Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8219 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

bob

Pompano Beach, FL

#6174 Jun 28, 2012
What kind of mesh did you have ? Also, are you ok to go to work?
Lory wrote:
I had double hernia surgery repaired with mesh in 2008. A few days later, I went to the ER, and saw the trauma Dr. that performed the surgery, telling him I felt ripping and burning sansation. He told me it might be the nerves they cut, and gave me Gabapentine. The Medicine did not work! I've been in and out of the hospital ever since with pelvic pain on left side. They always balme it on a small cyst, or sometimes they will hospitalize me for two days, and treat me for pain, but no diagnoses. Now two months ago, I see on TV about the Mesh recall lawsuits. I go on the internet, and what I read is unbelievable!! I am fatigue, joint pain, pelvic pain, which the gyn, tells me is not gynocological. I feel a peircing, pinching,ripping,burning pain on my left side. I just saw a different surgeon, but same hosptial because the surgeon that did the surgery left. The new surgeon blames scar tissue. Son't know what to do..
Huey

Tremont, IL

#6175 Jun 28, 2012
I had the surgery and have had trouble with urination - It just doesnt seem to have a lot of force behind it. I also have mild to medium pain in the patch area. Anyone else with these symptoms?
Corinna Adkins

Mount Pleasant, MI

#6176 Jun 28, 2012
James Verner wrote:
I had hernia sugery 4 years ago and have had bad ab pain since the 1st week of the mesh being put in.I also have blood (lots) when I have a bowel movement 3-10 days per month.The surgen never warned me about this type of thing and my own Dr could not figure out the problem.Looks like Ive figured it out in about 5 mins of going online.Now my Dr has ordered a operations report.Anyone else experiencing this please contact me. [email protected]
I am having the same problem, where do I go to get help? I have no insurance, and I do not know what to do. Please contact me at [email protected]
Corinna Adkins

Mount Pleasant, MI

#6177 Jun 28, 2012
I need help!!!!!! I had a hernia repair in 2009, and I have had abdominal pain since then, and I do not have insurance. Where can I go to get help? If anyone can help me please contact me at [email protected]
All Meshed Up

Montrose, CO

#6178 Jun 29, 2012
Me again wrote:
They'll pass this on to some crooked lawyers and corrupt judge and nothing will be done as with the rest of mesh cases.
Yep....now your getting the idea. Motley crew will do the same thing that they did to the Kugel Ring victims. We all have our medical records and so Motley crew doesn't have to investigate much do they? Its mainly a slam dunk for them because of all the obvious evidence available. What pisses me off is with all of that they still take a chunk of the settlement and negotiate the rest away to insurance and MediCare and the crumbs go to the victims who are forgotten after all the Hoopla about how bad a product (fill in your mesh product name here) is over. Now that the government is taking over our health care anyone want to guess what might happen to ANY of our complaints, problems or Deaths because of mesh that the government approved. We are screwed......
patty

Springfield, OR

#6179 Jul 2, 2012
So the biggest lawsuit payout from a big pharma, paid to the Gov, for fraud in not having the drug approved by the FDA? What about J and J and the 100's of women suing for the same type issue, no FDA approval of their certain female product. I wonder what the plantiffs will end up with in that MDL ? Not nearly what the gov will end up with in this case- read onhttp://news.yahoo.com/pharma -giant-gsk-pay-3b-largest-ever -healthcare-150453684--abc-new s-topstories.html
All Meshed Up

Montrose, CO

#6180 Jul 2, 2012
Corinna Adkins wrote:
I need help!!!!!! I had a hernia repair in 2009, and I have had abdominal pain since then, and I do not have insurance. Where can I go to get help? If anyone can help me please contact me at [email protected]
Hello Corinna. There is a Dr Peterson in Las Vegas if you Google No insurance mesh removal he will come up. Not sure what other options are available as most Dr.'s want nothing to do with implanted mesh. Give Dr Peterson a shot and let us know. Best of Luck and Best Wishes......
RR Jr

AOL

#6181 Jul 3, 2012
Will I wonder when any noncrooked government agency will come down hard on mesh manufactures? I kind of cross refering to the news of GSK. Just look at Glaxo Smith Kline. They just got slapped a $3 BILLION DOLLAR In FINES. The largest health Care FRAUD Settlement in U.S.history. Everyone needs read the article.. Now it will make one deeply wonder if this is going on with mesh??? We all the answer to that! I don't see why it won't be happening. In order for anything to happen to bring mesh more to justic court, it needs a whislteblower from inside to come out and tell the truth. Instead of taking bribes, like as to what was going on with GSK that brought them down.
Me again

Mcpherson, KS

#6182 Jul 3, 2012
Posted: 03 Jul 2012 06:15 AM PDT

The number of lawsuits filed over the AlloDerm hernia patch continue to increase as the litigation moves forward in New Jersey state court.

