Topiramate and Weight Loss...Does It ...

Topiramate and Weight Loss...Does It Work?

There are 601 comments on the CiteULike story from Apr 14, 2009, titled Topiramate and Weight Loss...Does It Work?. In it, CiteULike reports that:

CiteULike is a free online bibliography manager. Register and you can start organising your references online.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CiteULike.

First Prev
of 31
Next Last
Kate

United States

#1 May 10, 2009
I've taken Topamax for 3 years now without any significant side effects. I've lost over 40lbs. while on it. Other's I have spoken with who have been on it long term also report up to a 40lb loss as well. It is a very strong drug and should not be considered for this. It can have very serious side effects. Everyone is different and will respond differntly so please consult a doctor before trying this medication.
Misty

Fargo, ND

#2 Jun 10, 2009
I have been taking Topamax for some time now for Migraines. Also there are "off label" diagnosis that fit in there as well so it's basically been a multi purpose tablet for me and has worked wonderful. I will say however that as a once morbidly obese woman Topamax seriously helped set a healthier eating life style into motion. At first it was hard to eat at all and yes the weight started coming off and it felt good but as an already unhealthy person I needed to correct this. So my appetite barely there I have taken this and incorporated healthy snacks such as cottage cheese, yogurt and celery sticks for example as lunch. Yes it has taken some effort on my half, but as with dieting this takes effort as well! I also want to say that I ate these things before Topamax to NO avail so it is not one of those lazy things for any of those nay sayers out there!!! Basically I am saying that for me this pill has turned my life around and weight loss was just one of it's benefits! So yes please consider all side effects before considering a drug.

Since: Jun 09

United States

#3 Jun 16, 2009
I also lost close to 50 lbs.I was overweight but not obeise.I couldn't hold any food in my body when I first started this med.It was horrible.I toughed it out though.Now I don't get to hungary but I am very careful of what I eat because I want to keep the weight off.At one point I was too skinny and that was NOT healthy.I am happy now and wouldn't trade this drug for any other.

Since: Jul 09

Allgood, AL

#4 Jul 5, 2009
As opposed to taking a Barbituate for headaches, I have been intoduced to Topamax. Have tried it once before for a short period of time. Did lose 11 lbs, but the other side effects weren't so pleasant. My question is: on a long term basis, if I can tough it out, does the drug even out and the side effects mellow out to where a person can tolerate taking it? My feet and legs swell up, loss of hair, can't make a complete sentence, etc. Does any of this leave if I stay on it over a month? Please help, I can't take my Fioricete w/Codiene because as a former addict, don't need the extra Narcotic, but Topamax(of course have to take the generic) seems so far out there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Willow
Aleana

Kamas, UT

#5 Jul 7, 2009
My question is about weight loss long term, i hear averages of 40 to 50lbs. I was prescribed topamax for migrains 2 months ago, and it works great, and as a much needed side affect ive lost 42lbs, but being very obease of 5'3' and was 250, im just hoping this trend will continue, I would love to lose another 50 to 75 but have Not heard of anyone losing that amount of weight. Anyone out there? or does this side affect wear off after a couple months? Thanks Aleana
Barbara

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Jul 7, 2009
I lost 45lbs and that was all I really needed to loose so that worked great for me. I take the med for seizures and I found after a couple of months the side effects were far less than that of other seizure meds I had taken and it helped with headaches I was having. So all around it was great for me. Controlled the seizures, got rid of the headaches, less side effects than the other seizure meds and I lost weight when the other meds I took made me gain weight. I do know a person who is on a mega dose of it and lost over 100 lbs but he was extremely overweight to begin with and takes a mega dose of the drug. It depends on your body I guess. The main thing is I dont get hungry, so I eat less and I think it changes your metabolism so you burn off more. I have kept off the weight for 2 years and have gotten use to or the side effects have gotten less one or the other. Now with the generic I feel like I am starting over with the side effects so we will see.
what

Rocky Mount, NC

#7 Jul 12, 2009
what mg do you take of topamax??

Since: Jun 09

United States

#8 Jul 12, 2009
willow542000 wrote:
As opposed to taking a Barbituate for headaches, I have been intoduced to Topamax. Have tried it once before for a short period of time. Did lose 11 lbs, but the other side effects weren't so pleasant. My question is: on a long term basis, if I can tough it out, does the drug even out and the side effects mellow out to where a person can tolerate taking it? My feet and legs swell up, loss of hair, can't make a complete sentence, etc. Does any of this leave if I stay on it over a month? Please help, I can't take my Fioricete w/Codiene because as a former addict, don't need the extra Narcotic, but Topamax(of course have to take the generic) seems so far out there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Willow
The side effects do eventually taper off. I noticed my hair got really thin also but I thought it was because I ate pretty much nothing. It is fine now,thick and soft. I didn't have any problems with my speech or swelling of my hands or feet. I understand not wanting an extra narcotics. Topamax was prescribed to me to help me quit drinking(and it worked along with self control). It is a magic pill.
Terri

Sinton, TX

#9 Jul 13, 2009
Has anyone lost weight on the generic Topamax?
Aleana

Kamas, UT

#10 Jul 13, 2009
I have lost 48 lbs in two months on the generic, i take 100mgs, for migrains, you totally lose your appatite, in fact im taking a break from going through my closet and throwing out my fat clothes, having a hard time doing it so afraid i will put it back on but hubby says not to worry IF it happens we will just buy new. Good Luck
Aleana
LionessWarrior

