Topiramate and Weight Loss...Does It ...

Topiramate and Weight Loss...Does It Work?

There are 600 comments on the CiteULike story from Apr 14, 2009, titled Topiramate and Weight Loss...Does It Work?. In it, CiteULike reports that:

CiteULike is a free online bibliography manager. Register and you can start organising your references online.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CiteULike.

Lizzstar99

New York, NY

#589 Jan 15, 2013
Ummmm wrote:
I too lost 40lbs. I started out as a small, colorless English person though. I forget what I want to say in the middle of sentence sometimes or the word I was meaning to use. This does not bother me as I no longer have migraines or seizures but the way people treat me is down right cruel. I'm not accustom to being treated like a drug addict or diseased person. Cashiers often hesitate taking money from my boney white hand. I get followed in clothing stores I once shopped in with no problems. I said something snappy once to a looming clerk only to be told to leave like I was a milling about bum. So much for being a nicely dressed law abiding sick person. There should be a law against such discriminatory behavior. Anyway, I now generally shop with others or my large husband and no one bothers me, stares but no comments. Topamax works very well but it has had unintended consequences.
This happened to me while shopping yesterday as well. I was at my local Macy's and was followed around the store and didn't understand why. Now I blame it on the Topamax!
Ummmmm

Little Rock, AR

#592 Jan 16, 2013
Thank you Lizzstar99. Forgot...big surprise...if I mentioned 125mg morning and night with Carbamazepine XR 400mg morning and night. I loom at 95 to 100pds. I too am 5'3'. I thank you. I will say prenatal and calcium w/D vitamins got me up above 90pds. and keeps me in current range. They help me feel a bit hungry. Finger nails look fabulous and now so does my hair. Luck to you as well. We skeletal folk must stick together.
Aleana

Cody, WY

#593 Jan 16, 2013
Give up on the weight loss effect if thats the only reason why you want to take this drug. The other side effects aren't worth it and the weight comes back just as soon as the weight loss side effect wears off. I have taken it for over three years. The first few months I lost fifty pounds. I struggled and I mean I really struggled to keep it off for a couple years all still while taking the topimax for my migrains. Its been a little over 3 years, I take 200mg a day and unfortunately my weight is right back where I started. I confess I had a little fun while it lasted. Lol
Lizzstar99

Pittsburgh, PA

#595 Jan 16, 2013
Ummmmm wrote:
Thank you Lizzstar99. Forgot...big surprise...if I mentioned 125mg morning and night with Carbamazepine XR 400mg morning and night. I loom at 95 to 100pds. I too am 5'3'. I thank you. I will say prenatal and calcium w/D vitamins got me up above 90pds. and keeps me in current range. They help me feel a bit hungry. Finger nails look fabulous and now so does my hair. Luck to you as well. We skeletal folk must stick together.
You're welcome Ummmm. All these people seeking this drug only for weightloss have no idea what it's about. They think its about popping a pill and losing a few pounds. They don't get it. It's not a quick fix. The side effects are too many to count. It makes you stupid and anorexic. But hey, anything to be thin, right? You people are crazy. I wouldn't be on it if I didn't have to be.
Yvette

Rochester, NY

#597 Jan 17, 2013
Lizzstar99 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome Ummmm. All these people seeking this drug only for weightloss have no idea what it's about. They think its about popping a pill and losing a few pounds. They don't get it. It's not a quick fix. The side effects are too many to count. It makes you stupid and anorexic. But hey, anything to be thin, right? You people are crazy. I wouldn't be on it if I didn't have to be.
I completely agree.. it is about quality of life. I could never go back to lose migraines. I couldn't function but it isn't easy with these side effects either. To stop and have to truly think about the word you were going to say and reread things that were so easy before. and to have to THINK about eating. If I don't think about it I can go days. We call it dope o max..
If the headaches weren't so bad I wouldn't be on this med. But I tried everything else. It is nice to be able to leave the house again. To enjoy life. But it would be nice to have my brains back too and to enjoy food.
I wrote in earlier asking HOW to keep weight on. Everyone hear is so worried about losing it..
For Sure

Little Rock, AR

#598 Jan 17, 2013
Yvette wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely agree.. it is about quality of life. I could never go back to lose migraines. I couldn't function but it isn't easy with these side effects either. To stop and have to truly think about the word you were going to say and reread things that were so easy before. and to have to THINK about eating. If I don't think about it I can go days. We call it dope o max..
If the headaches weren't so bad I wouldn't be on this med. But I tried everything else. It is nice to be able to leave the house again. To enjoy life. But it would be nice to have my brains back too and to enjoy food.
I wrote in earlier asking HOW to keep weight on. Everyone hear is so worried about losing it..
Do try the prenatal+DHA and calcium/D vitamins. If nothing else they'll help keep your health, strength and appearance up. Looking better is always good. The prenatal have a high dose of B vitamins which has improved my memory and I do notice it. I'm not so sluggish minded. My doctor said my blood work has greatly improved. Glad your headaches are better.
Jessica

Eugene, OR

#599 Jan 18, 2013
I started the pills today. I have had no side effects at all. I feel fine
side effects

