FeralStat contraceptive: ACCD statement

FeralStat contraceptive: ACCD statement

There are 353 comments on the Feral Cats in the News story from Jul 29, 2008, titled FeralStat contraceptive: ACCD statement. In it, Feral Cats in the News reports that:

Thursday, July 24, 2008 FeralStat contraceptive: ACCD statement AnimalResources early requested a statement about FeralStat from leading feral cat and nonsurgical sterilization veterinarians and the Alliance ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Feral Cats in the News.

First Prev
of 18
Next Last
J STONE

AOL

#1 Jul 29, 2008
Birth control pills for animals encluding a permanate pill to add to street cats food is available and in usage quite successful in progressine countries, In the USA special intrest is feeding the fools the crap that more testing and all the other bull and have been doing this for 50 years because of special intrest. This must be put into the hands of the people now for real progress to the age old problem.
mowgli

South Glastonbury, CT

#2 Aug 29, 2008
thank-you
catlady in stl

Arnold, MO

#3 Jun 21, 2009
Seriously what aother alternatives are there when you cannot trap the source of the multiple litters of kittens in a feral colony? I'm sorry these people ACCD feel threatened and from what I've read are trying to develop their own feline contraceptive, but what about the average joe like me that feeds and takes care of these strays and is just beyond done with it?

Everytime I trap kittens I can't get any help from the rescues in my area, my friends and neighbors are done they've taken way too many of these kittens. I am going to have to have faith that the risks of the Feralstat aren't as great as allowing the non-stop kitten factory to continue.

I feed all of these ferals out of my own pocket and I take care of them the best I can but enough is emough. I'll post back to let everyone know if this product works or not.
Jane in PA

Jamison, PA

#4 Oct 10, 2009
In the busy spring and summer months, one is able to get very little help from the cat rescue groups. I was told by several friends to try a well-known county group for help with TNR, since I didn't know where to start, had tons of questions, and didn't know what was out there to help me.

I couldn't get anyone to call back. In fact, one of the answering machine messages said, "If you've called before and have already left a message, please don't leave another one!" I was distraught, to say the least!

I realized I was mostly on my own for learning how to trap and release my ferals. One trained rescuer (whom I found online), recommended a couple veterinarians who offer discounts, which was very valuable information to me.

I have successfully trapped several cats and kittens now (whew!)- but at one time was considering birth control, because I had no other choice.

People who try this method are desperate for a solution, because there is so little information out there as to what to do. Often it is seen as an interim solution. I am worried about some of the reported side effects, but perhaps it's OK if the product is only used short-term, until the cat can be caught and safely neutered.
leslie leavitt

Santa Fe, NM

#5 Apr 17, 2011
I have used FeralStat on a feral colony for about 2 and a half years. Have not had one kitten born in that time. The cats appear to be healthy. I will continue to use it despite negative comments. The life of a feral is hard at best. They are already subject to all kinds of illnesses and diseases and while the thought of adding to their troubles with FeralStat is not my intention I will continue to use it. Preventing feral kittens from being born is my goal at this time. I have tried many times to trap these cats but they are very trap wary.
kcook924

Brattleboro, VT

#6 Jul 15, 2011
Did the FeralStat work? I am faced with the same problem as you.
catlady in stl wrote:
Seriously what aother alternatives are there when you cannot trap the source of the multiple litters of kittens in a feral colony? I'm sorry these people ACCD feel threatened and from what I've read are trying to develop their own feline contraceptive, but what about the average joe like me that feeds and takes care of these strays and is just beyond done with it?
Everytime I trap kittens I can't get any help from the rescues in my area, my friends and neighbors are done they've taken way too many of these kittens. I am going to have to have faith that the risks of the Feralstat aren't as great as allowing the non-stop kitten factory to continue.
I feed all of these ferals out of my own pocket and I take care of them the best I can but enough is emough. I'll post back to let everyone know if this product works or not.
kcook924

Brattleboro, VT

#7 Jul 15, 2011
Did the FeralStat work? I am faced with the same problem as many out there are.
kcook924

Brattleboro, VT

#8 Jul 15, 2011
Did the FeralStat work?
leslie leavitt

Rio Rancho, NM

#9 Jul 31, 2011
For whoever judged me clueless, be sure and let me know when you come up with a better alternative. Since you are so smart, I;m sure it will be soon
Bajapamella

United States

#10 Aug 5, 2011
I just tried to contact feralstat to order a prescription for my feral colony. I got a message that they are no longer renewing nor filling orders and to call back on August 15th for an update. Does anyone know what is going on or soemone else I can contact for birth control for my cat colony. I'm desperate to stop them from reproducing.
Gail from Hilltop Humane

Abington, MA

#11 Aug 6, 2011
Search the info on the Web about feralstat and you can find the name of the generic drug. If you have a vet that you work with frequently, you may be able to get a prescription for that. It should be a lot cheaper anyway. I'm sorry, I just moved and I can't find the pages I printed off previously with the name. The people who make a fuss about possible side effects of the drug are ignoring the "side effects" of repeated pregnancies on these poor feral moms. I'm talking with the President of our organization about doing a trial. We've been swamped with kittens this year like everyone else and donations are down. If you get the generic, let us know how it works.
Bajapamella wrote:
I just tried to contact feralstat to order a prescription for my feral colony. I got a message that they are no longer renewing nor filling orders and to call back on August 15th for an update. Does anyone know what is going on or soemone else I can contact for birth control for my cat colony. I'm desperate to stop them from reproducing.
Bea Sturges