New York, NY

#11 Jul 16, 2009
Greetings, I just started taking Topiratmate for my headaches. I'm kinda scared to go through with it b/c of the side effects that I read up on. The doctor told me to first take 25mg for 1wk, then increase it to 50mg. Could anyone tell what side effect to expect from this dose, I know everyone is different. But just curious b/c I will be starting school in few weeks and also I work with children. How soon? what dosage do u start to notice these changes? And do u loss hair on 25-50mg of topiramate.
LionessWarrior

New York, NY

#12 Jul 16, 2009
Greetings, I just started taking Topiratmate for my headaches. I'm kind of scared to go through with it b/c of the side effects that I've read up on. The doctor told me to first take 25mg for 1wk, then increase it to 50mg. Could anyone tell me what side effects to expect from this dose, I know everyone is different. But,I'm just curious b/c I will be starting school in few a weeks also I work with children. How soon? What dosage do u start to notice these changes? And do u loss hair on 25-50mg of topiramate
Aleana

Kamas, UT

#13 Jul 16, 2009
Boy let me tell you the first few doses of this stuff were pretty tough I seriously sugest you take it and go straight to bed, I have fibromyalgia so i take other meds also like ambien and tramadol but the first time i took this stuff the walls came folding down on top of me and i couldnt hardly crawl to my bed, also had the day time tingling in my hands, and lost lots of weight but it worked awsome for headaches! and after a few doses and building up to the full 100mg it is all good! best stuff for migrains. It didn't take weeks for the side affects to wear off. And i started taking a prenatal vitamin for Just in case on the hair loss thing. Good Luck hope it works for you!
Monica

Clarksburg, MD

#14 Jul 21, 2009
willow542000 wrote:
Willow- If you stay on the Topamax, the side effects will pass. Unfortunately, you have to deal with them for about (honestly) 6-8 weeks. It's a pain, but very much worth it. I've struggled with seizures all my life and had brain surgery. I've been on many different medications, and this one was the one that really helped (and provided the extra weight loss benefit). I was non-compliant before, due to the side effects. Once I stuck it out and did it the right way, it all paid off. Hang in there!
art

Cliffwood, NJ

#15 Jul 22, 2009
what dosage did you find that you lost the weight with
Aleana

Kamas, UT

#16 Jul 22, 2009
I built up to 100 mg weight loss stopped after eight weeks.(bummer) weight loss started with the 25mg. good luck. No nausea for me just loss of appatite.

aleana
dee

Cliffwood, NJ

#17 Jul 24, 2009
up to 100 mg 2 times a day and no weight loss, what up ????
Emma

Leeds, UK

#18 Jul 27, 2009
Hi guys,

I have just started taking Topiramate for Migraines and I have to say i'm feeling really bad! I'm also coming off Beta Blockers at the same time which is making me feel very dizzy, sick, anxious and nauseous.
Although I am only on my 4th day of Topiramate I have already found that my appetite has gone. I've only eaten a bread role and a bite of fruit today and although I feel a bit hungry the thought of eating makes me feel sick!

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Emma
Aleana

Kamas, UT

#19 Jul 27, 2009
I seem to have to make a effort to eat, Not that i am physicaly ill just no appatite, but then it seems like there are days i will think back and thought wow i ate alote and check the scale thinking i would have put weight on but to my suprise i still would have lost, go figure, i did go about 3 wks and didnt lose any weight and tried to think back to what was different and it was around the first of july my dr gave me a prescription of one 100mg generic tablet, instead of 4 25mg tablets a day, have no clue why this made a difference and it probably shouldnt have, but asked to go back to the 4 25mg a day and started the weight loss again, not as fast as the first eight weeks but slow and steady, and it still controls the migrains and thats the intent so thats whats important, just love the side affect though. good luck to the rest and so sorry for those that don't see weight loss!
Aleana
Toni

Omaha, NE

#20 Jul 27, 2009
For any of you who are knew to Topamax, it takes up to 4 weeks for it to reach its full effect. I started with 25mg at bedtime for the first week then 50mg. Once I started with 50mg, I could not sleep. Therefore, I began taking mine in the morning. Changing the time of day helped with the inability to sleep but now the side effect I am experiencing is tingling in my feet. My doctor assures me this will subside over time. I have noticed some loss of appetite but nothing too serious. I can stand to lose about 25 lbs anyway so I am not too concerned about that at this point. I have tried so many different meds in the last 10 yrs for migraines before starting Topamax and none of them worked mainly because I wasn't willing to wait out the side effects. Topamax seems to be working for me. I hadn't heard anything about hair loss, I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 31
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study: 12,000 acts of condomless gay sex, 0 HIV... 9 min Arnold 5
News Psychiatrists say Trump is mentally ill 12 min Chicagoan by Birth 147
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) 7 hr nnono 200
News Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 7 hr Wake up 9,775
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 18 hr Lulu 7,236
News Gay men can now donate blood three months after... Mon Darby 4
News Discussing making City Park a smoke freea - Mon Richy Rich 38
More from around the web