Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital ...

Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias

There are 267 comments on the Kentucky.com story from Jul 25, 2007, titled Six accuse Select Specialty Hospital of race bias. In it, Kentucky.com reports that:

Six current or former employees of Select Specialty Hospital have filed a federal lawsuit against the Lexington facility, alleging racial discrimination and retaliation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kentucky.com.

SUE

Palmetto, GA

#247 Nov 17, 2010
Bless your heart. And I mean that. I cried when I read your post. Been there myself, a lot of us have. Where do we go from here? There has got to be something we can do as a group with a common cause.
There is strength in numbers. Input....?
SUE
SUE

Palmetto, GA

#248 Nov 21, 2010
Cathy wrote:
<quoted text>My mother was also a patient of SSH and was neglected, abused and died almost a year ago 11/20/2009, I was dead set on suing and my family basically disowned me they did not see what I saw, they were in and out a few times a week but I spent as much time as I could because I knew she was being neglected and since I didnt have POA I was thrown out 2 times for raising hell and probably only made it worse for my mom. Well I sat and talked to my mom one night asking her to please send me some kind of sign if I am doing the right thing to hold the hosp responsible and 2 days later had a dream about my mom in SSH and they put her in a casket that was beside her bed and I kept begging them to let her out that she would suffocate because she was still alive. My mom suffocated she drowned in her own fluids and that was due to letting her blood pressure get up as high as 253/107 and leaving it like that for several hours. The day she passed away she kept saying all day she couldnt breathe but the only answer I got was she's getting 100% oxygen and when the House Manager came in wanting to know why I was upset I told him shes been saying all day she cant breathe and he said yes she can and I went off saying ive been here all day and this is the first time I see you and your saying she can breathe, I said yall are gonna kill her and my mom even said the same thing and he made me leave or go to jail and my mom died 3 hours later alone
Bless your heart. And I mean that. I cried when I read your post. Been there myself, a lot of us have. Where do we go from here? There has got to be something we can do as a group with a common cause.
SUE
regency nurse

Chicago, IL

#249 Nov 30, 2010
ohionurse wrote:
Scary now that Select has bought Regency Hospitals.
well i can tell you what select did to Regency. They TORE US APART. Regency was the ltac that cared about their patients. Corporate was supportive and understanding that the patient came first. Sure there was a profit to be made, but patient came was first and formost. When would have meetings swith Regency finance people, their comment was we first do what is right for the patient. There are times that we keep the patient longer, but we do what is right. They really did. When Select took over they were all smiles and happy to have us on board. Within 2 months they cut multiple positions. Nurse managers are no longer there, respiratory therapy managers have a patient load 80 % of the time. The ratio for vent patients to resp therapists are 5 to 1. Case Management also has been cut. Nurses are leaving. Regency was a fantastic place until Select came on board. All they care about it the bottom line. How much money can they make. Got to make sure those corporate jets are ready to take the big boys and girls where they want to go. but watch it select, you are ready for a big fall.
ohionurse

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#250 Dec 10, 2010
regency nurse wrote:
<quoted text> well i can tell you what select did to Regency. They TORE US APART. Regency was the ltac that cared about their patients. Corporate was supportive and understanding that the patient came first. Sure there was a profit to be made, but patient came was first and formost. When would have meetings swith Regency finance people, their comment was we first do what is right for the patient. There are times that we keep the patient longer, but we do what is right. They really did. When Select took over they were all smiles and happy to have us on board. Within 2 months they cut multiple positions. Nurse managers are no longer there, respiratory therapy managers have a patient load 80 % of the time. The ratio for vent patients to resp therapists are 5 to 1. Case Management also has been cut. Nurses are leaving. Regency was a fantastic place until Select came on board. All they care about it the bottom line. How much money can they make. Got to make sure those corporate jets are ready to take the big boys and girls where they want to go. but watch it select, you are ready for a big fall.
I am sorry to hear what select has done, I figured that would happen. I worked agency for several of the regency hosp in n.e. ohio and wondered how many major changes would happen. I haven't been to a regency since select took over. Sad truly sad
Jacqui

Jonesboro, GA

#251 Jan 20, 2011
My gut told me there was something awfully wrong with this company (Select Specialty Hospital).
Recently, I was removed from their facility permanently for no reason; while my mother continues to be hospitalized there on a vent and with psychosis,unable to speak for herself.
After reading all these comments I now know it was because I asked questions about their poor medical practices regarding my Mother's care that I was removed.
I was shocked that I could be removed from a hospital, when I am my mother's legal next of kin.
I will contact both the Federal and State agencies that were posted. Along with obtaining an attorney.
I am in the State of
Georgia, so if there is a lawyer already working on a case against this company, and can practice in Georgia, please forward the information...
Jacqui

Jonesboro, GA

#252 Jan 20, 2011
I am ready to fight back before my mother dies!!! Let's SUE!!!!
SUE wrote:
<quoted text>
SUE
SUE