West Bloomfield, MI

#12 Aug 19, 2011
I called today for a refill of feralstat and couldn't get an answer today. Does anybody know what is going on?
Bea Sturges

West Bloomfield, MI

#13 Aug 19, 2011
Feralstat works great. But why can't I get a refill now?
Bajapamella

United States

#14 Aug 19, 2011
Bea Sturges wrote:
Feralstat works great. But why can't I get a refill now?
. I keep trying feral stat but no answer. Please let us know if you find another source or are able to refill. Ive been trying for over a month and am so disappointed.
Deborah

Chisholm, MN

#15 Aug 27, 2011
kcook924 wrote:
Did the FeralStat work? I am faced with the same problem as many out there are.
I used feralstat for the last couple of years. I think it works great. No new kittens & the cats look healthy. But am having a hard time getting it this time. I have one pack of feralstat left, but when I called to get more a recording told me that the office was closed & that they were not taking any orders for refills or new prescriptions. And to try back in a couple of weeks. but I need more now. Don't know what to do now.
ginger

Cumberland, MD

#16 Aug 31, 2011
I have used feral stat for 2 years. No new kittens and the cats look healthy. I can't take care of any more. I am getting the same message. Now no answer. I'm desperate and need it now. What is going on? Please let me know if you find a place to get it.
julie

Tempe, AZ

#17 Sep 7, 2011
It's Sept 8, 2011. I have one week of Feral Stat left and I have 60 cats on it. Can you imagine what can happen with that many once it is used up? I must find out what's going on, so is there any updates?

Also, when folks talk about side effects....read carefully, there are none to speak of. It states these things can happen in LARGE doses. Also, how does one supposed "expert" really know. Heck, vet "experts" do not even know about the miracle cure apple cider vinegar for cats and even newborn kittens.

I have used Feral Stat since 2009 with no problems and no kittens. [email protected]
ginger

Cumberland, MD

#18 Sep 8, 2011
Gail from Hilltop Humane wrote:
Search the info on the Web about feralstat and you can find the name of the generic drug. If you have a vet that you work with frequently, you may be able to get a prescription for that. It should be a lot cheaper anyway. I'm sorry, I just moved and I can't find the pages I printed off previously with the name. The people who make a fuss about possible side effects of the drug are ignoring the "side effects" of repeated pregnancies on these poor feral moms. I'm talking with the President of our organization about doing a trial. We've been swamped with kittens this year like everyone else and donations are down. If you get the generic, let us know how it works.
<quoted text>
Did you happen to remember the name of the generic drug. I don't know if I could find a vet to get it from. They all say they have never heard of Feralstat.
Kathryn

Jonesboro, GA

#19 Sep 11, 2011
I have been using feral stat for almost a year now - I have about a 2 months supply left so I must have been able to renew just before they stopped refilling prescriptions. This is devastating news! The cats in my colony are all healthy - and no kittens. I am doing tnr all on my own and was down to one female last summer who I was having difficulty catchin - and she had 6 kittens! So now I am back up. I only have access to a spay neuter clinic once a month and since the only place I can allow the cat to recuperate is a garage, that means that the middle of winter and middle of summer are out because of the extreme temperatures. Feralstat has been a life safer! There must be something we can do to get this product back into availability. The possible side effects from this drug are no where near the definite side effects of too many kittens dying horrible deaths through starvation, predation (11 died here the year before - 5 by drowning in a flooded stream; 4 torn apart by some wild animal; 1 hit by a car; and 1 killed by a wild animal, and the nuisance problems caused with neighbours from fighting and spraying. That has all stopped while they are on feralstat. I have rescued as many as I can, found homes for as many as I can and with feralstat finally had a chance to get caught up on the neutering of the ones remaining. I have found none of the feral cat organizations willing to give me any sort of practical hands on help - just refer me to their literature. And if they are responsible for feralstat being off the market that is another black mark to their discredit. It seems like they have forgotten what it is like to be the lone caregiver on the ground dealing with the practical day to day realities. I can't believe their hypocrisy! I hope, hope, hope that the vet who was willing to actually do something to help will see this and return to practice. I'm no longer making a donation to Alley Cat Allies since they seem to be one of the most vocal against this use. They have obviously lost touch with reality - no practical help, no resources for the little guy and now removing one of the only resources we have to give us a chance to gain control of our colonies.
Kathryn

Jonesboro, GA

#20 Sep 11, 2011
megestrol acetate - that is the name of the product in feralstat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 18
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Research and Markets: Eli Lilly's Bone-Building... (Nov '06) 1 hr Joseph 26
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 14 hr Kaitlynn132 7,218
News Appalachian congressmen ask FDA to reclassify O... (May '07) 18 hr Former DEM 36
News Problems With Some Patients At Mid-State Pain C... (Aug '09) 20 hr vbrown 325
News Developing nations are taking the lead on healt... 22 hr Trumpsajoke 13
News Discussing making City Park a smoke freea - Sun I live here too 34
News Stop those naturopaths who spread anti-vaxxer m... Jun 24 Ali 1
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) Jun 21 Jane 196
More from around the web