Dallas, TX

#600 Jan 22, 2013
Im 5'8 and 280 pound. The doctor prescribes me this medicine and another medicine for weight loss. when I pick it up from the pharmacy today I was kinda shocked he told me it was for seizures which I do not have so I'm kind of concerned with the side effects I read the papers that they gave me I'm looking online now for more information and I just wanted to know if anyone has had psychological problems or depression stuff like that and what's the most side effect you really have??
side effects again

Dallas, TX

#601 Jan 22, 2013
Oh and also does it affect bitch control if your on it. Im on seasoniqe
Jessica

Eugene, OR

#602 Jan 22, 2013
I have been on it for 5 days now and I do not have any of the symptoms that they are saying. They prescribe it for headaches also. It's not as bad as u think. They start u out on a small dose. I did get tired and felt a little sick at first but it did pass. U will be fine. I promise
Alex

Broken Arrow, OK

#604 Jan 25, 2013
I started Topamax a Few months ago due to the finding of a brain tumor. We were hoping that the medicine would help with headaches and surgery would not be needed for now. It helped greatly but the side effects were severe. We cut back the dosage and I have now worked up to 50mg at night. The tumor had made me gain 25 lbs and due to the fact of being an athlete the doctors were hoping the pill would help me lose some of it. When I started taking the pill I was 5'4 and 136lbs since then I've lost about 13lbs but don't seem to be seeing any more change in that area. If all the other side effects have stopped does that mean the weight loss has stopped as well?
George

Modesto, CA

#606 Jan 28, 2013
Where you guys buying it from I been buying it from http://pillseveryone.com/... at the moment
Jessica

Eugene, OR

#607 Jan 28, 2013
It's a prescription. The only way I can get it is threw my doctor
Haley

Irvine, CA

#610 Feb 6, 2013
I have been taking Topiramate for over 9 months and I've lost 12 pounds and did not need to lose weight. It has helped with my migraines, but I think I may have to stop taking it due to the weight loss.. Any advice???
Wendy uk

Blairgowrie, UK

#612 Feb 9, 2013
I've just started on topiramate . I have epilepsy and suffer bad headaches , I'm in 25 mg at minute rising to 100 over a couple of weeks ..this may seem crazy but did any of you suffer bad wind ? It's driving me crazy I can't cope with the embarrassment ?
Kim

San Luis Obispo, CA

#613 Feb 9, 2013
Wendy uk wrote:
I've just started on topiramate . I have epilepsy and suffer bad headaches , I'm in 25 mg at minute rising to 100 over a couple of weeks ..this may seem crazy but did any of you suffer bad wind ? It's driving me crazy I can't cope with the embarrassment ?
YES!! Also a bit of the trots spent lots of time in the bathroom. This gets better but does seem to come and go.
Kim

San Luis Obispo, CA

#614 Feb 9, 2013
Alex wrote:
I started Topamax a Few months ago due to the finding of a brain tumor. We were hoping that the medicine would help with headaches and surgery would not be needed for now. It helped greatly but the side effects were severe. We cut back the dosage and I have now worked up to 50mg at night. The tumor had made me gain 25 lbs and due to the fact of being an athlete the doctors were hoping the pill would help me lose some of it. When I started taking the pill I was 5'4 and 136lbs since then I've lost about 13lbs but don't seem to be seeing any more change in that area. If all the other side effects have stopped does that mean the weight loss has stopped as well?
The weight loss does seem to stop when your body adjust.
Kim

San Luis Obispo, CA

#615 Feb 9, 2013
side effects wrote:
Im 5'8 and 280 pound. The doctor prescribes me this medicine and another medicine for weight loss. when I pick it up from the pharmacy today I was kinda shocked he told me it was for seizures which I do not have so I'm kind of concerned with the side effects I read the papers that they gave me I'm looking online now for more information and I just wanted to know if anyone has had psychological problems or depression stuff like that and what's the most side effect you really have??
I got really pissy and an I'm not taking anyone's "stuff" attitude. I also then got a little paranoia about my behavior then would not care. I am a Very nice person usually. This to will pass is a few months. As long as you are aware of it you will be fine.
Kim

San Luis Obispo, CA

#616 Feb 9, 2013
side effects wrote:
Add for comment above:
I should mention I am only taking Topiramate and not the other for weight loss.
Jesd

Hermitage, PA

#617 Feb 10, 2013
I just start Topamax on Wed ( Feb. 6th). My dose is 25mg twice a day. Next Wed (13) I bump it up to 50mg twice a day. My biggest side effect is dry mouth. It feels like , all day, I haven't drank in a week......no matter how much I drink. It comes out as quick as it goes in. Of course, the pop tasting floating

As far as appetite, I feel hungry more. I'm hoping when I increase my dose that will go away.

BTW........I am taking it for seizures combined with Lamictal, which I've been on Lamictal for years!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How Bad Is Your Breath? 14 Simple Tips For Redu... (Feb '06) 38 min dental101 636
News Best foods to boost your erection 1 hr Bloggz 1
News 5 Common Causes of Erectile Dysfunction 1 hr Bloggz 1
zika research' langham research derby UK 2 hr langham science d... 5
News Pelvic exam pics cost US university $190 million (Jul '14) 3 hr pailrider 110
News Hopkins' gynecologist case yields 1,200 naked p... (Mar '14) 3 hr pailrider 86
News Turmeric lowered high blood pressure (Feb '09) 6 hr dibyajyoti Saikia 42
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) Tue Marcy 117
More from around the web