hate begin.
You need to relax a bit.. go for a ride or something
Xlocal

Fallon, NV

#3 Oct 8, 2010
Well I know this sort of thing is huge in all of the communist countrys like China..
Lynn Gai- Santa Cruz CA

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Oct 8, 2010
Reality is this is not the normal of people using bikes to commute. Don't use these attendance numbers to make any conclusion about the ridership. This is a staged event. Nice social event.
been there

Berkeley, CA

#6 Oct 8, 2010
Xlocal wrote:
Well I know this sort of thing is huge in all of the communist countrys like China..
More people have cars in China these days (of Capitalism)....not like back in the old days when only Communist Party Officials had cars.(gray Toyotas....very plain)
not so fast

Gig Harbor, WA

#7 Oct 8, 2010
Crazy Realist wrote:

Let the hate begin.
No hate from me. I would like to suggest an idea. How about the bike elitists be provided with earth-hugging, bicycle-only govt services. Like bicycle fire department, bicycle mail and bicycle ambulance service. And when daddy's trust fund check is mailed, it should be delivered across the county by bicycle.
Wondering

San Francisco, CA

#8 Oct 8, 2010
What the hell is wrong with people. Why would you hate bicycles? You are so angry inside with yourself you have to slam the folks who got off their asses and hosted or rode their bikes?
Slow rider

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Oct 8, 2010
I am so sore. Had a nice ride from Aptos to Santa Cruz though. Glad there was a bagel and juice waiting for me. Thanks everyone for setting up the rest stations! Biking is fun. I usually take the bus and before that always drove my truck to work. If you can make biking or the bus work for you do it, if you can't don't worry about it.
Huh

Bridgeton, NJ

#10 Oct 8, 2010
They shopuld thank Al Gore and the Global Warming proponents that the event occured in what is typically the warmest/dryest month of the year and not during the winter months Dec through Mar when the tenmperatures are much lower and it wasn't raining!
Just think, if the Obaa leftists can arrange to outlaw vehicles powered by internal combustion engines and only allowed high priced electrical vehicles which need huge amounts of new electrical generating plants coupled with their exceptionally high costs they could force us all into bicycles, tri-cycles and bicyckle oowered carts commonly observed in thrid world countries throughout the world who have totalitarian Communist rulers!

And they even got some excercise burning a few calories to boot!
Huh

Bridgeton, NJ

#11 Oct 8, 2010
Lynn Gai- Santa Cruz CA wrote:
Reality is this is not the normal of people using bikes to commute. Don't use these attendance numbers to make any conclusion about the ridership. This is a staged event. Nice social event.
Better be careful what you say in public as you have critically exposed the Liberal Progressive secret that most of thier events are carfelly staged proganda events which have no real connection to comon sense reality!
right on

Berkeley, CA

#12 Oct 8, 2010
Huh wrote:
They shopuld thank Al Gore and the Global Warming proponents that the event occured in what is typically the warmest/dryest month of the year and not during the winter months Dec through Mar when the tenmperatures are much lower and it wasn't raining!
Just think, if the Obaa leftists can arrange to outlaw vehicles powered by internal combustion engines and only allowed high priced electrical vehicles which need huge amounts of new electrical generating plants coupled with their exceptionally high costs they could force us all into bicycles, tri-cycles and bicyckle oowered carts commonly observed in thrid world countries throughout the world who have totalitarian Communist rulers!
And they even got some excercise burning a few calories to boot!
...and they still use ox-cart and donkey transportation in those countries....the environmentalists (Gore-ians) would love all that natural fertilizer being dispensed.
Ken Martin

United States

#13 Oct 8, 2010
Bicycling is fun, great exercise, and thrifty.

Most people are interested in losing weight/getting fit, and improving their financial situation.

Bicycling can help accomplish all that.

Obviously , bicycling is not for everyone, but it's not a bad idea to give it a try ; you might benefit.

Most people spend $8000.00 per year on their car.

I figure I save at least $2000.00 per year by doing most of my short trips/errands by bike.

Bicycling has kept me pretty healthy, too. That represents an additional unknowable health-care dollar savings, plus increased quality of life.

On many errands, bicycling is quicker. That's mainly due to the length of time it takes to find a parking space, and the nearness of that parking space to your destination.

Safety-wise, the statistics indicate that it's about the same danger as driving a car.
That's a tough emotional hurdle for many , because is feels more dangerous than driving a car.

I figure by cycling in a sensible manner , with proper lighting and a helmet, it's probably safer that driving.

(those statistics include the actions of crazy teenage cyclists who go the wrong way at night with no light, etc...)

I hope to see you at the next Bike-to-Work day!
Dorftroedel

United States

#14 Oct 8, 2010
I started over 17 on my tricycle but was pulled over, given a ticket, and sent back into town - I was forced by "The Man" to drive to work yesterday. I did not see any bagel stops on my way over the hill?
just sayin

Los Altos, CA

#15 Oct 8, 2010
it was a really cool event. i like how the article mentions that it is important to simply 'try' bike commuting one day a week. i definitely did not get the impression that they were 'car haters' as others had suggested. in fact, that seems pretty realistic to encourage people to try something one day a week. i am kind of confused at all of the references to car hating conspiracies and left-wing nuttiness. it seemed like a good natured, healthy community event. i participated and thought it was awesome.
David

AOL

#16 Oct 8, 2010
I bike for food!!!
flyer

San Jose, CA

#17 Oct 8, 2010
Why so much hate and anger? People are trying to do things that - gasp - reduce traffic congestion for folks who drive!

I ride less now than I used to - Aptos to west santa cruz and to go to work and back. Its 35 minutes each way, riding fast. Compared to 20 minutes of drive (w/o traffic) and 35+ if I get stuck in the hwy 1 traffic jam it works out pretty well, when I do it.

Cycling has a lot of benefits, and obviously it does not work for everyone, and even then perhaps only part-time as myself. But it is a good thing.
RECALL ALEJO

Watsonville, CA

#19 Oct 8, 2010
too cute

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Acupuncture Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The backpack burden: The concern for students' ... (Sep '14) Jun 12 Anonymous 4
Are acupuncturists doctors? (Jul '09) Jun 9 jane 37
Kitchen Fitters Manchester Area Jun 1 fish11r 1
questions about master tung May '16 Malt Beer 1
News The Best Chiropractors, Acupuncture, Cleanses, ... May '16 JamesPonce 2
News 'Sham' Acupuncture as Effective as the Real Thi... May '16 JamesPonce 3
News Great Small WorksArchitect Cameron Sinclair.Cam... Apr '16 Lynn 1
More from around the web