Vioxx claimants rush to join $4.85B s...

Vioxx claimants rush to join $4.85B settlement as deadline nears

There are 3679 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 14, 2008, titled Vioxx claimants rush to join $4.85B settlement as deadline nears. In it, Newsday reports that:

The volume of claims by Vioxx patients hoping to get a piece of a $4.85 billion settlement makes it appear likely that the deal will go forward, according to lawyers and drug maker Merck & Co.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Bee in Texas

United States

#1123 Jan 9, 2009
Well, I got my points award today. I was not happy with Claim's Administrator's decision. My mother died after taking this medicine but they came up with all kinds of things that could have killed her. Needless to say that the award points were peanuts to us and literally nothing to them. The only one who won here was Merck and of course the lawyers who take 32% off each one of their clients. I wish better luck to the rest of you and hang in there---they will call you when you least expect it---like they did to me. God Bless us all. I thought we lived in a country that held people accountable for their crimes, but I guess I was wrong.
Dick In Ohio

Lima, OH

#1124 Jan 9, 2009
Bee in Texas ,I am sorry for your results.I agree with your theory of the entire ordeal.It's a shame that Merck could damage and destroy so many lives and have to pay so little to us all.Goliath won this battle.Bless you and best wishes.
JOHNNIE36

Plant City, FL

#1125 Jan 9, 2009
Indiana Brenda--Did you hear anything more about a letter coming from our group of attorneys in Houston? Your post last week said it was going to be sent out Monday 1-5-09 and thought I might have received it by now. Let me know if you hear further info. Thanks.
Waiting On Call

Kennett, MO

#1126 Jan 9, 2009
Does anyone on this blog have THE GALLAGHER LAW OFFICE IN HUSTON? I talk with another friend in the same firm to day to find by him that Gallagher doesn't seem to know anything. Nobody has been paid in their firm. She told him that there had only been 1% paid. He ask her to see were his case was at right now, she preceded to put him on hold and called B/G to be told he was at the gates.

At first she didn't know nothing. When he began to tell him of others receiving gates, points and being paid. She didn't know anything.
He was quite upset and told her that she was not fooling with people in the Kentucky, they would not be treated like they were fools.
Please let me know if anyone had the same firm and if you have heard anything.
Brenda Indiana

United States

#1127 Jan 9, 2009
Johnnie 36, I have not got the letter yet, but they may not have got all of them out Monday. John Furnish told me about the letter, I don't know if you know him, but he is who I have been dealing with since I did not want to deal with Jimmy Griffin anymore. I also talked with Anna Farmer about 2-3 weeks ago. I am waiting to see if I get the letter Sat. I am not going to worry about this letter I just want my money and to get out of Indiana and back to Phoenix. I do not like the cold weather anymore. Let me know if you hear anything, please.

Since: Sep 08

AOL

#1128 Jan 10, 2009
Not to get off subject, but 20 years ago I was in a class action for Agent Orange. My son was born with a heart defect one year after returning from Nam. He had a heart attack at 37. The vets won the class action but the lawyers got all the money. The most a Nam vet could receive was $1500 and he/she had to die from cancer to receive that amount. Lawyers are thieves!!!! They received 100's of millions from that lawsuit.
Me, I'm still waiting, stressed out, and probably will die before I receive any money. My wife and I are in debt because I can't work. Just trying to hold onto our home. Take care, hope everyone receives what is due.
Bee in Texas

United States

#1129 Jan 10, 2009
Dick in Ohio: Thank you so much for understanding. Now I know why so many people absolutely hate lawyers. They are ALWAYS the big winnders. To Brenda in Indiana: I hope and pray that your points award is bigger than ours and that you get yourself out of Indiana and back to Phoneix, but don't be surprised if you have to stay put, because it may not be what you calculated it to be. These people will find and use any loophole against you. good luck and God bless you all.
Dick In Ohio

Lima, OH

#1130 Jan 10, 2009
Bee thanks for the very kind words.

dakto67,you are another prime example of a system gone wrong.Your story is so sad and just points out the need for change in our overall legal system.But I am afraid as long we common folk are not part of the legislative body and it's full of lazy attorneys we are doomed to their one-sided laws.Laws that favor and protect them far more than us.Try and hang in there and I wish you and yours the very best.I hope you get enormous points and they start getting this done faster for everyone.You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Waiting On Call

Kennett, MO

#1131 Jan 10, 2009
Johnnie36........Could tell who the attorney in Houston is? I understand if you don't. I was just wondering about the letter you were talking about.

