NSU tobacco free effective Friday

NSU tobacco free effective Friday

There are 175 comments on the The Times story from Jul 28, 2014, titled NSU tobacco free effective Friday. In it, The Times reports that:

Northwestern State University will become a tobacco free campus effective Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Times.

“Opposing Evil, Helping Good”

Since: Feb 14

EVERYWHERE!!!

#82 Aug 8, 2014
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, 6 years ago is ancient history, how in the world has mankind functioned all that long time in history? It went by in the blink of an eye, get real. And on top of that, why is that an excuse? Are you like the Obama security spokesman, "dude, that was like 2 years ago"?
Things change over time. They do!

Opinions on SSM become more positive every single day. Every single day more and more people realize that SSM should be allowed. Espically the youth (more of them turn 18 everyday).

Would you like me to make you a list of EVERYTHING that has happened politically since 2008?

And I'm pretty much talking about just the stuff that would be relevant to SSM. Would you like a long list of those things?

And I didn't even go into the issue of polling corruption. In other words, I don't think the majority of Californians (or anywhere else), in 2008 (or anytime in my adult lifetime; I was born 1975), would have voted against SSM.

I personally believe that the election was pretty much rigged by biggots and hate-groups, just like SC 2006, TX 2005, etc. Also smoking ban ones such as OH 2006, NV 2006, FL 2002, etc. And A BUNCH of other stuff. I'll elaborate if anyone brings it up.

Although it is extremely difficult to absolutely proove something like that for obvious reasons.

I have plenty of Reasonable Suspicion, even Circumstantial Evidence. However I do not have absolute proof at this time. I wish I did. I hope I do later at some point.

Anyway, mooting all that (in other words, even if the other stuff were not so) Just the fact that that so many things have changed since then. That is enough of a reason to discount anything from that long ago.

ESPECIALLY when it is a political issue such as LGBT and SSM, which changes day to day, and month to month. And that change is ALWAYS in the direction of acceptance and legalization of SSM. It NEVER goes the other way.

It actually did happen ONE time in history. It was in the late 1970s, when this lame-@$$ celebrity douchebag named Anita Bryant succeeded in stirring up Homophobia. Of course everybody else (gay and strait) got together and boycotted her and caused her to go bankrupt (and rightfully so!)

And then, right after that, came the early 1980s, and the HIV scare. And that caused some Homophobia, bigtime.

However, then shortly after, you had the coming out of lots of older celebrities, such as Liberace and Rock Hudson. Especially Hudson, he was considered like you know, "stereotypically strait" if you will, especially by people of my grandmother's generation. He was the celebrity they all had crushes on if you were a girl. It turns out he was more into guys, lol. And yeah that totally maid people think about like stereotypes and stuff.

And since the 1990s it's been pretty much uphill, as far as LGBT issues go.

In fact LGBT is the ONLY Political Issue, that I am aware of, that did not suffer in the 1990s, nor 2000s. Everything else (including Tobacco Use, or "Smokers Rights", if you prefer) suffered heavily!

Anyway, I'm gonna stop and truncate this post. The next part answers ur other contention about the courts and stuff. I'm almost out of room, and also, I want to have that as a separate post, that I can link to in other discussions. So yeah, more follows.

EVERYWHERE!!!

#83 Aug 8, 2014
Yep wrote:
Is that a justification for wrongdoing by the 9th Circus? Personally, I could care less, but the people spoke and were overruled by a few liberals in black robes, mostly appointed by Carter.
That is specifically one thing you are wrong about, defending action by the court against the majority of the people, no matter when, where or on what issue.
So you are ok with the majority of people trampling on the rights of minorities?

You are ok with 51% of the populace doing whatever they want? Even if that means pretty much ruining the lifes of the other 49%, anytime they choose? You are really ok with that?

More to the point: How do you feel about smoking bans? You know some of them sometimes pass by popular vote. Do you think that's fair?

How about them telling you what you can or cannot do in ur home? How about them telling you what foods you can consume?

How about the 51% voting to taking away Gun Rights? How do you feel about that one?

What if 51% of the American populace decided to take away ur rights to practice whatever RELIGION you are?

Let's say 51% of the populace has voted that RELIGION IS NOW ILLEGAL. Churches are to be destroyed. It doesn't mater if it's privately-owned or not. The 51% Majority has spoken! Bibles are also illegal now; you can get 20 years for possessing one. The 51% have said so!

How would you feel about that?

Do you REALLY want strict Populism? Mob Rule? Is that really what you want?