Palmetto, GA

#253 Jan 24, 2011
Jacqui wrote:
My gut told me there was something awfully wrong with this company (Select Specialty Hospital).
Recently, I was removed from their facility permanently for no reason; while my mother continues to be hospitalized there on a vent and with psychosis,unable to speak for herself.
After reading all these comments I now know it was because I asked questions about their poor medical practices regarding my Mother's care that I was removed.
I was shocked that I could be removed from a hospital, when I am my mother's legal next of kin.
I will contact both the Federal and State agencies that were posted. Along with obtaining an attorney.
I am in the State of
Georgia, so if there is a lawyer already working on a case against this company, and can practice in Georgia, please forward the information...
The following I read off of a Select web site:

Visiting Hours
We encourage the support of family and friends in the recuperation and rehabilitation process. At Select Specialty Hospital, visitors are welcome at all times. However, in rooms with two patients, overnight stays are not permitted. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Please note that our staff has the authority to ask any visitor to leave for patient treatment or if they are inhibiting patient care in any way.

Guess they consider asking about patient care inhibiting the care! You have every right to visit/ be a part of your Mother’s care! Are you her legal medical power of attorney? That might help, but still, next of kin how can they keep you out? I would make it your top priority to get in to see her and get her moved ASAP especially if the care (or lack of) is similar to the lack of care my Father received at the Select Atlanta before he passed there!

Another interesting quote:
“Select Specialty Hospitals are accredited by the Joint Commission, Medicare certified and licensed by the state in which they are located.”

I received an email back from the Joint commission , and I quote:
"Select Specialty Atlanta is not in our database as being accredited, the only two in Georgia are:
SSH Augusta,Inc
And SSH Savannah,Inc."

I would also file a complaint with the Joint Commission, I don't know what select your mother is in , maybe the Atlanta one is accredited by now... but they by law have to look into compliants.
My Family does have an attorney working on a case, but I am not at liberty to speak about it on here. What you are talking about is more of a class action suit. I would not mind being a part of that myself.
Good luck to you, God Bless
SUE

Former employee select gr

Detroit, MI

#254 Feb 15, 2011
This is all true! I won my suit. Good luck too u all ESP tonya scruse.
Former employee

York, PA

#255 Feb 19, 2011
Fighting for rights wrote:
Like I stated I also turned in those who were falsifying patients documents and was terminated because I did not give up on this one employee and continued to turn this person in along with a L.P.N who also turned this person in and he too was fired for some bogus reason. The patients don't get the care they deserve at the facility.And those who go along with the lower standards of care continue to work for them. Those who question these practices are the ones who are terminated. It goes to show that there is only one thing on their minds and that is the almighty dollar. They fired one employee for patient abuse and yet failed to report this to the proper athority until they recieved a letter from her attorney which they then filed 2 1/2 weeks later. She was found not guilty of any wrong doing but they were fined for not reporting as soon as they cooked up this lie against her.
I am a former employee of Select, on the website they say alot of great things about how they practice. I found very little of it to be true. I was fired for false accusation. There are those that only did the bare minimum, and there were those that really do care about the patient and the care they received, while i was there, I heard an employee say "all select hire are those misfits no one else wants". I don't know why they really fired me but I would really like to know.
SUE

Palmetto, GA

#256 Feb 28, 2011
Former employee wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a former employee of Select, on the website they say alot of great things about how they practice. I found very little of it to be true. I was fired for false accusation. There are those that only did the bare minimum, and there were those that really do care about the patient and the care they received, while i was there, I heard an employee say "all select hire are those misfits no one else wants". I don't know why they really fired me but I would really like to know.
Most likely because you did your job to well and cared too much!
Sandra Hassett Smith

Birmingham, AL

#257 Apr 8, 2011
My father died on January 8, 2010 at Select Care in Birmingham, AL. An hour before my father (90 years old) passed away a nurse (Lynn) was splashing cold water on his face, pulling his eyelids open. He was suffering with the "Death Rattle" which means death is near. I had never heard of the "Death Rattle" -- but I am not medically trained. In investigating after his passing -- I learned that any even slightly trained care giver should be aware of the "Death Rattle" and what it means. Therefore, you can understand the anger I felt toward the nurse who showed no respect for my father during the last minutes of his life. The nurse told us he was just tired and would be "perking up" following his nap. We should have prepared for something other than his "perking up".

On paper "Select" looks really good. However, in reality they are so ----- I can't find the words to explain how sorry their care is. I would not leave an animal that I hated in their care.

My dad would have died that day regardless -- but I would have never have left him alone the night before had I known he was so near death. He was not allowed to die with the dignity he deserved.