Hope to hear something soon.
Brenda Indiana

United States

#1132 Jan 10, 2009
Waiting On Call, the firm is Vioxx Litigation Consortium, out of Houston, Tx. The letter is for their clients, they go to see Judge Fallon each month and have requested he look into why Brown Greer is not getting cases reviewed faster and gett the money given out faster. They want to help their clients to get the first checks faster is what I was told. The letter is to only their clients no one else. I have not got my yet still waiting. I have not heard anything on points or even if I have been approved. Oh well still just setting and waiting with all of you out there. I hope to hear before they start the SI cases, they tell me I should. My atty said that they would not start SI before they finish MI cases. We will see!!!!!! Oh yea I am going back to Phoenix one way or another my husband is buried there and I will be buried there also. Like I said one way or another.
JOHNNIE36

Plant City, FL

#1133 Jan 10, 2009
Waiting On Call wrote:
Johnnie36........Could tell who the attorney in Houston is? I understand if you don't. I was just wondering about the letter you were talking about.
Hope to hear something soon.
My attorney group in Houston is The Vioxx Litigation Consortium comprised of five law firms of which Provost and Umphrey is the lead group. I understand from another Vioxx thread, they were supposed to have sent out a letter to all their clients 1-5-09 but I have not received anything yet. Last I talked to them it was "don't call me, I'll call you". They are very polite and I'll bet they get a lot of calls. I think the whole settlement is overwhelming and unworkable. No way can everyone can every case get a fair look in the amount of time remaining according to their schedule.
lou

Malden, MA

#1134 Jan 10, 2009
Bee in Texas wrote:
Dick in Ohio: Thank you so much for understanding. Now I know why so many people absolutely hate lawyers. They are ALWAYS the big winnders. To Brenda in Indiana: I hope and pray that your points award is bigger than ours and that you get yourself out of Indiana and back to Phoneix, but don't be surprised if you have to stay put, because it may not be what you calculated it to be. These people will find and use any loophole against you. good luck and God bless you all.
I HOPE KERRY'S WIFE DOESN'T HEAR YOU ALL!!!! LOL
Jerimiah

Missoula, MT

#1136 Jan 10, 2009
lou wrote:
<quoted text>
I HOPE KERRY'S WIFE DOESN'T HEAR YOU ALL!!!! LOL
TROLL ALERT!!!
SKM

Shelbyville, IN

#1137 Jan 10, 2009
Brenda Indiana wrote:
Waiting On Call, the firm is Vioxx Litigation Consortium, out of Houston, Tx. The letter is for their clients, they go to see Judge Fallon each month and have requested he look into why Brown Greer is not getting cases reviewed faster and gett the money given out faster. They want to help their clients to get the first checks faster is what I was told. The letter is to only their clients no one else. I have not got my yet still waiting. I have not heard anything on points or even if I have been approved. Oh well still just setting and waiting with all of you out there. I hope to hear before they start the SI cases, they tell me I should. My atty said that they would not start SI before they finish MI cases. We will see!!!!!! Oh yea I am going back to Phoenix one way or another my husband is buried there and I will be buried there also. Like I said one way or another.
Hey Brenda, I am in Indiana also, it sure is cold! I am staying here though, my husband died from Vioxx and he is buried here so here I stay, cold and all. Ours daughters and grandkids are here too so I can't imagine being anywhere else even if it is cold and miserable right now. Know what they say if you don't like the weather in Indiana just wait a minute, it will change!! Ha ha. I haven't hear anything at all yet either, sure wish they would get things moving, we have all waited too too long. Jim died 8 years ago this week and I am so tired of struggling to just survive! Best of luck to you and all of us that are still waiting to hear anything...
Brenda Indiana

