Scabies cases on the rise

Scabies cases on the rise

There are 13 comments on the The News story from May 20, 2008, titled Scabies cases on the rise. In it, The News reports that:

“The main reason is lack of awareness about the disease's mode of transmission, overcrowded living conditions and lack of personal hygiene”

Monday, May 19, 2008 Myra Imran Islamabad Health experts believe that the country could see an outbreak of scabies epidemic in the foreseeable future if prompt measures were not taken to treat it while making ... via The News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The News.

adanaturkey8385

Newman Lake, WA

#1 Jul 27, 2008
This is the 4th time I've had it. When I've had it, people don't believe that I have it. They don't know all the tricks to getting rid of it. They've even tryed to put things in place to stop me from getting the cream. This is why there is a problems, officials don't believe people in the USA. They'd rather call cps on you, put you on drugs to make you think you don't have them. Believe me, it's happened to me!
This_is_biowarfa re

AOL

#2 Jul 27, 2008
civilian response to invasive biological agents is lacking. civilians have not been trained in simple tech/med decon proceedures.
when microscopic orgnisms are drilling holes in peoples skin this is called biological invasion.

civilians are not educated in proper response. read book link on tech decon and med decon and help yourself.
This_is_biowarfa re

AOL

#3 Jul 27, 2008
A clue: STOP asking stupid people for answers
stupid people have incorrect answers,wrong answers and bad answers.
INTELLEGENT PEOPLE DO NOT ASK STUPID PEOPLE FOR ANSWERS.
our official commander in chief george w. bush has been trying to teach stupid civilian crybabies about biowarfare protection education and response for over 8 years now. do NOT waste time blaming others, THEY ARE JUST UNEDUCATED, IGNORANT OR UNEDUCABLE, maybe they are moles or idiots, who knows who cares....Just educate yourself read book link on med/tech decon. PART OF THE SOLUTION NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Good Luck
jhaze from philippines

Philippines

#4 Aug 27, 2008
where's the article that i'm looking for...
isohunt

Bolton, UK

#5 Sep 26, 2008
I recently went to pakistan for 3 months, a few of my relatives there had itchy symptons, they all thought it would go with a bit of oil. My cousin went their and he had similar symptons he got back to the uk and they told him it was scabies.

The doctors in pakistan are stupid, you tell them you have scabies yet they wont give you cream to cure it they will just give you tablets.
Lilly

UK

#6 Sep 30, 2008
Doctors are also human and make mistakes. I had scabies and was treated accordingly with the good old 3 day method of benzyl benzoate.

My friend however was given permethrin which cleared it up but got reinfected again. Sadly, they developed crusted scabies on the elbow and it went septic. A nurse at the hospital said it wasn't scabies and I told them to just apply the benzyl benzoate. They did and it cleared up.

Sometimes nurses and doctors make mistakes, they are only human afterall.

Since: Oct 08

AOL

#7 Oct 18, 2008
i had 6 perm treatments 2 iver pills then 2 lindane and i tried sulfur and vaseline now im trying the neem oil this isnt working y didnt any of this work this is crazy nothing seems to work can ya help me please and i thought that using neem oil soap and i put some drops in avaano lotion this was gonna stop the biting the itch the pain but its not would it hurt if i used some perm cream after i used the lotion with neem oil and i do have them from neck up as well whom ever said u dont get it in ur head eyes eyebrows nose ears and lips dont know what there talking about i know im not crazy can some one help this is all within a lil over a month
mee

Edmonton, Canada

#8 Oct 22, 2008
Anna.
You sure they are scabies and not some other mite. If they are not scabies you have to identify the mite. Then determine what kills the mite then determine the life cycle. You might want to buy a microscope for this. A lot of the time the victim is the one who has to do the diagnoseing.
then start the attack intelegently.
Do a search for ivermectin(stromectol). this stuff is good cause you injest it and your skin becomes toxic to the mites for a few days. take it again and hopefully between 2 doses while keeping your skin toxic you kill the mites over more than 1 life cycle.
But be sure to research to know how much and how often to repeat to ensure it works.
I have never been infected but I did once think I had something and researched the heck out of mites in general.
Oh.... don't forget to prey.
OVER 9000

United States

#9 Oct 22, 2008
Scabies is epic win.
Pietrad

Porirua, New Zealand

#11 Oct 31, 2008
--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.549 / Virus Database: 270.8.2/1743 - Release Date: 10/24/2008 8:33 AM
GOING CRAZY -- Anna wrote:
i do have them from neck up as well whom ever said u dont get it in ur head eyes eyebrows nose ears and lips dont know what there talking about i know im not crazy can some one help this is all within a lil over a month

Hi Anna,
Have a look at this report from MERCK on their trials with Ivermectin(Stromectiol)- esp. top of p2. http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars...

and also this page from 'Topix' forum - esp. post No.44.
http://www.topix.com/forum/health/scabies/T9H...

Hang-on in there and good luck.
Residence of Alberta

Fort Mcmurray, Canada

#13 Jan 31, 2013
isohunt wrote:
I recently went to pakistan for 3 months, a few of my relatives there had itchy symptons, they all thought it would go with a bit of oil. My cousin went their and he had similar symptons he got back to the uk and they told him it was scabies.
The doctors in pakistan are stupid, you tell them you have scabies yet they wont give you cream to cure it they will just give you tablets.
I think you are right, I honestly believe there is an epidemic out there,
Residence of Alberta

Fort Mcmurray, Canada

#14 Jan 31, 2013
I have been to the doctor and he asked me if I thought that scabies were out to get me!
I have seen so many people with tiny little dark scabs on their hands that I think one in four people have it. I have asked people if they know what could be causing the itch and some people say, I have had this for five years, or doctor said it was dry skin. It seems to be mis-diagnosed. Some people say its dry skin or eczema. Some people say its acne.
It causes a ripple effect, it has a six week incubation period. The doctor in Australia said that some people can have it from 8 months to 2 years before they realize they have a problem.
Some medical studies I have read, state that if it goes untreated for prolonged periods it can become a dangerous infection like HIV because they burrow little tunnels under your skin and destroys the immune system.
It wakes me up at night and it is very painful at times. It seems to be attracted to certain blood types because apparently it can smell.
People with sensitive skin types can easily get it on their face and scalp. It looks like acne but it's incredible itchy for me. Some people can live with it and hardly notice it.
People do get offended when you notice the scabs and mention it, others are too embarrassed to tell their doctors but have no problem spreading it and ignoring they have a problem.
I think I am going to wear plastic gloves to avoid contracting it again and again.
misery_in_au

Baulkham Hills, Australia

#15 Jan 31, 2013
Its in plague proportions in Northern Australia. I think it was World Health who estimated approx 10% of the world's population have it at any one time. As urban populations become denser the problem will only increase. Since its not life threatening the govts won't do anything. Treatment protocols 30 years out of date.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prosecutors' lawsuit says opioid drug makers de... 8 hr South 2
News Bipolar Disorder and Social Security Disability... 11 hr observe 44
News Sarah Baker, M.D., Joins CHI Memorial Medical G... 11 hr doper 1
News Brazil judge rules homosexuality a disease, app... 12 hr Dallas 4
News Early Trauma, Depression, and the Need for Soci... 14 hr Humanspirit 2
News What Makes Trump So Dangerous? 15 hr Humanspirit 3
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) Wed Trayzaf 7,264
More from around the web