And please remember, you won't necessarily be in the Top 51, everytime. Please do keep that in mind!

Furthermore, what if they were to make Strait Marriage illegal, with a 51% vote?

Remember, BISEXUALS make up about 80%-90% of the populace. They are the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY (Did you even read the link I posted? I would rather not have to reiterate all that stuff on this thread, although I will if necessary, I guess.)

I have the feeling that if the 51% were to make STRAIT MARRIAGE illegal, and ONLY allow Gay Marriage, YOU would NOT be a happy camper!!! Although you may correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Remember the Golden Rule: Do Unto Others As You Would Have Done Unto You.

Which btw, the Golden Rule applies to EVERYONE, it's not "religious", it was actually first spoken by a Chinese dude, centuries before Jesus was born. Furthermore, it does not make a difference WHO SAYS something! If it's true, it's true, if it's not it's not.

And finally, the Supreme Court exists primarily to protect the rights of minorities (e.g. LGBT persons) against exploitation by the majority. That is also why we (the USA) are a Representative Republic, not a pure Democracy.

Which is as it should be, isn't it? Or isn't it not? If not, please explain why not, please.
libertarian

Natchitoches, LA

#84 Aug 8, 2014
DR FEEL wrote:
<quoted text>Only 51% don't smoke? DUH only 14% do so your math is as bad as your breath.
She didn't say that 51% didn't smoke. She said the majority don't get to take away rights of the minority just because they don't like something.
Amy

Natchitoches, LA

#85 Aug 8, 2014
DR FEEL wrote:
<quoted text>Only 51% don't smoke? DUH only 14% do so your math is as bad as your breath.
I wasn't denying that smokers are the minority. I wS denying that the majority has the right to tell the minority how to live. Jewish people are a minority in this country. Gay people are a minority. Vegans are a minority. People with green hair are a minority. These are all things that people have the right to be in public in a free country no matter how many other people are annoyed by it.
Yep

Natchitoches, LA

#86 Aug 8, 2014
N8 the Grrr8 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are ok with the majority of people trampling on the rights of minorities?
You are ok with 51% of the populace doing whatever they want? Even if that means pretty much ruining the lifes of the other 49%, anytime they choose? You are really ok with that?
More to the point: How do you feel about smoking bans? You know some of them sometimes pass by popular vote. Do you think that's fair?
How about them telling you what you can or cannot do in ur home? How about them telling you what foods you can consume?
How about the 51% voting to taking away Gun Rights? How do you feel about that one?
What if 51% of the American populace decided to take away ur rights to practice whatever RELIGION you are?
Let's say 51% of the populace has voted that RELIGION IS NOW ILLEGAL. Churches are to be destroyed. It doesn't mater if it's privately-owned or not. The 51% Majority has spoken! Bibles are also illegal now; you can get 20 years for possessing one. The 51% have said so!
And please remember, you won't necessarily be in the Top 51, everytime. Please do keep that in mind!
Furthermore, what if they were to make Strait Marriage illegal, with a 51% vote?
Remember, BISEXUALS make up about 80%-90% of the populace. They are the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY (Did you even read the link I posted? I would rather not have to reiterate all that stuff on this thread, although I will if necessary, I guess.)
I have the feeling that if the 51% were to make STRAIT MARRIAGE illegal, and ONLY allow Gay Marriage, YOU would NOT be a happy camper!!! Although you may correct me if I'm wrong about that.
Which btw, the Golden Rule applies to EVERYONE, it's not "religious", it was actually first spoken by a Chinese dude, centuries before Jesus was born. Furthermore, it does not make a difference WHO SAYS something! If it's true, it's true, if it's not it's not.
And finally, the Supreme Court exists primarily to protect the rights of minorities (e.g. LGBT persons) against exploitation by the majority. That is also why we (the USA) are a Representative Republic, not a pure Democracy.
Which is as it should be, isn't it? Or isn't it not? If not, please explain why not, please.
I am totally done with trolls like you that go onto threads looking to stir up crap, whichever way it takes. All of my posts on this thread have been against this smoking ban, yet you try to find a way to argue a moot point with me, and drag me off into LGBT land. Go troll somewhere else. Goodbye.

EVERYWHERE!!!