United States

#1138 Jan 10, 2009
SKM in Indy, I am in Fort Wayne, In. I was born here and have 2 children here and 1 in Paulding, Ohio just 30 miles east of here. I moved to Phoenix, in 1999 and came back to In. in 2005. I have 6 grandchildren 5 here and 1 in Vir. My daughter and family, plus my youngest son wants to go to Phoenix also. they like the weather out there. My husband died 7/19/2002, since then I have retired on SSD and I do not do the cold like I use to. Hope the points give enough to go back, but if does not I will have to figure aother way. I just know I am going back to Az.
SKM

Shelbyville, IN

#1139 Jan 11, 2009
My youngest daughter lived in Santa Fe for 7 years, but has recently moved back here. I used to spend my vacation time out there and I enjoyed it, but they too had winter weather as they were in higher elevations, but I will miss that some, but this is home. I used to love the winter, but as I get older it has lost some of its luster. I wish you the best and hope your dreams do come true soon. I have a brother in F. Wayne and I am actually between Indy and F. Wayne. Did you get a lot of ice recently?
JOHNNIE36

Plant City, FL

#1140 Jan 11, 2009
BRENDA INDIANA--You mentioning Paulding, Ohio brings back a lot of memories. I used to travel a lot from a little town in Ohio called Minster,(my hometown) up thru Paulding to get on the Ohio turnpike to go to Kalamazoo, MI where I was living at the time. There was a little restaurant on the north side of Paulding where we always stopped. Can't think of the name but it had a big coffee cup on top as their signature.
Later, when I-69 was opened, I'd go up to Van Wert, Ohio and cut over to Ft. Wayne to get on I-69. Haven't been up that way sunce 1988.
paula

Eastpointe, MI

#1141 Jan 12, 2009
I was born in a small town Smithfield, PA. Moved up to Michigan when I was 8, I remember the good times playing in the show, I really hate it now. I don't like driving in it. Preferably no other drivers on the road and I would be fine.
Brenda Indiana

United States

#1142 Jan 12, 2009
Johnnie36, I talked to atty today and letters went out Friday, 1/9/09. Sorry, Talked to someone new today, John not in the office until next week. Talked to Sandy, Sah said they are trying to find out what is taking so long, Brown Greer hired more people and it is taking just as long as before. VLC has over 2000 clinets and only about 10 to 20 percent have passed or recieved checks she told me. I don't know if that is right or not but. Sandy said she checks the portal 4-5 times each day, and will let me know as soon as they hear anything. I guess I just have to believe her, and just hold on to hear what is going on. She did say that t MI cases would be reviewed before the SI cases and points awarded to them first. So if anyone out there knows any different please let me know and I will sure get on my attys. If you have the signed agreement that we all signed baack in Feb 08, it should said the MI cases will be done before any SI cases at lease that is what I agreened to then I sign to accept the settlement from Nov.07. Johnnie36 let me know when you get your letter, or maybe good news.
Burnt out

Columbia, SC

#1143 Jan 12, 2009
Brenda my dad is still patiently waiting to hear
something...we haven't received the letter u were
talking about yet...please post any news u receive.. thank you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cancer and Genetics: What's the Connection? 4 hr Stephany McDowell 2
News Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Opens Prostate Can... 4 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News How our cells use mother's and father's genes 4 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 7 hr Siani1121 6,961
News Hopkins' gynecologist case yields 1,200 naked p... (Mar '14) 9 hr pailrider 130
News Why I take my daughter with me to the gynecologist (Dec '14) 9 hr pailrider 322
News Forehead Acne Treatment (Nov '10) 10 hr Enrick 21
More from around the web