According to a case list issued last week, there are currently more than 150 AlloDerm lawsuits that are centralized for pretrial proceedings in the Superior Court for Middlesex County, and a case management conference is scheduled for next week, on July 10.

The complaints have been filed on behalf of individuals throughout the United States who suffered serious and painful complications from the AlloDerm patch, after it was used for a hernia repair or abdominal reconstructive surgery.

Originally introduced in the early 1990s, the AlloDerm Regenerative Tissue Matrix is a skin graft product that is manufactured from tissue harvested from cadavers, which is stripped of the original cells to ensure that recipients do not reject it.

While AlloDerm was originally introduced by LifeCell Corporation for use with burn victims during plastic surgery and for dental procedures, the manufacturer has also promoted the patch for hernia surgery and abdominal repairs.

According to allegations raised in the AlloDerm hernia repair lawsuits, when the patch is used in the abdomen it must be “pre-stretched” to keep it from expanding over time. However, LifeCell allegedly failed to adequately warn doctors about this risk, which could cause abdominal deformity, pain, disability and hernia recurrence.

LifeCell initiated a silent recall of AlloDerm for use in hernia repair surgeries, according to the master complaint filed in New Jersey. LifeCell no longer advertises, promotes or markets AlloDerm for use during hernia or abdominal surgery, and plaintiffs allege that the product was never safe or suitable for such uses due to its elasticity.

Although AlloDerm had been on the market since about 1992, LifeCell did not inform surgeons that it could stretch by up to 50% until 2008. In May 2011, the company instructed surgeons to suture AlloDerm under significant tension in order to reduce its ability to stretch as much as possible.

AlloDerm was the first commercial product sold by LifeCell, and grew to generate more than $167 million in revenue for the company in 2007. It has been used in more than one million grafts and implants. For hernia repair, LifeCell now promotes the use of Strattice Reconstructive Tissue Matrix, a surgical mesh made using pig skin.
billibob

Springfield, OR

#6183 Jul 3, 2012
Me again wrote:
Posted: 03 Jul 2012 06:15 AM PDT
The number of lawsuits filed over the AlloDerm hernia patch continue to increase as the litigation moves forward in New Jersey state court.
According to a case list issued last week, there are currently more than 150 AlloDerm lawsuits that are centralized for pretrial proceedings in the Superior Court for Middlesex County, and a case management conference is scheduled for next week, on July 10.
The complaints have been filed on behalf of individuals throughout the United States who suffered serious and painful complications from the AlloDerm patch, after it was used for a hernia repair or abdominal reconstructive surgery.
Originally introduced in the early 1990s, the AlloDerm Regenerative Tissue Matrix is a skin graft product that is manufactured from tissue harvested from cadavers, which is stripped of the original cells to ensure that recipients do not reject it.
While AlloDerm was originally introduced by LifeCell Corporation for use with burn victims during plastic surgery and for dental procedures, the manufacturer has also promoted the patch for hernia surgery and abdominal repairs.
According to allegations raised in the AlloDerm hernia repair lawsuits, when the patch is used in the abdomen it must be “pre-stretched” to keep it from expanding over time. However, LifeCell allegedly failed to adequately warn doctors about this risk, which could cause abdominal deformity, pain, disability and hernia recurrence.
LifeCell initiated a silent recall of AlloDerm for use in hernia repair surgeries, according to the master complaint filed in New Jersey. LifeCell no longer advertises, promotes or markets AlloDerm for use during hernia or abdominal surgery, and plaintiffs allege that the product was never safe or suitable for such uses due to its elasticity.
Although AlloDerm had been on the market since about 1992, LifeCell did not inform surgeons that it could stretch by up to 50% until 2008. In May 2011, the company instructed surgeons to suture AlloDerm under significant tension in order to reduce its ability to stretch as much as possible.
AlloDerm was the first commercial product sold by LifeCell, and grew to generate more than $167 million in revenue for the company in 2007. It has been used in more than one million grafts and implants. For hernia repair, LifeCell now promotes the use of Strattice Reconstructive Tissue Matrix, a surgical mesh made using pig skin.
What about people who had it put in in the early 2000's? That would make it 10 years and wouldn't the statute of limitations be expired for those people? I know someone who had the Alloderm, and although it reherniated shortly after implant there was nothing he could do, even back then. he did call the company, he did tell them way back in 2006 what had happened and they told him then the statute of limitations had expired. He didnt have pain with it over the years, but did have it removed last year. Wouldnt it be too late? I mean, could someone even get medical records dating back 10 years?
Anonymous