#87 Aug 8, 2014
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
I am totally done with trolls like you that go onto threads looking to stir up crap, whichever way it takes. All of my posts on this thread have been against this smoking ban, yet you try to find a way to argue a moot point with me, and drag me off into LGBT land. Go troll somewhere else. Goodbye.
First of all, lets get something strait. I don't care whatsoever, if YOU reply, I don't care if you even read my posts. I post for the THOUSANDS of people who will read this thread. I couldn't care less if you like it or not. The fact remains that MOST people do.

And we can argue all day about that, but look at the little icons on top of each post. You wanna talk about "majority rules"? Look at those icons if you want to see what the majority thinks. Look at yours, look at mine.

I'm sorry but EVERYBODY (who is anybody) hates homophobes!!! That's just how it is.

Furthermore, when you whine and cry about ur rights, then wanna take someone else's rights away, that makes you a HYPOCRITE. And the few people who don't hate homophobes, hate hypocrites.

Second, you were the one who brought up the topic of LGBT, or "homosexuality" as you called it, in Post #65 (which I then responded to). No mention of that topic exists, anywhere on this thread, before YOU mentioned it in Post #65.

And third, you have the absolute worst Netiquette of any user I have dealt with in a while. I can't even count all the things! First it was berating a forum user over spelling. Now you've resorted to name-calling.

Well knock yourself out. You don't matter anyway. So says the majority on this thread, and the Internet.

And besides, I know good and well how to handle users like you, who start whining and acting childish, just because you lost the debate. In fact, I'm the one who educates other users about people like you. And in fact, I just got done handling another one, earlier today!

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/chattanooga-t...

No, you don't phase me, sorry. I use people like you as examples to teach other users about how to handle people like you. I've been doing this since last century, and I'll be doing it next century. People like you usually fade away when they realize that nobody will ever take you seriously when you act like that.

And no I will not go away! Sorry. I will continue to post on this thread, or any other, any time I damn well please. If YOU don't like it, YOU can go somewhere else (I could make a suggestion, lol, however I shall be nice and refrain from).

You can insult me some more if you want. Call me a "troll" and whatever other garbage you want. I couldn't care less either way. The average person knows how to view my other posts and tell what I'm about. Nobody is gonna take somebody like you seriously, anyway.

So do what you want. I couldn't care less. But no you are not going to change me one millimeter! I will be right here, teaching everybody else (including the thousands and thousands who read but never post) about people like you. If you don't like it, tough stuff for you!!!

Or you could change and try to become a decent person, and a decent Internet user, if you want. Hey, it's all upto you. You have full control over you.

But you have ZERO control over me. And the only control you have over anyone else is the ability to positively interact with them. Which, on the Internet, would mean you starting by learning Netiquette! But again, you can do what you will. I ain't ur keeper :)

And I guess that's about all that needs to be said for now.
Woo hoo thank you

Dallas, TX

#88 Aug 8, 2014
N8 the Grrr8 wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, lets get something strait. I don't care whatsoever, if YOU reply, I don't care if you even read my posts. I post for the THOUSANDS of people who will read this thread. I couldn't care less if you like it or not. The fact remains that MOST people do.
And we can argue all day about that, but look at the little icons on top of each post. You wanna talk about "majority rules"? Look at those icons if you want to see what the majority thinks. Look at yours, look at mine.
I'm sorry but EVERYBODY (who is anybody) hates homophobes!!! That's just how it is.
Furthermore, when you whine and cry about ur rights, then wanna take someone else's rights away, that makes you a HYPOCRITE. And the few people who don't hate homophobes, hate hypocrites.
Second, you were the one who brought up the topic of LGBT, or "homosexuality" as you called it, in Post #65 (which I then responded to). No mention of that topic exists, anywhere on this thread, before YOU mentioned it in Post #65.

-.-.-.-.-.

Or you could change and try to become a decent person, and a decent Internet user, if you want. Hey, it's all upto you. You have full control over you.
But you have ZERO control over me. And the only control you have over anyone else is the ability to positively interact with them. Which, on the Internet, would mean you starting by learning Netiquette! But again, you can do what you will. I ain't ur keeper :)
And I guess that's about all that needs to be said for now.
PWNED!!!!

You just pwned that nasty retard who does this all the time on Natchitoches forum btw. And other forums. She changes names and posts garbage and name calls anyone who doesnt bow down to her. Its about time somebody put her in her place. Thank you.
Woo hoo

Dallas, TX

#89 Aug 8, 2014
About the smoking ban I say live and let live. If you dont like the smoke just stay away from people who are smoking. Is that really so hard? Come on people cant we all get along?
smh

Natchitoches, LA

#90 Aug 8, 2014
Woo hoo wrote:
About the smoking ban I say live and let live. If you dont like the smoke just stay away from people who are smoking. Is that really so hard? Come on people cant we all get along?
No, no we can't all get along.