I can truly say I hate Select Care in Birmingham and would love to learn they have closed. Exposure to Select Care is bad for your health!!!!!!
Sacrificial Lamb

Nixa, MO

#258 Jun 27, 2011
My experience with Select has been eye opening. The dog-eat-dog way that nurses protect themselves from the regular complaints is a sad testiment to what nursing has become. Anyone who offers extra care, concern or attention is considered a threat to those who are there for the paycheck. I was terminated. I never saw it coming. What I know is that at least two patients and families intended to complain to the State about nurses. I told one of the nurses. The next day, I'm gone. I'm apparantly the one that the patients have complained about, which is untrue, as the patients have told me. What I believe is that in order to preserve the core clique and protect themselves, they needed to sacrifice someone so that they could respond to the complaints that they knew of the infractions and had terminated someone over it. The sloppy practices I witnessed from some nurses and aids made me cringe, but I learned very early to keep my mouth shut because those who complain become targets. Charges and supervisors who attempt to toe the line are drummed out and ridiculed openly. I think I became a potential liability. I think they knew I wouldn't lie for them. I think they saw that my patients and families appreciated me, which was threatening to them. Regardless, now I am unemployed, while those who are checking a block to get a paycheck are still there, still wreaking havoc on helpless, suffering patients... I can't sleep sometimes picturing the faces of a few, very special patients whose last days were made so much worse than necessary. Select has such potential to be miraculous. If only they met that potential.
PressOn

Jersey City, NJ

#259 Jul 14, 2011
I am living a nightmare. All the comments are right on target regarding SSH in Charleston,WV. Poor patient care often, you complain they maKe you a target.
SUE

Palmetto, GA

#261 Jul 27, 2011
Document! Document! Document!
amazes

United States

#262 Aug 6, 2011
What is going on does this company have great lawyers or what the intimadation. Alleged Medicare fraud sentinel events impaired nurses incompitent staff and on and on I am amazed
Upset daughter

Rincon, GA

#263 Aug 21, 2011
My father is @ SSH in Savannah,GA.He had a stroke and we were sent here.I am so upset with these people. I would never recommend this place to anyone. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know if there is a better place for him. He has medicare and don't know if we have any other options.
SUE

Palmetto, GA

#264 Aug 22, 2011
Upset daughter wrote:
My father is @ SSH in Savannah,GA.He had a stroke and we were sent here.I am so upset with these people. I would never recommend this place to anyone. I don't know what to do. Does anyone know if there is a better place for him. He has medicare and don't know if we have any other options.
You do have other options, from my personal experience with SSH in Atlanta the worst thing you can do is leave him there! Candler Hospital where the select in Savannah is located in is a short term hospital, so they would not transfer him to ICU or a reg room there. There is however a Medical Center also in Savannah that specialize in stroke recovery!! The Rehabilitation Institute at Memorial University Medical Center... four, seven, zero, zero, Waters Avenue, Savannah Ga.. they except medicare. Stroke Recovery main number is nine,one,two,,three,five,zero, ,eight, three,eight,zero.. there is also an email for people caring for stroke victims, for concerns or questions.. [email protected] h.com You can also look them up on line. You do have to have a physicians referral, guess you could ask but I am pretty sure SSH physicians are not going to refer, because they would be loosing money. Maybe his previous Doctor before or when he had the stroke..? You just need to find and speak with a physician that will listen, let them know you are not happy with his care there and want him transferred ASAP! Select may even tell you he can not be moved.. once again because they will loose money. Hope this has helped.. hang in there.. you are in my prayers.
SUE
select employee

Tulsa, OK

#265 Oct 7, 2011
Select is a racially bias company I know this to be true because I see it on a daily basis. There are often times when black aides and nurses are singled out for little things but white nurses and aides get away with murder. Not only that but most of the nurses there are inadequate and should not be working in an acute care hospital! Black aides are often said to be lazy when they go above and beyond for the patient but rarely are appreciated by their nurses. Sadly I would have to say if me or one of my loved ones got sick and needed acute care this would not be one of my choices for recovery. I've seen antibiotics hung wrong blood given too fast and sadly botched codes that if it were not for the fast response of a black nurse would have ended in a patients death. Poor care by some nurses and aides. We see it e everyday. Even though we cover our eyes the problems still remain.
Karin

Cocoa, FL

#266 Oct 14, 2011
An elderly friend of ours was place at Specialty care select in Orlando Fl. I am going to see him tomorrow. His brother went and saw him today and was really upset. After reading this all I want to do is get this man out. He had a stroke, he is on oxygen and cannot walk, talk. He has a feeding tube. Does anyone know of another place in the area to take him? I will be really grateful for any input.
Karin

Cocoa, FL

#267 Oct 14, 2011
I should have said Select Specialty Hospital.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Smoking rates in England are the lowest on record 1 hr Spotted Girl 92
News This Calculator Shows How Much Money You'll Sav... 1 hr Sneaky Pete 1
News Hopkins' gynecologist case yields 1,200 naked p... (Mar '14) 2 hr pailrider 128
zika ontology paradigm langham research uk (Feb '16) 9 hr Zika Research UK 44
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 12 hr Lilly 6,953
News Whistle-blowing nurse wants action on Nunavut n... (Mar '15) Sun anonymous 97
News The Circadian Rhythm Gene Arntl2 Is a Metastasi... Sun Stephany McDowell 2
More from around the web