Springfield, OR

#6184 Jul 4, 2012
#1} Doctors need to man up and not blame the patients, but go ahead and blame the negative outcome of mesh use on the mesh. Why are they hiding the truth? No one wants to sue the doctor, they want compensated from the company that made the mesh, and rightly so. people want to get their medical bills paid back, their lost wages back. They want to get these meshes out and have a normal life again. Free of pain pills, free of pain.
#2} This will all come to a huge head when someone who has had more than they can take, will walk into the FDA or one of these mesh manufacturers and just start shooting. Then maybe the people in this forum, and all mesh victims will get the attention of the FDA and the manufacturers. This will happen, when someone is terminally ill from one of these horrid pieces of crud and they have nothing to lose. It is just a matter of time. So far, nothing has worked. Not one or 1000 voices will change the lives of the thousands of sufferers until something happens to get the attention of the agency that is supposed to be watching out for the safety of medical devices.
#3 The FDA will never ever pull these polypropylene hunks of garbage completely off the market because the pharma companies and oil companies run the american government.
#4) By no means does this mean someone should go off with a gun, oh god no. What it means is that it will take something to get the attention of all Americans before the FDA and Feds will listen. Its not enough for the FDA just to know people are ill, in pain, and dying from mesh implants. Something huge will happen, no telling when, or by whom. Something always gives, eventually. What will that something be? Every single victim, their families and friends march on the white house? Not likely to happen, who has any travel money left after spending every red cent on medical care as a result of these meshes?
n3129yy

Kankakee, IL

#6185 Jul 4, 2012
CAN ANYONE GIVE A 2012 UPDATE ON HUGEL MESH HERINA PATCH LAWSUITS IN FEDERAL COURT RHODE ILAND NOT GETTING MUCH INFO FROM MY LAWYER MY CS. WAS FILLED IN 2005
n3129yy

Kankakee, IL

#6186 Jul 4, 2012
riverrat i have steve jhonson law firm in forth worth texas as my lawyer have u heard on any payouts yet i never hear from this lawyer i call jhonson law firm and get same bs every four months nothing is happening my cs is being held up in rhode island
All Meshed Up

Montrose, CO

#6187 Jul 5, 2012
n3129yy wrote:
riverrat i have steve jhonson law firm in forth worth texas as my lawyer have u heard on any payouts yet i never hear from this lawyer i call jhonson law firm and get same bs every four months nothing is happening my cs is being held up in rhode island
Hope you have better luck with the Johnson firm than I did. Was with them for about 3 months and then was told that they had just changed their criteria and I no longer fit within it. They had as much compassion as a door nail. Good Luck.....
All Meshed Up

Montrose, CO

#6188 Jul 5, 2012
n3129yy wrote:
CAN ANYONE GIVE A 2012 UPDATE ON HUGEL MESH HERINA PATCH LAWSUITS IN FEDERAL COURT RHODE ILAND NOT GETTING MUCH INFO FROM MY LAWYER MY CS. WAS FILLED IN 2005
The last I heard was that Kugel was disputeing the settlement and the amount and dispursment of the funds.
Me again

Mcpherson, KS

#6189 Jul 5, 2012
Posted: 25 Jun 2012 07:13 AM PDT

A motion has been filed to create a sixth transvaginal mesh MDL, involving lawsuits over Coloplast pelvic mesh, and a panel of federal judges will meet later this month to consider whether the cases should be consolidated for pretrial proceedings and centralized before the same judge in West Virginia who is presiding over cases involving similar products sold by other manufacturers.

There are currently four different MDLs (multidistrict litigations) centralized before Chief District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, involving lawsuits over transvaginal mesh products sold by C.R. Bard, American Medical Systems (AMS), Boston Scientific and Ethicon.

A fifth MDL, which was established in 2004 for lawsuits involving Mentor ObTape, is centralized in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia. However, many of the Mentor ObTape lawsuits have already settled and the litigation is at a very advanced stage.