EVERYWHERE!!!

#91 Aug 8, 2014
Woo hoo thank you wrote:
<quoted text>
PWNED!!!!
You just pwned that nasty retard who does this all the time on Natchitoches forum btw. And other forums. She changes names and posts garbage and name calls anyone who doesnt bow down to her. Its about time somebody put her in her place. Thank you.
Oh really? She (and it is a "she", right?) posts under multiple names? I didn't realize that. I don't think I've viewed the Natchitoches forum. I'm coming in from the Smoking forum. I'll view it later though. What other names does she post under, btw?

And that's Natchitoches, LA, right? And btw, earlier I said MS, I meant LA. Sorry, their's another thread (actually 2) that's on some MS city's forums, and I mixed it up, sorry.

I don't really know much about that person. Other then her behavior on this thread. Which has so far been atrocious! I don't know how long it's been since I've scene a user with such terrible manners and Netiquette.

(Unless the person is really a troll. She's not really a troll (just attention-seeking) is she? Like doesn't care either way about the issues, just wants to cause trouble? I didn't get that impression (she struck me more as a POV-Pusher who just whines when they loose the debate), but again, I do not know that person at all.)

And for the record, I wasn't really trying to pwn anybody, really. I mean not like that anyway.

And let's face it, someone like "Yep", taking on someone like me, is a VERY unfair game. It is the epitome of a unfair game! It was clear from the start who was gonna win. It was a "rigged game". It wasn't even a contest for me.

See, people like that think they are something special. The one thing they never count on, though, is coming under the radar of someone like me. And yes, they get put in they're place, and embarrassed in front of the entire forum (in the case of Topix, it's lots of forums this thread appears on), and basically find out quick enough that their out of they're league.

And like I said before, I've been doing this since LAST CENTURY. I have dealt with EVERY single type of internet user in existence. The good ones, the bad ones, the smart ones, the stupid ones... You name it! They're ain't much I haven't sean ;)

And it is far from the first time I've had someone whine and cry and start name-calling, just because I won the debate, and that person is used to always winning.

"Waah! Wahhhh! Mommy! Daddy! I was trying to bully some people on the Internet, but they stood up to me, and completely won!!! Waaaaaahhhhhhh!"

Yeah, I've dealt with people like that PLENTY! I wish I had a nice, crisp $20 bill for every time I have!

I'm wandering what "Yep" will do next? I'm guessing it will be one of these:

A. Come back and insult me some more (in which case I probably won't respond, of course; I only posted #87 to help others).

B. Go to another thread and do the same thing again (although I'll probably be viewing the Natchitoches forum later, so it won't be beyond my field of vision, if this happens).

C. Leave this site, but go to another site and do the same thing.

What do yall think? Which one of those?

Or maybe, this would be awesome:

D. Learn from my post (Post #87) and CHANGE and become a DECENT HUMAN BEING.

I would absolutely love that option, D. That would be a totally perfect outcome!!!

And hey, it DOES happen every now and then! Way! Some people like that sometimes read my posts, and learn, and get right! It does happen.

Will it happen in this case? I dunno, but I do hope for as much. That would be the perfect outcome. However, unfortunately, it is not my decision to make :(
Howdyhey

Farmerville, LA

#92 Aug 8, 2014
N8 the Grrr8 wrote:
I'm wandering what "Yep" will do next? I'm guessing it will be one of these:

A. Come back and insult me some more (in which case I probably won't respond, of course; I only posted #87 to help others).

B. Go to another thread and do the same thing again (although I'll probably be viewing the Natchitoches forum later, so it won't be beyond my field of vision, if this happens).

C. Leave this site, but go to another site and do the same thing.

What do yall think? Which one of those?

Or maybe, this would be awesome:
D. Learn from my post (Post #87) and CHANGE and become a DECENT HUMAN BEING.
I would absolutely love that option, D. That would be a totally perfect outcome!!!
And hey, it DOES happen every now and then! Way! Some people like that sometimes read my posts, and learn, and get right! It does happen.
Will it happen in this case? I dunno, but I do hope for as much. That would be the perfect outcome. However, unfortunately, it is not my decision to make :(
I'm hoping for C. So that I don't have to be around her sorry ass ever again. That's what I vote for.
Yep

Natchitoches, LA

#93 Aug 9, 2014
N8 the Grrr8 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a riot! From what body orifice do you pick these little "factoids" of yours? 80-90% of the population bisexual? Please source this "fact", lol!