All of the complaints involve similar allegations that pelvic mesh products sold by the companies for use during transvaginal surgery to repair pelvic organ prolapse (POP) or female stress urinary incontinence (SUI) caused women to suffer serious complications, such as pelvic pain, infection and erosion of the mesh through the vagina.

On May 9, a group of plaintiffs filed a motion to expand the scope of the Mentor ObTape MDL to include certain pelvic mesh products sold by Coloplast. Mentor Corp. is also a defendant in many of the complaints involving Coloplast mesh products, since they were originally developed by Mentor and then sold to Coloplast in 2006 with all of its other surgical, urological and healthcare-related business.

Although plaintiffs proposed that the Coloplast mesh cases should be added to the existing Mentor MDL, Coloplast has opposed that request, arguing that the MDL is already “very mature” and that the proceedings currently only involve one product, the ObTape, which only involves Mentor Corp. Therefore, the company argued that the litigation does not involve questions or facts that are common to all cases and that a separate MDL should be established for Coloplast pelvic mesh lawsuits.

In a separate motion (PDF) filed early last month, Coloplast requested that the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation establish a fifth MDL before Judge Goodwin for all lawsuits over their pelvic mesh products, including the Aris Transobturator Sling and the Novasilk sling.

There are currently at least 13 product liability lawsuits over Coloplast pelvic mesh products, involving 24 plaintiffs. The cases are currently pending in at least eight federal district courts, and the manufacturer is requesting that the lawsuits be coordinated during pretrial proceedings to reduce duplicative discovery, eliminate contradictory rulings from different federal district judges and to serve the convenience of the witnesses, the parties and the courts.

Coloplast argues that the West Virginia federal court is more appropriate than the Georgia federal court because seven Coloplast vaginal mesh lawsuits are already filed there and Judge Goodwin is already coordinating multiple MDLs involving different manufacturers.

The MDL panel is scheduled meet in Cleveland on July 26, at which time oral arguments on the proposed Coloplast mesh MDL have been scheduled.
riverrat

Winona, MN

#6190 Jul 5, 2012
n3129yy
johnson law firm droped my case and told me the ins company was not paying ,when mesh was cut out get back to them
All Meshed Up

Montrose, CO

#6192 Jul 6, 2012
riverrat wrote:
n3129yy
johnson law firm droped my case and told me the ins company was not paying ,when mesh was cut out get back to them
That is basically what they said to me. I think it was "when the ring breaks and they have to take it out....call us". Made me feel So special! IF I survive the ring break, If they are able to remove it without killing me(bleed out on the table), IF there is still a case because of statute of limitation, If there is an honest to God real lawyer out there and not these vultures, I wouldn't call Johnson to let them know their building was on fire. That goes for the Motley Crew too!
mbushey

Kingsland, TX

#6193 Jul 6, 2012
The post from "Me Again" on July 3rd covering Alloderm was interesting. When used for dental and burn procedures did the alloderm have as many adverse advents as when used for hernia repair. I know the gortex mesh used for aorta repair "Aortic Abdominal Anyruesuems" (lower aorta) and Marfans (upper aorta) has little if any adverse events that I can find, reported. This mesh is placed by cardiac surgeons and the surgery is treated as complicated not the "simple procedure" that hernia surgery is classed as. I know someone on the forum is going to bite my head off for typing this but what the 3ell. I hate hernia surgery and believe there's yet to be a meshocast to happen when all that polypropylene starts shrinking in all of those "successfull hernia repairs" performed proir to 2005. Anytime a foreign substance is placed in a body it should have a complicated status. Unfortunatley I don't see that happening ever.
riverrat

Winona, MN

#6194 Jul 6, 2012
fully agree with ya allmeshed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medicine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Planned Parenthood seeks fed study of fetal tis... 6 min Joe Balls 115
News Are illegal immigrants bringing 'tremendous' di... 39 min goonsquad 106
News Save the Chickens and the Children 1 hr Gof print 1
News Vaccine Didn't Cause Girl's 'Autism-Like' Illness 1 hr friend 43
News Pelvic exam guidelines confuse women (Jul '14) 3 hr pailrider 89
News Pregnancy Symptoms - 12 Very Early Symptoms of ... (Jun '07) 5 hr Qhibiky 6,436
News Beat smoking, other bad habits with better self... 6 hr Anti-Americans ar... 2
Vagus Nerve Disorder Causes Symptoms Treatments (Feb '12) Fri weary 96
More from around the web