To be INFERIOR and claim SUPERIORITY is also laughable! "Isn't it not"?, lol!!

Are you 12 years old?
Yep

Natchitoches, LA

#94 Aug 9, 2014
Isn't it not? Or not. Please explain, please if it is not why it is not please. LOL! Big, gigantic belly-laugh, LOL!

I am Nate, and have a huge, swelled head, and think that I'm great! In fact, I think I am the great-est.

Wow, your posts roll up denial, projection, delusion and fantasy all up into one long drawn out rant.

Carry on, Nate.
Bosley

Natchitoches, LA

#95 Aug 9, 2014
As an employee at NSU I am grateful for this new policy. There is no reason students, faculty and staff who don't smoke should be subjected to second had smoke from those who do smoke.

If the smokers acted responsibily and stayed away from buildings and non-smokers,and could also not be slobs and threw the butts away in a can instead of the ground, I would have no problem with smoking on campus.
Amy

Natchitoches, LA

#96 Aug 9, 2014
Bosley wrote:
As an employee at NSU I am grateful for this new policy. There is no reason students, faculty and staff who don't smoke should be subjected to second had smoke from those who do smoke.
If the smokers acted responsibily and stayed away from buildings and non-smokers,and could also not be slobs and threw the butts away in a can instead of the ground, I would have no problem with smoking on campus.
The thing I was most offended by is that they included e-cigs in the ban, which don't produce ashes or butts or foul odors or poisonous fumes.
Bosley

Natchitoches, LA

#97 Aug 9, 2014
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
The thing I was most offended by is that they included e-cigs in the ban, which don't produce ashes or butts or foul odors or poisonous fumes.
The secondhand vapor released by the e-cigs do contain various toxins that can aggravate certain health ailments.

I would be all for setting up smokers huts well away from non-smokers plus fines if you throw your butts on the ground.
Yep

Natchitoches, LA

#98 Aug 9, 2014
Bosley wrote:
<quoted text>
The secondhand vapor released by the e-cigs do contain various toxins that can aggravate certain health ailments.
I would be all for setting up smokers huts well away from non-smokers plus fines if you throw your butts on the ground.
Anybody standing close enough to someone "smoking" an e-cig to be affected is more than likely the one "invading someone else's personal space". It is water vapor that is sucked in from the e-cig, and nothing is exhaled. You'd literally have to be within inches of the person.

Damn, even the HOSPITAL has a designated smoking area!
No smoking rule maker

United States

#99 Aug 9, 2014
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Anybody standing close enough to someone "smoking" an e-cig to be affected is more than likely the one "invading someone else's personal space". It is water vapor that is sucked in from the e-cig, and nothing is exhaled. You'd literally have to be within inches of the person.
Seriously? Well we will have to see about that next!
Get lost

Dallas, TX

#100 Aug 9, 2014
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a riot! From what body orifice do you pick these little "factoids" of yours? 80-90% of the population bisexual? Please source this "fact", lol!
To be INFERIOR and claim SUPERIORITY is also laughable! "Isn't it not"?, lol!!
Are you 12 years old?
We the majority of this thread have already established that grammar is 100% unimportant. So nothing is inferior about some using bad grammer. Dumbass! That is already established. You are stupid as shit and don't know how to listen to other people.

He probably won't reply to you which is probably a good idea. I just wanted to tell the others and embarrass you in front of everybody.You don't matter. your opinions on the smoking ban don't matter. Nobody cares what someone like you says. The things everyone else say have weight and are considered by public officials. The things you say are probably not. Because nobody cares what someone like you says. You are a joke.

Why don't you shut the fk up and go away? Nobody takes you seriously. Retard.
Get lost

Dallas, TX

#101 Aug 9, 2014
Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing you say will help the cause. If anything it harms the cause. Because people like you are viewed, by public officials, as loose cannons at best. If someone like you supports something they reckon that decent intelligent people would oppose it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 5 hr Lulu 7,236
News Gay men can now donate blood three months after... 15 hr Darby 4
News Discussing making City Park a smoke freea - 15 hr Richy Rich 38
News Psychiatrists say Trump is mentally ill 16 hr Humanspirit 131
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) Sun ellimac 199
News LifePoint's CEO gets raise (Sep '06) Sun nogames 35
News Analysis of the tortured syntax in Trump's New ... Sun Humanspirit 1
More from around the web